• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mentos and Diet Coke won't kill you.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
We've all seen the videos online of the coke and mentos rockets, and Myth Busters 'proved' that if you ate the two together, your stomach would explode. Then they disproved it, apparently. I don't watch the show. So whatever.

They were wrong.

I tried it today. Here's a list of what happened:

1. Buy fruit Mentos.
2. Come home.
3. Drink two cans of diet Coke.
4. Swallow 6 Mentos whole, 1 at a time, with a bit of water.
5. Wait a while.
6. Fizzy feeling inside.
7. Belly starts bloating. Gets pretty big.
8. Burps.

You see, the cola loses alot of the carbonation when you drink it, I guess. Also, the human body has many defenses to protect it from getting damaged from the inside, i.e you intestines.

Immortal_One

Smash Apprentice
I love that show, honestly.

Which is why I hate to say that it's dead wrong sometimes, including right now. You're correct that the Diet Coke looses A LOT of carbonation when you drink it.

Amide

Smash Lord
Did you put the mentos in when the diet coke was still in your mouth?

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
vids or it didnt happen
I don't have a vid of it myself, but I just found a few on You Tube. I'll put a link to one where a chick does it-- the guy ones are all pretty weird/hairy, and fetish related. In fact, they all are. EDIT2: Never mind, I shouldn't post a link. PM me if you want it.

Did you put the mentos in when the diet coke was still in your mouth?
Nope. I drank two cans, then swallowed them.

Patinator

Smash Champion
I love that show, honestly.

Which is why I hate to say that it's dead wrong sometimes, including right now. You're correct that the Diet Coke looses A LOT of carbonation when you drink it.
You aren't alone.

And I swear I remember them busting that one... Maybe my memory is foggy. I recall using compressed air to blow up a stomach, but... Not mentos + Coca Cola.

Nevertheless, you're crazy for trying this, Zook. O_o

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
SEE?! Mythbusters never lies.

HOW DARE YOU.

smashbot226

Smash Master
I just burped a little and went on with my day.

No, not really! As soon as the two items collided, a pure substance of evil was formed, malformed in every way- a mistake of man playing God. What was meant to be a myth... was actually a monster.

It formed into an alien life form, similar in body to a scaly black Diddy Kong with no clothing, and the head of Ridley. It entered my larynx, shredding it apart with its razor-sharp teeth, as it worked its way down to my stomach, as it clawed out my insides- it burst from my now open belly, pouring blood out every crevice I had.

Stumbling, I reached for a pack of my Pepto Bismo, when I found that it had been spilled in my spasm. The alien looked at me, sneering, as it jumped, preparing to claw my eyes out. It landed on my face, as it jabbed its tail into my forehead, releasing some sort of poison into my body, making me believe I was seeing more of "It."

And THAT'S when I stopped taking excessive amounts of Riddlin!

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
lol.. were you trying to explode your tummy?, maybe you should make sure about these kind of things first before attempting them. :)

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
Yeah I heard about it killing you and tried it to prove my friends wrong.I ate 5 and drank 2 cans of coke.I lead them on for a while telling them I was in pain and really freaked them out when I puked......but im still alive.

It makes you super gasey!

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
i still cant believe anyone older than six believed that it could kill you

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Isn't there another myth about Mountain Dew reducing sperm count? I HIGHLY doubt that.
I actually thought that was proven, but that you'd have to drink an absurd amount of Mountain Dew to have any kind of substantial decrease in sperm.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
No, Xsy. I was completely convinced that it wouldn't kill me. I read up on it, and everything said that it would kill me. I didn't listen.

Now that I look back on this, though, I think I was a bit reckless.
Well, I'd say you were more than just "a bit reckless".

IchigoKurosaki9999

Smash Rookie
The other day me, my sister and her boyfriend tryed an experiment and we found this method far better, Use mentos but Coke Zero works much better then diet coke! and for added effect (I can't remember the name) those really minty xtra hot powdery sweet things and they make it work better too!

Azua

Scourge Cheerleader
Premium
BRoomer
Think he was talking about cinnamon altoids or something similar..

Conclusively

Smash Journeyman
We've all seen the videos online of the coke and mentos rockets, and Myth Busters 'proved' that if you ate the two together, your stomach would explode.

They were wrong.

I tried it today. Here's a list of what happened:

1. Buy fruit Mentos.
2. Come home.
3. Drink two cans of diet Coke.
4. Swallow 6 Mentos whole, 1 at a time, with a bit of water.
5. Wait a while.
6. Fizzy feeling inside.
7. Belly starts bloating. Gets pretty big.
8. Burps.

You see, the cola loses alot of the carbonation when you drink it, I guess. Also, the human body has many defenses to protect it from getting damaged from the inside, i.e you intestines.
Isn't it supposed to be Mint Mentos? Or does it not make a difference?

SarahPalin

Smash Cadet
For those asking about mint, YES, you need mint.

I know by experience because this was one of the CHEAP torturing device we used at the Vietnam War. Often times the stomach MICRO BURST open and slowly release the toxic stomach acid into the body. The gas takes months to completly disflate and during this time, we often get the answer we want.

-Sarah Palin, Vice President nominee of the Republic Party of U.S.A

Black_Heretic

Smash Lord
For those asking about mint, YES, you need mint.

I know by experience because this was one of the CHEAP torturing device we used at the Vietnam War. Often times the stomach MICRO BURST open and slowly release the toxic stomach acid into the body. The gas takes months to completly disflate and during this time, we often get the answer we want.

-Sarah Palin, Vice President nominee of the Republic Party of U.S.A
you're not even funny

Top Bottom