• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight Officially Banned!

Status
Not open for further replies.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I guess we can give up on Brawl then.

Time for everyone to move to Melee/Project M.

Sirlin said a lot of wrong things. One of them, however, isn't wrong. A character in a fighter should only be banned if the quality of the fighting game is so high that the game is worth saving.

Brawl is not one of those games.

-Ran

Smash Master
For me it was a combination of the following for why I voted for the ban:
-Meta Knight being used by almost 20% of players and this number continually increased (projected for 35% of all players by next year)
-Meta Knight winning upwards of 40-50% of all money in a given week
-Meta Knight requiring multiple rules JUST to keep him legal. More and more people wanting EVERYTHING ELSE BANNED except for MK, just to keep MK legal
-The community being overwhelmingly for the ban since about 18 months ago, with polls 18 months ago at over 60% in favor to more recent polls being over 75% in favor of the ban
-Meta Knight IS broken. He has zero bad match ups on any stage and when played correctly (aka air camp or planking but we basically banned/limited planking) no one should touch him.
AZ saved me the time to write this, but he mirrored my sentiments.

Shanadeus

Smash Rookie
Smashboards just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about fighting culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in competitive racing gaming (like Mario Kart) where you can become successful by being an *******. If you screw someone over in the fighting community, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the general brawl players, after hearing about this, is not going to want to participate in thisr tournament, nor will they support Smashboards. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Smashboards has alienated an entire league of competitive fighting gamers with this move.

Smashboards, publicly apologize and re-instate Metaknight or you can kiss your forum goodbye.

TheCubeStud

Smash Apprentice
The Empire officially strikes. Chancellor Zealot and his crew have done quite the job here. I can't wait for the other communities to laugh at us even harder because we "had to" ban a character because people aren't willing to not play on awful stages where MK is really good. I can't wait to see tournament attendance begin to decline even more next year, as MK players feel alienated and no longer want to play, while new players won't give a **** because they're too bad to think MK is top tier to begin with and have a pocket Ike in case of MK match-ups. This will do nothing good for the community, mark my words. This won't help attendance, and will get mid-tier players until they realize they still don't do any better because the top players will just use other top-tier characters and the whole ban will be a moot point.

Thank God the NW doesn't give a damn about Unity.

Soldner Kei

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SoldnerKei
well, as a Mexican smasher we found this tricky, I think it works the same for EU, but not quite, since we use Unity Ruleset for our tourneys, at least as an TO in sonora I do, so, I don't know what should be done about the "Only applies to USA and Canada" thingy

should MK be banned here too, should it be a decision of the mexican community, or not ban at all?
what do you think guys?

Mr-R

Smash Champion
Members are allowed to say what they voted on, but we're not allowed to speak for others.
So you're telling me, 15 players who don't have nearly enough experience (cept bizkit ) as most of the top players are deciding who is and who isn't allowed to be used for the other 99999 people :glare:

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
I guess we can give up on Brawl then.

Time for everyone to move to Melee/Project M.

Sirlin said a lot of wrong things. One of them, however, isn't wrong. A character in a fighter should only be banned if the quality of the fighting game is so high that the game is worth saving.

Brawl is not one of those games.
Who are you to say that 3 years of amazing events and a large community of mostly good-meaning competetive-spirted players is not quality?

Who are you to SAY.

Flayl

Smash Hero
There is so much wrong with this statement that I simply have to say that you are probably a ****** with no idea how Brawl works and your underwear on your head.
Your ignorance is amazing. I used to wonder if you would ever revert to your old ways of being a terrible poster, here's my answer.

Jellyfishn

Smash Journeyman
Wow. It finally happened.....I wanted it to happen...but I didn't think it would....

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
A lot more chars are gonna show up obviously lol

Tier list will be vastly different I think. A lot of the list was more based on how well they do vs mk compared to anyone else, rather than actual character traits

:phone:

-Ran

Smash Master
well, as a Mexican smasher we found this tricky, I think it works the same for EU, but not quite, since we use Unity Ruleset for our tourneys, at least as an TO in sonora I do, so, I don't know what should be done about the "Only applies to USA and Canada" thingy

should MK be banned here too, should it be a decision of the mexican community, or not ban at all?
what do you think guys?
We aren't trying to overstep our boundaries. We can't make the policy for your country, but you can look at the results of our decision and come to your own choice.

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
people will quit and people will rejoin.

I hope M2K doesnt drop the game if he honestly wanted to stay in the community. Just use a character and bring him to the top or max.

Ally, use wario, Imma use Pit <3

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Who are you to say that 3 years of amazing events and a large community of mostly good-meaning competetive-spirted players is not quality?

Who are you to SAY.
The community wasn't split in two over a game that never went as big as Melee.

Brawl is rubbish out of the series. Not worth risking its death over this.

Brawl might get three years.

Now lets see if it'll get Four.

But what's Guaranteed? Melee will get Eleven.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
For me it was a combination of the following for why I voted for the ban:
-Meta Knight being used by almost 20% of players and this number continually increased (projected for 35% of all players by next year)
-Meta Knight winning upwards of 40-50% of all money in a given week
-Meta Knight requiring multiple rules JUST to keep him legal. More and more people wanting EVERYTHING ELSE BANNED except for MK, just to keep MK legal
-The community being overwhelmingly for the ban since about 18 months ago, with polls 18 months ago at over 60% in favor to more recent polls being over 75% in favor of the ban
-Meta Knight IS broken. He has zero bad match ups on any stage and when played correctly (aka air camp or planking but we basically banned/limited planking) no one should touch him.
- happens in all games its just the evolution of a fighting game
- same as before evo in 3rd strike had 20-30 ppl using Chun/Yun
-the game was never designed well to begin with
- people on forums complain all the time this is nothing new or old in any community
- many characters in games have 0 bad match ups that is why they are the best character.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931