• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Melee, Hacks, and You -- New Hackers Start Here, in the OP!

danny135

Smash Apprentice
What .dat file contains the character selection screen? And does anyone know anything about how it works?(selecting characters for a match and such).
MnSlChar.dat and MnSlChar.usd.

Steelia wrote a guide that can be used to change the textures.

But I don't think anyone has posted on how to add/remove/change the actual characters.

DRGN

Technowizard
Premium
If you're using Dolphin, you can Graphics > Advanced > Dump Textures and somewhere in the dump folder will be what you want. Here's that spark effect in particular (the first appears on its first frame of existence, the second on frames 2 and 3):

As for the tint colour, that's procedural, and I don't know how to find it.

Excellent! Their alpha layers alone will be incredibly useful.

Thank you very much. :D

Theftz22

Smash Lord
Every time I try to create my black doc's CSP, it comes out with like inverted colors or something. It's really weird, it's got weird pixels placed all over but the shape of doc is still there. The background is also yellow instead of red. I've done 17 characters CSPs successfully already and I'm sure that it has nothing to do with any fault on my part. The doc texture I'm using is akatsuki doc for the blue texture. Anyone have any suggestions?

danny135

Smash Apprentice
Every time I try to create my black doc's CSP, it comes out with like inverted colors or something. It's really weird, it's got weird pixels placed all over but the shape of doc is still there. The background is also yellow instead of red. I've done 17 characters CSPs successfully already and I'm sure that it has nothing to do with any fault on my part. The doc texture I'm using is akatsuki doc for the blue texture. Anyone have any suggestions?
That happens to me when I insert the palette data of a stage icon incorrectly. If those textures have indexed color, check that.

:phone:

Theftz22

Smash Lord
What exactly does that entail? Open the texture in photoshop and see if there is an indexed layer? Then what do I do if there is?

Edit: photoshop doesn't support that file format anyway...

SSBfan105

Smash Rookie
Bump. I'm having a problem with hps_insert. For some reason, whenever I try to convert the two wav files, no matter what I do, It always says that the wav files could not be opened. Does anyone know why thats happening? Thanks.

Theftz22

Smash Lord
Bump. I'm having a problem with hps_insert. For some reason, whenever I try to convert the two wav files, no matter what I do, It always says that the wav files could not be opened. Does anyone know why thats happening? Thanks.
Did you make sure to convert to 16 bits and and resample to 3200 Hz?

That happens to me when I insert the palette data of a stage icon incorrectly. If those textures have indexed color, check that.

:phone:
How do I do this, yo?

Acryte

Smash Ace
*summons Magus420 *

Hey Magus what is your current understanding of Projectiles and where projectile transcendence is most likely located/how it works? Now that I've completed Bowser/Ness/Yoshi I want to start on Samus, the major change being trancendence on smash missiles and charge shot... the other stuff like change to upsmash, added knockback on fsmash etc will be easy, but I want to tackle the hard stuff first and last I checked we didn't know how to do this. I know there is that chunk of code that follows the hitbox for projectiles, but changing it doesn't seem to have any effect on transcendence and at the same time, changing it on Falco for example doesn't remove transcendence.

One thing I started doing was going through Falco's file and ZEROING EVERYTHING unnecesary (obviously starting with the code around the hitbox for the laser ... which I've been through already and it affects the laser in various ways but I haven't noticed any changes in transcendence... I was testing it against fox upsmash btw) ... lol. I figure I might get rid of whatever is making his lasers transcendent.. if I can find that out then maybe I can try to apply it to Samus... but that is a long and inefficient process, so before I go wasting my time, If you have any ideas or best guesses as to which file I should primarily be looking at then please let me know, it would be much appreciated.

Also I have a USB geko now and plan on learning basic ASM stuff so I can start utilizing it... but are there any threads here in the workshop specifically geared toward providing examples of using Geko to locate memory addresses or flesh out the interworkings of melee? I feel like a thread like that could take melee hacking a long way by providing guidance, examples, and by making it easier for people to take themselves to the next level.

SypherPhoenix

Smash Lord
Code:
falco laser:
2C 00 00 03 01 2C 00 00 00 00 FF 38 B4 99 00 A0 00 [B]00[/B] 00 47
2C 80 00 03 01 2C 00 00 00 00 FC 5B B4 99 00 A0 00 [B]00[/B] 00 47
2D 00 00 03 01 2C 00 00 00 00 F9 7E B4 99 00 A0 00 [B]00[/B] 00 47
2D 80 00 03 01 2C 00 00 00 00 F6 A0 B4 99 00 A0 00 [B]00[/B] 00 47

2C 00 00 02 07 D0 00 00 00 00 FC 18 B4 99 00 00 0F [B]08[/B] 00 47 
2C 80 00 02 07 D0 00 00 00 00 F8 30 B4 99 00 00 0F [B]08[/B] 00 47 

samus charge (full):
2C 00 00 19 04 B0 00 00 00 00 00 00 B4 92 00 00 19 [B]0A[/B] 06 9F

change 0A to 08 and charge shot doesn't clank
magus' V = transcendent priority

based on Toomai's data this isn't the complete picture of what "Unknown-4" is but turning that bit off for completely disjointed projectiles (not attached to any hurtbox) seems to make it transcendent.

EDIT: References

Magus' detailed hitbox post: http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=10769744
Toomai's details on V: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=14505446#post14505446

Toomai

Smash Ace
Change the 0A to 08 instead, since that flips only one bit. Changing it to 09 flips two bits and would cause the hitbox to deal +65 damage to shields.

Or at least that would make things consistent with almost every item hitbox in the game, but my testing shows that the 09 does no significant shield damage whatsoever. I'm going to attempt to look deeper into this.

Magus420

Smash Master
P/Hitbox Interaction is indeed 2 bits, or rather 2 separate but closely related things. A value of 3/both bits set allows the attack to hit other hitboxes and is able to go into the rebound animation, while a value of 2/1st bit set only allows hitting other hitboxes but won't go into the rebound even if it loses. Fox/Falco's shines have 2 here and are able to clash but the animations will never be interrupted. Setting the 2nd bit changes them to allow it. I don't know of any difference between 1/2nd bit set like dancing blade and 0/neither set like shield breaker.

SypherPhoenix

Smash Lord
Change the 0A to 08 instead, since that flips only one bit. Changing it to 09 flips two bits and would cause the hitbox to deal +65 damage to shields.

Or at least that would make things consistent with almost every item hitbox in the game, but my testing shows that the 09 does no significant shield damage whatsoever. I'm going to attempt to look deeper into this.
Oops, you're right, it was just written down wrong in notepad. Fixed.

I think you've posted about this before, but are the any items that have the last bit (+65) on?

Toomai

Smash Ace
I think you've posted about this before, but are the any items that have the last bit (+65) on?
The f-smashes of the Fan and Home-Run Bat. Fan does 100 shield damage, Home-Run Bat does -9 (and has the 0A-to-08 bit on unlike all other swing items, which kind of seems like it would signal negation from 119 if it didn't control projectiles passing through each other even though the clang controls are supposedly in a different byte). If that's confusing you're not alone.

Theftz22

Smash Lord

Somebody anybody please help me to fix this problem. Aside from some minor things, this is the last thing I really need to do for my ISO. I've done this CSP like 5 times already and it everything I've checked seems to be identical to my working CSPs. I've tried changing TYPE2 to RGB565 and TYPE to CI4 with no success. If you can solve this problem I'll be your best friend.:awesome:

Milun

Smash Ace
Well, since Smashboards is officially back, and since Melee got into Evo (it did, didn't it?), I decided some celebration was in order with one more stage hack:

(Sorry for the lousy quality of the video, but that's been the par for me lately).

http://youtu.be/1fcJTz55rpE

...on a related note, if there's a daytime texture hack for this stage, I'd like to see it. As it is, the main flaw texture has a horrible gash in it (due to shadows).

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
Can someone direct me toward the post that described how to embed action replay codes into an iso file or msg me with some info about it?

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Well, since Smashboards is officially back, and since Melee got into Evo (it did, didn't it?), I decided some celebration was in order with one more stage hack:

(Sorry for the lousy quality of the video, but that's been the par for me lately).

...on a related note, if there's a daytime texture hack for this stage, I'd like to see it. As it is, the main flaw texture has a horrible gash in it (due to shadows).
This stage is pretty amazing imo. Initial thoughts are the ceiling might be a little low though.

Theftz22

Smash Lord

...my ISO is outdated already!

Milun

Smash Ace
Milun, does this work on an SDR .ISO that was originally a 1.2 .ISO?
Uuuuuuum... OH! SD Remix. Thanks, VietGeek's signature. And yes, it will, assuming you use GCR to place it in.

So, the ceiling is a bit low? I'll keep that in mind. If enough people think this is a problem, I'll change it.

Milun

Smash Ace
Really? I assumed the SD Remix was just a normal Melee iso which was hacked, so if you open it in Gamecube Rebuilder and replace the right file, it should function. Fourside isn't language specific... Did it crash? They didn't seem to have any trouble using my Yoshi 64 stage.

GunBlaze

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
GBLZ#778
Really? I assumed the SD Remix was just a normal Melee iso which was hacked, so if you open it in Gamecube Rebuilder and replace the right file, it should function. Fourside isn't language specific... Did it crash? They didn't seem to have any trouble using my Yoshi 64 stage.
When I downloaded that Yoshi 64 stage (well before SDR included it) it didn't work as well. Could the .dol be responsible? Could that be the reason of why I can't play on your Big Blue and finally manage to hear Mach Rider on a fair fight?

Milun

Smash Ace
Um... sorry, I've been out of the Melee scene for a long time, so I don't really know how Melee SD works exactly. If it uses the Homebrew channel or something, that could be a potential problem, but I doubt it. Sorry. Anyone else know what the problem is?

GunBlaze

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
GBLZ#778
Um... sorry, I've been out of the Melee scene for a long time, so I don't really know how Melee SD works exactly. If it uses the Homebrew channel or something, that could be a potential problem, but I doubt it. Sorry. Anyone else know what the problem is?
Remember SDR is just a hacked Melee .ISO, Milun. BTW, which Melee version you are basing yourself on to "fix" stages?

VietGeek

Smash Hero
You have to pad the end of the file with a few extra empty bytes to get it to work with the DM/DML method. Contact me via Skype.

Theftz22

Smash Lord
When I downloaded that Yoshi 64 stage (well before SDR included it) it didn't work as well. Could the .dol be responsible? Could that be the reason of why I can't play on your Big Blue and finally manage to hear Mach Rider on a fair fight?
Wait, there's a big blue fix aswell? Could you point me towards that file?

Milun

Smash Ace
BTW, which Melee version you are basing yourself on to "fix" stages?
PAL. I'm an Australian. Are you using Gamecube Rebuilder when you import the files? Because from my personal experience, it pads files for you. Hm... I would strongly recommend against using my stages with Melee SD then, at least until we figure out what's wrong. I'd hate for DVD's to be wasted.

Now, for the rest of you who don't know, here are some stage hacks (the older ones are a bit crappy though. Use at own risk): http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL56105087849339B7

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Your stages work on Melee SD, just not in the "directly put into your SD card" like Brawl hacks. Gunblaze's problem is fixed anyhow.

obv :012:

Top Bottom