• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Melee Social Thread and stuff

The Star King

Smash Hero
And you know you could never listen to any of this music in front of anyone else, but it just became your new favorite thing ever?
This isn't really the same thing, but I feel like people will judge me for liking hardcore/hardstyle/trance/techno/dance. I'm not sure if liking those is weird or not lol

I want to know what the Melee Social thread thinks of these genres.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
This isn't really the same thing, but I feel like people will judge me for liking hardcore/hardstyle/trance/techno/dance. I'm not sure if liking those is weird or not lol

I think trance and techno ****ing suck! I think of them as that long boring middle transition section of most hardcore songs. I also dont like it when they are simpler or slower.

Hardstyle isnt my favorite but alot of it is just fat beats lol. So I can bump hardstyle. and Hardcore ***** when u have the right songs. I actually use to listen to alot of mainstream rap and hip hop but partially due to laziness and not wanted to DL music, and alot of it being irritating I been listening to like all hardcore for the past 6 months or so haha.

Edit:that includes jcore and hardstyle as well.

The Star King

Smash Hero
I actually don't like most techno/trance, but there's a few songs that really stand out to me.

I don't like empty beats with no melody. Kind of boring to me. So that's most of techno being boring right there.

Geist

Smash Master

I don't like it personally, but I wouldn't judge someone for what they listen to.
Actually, there are a few songs in particular that I enjoy, and I like Daft Punk. Some bands that incorporate trance, like Massive Attack, are great. I really have to be in the mood though.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
I actually don't like most techno/trance, but there's a few songs that really stand out to me.

I don't like empty beats with no melody. Kind of boring to me. So that's most of techno being boring right there.
Pretty much my thoughts. I love bangin melodies. Beats on top of that ****. Its hard to just find beats that are good enough on their own.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
I'm curious on how you got a negative on your posts? Sorry if it is an "out-of-the-blue-question" but I was just wondering whenever I saw your posts in different topics.
haha nah its fine bro, i get asked this question a lot (and i get more and more concise every time i retell the story LOL.) basically from 2008-2009 i went on a posting spree to increase my post count. once i got around 8,000~10,000 i was really dropping any subtlety and totally drew attention to my spamming. mods got mad, and cut my post count in half and reversed it. i didn't think it would go past 0, but it did

it was my punishment as opposed to permabanning, so im thankful i can still post on the boards lol

i still post a lot but u shoulda seen it back then

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
I like hardcore! especially DC hardcore. rites of spring, SDRE, etc. and then stuff like Husker Du and minor threat, of course.

...but no. i wouldnt judge anyone for listening to hardcore/style/trance/etc, but i will say that I am ****ing sick of dubstep. I dont know about anywhere else, but my town is ****ing overrun with it. I'm so tired of it.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
aahhahaha when u were me, trust me it was not something exciting to watch when the post count i 'worked' for started going backwards. LOL. but i just started posting at a normal rate and eventually when it became negative, i didn't care much anymore

SupaSairentoZ7℠

Smash Hero
haha nah its fine bro, i get asked this question a lot (and i get more and more concise every time i retell the story LOL.) basically from 2008-2009 i went on a posting spree to increase my post count. once i got around 8,000~10,000 i was really dropping any subtlety and totally drew attention to my spamming. mods got mad, and cut my post count in half and reversed it. i didn't think it would go past 0, but it did

it was my punishment as opposed to permabanning, so im thankful i can still post on the boards lol

i still post a lot but u shoulda seen it back then
Ah I see. I wanted to raise my post count more but if I posted stuff that would seem like spam I know the moderators would get mad and start taking action. So I just have to be careful on what I post. I like the negative sign though. I think it is quite unique! XD Thanks for telling me your story.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I want to let everyone know that SC2 metagame moves closer and closer to BW style. A noname on team IM nearly all killed the oGs team. He used more mindgames than any other player in pro SC2 to date as well as flawless use of counter attacks, tech fakes, and timing attacks. He plays Protoss.

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
there arent really mindgames in SC/SC2... it's mostly execution. mindgames mostly come in the form of opening choices and scout denial, which are generally only relevant in match play (although sometimes you get a game like luxury faking mutas against whoever that was and going hydra all in, but that's super rare).... so... how exactly was he mindgaming anyone?

...and what is this doing in this thread o.o

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Mindgames can happen in many ways. For one, if the build has never been seen before. This is evident in game two where he crushed oGsTop.

In game 3 against oGsHyperdub he used some clever illusion usage in order to feign an immortal push while he was actually double expanding and teching to dark templar.

Kanelol

Smash Lord
having never personally played SC/SC2, I can't offer a professional opinion

but there's almost always a lot more going on mentally in almost any professional gamers mind

especially retart *** computer games like SC2

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
i feel like a hallucinated immortal feign while double expanding would be a nice ploy against like a low diamond or lower level player that wouldn't hold up at top levels. too easily beaten by better scouting. cool tactic though. it'd **** me but there's a reason you dont see that stuff at the top.

new builds always **** though.

kanelol,

i think that's less true of SC2 than you think. Any high level player will tell you that the game is mostly executing a good build, scouting, and macroing well. the mental ability comes in the form of not getting distracted/on tilt, continuing to play accurately under pressure, and multitasking/focusing on the right things.

At least in BW, even at the very top levels of play there were so many things slipping through the cracks that 100% straightforward play is successful all the way. I don't follow pro SC2 as closely but I imagine it is (or will be) the same. The player who's better at mechanics will win most of the time.

Geist

Smash Master
I'm actually googling this stuff just so I can find out what the hell you guys are talking about lol.
I've never even touched SC or SC2

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Thats the thing, army scouting is often the only scouting you get. IMSeed purposely let his immortal get scouted alongside his decently sized army while hiding his tech. He also hid his first expansion in another main instead of at his natural. Hyperdub saw the immortal and started making a few bunkers to defend the push as well as putting his scvs out around the bunkers for immediate repair. Seed just stood outside not doing anything and the ploy went on until Seed sent an illusion phoenix through Hyperdub's base for scouting and basically to go "LOL". Hyperdub immediately started scanning and probably facepalming.

http://www.gomtv.net/2011gstl1/vod/60740 game 3 on lost temple. The whole series is worth watching as well.

Mindgames aka tricks, baits, information hiding and information faking are all signs of good players. To say this could only work on "low diamond and below" is just ignorant.

edit- to an extent, yes the game is about proper execution. But this isn't a 1 player game. You need tactics, improvisation and strategy. Not to mention the SC2 metagame is evolving constantly, there is no Flash-esq player or build that covers all options without weakness.

DippnDots

Feral Youth
and it will be evolving for quite a while, with what? three expansions coming out? not to mention, it's going to need even more patching after that happens. SC2 is still a baby, and that's good. While it's frustrating for people like me who like to watch the high metagame of BW, in due time it definitely has the potential to get up there

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
im not saying information hiding doesnt work at the top levels, im saying information hiding that brazen and crude shouldnt work against a top player. a simple scan anywhere (army, tech, expo) would have revealed the falsehood of that push.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
if you watch the game you would understand. He had xel naga tower vision of the army en route to his base. From his perspective, there was no reason to scan the army because he had just seen it. He scans the base a minute later when the push doesn't come and sees an expansion. I'll link the vid up here once a rip is available

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
the fact that you say there arent mindgames in sc2 exposes your ignorance on a whole new level.

every game is full of mindgames. if your opponent scouts the wrong way on a 4 player map, and doesnt get in your base to see your tech

THE WHOLE ****ING GAME IS A MINDGAME until you both clash armies, kindly leave foxlisk.

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
oh hush, i know what i'm talking about. if you use mindgames to mean 'when your opponent scouts inadequately and you get away with something risky,' then yes there are mindgames. but that's not what we mean in melee, so i figured people meant the same thing.

you can't mindgame in sc2 the way you can in melee because in melee mindgames generally revolve around forcing your opponent to predict you and performing a different action. You act like you're going to do one thing, then you do a different one; that's a mindgame (simply put). In SC2, things don't come down to reaction time in the same kind of way. If you act like you're going to do something in SC2 and do a different thing, you're either relying on your opponent not scouting or making a very weak play, because those kinds of tricks don't exist in the same way.

Top Bottom