• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee Match-Up Chart (NTSC) [Update 008 - 09.09.28]

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
...Rhan is right. Peach is YL's best high tier matchup. Both jiggs and peach are pretty even and have a little trouble against YL.

unknown522

Some guy
If the Peach starts to get close you just Nair her in the face and run away and camp more. Then if you feel pleased with her damage you just finish with a Uair or a bomb to Dair.
and when she beats your n-air with her own / f-air?

You have to rack her up to 110+ depending on stage, without being able to edgeguard her. She can set it up on you at any percent that she knocks you off the stage. YL's projectiles don't even go far and they all have pretty slow start up times just like peach's turnip pulls. He can't keep constant pressure on peach even with 3 projectiles. He can't throw them all at once. Boomerang is weak as well and she can just n-air or shield it anyway. She can shield the bombs as well, since YL has a crappy grab and doesn't have a way to pressure her shield either. When she gets inside, or traps him at the ledge, peach ***** him. Between her n-air / f-air / b-air -> d-smash, YL gets ***** in close combat.

Admittedly, her turnips suck in the matchup other than edgeguarding, but she can still slowly approach him, maybe taking like 10 - 20% damage, versus her getting 30+ every time. YL's life span is also shorter than peach's because he will most likely kill her off the top every time.

idea

Smash Master
he probably saw:

- join date 2009
- low number of posts
- picture of toon link

which is still unfair, but yeah.

i have never really seen floaties vs. YL in action, except maybe a few matches with chu once...? but everyone tells me that it's pretty even.

jiggs would have bair to get past stuff occasionally...peach would have a harder time cause she can't weave around things as well and doesn't have that kind of range, and turnips isn't as good as bombs, so that matchup would be harder for the floaty...seems to make sense.

edit: ^ that makes sense too...although at least YL can pull bombs while jumping away.

unknown522

Some guy
Jiggs has 5 jumps and an amazing b-air to maneuver around YL's slow projectiles, or just go over them. YL won't reach jiggs in the air, so it's all good. Falco's lasers can barely stop jiggs, what would make people think that YL's will? Both jiggs and peach can also just camp YL back. It's not like shielding the projectiles put them in a bad position.

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
i have never really seen floaties vs. YL in action, except maybe a few matches with chu once...? but everyone tells me that it's pretty even.

jiggs would have bair to get past stuff occasionally...peach would have a harder time cause she can't weave around things as well and doesn't have that kind of range, and turnips isn't as good as bombs, so that matchup would be harder for the floaty...seems to make sense.

edit: ^ that makes sense too...although at least YL can pull bombs while jumping away.
It's good for Y Link considering his killing trouble isn't a problem with Jiggs, but Jiggs can edgeguard him well and her sh nair approach goes through Y Link's boomerang, and Y Link's arrow is pretty useless in the matchup considering Jiggs is constantly in the air, which pretty much leaves his projectile game to bombs. 4-6 is accurate.

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
Yeah, Peach absolutely ***** upclose especially with those DJC Nairs to jab grab shield ****. But once YL gets the camping going its very hard for the peach to stop it. Thats why its evenish.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Saying peach goes 60-40 with y.link is still a little ridiculous, especially when you consider many y.link players believe that he does very well vs peach. You use that peach ***** close combat, but I really don't see how that type of situation will really come up in the match-up considering we would be presented with a character we can severely out camp.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Depends on which stage. Stages with platforms, it's pretty easy to run around and throw bombs non-stop while throwing the odd boomerang. Peach is pretty easy to out run >_>.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
personally i think it's like 55-45 in peach's favor or even
jiggs is 55-45

peach vs. young link is kinda like dk vs. young link. really ****in boring.

unknown522

Some guy
Yeah, YL matches are boring. It's like "watch them try to stall you out, but you realize that they can't / aren't doing anything to you).

Also Jiggs players' secondaries vs people are boring.

rhan

Smash Hero
lol, YL doesn't even out-camp peach that hard. His camping game sucks.
What kind of statement is this??

Young Link's camp game is one of these best due to his quickness and control over his projectiles. Peach gets out camped anyway due to the fact she can't get around every single projectile YLink has to throw at her. Peach is just not quick enough to keep up with YLink's projectiles. Her turnips get negated basically by simple ****. And it's not hard to catch. Hell they're bigger than YLink's bombs which make that a simple catch throw back.

Back your ******* statement up before you say such blasphemy.

idea

Smash Master
i think a good point he made on the last page is that ylink's grab game sucks, so once he forces peach into shield, there isn't a ton he can do with that.

rhan

Smash Hero
lol, why don't you?
It's funny. A back room member can't explain his posts. :chuckle:

Who'd you blow to get into the BR?

i think a good point he made on the last page is that ylink's grab game sucks, so once he forces peach into shield, there isn't a ton he can do with that.
Our grab range is bad and the laggyness behind it does hinder us. But it doesn't mean we can't grab. If Peach is in shield then we just keep a projectile web out there. (Say boomerang on the rebound) and attempt for the grab. If we happen to miss we have a backup plan to try to save our laggy ***. If that fails then we're possibly gonna take some damage.

Just because our grab isn't good doesn't mean it isn't useful.

D20

Smash Lord
Guys... Young Link is terrible. Young Link does not counter Peach. Peach is just one of his better high tier match ups. "Better" for Young Link means something like 65 - 35 in favor of Peach instead of 85 - 15. There is a reason why top level players do not pull out Young Link for the Peach match up. If it was so simple, everyone would do it. Regarding Jigglypuff? I don't know. The only experience I have is with a few sets I played with Sliq last year. I'm reluctant to call that match up at all (although I would imagine it is as close as a low tier can get to going even with a high tier). The only reason Young Link seems to do well against Falco is because Falco players are not experienced against opponents that can camp almost as well as they can. That being said, I'll still take fighting a Falco over a Fox any day.

I like playing as Young Link. I win occasionally. However, he's ranked 17th on the tier list... there is no reason to be talking about him.

wool

Smash Ace
Guys... Young Link is terrible. Young Link does not counter Peach. Peach is just one of his better high tier match ups. "Better" for Young Link means something like 65 - 35 in favor of Peach instead of 85 - 15. There is a reason why top level players do not pull out Young Link for the Peach match up. If it was so simple, everyone would do it. Regarding Jigglypuff? I don't know. The only experience I have is with a few sets I played with Sliq last year. I'm reluctant to call that match up at all (although I would imagine it is as close as a low tier can get to going even with a high tier). The only reason Young Link seems to do well against Falco is because Falco players are not experienced against opponents that can camp almost as well as they can. That being said, I'll still take fighting a Falco over a Fox any day.

I like playing as Young Link. I win occasionally. However, he's ranked 17th on the tier list... there is no reason to be talking about him.
@Rhan
You might want to chill out a bit. unknown knows his stuff and I am pretty sure you know that too.

@D20
Well we've been over practically every matchup so why not go over him.
I'd have to agree with what you said and even the last sentence because Fox's speed scares me too much as YL.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
D20 I am sorry but that was kind of foolish. The main reason people don't pull out y.link for peach is because he's a low tier character, and there are way better choices to pick up as a secondary or even tertiary character. The next main reason would be because there are better counters for peach, like fox or marth or even sheik. Y.link does not do well vs falco and I don't recall anyone saying that in this thread (correct me if I am wrong). And every character should be discussed. Some of the lower tiered characters have good match-ups vs the higher tiered ones, and I think those should be noted and recognized among the smash community.

D20

Smash Lord
I don't think we have the data to have a productive discussion about Young Link's match ups. Caveman's Young Link videos are all from 2005-2006. It is a stretch to use any of them as proof for anything in today's metagame. Tell you what... I'll record a bunch of Young Link matches at RoM II and Pound 4. Just tell me what you want to see, and I'll get it.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
citing matches where one player A) isn't even close to as good as he is now and B) has little to no match-up experience for match-up ratio evidence is pretty weak. I'm also pretty sure that that was a friendly.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
IIRC the old melee match-up chart had y.link and peach at even. What has changed since then in the match-up meta game to warrant peach having a 6-4 advantage? I am willing to bet not much.

unknown522

Some guy
wasn't it 7-3 in YL's favor in the old chart?

It's funny. A back room member can't explain his posts. :chuckle:

Who'd you blow to get into the BR?
oh go **** yourself. This is why I don't bother explaining posts to idiots outside the BR. They get on my *** about getting in the BR, then when I explain **** to them, then it goes in one ear and out the other, then I want to punch them in the face because they deliberately try to piss me off.

You don't deserve to see my back up

Top Bottom