• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee Scene: Growing or Dying?

CHUK

Smash Ace
How is the melee scene doing? How's the brawl scene doing? Is it dying?

soma ghost

Smash Journeyman
It feels like melee is growing. Pound 4 and RoM2 look like they are going to get huge turnouts already. I don't know anything about brawl, but melee really feels like its coming back after a slight fall out in the last year or two.

JFox

Smash Hero
melee is growing in some areas, but unfortunately is no where near what it used to be, regardless of what genesis turnout was. MLG days will always be this game in its prime. Those were the most competitive days this game has to offer.

still, all things considered, this game is still alive and kicking. im amazed to see how the metagame keeps progressing, its truly remarkable

Tamoo

Smash Master
I think brawl had a part to play in reigniting melee's flame. It definitely has in the UK, a lot of people came in at around the same time I did for brawl, and slowly converted to melee, making the scene very healthy.

LLDL

Smash Hero
thread reported ;<

lol jk, but melee although smaller than what it used to be, is still steadily growing at a certain pace.

It dropped ramatically, and is slowly building up month by month.

Slhoka

Smash Lord
Here in France, it seems to be growing.

Quite a few Brawl players are starting to play Melee, especially the very good players.
Some retired players are coming back.
We also have quite a few new players starting to play.
During a very small tournament last week I've even seen a few noobs who only entered the Melee tournaments (and not the Brawl ones). It really looked like 2+ years ago :laugh:

alejandroidex

Smash Apprentice
here in mexico is not so different. cuz there are some places that melee still growing and others where melee don't exist anymore.. melee players are in different direction from the brawl players, besides that mexico loves more melee than brawl.

Anyways.. is like a chain reaction if US or other places from the world keep playing melee and doing big tourney and stuff.. mexico will keep in track thats fo sure!.

no. 1 smash daddy

Smash Ace
here in mexico is not so different. cuz there are some places that melee still growing and others where melee don't exist anymore.. melee players are in different direction from the brawl players, besides that mexico loves more melee than brawl.

Anyways.. is like a chain reaction if US or other places from the world keep playing melee and doing big tourney and stuff.. mexico will keep in track thats fo sure!.
quite true, but you never know what could happn next.

but definetly many of us over here in mexico that were in melee scene havent stoped loving it and never coverted to brawl (well as far as I know, only a very few converted to brawl, or perhaps none, as in exception for the noobs, God, DAM DOES NOOBS, I hate their topics when they dabate melee).

PS. brawl sucks, I cant stand saying that.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
Melee is pretty big when you think about it, new players poping up every now and then and you rarly hear about people dropping out

S.G.

Smash Journeyman
I'd love to say Melee is growing
but isn't it nearly dead in the MW?

at least in terms of big names being able to travel and place

Mr.Fakeman

Smash Journeyman
Here in Australia, melee and brawl are equally played. But I always wonder if the whole world will just go back to melee and forget about brawl. That'd be great!

KillaLotus

Smash Cadet
I just recently got into melee so has my brother however I'm not sure of that that many ppl play smash around me the sad part is that I live in NYC

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I'd love to say Melee is growing
but isn't it nearly dead in the MW?

at least in terms of big names being able to travel and place
what? tournament happen in MW all the time. Our best players just don't have the money to travel cross country every weekend like m2k and mango

Phoenix~Lament

Smash Ace
Lots of people anticipated Brawl as a chance to get into the competitive game, as we thought everyone would start on more even grounds, compared to trying to enter the melee scene. I'm one of these.

After we became disillusioned with Brawl, we found Melee and switched over. I've been going strong every since :D

Anth0ny

Smash Master
It seems like when Brawl came out, many Melee players played Brawl and either

1)Continue to play it now, exclusively.
2)Hated it, and quit Smash alltogether.

I'd say that the Melee scene shrunk when Brawl was released (understandably), but it's now slowly growing again. It's far from dying, I know that!

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
It was knocking on Heaven's door, but God chased it away.

so yeah, it's fine.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
Lots of people anticipated Brawl as a chance to get into the competitive game, as we thought everyone would start on more even grounds, compared to trying to enter the melee scene. I'm one of these.

After we became disillusioned with Brawl, we found Melee and switched over. I've been going strong every since :D
Kinda what happened to me but I did play Melee before. I just got tired of my older bro and friend beating me up with their AT's and such so I basically quit once they discovered all that. Which was around 07 somewhere. Not that I didn't like Competitive smash I just wasn't good nor did I have the drive to improve because the way I saw it there was no way I'd catch up to the top player anyway. therefore I just waited for...Brawl(I threw up a little typing that) After Months of playing I eventually just couldn't handle it anymore. It was the Tripping that got me. There are a lot of other things wrong but my luck is so bad I'd always lose close matches by Falling into a smash when I would've won. So I went back....and Next thing I know Ken is a Survivor and the best player in Melee is a Fruit? WTF!!! lol

It was knocking on Heaven's door, but God chased it away.

so yeah, it's fine.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
All I know is if more people known about master hand being playable then anyone who played any smash game before and hasn't would try it and stay for the melee. Melee is to adictive to just stop after one match, come on how many games do people play for years like that?

'V'

Smash Lord
People in Louisiana are starting to see what Melee has over Brawl. I'm about to host probably the biggest local tourney the state's ever had for Melee. And it'll be bigger than any local Brawl tourney.

AlcyoNite

Smash Champion
It is truly nice to see the things people are saying in this thread. What's most significant, for me at least, is that around 6-8 months ago none of this could be said about the Melee scene. The Back Room was basically dead, people crowded around the Brawl tier list to see how it would be different from Melee, people were amazed by m2k's mk, etc. There was no way you could claim that so many Brawl players were converting to Melee. This is something that I knew would happen if melee were really the amazing game I knew it to be.

And so it is! Viva La Melee

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
a LOT of brawlers are picking up melee
It is truly nice to see the things people are saying in this thread. What's most significant, for me at least, is that around 6-8 months ago none of this could be said about the Melee scene. The Back Room was basically dead, people crowded around the Brawl tier list to see how it would be different from Melee, people were amazed by m2k's mk, etc. There was no way you could claim that so many Brawl players were converting to Melee. This is something that I knew would happen if melee were really the amazing game I knew it to be.

And so it is! Viva La Melee

I think what is going on around the country and from what I hear the world is on a grand stage like Genesis where you got to see the best of both games at once the choice in epicness is clear.

In fact someone(I forgot who) Posted a Video of some dudes recording a Brawl match during Winners Finals at Genesis. Then you hear "OOOOOOOOOH!" and the Camera goes up to the big screen and the guy recording just stays on it Mostly and you see people around the T.V. Who were watching the match stop and stand up. They just stared in amazement. I think that footage basically says it all.

godofrock72

Smash Cadet
Where I live, I'm the only one of my friends who still has a copy of Melee. I still prefer Brawl, but sometimes I take my GameCube camping to play after the fire dies out, so I play Melee then. I never really play Melee any other time.

Basically, I play Brawl when I have a Wii, Melee when I have a GameCube.

SwastikaPyle

Smash Ace
All I know is that when I last checked the Pound4 registration, there was like 3x as many melee entrants as brawl had.

Solaris1110

Smash Journeyman
All the melee guys here played brawl for about 4 months when it came out, then tried melee again and realized how much more compelling it was. Then a new batch of people came and filled the brawl scene again, and alot of them are trying out melee too. Not only that, but i'm hearing of random people in my school that play melee, hate brawl, and have never heard of smashboards. So I dunno what to think lol.
No matter how much you play it, there's always new random **** that pops up and makes it interesting again, and that keeps bringing people back to melee.

Eggm

Smash Hero
Cool thread, glad to see its doing well in other places. In tristate its going up and down no real consistency yet. =\

Top Bottom