• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight Officially Banned!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alien Vision

Smash Ace
The problem with Ganon is that he still has many other hard counters, some even worse than Meta Knight. It is debatable whether he even has one match-up in his favor. Thus I don't personally think he'll be going anywhere anytime soon.

:248:
Does he really get slaughtered by the lowest characters as much as people say he does? I seem to recall recently that a Ganondorf won a tournament somehow because there wasn't any MK's, or something along those lines.

I mean like, just a tiny miniscule boost. Does Zelda really hand his *** to him like people state? What about C.Falcon? Ganondorf's incredible strength and technical chasing could really put those two in bad positions IMO. So how exactly is Ganondorf the worst is what bugs me. Lol.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
no. u would be asked to pick another character. please use common sense.
Players are assigned losses for other offenses, it's not common sense. Even if it is, it's sloppy workmanship to have TO's figure that out on their own instead of making it explicit.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
I'd be infracting and modding this myself, but I feel like infracting would be a conflict of interest on my part since I'm part of the URC.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
I'd be infracting and modding this myself, but I feel like infracting would be a conflict of interest on my part since I'm part of the URC.
Infracting pointless spam is not in conflict of interest, but to each his own. Though help is nice :)

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Players are assigned losses for other offenses, it's not common sense. Even if it is, it's sloppy workmanship to have TO's figure that out on their own instead of making it explicit.
unless the rules said that "selecting mk rewards you with a dq/loss" or something like that, everything else is an assumption/speculation/guess....aka WRONG.

please stop trying.

mk is banned. period

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····

seriously delux?

****ing issue infractions for insults at least.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
Flaming has a kind of power that doesn't let you have (weakens) the pontential of Infracting and Banning.

If some "arguer" gets banned, it's a flaming revolution waiting to happen.

Even if a thread that started it was locked.

I've seen it before.

DeLux

If you guys haven't figured it out yet, I really value impartiality and objectivity. It's what makes me a sub par to passable mod and an adequate to well received member of the URC.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
unless the rules said that "selecting mk rewards you with a dq/loss" or something like that, everything else is an assumption/speculation/guess....aka WRONG.

please stop trying.

mk is banned. period
I'm not asking you to change it, just to make it clear. I don't know why you keep repeating "mk is banned" when since my second post of talking about this I've been asking you to clarify the manner in which he is banned, not unban him for the sake of randoms.

BSP

Smash Legend
I'm still surprised that no one voted against the ban.
inb4 "they all suck so they obviously needed to ban MK to help themselves."

Anyways, like I said, I'm interested to see where this goes. I was beginning to lean to neutral on the ban issue, but I don't think it can hurt tbh.

DeLux

I'm not asking you to change it, just to make it clear. I don't know why you keep repeating "mk is banned" when since my second post of talking about this I've been asking you to clarify the manner in which he is banned, not unban him for the sake of randoms.
What Xyro is trying to say is:

Random is not a new way to circumvent the rules in terms of enforceability.

If someone randomed MK against me, I would simply call the TO over and say "He is playing a banned character."

Even if you protest that you picked random, there's no way of proving it without restarting the game. At which point, even if you WERE playing random, you couldn't simply pick MK again to start the match. Because MK is banned.
Given that there is no gentlemen's agreement clause for MK to be played, this ought to hold true imo

Alien Vision

Smash Ace
I see what you are saying. You are basically wanting them to be more specific about their rules.

I agree with this guy, Xyro. Be more specific! So people understand it more and won't have any excuses to say otherwise.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
@pops: Because he is banned.

Reasons by words only instead of vision and words isn't going to reveal most of the points.

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
1. Okay we have the LGL and IDC. What are theres other rules? The LGL in itself is a ridiculous rule and has been talked over in here. http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=310705

2. His worst MU is himself. He is the best character in the game. I dont see Larry getting completely demolished, except for recently when the dude hasnt even had a Wii. ADHD loses basically to Anti and M2K; thats it. The latter being a Melee legend who had an enormous head start at the games launch, the former plays diddy and has been basically taught by the later. Every time I hear ADHD complain, heck a lot of times people claim MK is a decent MU, they later remark on how our CP system gives extreme buffs to the character. This has been something that has been an issue since day one.

3. Our stage list buffs Aerial Characters which is silly because the main way you rack up damage in this game anyways due to lack of hitstun is juggling which can be done anywhere. When best character is an aerial character and you put these stages in that focus on these overcentralizing aerial techs over course thats going to push MK over in to seemingly unbeatable. those stages in themselves do not promote competitive depth. Just because you add more stages does it mean it increases that automatically. Im telling you if you banned top tier and had Gdubs, he would probably wreck the same as MK is now. RC and Brinstar are too powerful CPs for aerial characters. And they dont advocate for much skill.

4. Overcentralization: I could go and talk about Chun in 3S or Cable in MvC2, but i think the best evidence actually comes from John#s data. The only thing that was 'staggering' was MK's amount of money won, which makes sense becauseeeeee.............M2K, the guy who goes to more tournies than anyone and is the top player in our country, Tyrant who is the top player period regardless of character in WC who mains MK, Anti whos definitely in the top 5 players in the country and Seibrik who at a time was dominating his area. If you look at the data and consider these factors, it just so happens the money is centralized by MK because of JUST THESE PLAYERS.

Also: http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=13427447&postcount=8398 Metaknight's Dominance analysis by Tuen

Reposting because I didnt know if you got a chance to read this in its entirety Bizkit. Although it doesnt really matter at this point. Im definitely disappointed by the reasonings Ive seen thus far. However theres really nothing that can be done about that. At least the community is happy. It just saddens me; not because I think pro-ban has a few things that potentially could argue, but the fact that the dominant reasoning for the majority of pro ban seems to be made on two things:

1. Emotion rather than concrete arguments
2. A horrendous representation of John #s data.

It is good to see the community lively, though im sure a ton of these newer players will probably end up quitting after awhile.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
Given that there is no gentlemen's agreement clause for MK to be played, this ought to hold true imo
Then add it to your ruleset so I don't have to ask Xyro to find out.

That's all I'm saying.

EDIT: took too much of the original quote out but you get the drift.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Sirlin said a lot of wrong things. One of them, however, isn't wrong. A character in a fighter should only be banned if the quality of the fighting game is so high that the game is worth saving.

Brawl is not one of those games.
Agreed. I can't shake the feeling that this is a move that the Brawl community will deeply regret in hindsight.

Think about it. People aren't going to come back now after banning him because MK isn't the only thing that alienated players. The game did a great job of that on it's own.

DeLux

lol it's pretty implicit

the rule denotes "Metaknight is banned"
The rule connotes "Metaknight is not useable for play."
It doesn't connote "metaknight is sometimes useable to be played if you draw a 1/37 lot to play him" by any means.

If we wanted the rule to connote that, we would have made the rule "Metaknight cannot be selected on the character select screen."

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Agreed. I can't shake the feeling that this is a move that the Brawl community will deeply regret in hindsight.

Think about it. People aren't going to come back now after banning him because MK isn't the only thing that alienated players. The game did a great job of that on it's own.
It should have been done earlier. Meta Knight only became a worse and worse problem as the years went by. Every time there was a poll or a vote about a ban, the gist of the consensus was that he wasn't too much of a problem... yet. I think the real regret here is not banning him sooner, the damage is done and needs to be repaired now.

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
lol why are people even arguing with you about that Delux? lol. Yo im eagerly awaiting that data homes haha

Dr. Tuen

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0559-7294-8323
Tuen, do you have skype?

I'd like to talk to you about some of the choices you made in your statistical analyses at some point.
I have AIM, I could do that. I'm also on Facebook chat somewhat regularly.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Meh . . . Still up to the TO to decided if MK is banned! I doubt most TOs would be willing to banned MK because 14 people said it was "OK" to banned him from now on!
Keep in mind that the community voted a majority 75% in favor of a ban as well. This is not just the decision of 14 people. And those 14 people are all TOs themselves anyways, so there's at the very least 14 series of tournaments that will be MK banned right there, lol.

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
Tuen, do you have skype?

I'd like to talk to you about some of the choices you made in your statistical analyses at some point.
Im just curious. Why now? Why wasnt this done before the decision. Again I know whats done is done. I would just like to know. If its confidential then Ill leave it.

DeLux

Let's just say I envision a Smash Lab project where I combine Tuen and John #s on the same team ;)

But it isn't to say that we didn't factor in the data. We did. Or at the very least I know I did. Perhaps my best answer is that the definition of stastically significant is different for each URC member.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
What are you talking about Willis?! God help the Brawl community if that is true! Is there a poll that you can link me too please?!
you missed the 3 week long poll to ban mk?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom