• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight Officially Banned!

Status
Not open for further replies.

~Tac~

One day at a time.
NNID
Kamidachi
Switch FC
SW-6745-2861-2990
I'm aware mods are patrolling this thread, but I still wish it'd be locked due to the region flaunting and unreasonable arguing. But seeing as how it's 67 pages in a day and straight from Alpha, I don't see that happening til the ban actually happens.

Just let the MK boards deal with it or something.

How dare you refer to me with an ethnical slur aimed at Italian americans.
I could've sworn he was Jewish or something. Or New York..-an. A New Yorker*

I'll be checking out the MK boards when this thread is done.
This thread is amazing.

Bees!

Smash Ace
Hmmm maybe they can do that against EU or Japan then. It would be interesting to see how either deal with such tactics. Every video I saw from either region is always exciting and amazing but I seldom see those tactics used to the degree they are used here in the U.S. Who knows? Maybe either have a way to teach us about dealing with that(doubt it.) but still, I wanna see apex because although I am doubtful, I am still open to the idea that both countries can outperform our MKs.

Gambe17

Smash Cadet
Qft.

I guess MK rage since Apex falls before ban date. Some the MK mains will show off the 6 jumps, glide, and three recovery moves.
Your sooo happy that MK got banned aren't ya? We'll see who laughs last.

Browny

Smash Hater
I'll take this challenge. I think I'll have the data mining and analysis done in the next four days. I can't say I'll prove he's broken, but I will have a definitive statistically grounded answer to the question. You may say we can't account for all the variables, and I agree to an extent. But we can make certain limiting assumptions and push forward with an analysis.

This won't require the use of other games as a comparison either. I'm fairly certain my second pass will use even more robust methods than the first too. I'm also fairly certain that if this type of analytical method is good enough for the scientific research community, it'll be good enough for this one as well.

Four days. Give it a look when I'm done.
forgot to respond to this... but plz remember to let me know, I feel it will get completely buried wherever it is posted.

I feel I didnt explain my point enough though and I still want to know how your approach would deal with this.

I think that MK is too good, but not good enough that he is bannable. We have seen it countless times before, the best MK's get beaten by all sorts of characters, sometimes multiple times over many meetings. This is totally independent to his dominance however which is undeniable and reason to be banned. This is simply because they best players will more often than not, use metaknight. If someone out there has serious determination to win and has the skill/practice to back it up, why would they use anyone but MK? Sure theres the 'MK mains wont know my characters matchup properly' argument but that only goes so far.

Whether MK was technically 1% more viable than snake overall, or 100% more viable, he is always going to attract the best players. So now we have two issues, MK has an increased dominance in a feedback-loop scenario where the best players use him, so the next best players will follow suit in order to beat the best players. Then there is MK's natural strengths which will artificially inflate MK mains placings in tournaments, simply because he is the best character and this would happen to anyone.

The point is, how far beyond the next best character, is MK? You will never know by looking at his dominance alone. Because that reason applies to the best character in ANY game. What options do we have to analyse how good MK is, if it is impossible to remove those two influences on his dominance? How can one do this in an unbiased tournament situation, the instant you attempt to measure this by introducing additional constraints, you have biased it already and people will argue this all day, and fairly too.

Hence my overall standpoint on this, whether MK is truly broken or not is irrelevant. Trying to prove this beyond reasonable doubt... I dont see that as being possible. By all means, show us your work but I wll be highly skeptical, the same I was with John#'s data even though I fully approve a ban, Ill say right here that his data proves nothing, its an opinion with biased numbers attached to it. What does matter, is what the actual players of the game want. If you dont listen to the community, you have absolutely no right to dictate rules in a self-appointed position of authority.

So its that simple. To me, both sides have nothing but biased opinions and data which can easily be manipulated to give the results you want (I know all about these tricks). What separates them, is what the actual players want. If the vast majority all come to the conclusion that MK is harming the scene and detrimental to it in all aspects, then you must accept it. If anti-banners in a position of authority deny that on the basis of them being 'wrong' without any data to back it up which is utterly impossible for them to provide which cant be countered with equally skewed 'data', then they should have no say on the matter.

link2702

Smash Champion
something tells me the metaknights at apex gonna be playing 10x gayer then usual.

their character gets banned, they gonna make everyone's lives and every match there a boring frustrating timeout.

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
something tells me the metaknights at apex gonna be playing 10x gayer then usual.

their character gets banned, they gonna make everyone's lives and every match there a boring frustrating timeout.
if im there, i'll be sure to make them time themselves out, like i did to rain

:troll:

Krystedez

Awaken the Path

This... is... my destiny.

Man I'm going off topic sorry. Anyways. I'm going to be waiting for most of the old high level MK players to begin ****** it up with new characters. I want to see M2K main Dedede again, but since he's getting a job I guess, I'd like to see Ally pick up Pit for a good secondary instead. I know he already has ICs and Snake, but I just saw a recent mid-tier tourney and he went Pit... That's tight.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Truly epic, Krystedez. Funny thing? I don't hate any character, I just happen to understand that he needs banning to produce a new metagame. It's that simple. I love the accusations, they sooooo speak about what we actually mean. Sad, really.

Atlus8

Smash Master
This is a sad day for me.

I really love this community. I've met a lot of amazing people through it and had some great experiences. I've been in the competitive smash scene since I was 13, I am now 22. It's been a very big part of my life.

Despite all of that I am very disappointed in the brawl community. I've defended brawl and worked to bring the smash community closer. I took part in all of the mk discussions until the URC one. I could have but chose not to as I'm not really part of the URC. It's understandable that people don't like the character but I've never had anyone convince me in the slightest that he needs to be banned.

I understand this is a decision that the URC made and it will affect their tournaments, so I will respect that and not throw pointless banter at them. I'm more disappointed in the community as a whole, whose constant complaints led to this. I implore people to host mk legal tournaments if they disagree with the decision. Bashing the URC will do nothing, and sure your tournament won't be sticked, but who cares? For those who wanted mk banned, enjoy, though you could have been hosting mk banned tournaments this entire time(I know of them, but the are very few comparatively).

I personally, am pretty much done with this community. I will still go to local tournaments, and travel with my girlfriend to a few tournaments just to see friends that I've made and have a good time, but I won't be taking the tournaments seriously. In that regard I am going to pick up melee again.

I look forward to seeing new results and such, but it's something I never wanted to look forward to. I never expected to be disappointed like this by this community but I guess I should have.

Enjoy brawl.
^^^^^^
I just want you guys to feel ashamed of yourselves!

I wonder how long it's gonna be until the Brawl community bans Diddy, Snake and Falco because there aren't any MKs to take them down!

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
I'm pretty sure pro-ban has the last laugh, and idk when we will stop laughing because we keep laughing at you.

Anti-ban looked better before you showed up dog. Smashchu>you, that's a lot coming from someone who's had to put up with this every FG to Brawl comparison stuff from Chu for a while now.

Bees!

Smash Ace
Same thing here HyperFalcon. Actually MK vs ROB was my favorite MU. I usually lose when the MK knows what they are doing but I always am forced to play a perfect game. Also it is fun trying to beat the odds sometimes. I might miss him a little but overall I think the game will live longer and have more diversity.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
@Bees!: Well, I never faced a high-level one. Only human one I faced was my cousin, who isn't much better than me, really. I used Ganondorf and somehow won.(on Battlefield, I think) Fun match regardless.

@TokyoGamer7: Because of making Brawl upatchable, or clearly making MK way overpowered (and the other members of the Kirby cast pretty darn good)?

Steam

Smash Hero
gambe is the maddest poster I have ever seen in my entire life.

you're making anti-ban look really really bad bro.

Bees!

Smash Ace
Its the tights. He didn't like the tights. But ya apart from melee Ganon. The rest of triforce has been pretty terrible overall. Which is sad because I love Link :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom