• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Memphis Area Rankings and tournament thread

Ambix

Smash Ace
We doing powerplay this wednsday?

The power rankings should also be tournament placement only from now on. Just sayin'.

BunBun

Smash Master
Nite: ?

Ambix: No.

I'm thinking of trying a second ranking for tourney placings, and use the original list like normal to seed our local tournaments.

It's kind of hard to rank based off tourney performance when you have different people going to different tourneys.

Ambix

Smash Ace
Nite: ?

Ambix: No.

I'm thinking of trying a second ranking for tourney placings, and use the original list like normal to seed our local tournaments.

It's kind of hard to rank based off tourney performance when you have different people going to different tourneys.
You should reconsider.

Going to different tournaments doesn't affect it in the slightest unless it's a dinky tournament with few to no decent smashers.

Just identify which tournaments should be ranked tournaments before hand and it'll be fine.

It's also not just about saying player "X is better than player y". The tournament enviroment is the same wherever you go. People that don't do as well in tournaments do so because of a lack of matchup experience or poor performance under pressure.

Having the rankings based on tourney performance only keeps it reliable and it prevents the **** things from drastically changing every time they're updated. The rankings aren't meant to have massive upheavals every time we go out of state.

CO

Smash Ace
NNID
CO_Runaway7
3DS FC
3136-6583-7782
Thats why last time we had a group of people who looks at the different tournament rankings and made judgements based on who beat whom, and the overall place they took. It doesn't have to be all of us in one place to see someone is improving or deserving of a spot on the list.

I have made it known that I don't care for challenge matches, and its not my purpose to attack them here, but if you are to consider those definitive but not consider tournament placement at all seems silly.

Vonzar the Soulrender

4th Dimensional Horror
I kind of like the challenge system...

Like I was chillin at FAP watching a match and all of a sudden I had a challenge match to defend my place on the rankings... definitely makes things interesting.

Nite

Smash Champion
We definitely don't need 2 power rankings, haha. That'd just be too hard to keep up with.

I'm okay with the challenge system if you guys like it. I mean, tournament placings and beating someone in tournament matters more than a challenge match, but we can work these challenges in here.

Ambix

Smash Ace
I kind of like the challenge system...

Like I was chillin at FAP watching a match and all of a sudden I had a challenge match to defend my place on the rankings... definitely makes things interesting.
It makes things interesting in the same way a free for all is interesting. It happens fast and loose and isn't consistant at all.

It defeats the purpose of having the rankings in the first place.

The power rankings can still be interesting with just tournament placement.....it will also motivate people to place better in tournaments instead of practicing to beat someone they smash with all the time. It doesn't reflect on your skill.

Again....tournament placement is a much better way to determine power rankings placement. You play a wider variety of mains and playstyles in tournaments and you do so under pressure. it proves your mettle more then beating a single person you consistantly play in a 3/5 match.

EDIT:

i'm also still pissed off that I missed the damn finals because I couldn't say no to 2 consecutive challenge matches.

EDIT 2:

I'm also, hands down, one of the easiest people to beat in the top ten. I don't want people trying to snipe me while they look for a quick way up the power rankings.

If it ever comes to that i'd instantly resign and ask to be taken off the rankings.

It ruins the spirit of smash when you care more about being on a top 20 list by sniping people you know you can beat instead of doing your best at tournaments.

Yeah you'll be high on the rankings that way but you won't get any better which will hurt the competitive value of the game.

BunBun

Smash Master
Derp. "Let me watch finals first". No one is that big of a **** to say no.

Sniping doesn't work, because you can just decline the match of anyone more than 2 spots below you.

Ambix

Smash Ace
Derp. "Let me watch finals first". No one is that big of a **** to say no.
I said I didn't care about the power rankings while I was playing friendlies with darkness of heart. I really didn't care then because DoH has an amazing peach and is an obscenely cool guy and the finals were about to start.

After I said this you clearly took offense so it seemed the only polite thing to do was immediately take responsibility and do the matches.

I also don't care about them now because of the attitudes people are having about them.

Though in all honesty my argument on this is weak....I could have easily just asked to postpone the match. I just think very linearly and deal with stuff in front of me as it comes.

Sniping doesn't work, because you can just decline the match of anyone more than 2 spots below you.
Last I checked, the memphis area people were cool and they'll let anyone ride with them to OOS tournaments. You yourself wouldn't have been able to challenge me had it not been for FAP.

It's very possible for someone to start traveling and snipe their way to the glory and prestige of the power rankings.......They have 20 chances per tournament.

Especially with weak links like me at number 6.

My peach is mediocre and it probably won't go unnoticed by people who want the instant gratification of a high power ranking placement.

tl;dr

The rankings either mean something or they don't.

If you want them to have meaning change them now......comparing these power rankings to other older ones is like comparing melee to brawl.

This is an objective opinion. I wasn't even on the old midsouth rankings.

Vts

Smash Champion
It makes things interesting in the same way a free for all is interesting. It happens fast and loose and isn't consistant at all.

It defeats the purpose of having the rankings in the first place.

The power rankings can still be interesting with just tournament placement.....it will also motivate people to place better in tournaments instead of practicing to beat someone they smash with all the time. It doesn't reflect on your skill.

Again....tournament placement is a much better way to determine power rankings placement. You play a wider variety of mains and playstyles in tournaments and you do so under pressure. it proves your mettle more then beating a single person you consistantly play in a 3/5 match.

EDIT:

i'm also still pissed off that I missed the damn finals because I couldn't say no to 2 consecutive challenge matches.

EDIT 2:

I'm also, hands down, one of the easiest people to beat in the top ten. I don't want people trying to snipe me while they look for a quick way up the power rankings.

If it ever comes to that i'd instantly resign and ask to be taken off the rankings.

It ruins the spirit of smash when you care more about being on a top 20 list by sniping people you know you can beat instead of doing your best at tournaments.

Yeah you'll be high on the rankings that way but you won't get any better which will hurt the competitive value of the game.
no i am the easiest to beat in top 10, then arby since arby has to be playing perfect to even stay in top 10 which is rare for him and at FAP he just showed how inconsistent he is at the game.

now for me i play a low tier character with high tier gimps once u learn how i play i'm easy to beat, ignore the character look at my patterns cus i do it with every character hince why i asked to be lower on the list since i know my bad habits but don't get punished by them except by iori nite ambix and ihsb really.

but w/e until they find my patterns i guess they don't get to be above me :D

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
being able to punish is equally important. like I was saying in the car, certain playstyles thrive on the fact that everyone sucks at timing punishes.

I know your patterns since we've played so much, but my timing currently blows so it doesn't matter.

BunBun

Smash Master
Last I checked, the memphis area people were cool and they'll let anyone ride with them to OOS tournaments. You yourself wouldn't have been able to challenge me had it not been for FAP.
I'm confused how riding with people has anything to do with PRs.

BunBun

Smash Master
Okay fuckers:

VOTE OR DIE

You have until Sunday to vote. Vote only once.

Do we keep the current system of challenge matches, or do we go back to the old system of a PR 'council' that evaluates after every tournament.

Vote Challenge Matches for current system (in red, please) and Committee for old way (in yellow).

Nite

Smash Champion
I like how originally it was stated that "These challenge matches will make for a drama-less power ranking" which they've done nothing but cause drama so far. I wouldn't say it's the challenge matches though because we had them when we did the Mid-South PR.

My opinion: If we're gonna do it, we need a panel. 1 person cannot do a power ranking on their own. It just won't be accurate, it'll be biased and it will have no meaning. I personally don't care for challenge matches because we've always done our PR based off of matches where money is on the line. Either tournaments or money matches. You're not gonna climb to the top of a PR playing friendlies, which is basically what a challenge match is.

My 2nd opinion: Power Rankings are dumb. We all know who's good. If you want to prove that, go win a tournament.

Dark Iori Yagami

Smash Lord
I like how originally it was stated that "These challenge matches will make for a drama-less power ranking" which they've done nothing but cause drama so far. I wouldn't say it's the challenge matches though because we had them when we did the Mid-South PR.

My opinion: If we're gonna do it, we need a panel. 1 person cannot do a power ranking on their own. It just won't be accurate, it'll be biased and it will have no meaning. I personally don't care for challenge matches because we've always done our PR based off of matches where money is on the line. Either tournaments or money matches. You're not gonna climb to the top of a PR playing friendlies, which is basically what a challenge match is.

My 2nd opinion: Power Rankings are dumb. We all know who's good. If you want to prove that, go win a tournament.
Nite telling it like it is :ohwell:

Dark Iori Yagami

Smash Lord
I should decide since I am at the top lol

@ambix get better stop complaining, if you feel it dosen't help then don't lose

@bun2 its fine ingore the peanut gallory. Although I hate no how yoshi challenges me and it dosen't mean anything, even if he wins. Won't ever happen tho

@nite How do you propose you update the ranking if it all came down to the same poeple being on the top. Oh course the others who did or didn't make it out of pools but more or less does it count.

BunBun

Smash Master
Have we resorted to internet memes now?

I can disregard 85% of your posts too.
I've noticed how you disregarded 85% of the first post.

Sniping isn't possible, and in the off chance that it happens, it gets evened out in two more challenges.

Number 22 challenges number 5. Number 5 is a sniping target. Number 5 accepts for whatever reason, even though he feels like he's a target, despite number 6 and so on being below him. Number 22 wins. Now, the former number 6 challenges and beats the former number 22, and the former number 5 now challenges and beats the former number six, effectively setting it to 5-6-22. Sure 22 moved up, but now he's going to get ****ed by everyone below him and it doesn't help him improve much at all.

And if 22 can fend off 5 and 6, then he probably deserves to be somewhere up there.

Jartravious

Smash Journeyman
I think a "council" that would make evaluations based on tournament placings and player development would be a good idea. However, can someone explain how the old "council" system works.

Nite

Smash Champion
@Iori- Well the results wouldn't be the same every time if people got better. Probably the easiest example would be NES Noob. He used to be nothing special at smash, just another cool guy who likes to play melee. He wanted to be good. He strived to be better than he was and he did it. He made that effort and it payed off. In no time he was one of the best in our area. I think everyone should be more like NES Noob was. <3

@Ambix and BunBun- Am I gonna have to pull over this car? Quit being babies and let's fight like gentlemen.

SmashterLink

Smash Ace
@Iori- Well the results wouldn't be the same every time if people got better. Probably the easiest example would be NES Noob. He used to be nothing special at smash, just another cool guy who likes to play melee. He wanted to be good. He strived to be better than he was and he did it. He made that effort and it payed off. In no time he was one of the best in our area. I think everyone should be more like NES Noob was. <3
Well put my friend. Whatever happened to having fun while playing the game?

Ambix

Smash Ace
I've noticed how you
Logical fallacies abound.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tu_quo

Iori said:
@ambix get better stop complaining, if you feel it dosen't help then don't lose
You seem to think im angry at my placement which isn't the case.

I have every intention of getting better. I'll be seeing you in the brackets at tipped off son....you can count on that. I certainly WON'T be seeing you in some idiodic challenge match at powerplay. The challenge matches are dumb.

You've already motivated me to get better just by beasting at FAP. So have all the other really good players.

Vts

Smash Champion
I think a "council" that would make evaluations based on tournament placings and player development would be a good idea. However, can someone explain how the old "council" system works.
Imo the list should stay the same but what should have been done is a gaint pool.

and if you go off tournament results u better go off of who that person beat in tournament not over all placement.

this is for fun people stop trying to make it like but really i'm better than said person.

if it keeps up the point of this will be ignored and everyone will complain about there placement.

if you can't beat a said person look at why they are beating you. learn get better no johns don't u dare change it bunbun its for fun people.

everyone has patterns get better find them faster and stop sucking

if you can beat said person 3-4 ranks higher than you congrats now learn the match up for the ones who are 1-2 higher than you and work your way up!

improve stop looking at it as he beat me i'm never going to become good but this guy who i beat is higher.

he is higher for reasons don't forget.

i'm done ranting GD it also old

BunBun

Smash Master
After a long chat, I have to agree with ambix. These PRs were made with a different idea in mind, and it's apparently not the right idea for us. To expand on that: constantly trying to simply beat the few people directly ahead of you is not the way to go when you look at the larger picture. This challenge system only works when everyone wants to be involved in it, and they also understand that it isn't about beating your neighbor, it's about improving.

So yeah. First post updated.

Dark Iori Yagami

Smash Lord

@Ambix and BunBun- Am I gonna have to pull over this car? Quit being babies and let's fight like gentlemen.
Nite XD I know that, I mean your post stating that we should update the power ranks. Even tho the norms were still at the top of the list.

Logical fallacies abound.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tu_quo

You seem to think im angry at my placement which isn't the case.

I have every intention of getting better. I'll be seeing you in the brackets at tipped off son....you can count on that. I certainly WON'T be seeing you in some idiodic challenge match at powerplay. The challenge matches are dumb.

You've already motivated me to get better just by beasting at FAP. So have all the other really good players.
I thought I always motivated you :ohwell: Anyway no I don't think that your angry at your placement, more that you should just play along and don't complain about what was suppose to be fun.

besides you can't challenge me, you aint good enough lol.

Imo the list should stay the same but what should have been done is a gaint pool.

and if you go off tournament results u better go off of who that person beat in tournament not over all placement.

this is for fun people stop trying to make it like but really i'm better than said person.

if it keeps up the point of this will be ignored and everyone will complain about there placement.

if you can't beat a said person look at why they are beating you. learn get better no johns don't u dare change it bunbun its for fun people.

everyone has patterns get better find them faster and stop sucking

if you can beat said person 3-4 ranks higher than you congrats now learn the match up for the ones who are 1-2 higher than you and work your way up!

improve stop looking at it as he beat me i'm never going to become good but this guy who i beat is higher.

he is higher for reasons don't forget.

i'm done ranting GD it also old
VTS WE GET IT :dizzy:

Nite

Smash Champion
Nite XD I know that, I mean your post stating that we should update the power ranks. Even tho the norms were still at the top of the list.
OH! I didn't fully understand your post, so I answered it the best I could hahaha. What I meant by that was basically CO and S.Link needed to be added and maybe some other spots needed to be moved around because of recent placings/wins/losses at FAP. If that's what you were asking.

SmokeMaxX

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, final call for our ARK II tournament in central AR on July 31st. We have 5-10 players from the Memphis area already coming in for SSFIV/Tekken (among other games) and we'd love to have smash representatives also. We'll have at least 8 different tournament (SSFIV, T6, Brawl, Melee, BlazBlue:CS, TvC, HDR, and a Mystery Game Tournament).

Our last tournament had over 70 players from 5 different states and a total pot value of over $1000! I hope some of you guys feel inclined to come and win some money or just have a good time!

Here's the official link: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=281258 but if you just post here, I'll read it and reply also. Thanks so much!

Top Bottom