• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Melee, Hacks, and You -- New Hackers Start Here, in the OP!

AGLET

Smash Cadet
ah, ok I was able to change it with gcrebuilder. Thanks Kadano and achilles!

Theftz22

Smash Lord
Audio glitches in dolphin are normal...right? My hacked iso audio glitches all the time in dolphin, I hope it's dolphin and not the iso. I mean, I haven't changed any audio files yet.

AGLET

Smash Cadet
Audio glitches in dolphin are normal...right? My hacked iso audio glitches all the time in dolphin, I hope it's dolphin and not the iso. I mean, I haven't changed any audio files yet.
yeah, this happens to me a lot on Dolphin. Even when it's running around 95%, the audio will be amazingly glitchy. As in, both custom audio files and default audio files will lag or loop a small portion of the music infinitely. If you burn the iso onto a disc and load it on the Wii, it'll come out just fine.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
you have to open it with a hex editor, like hex workshop for example. all editing is done with hex values

or (referring to your post in the other sticky) do you just mean how would you replace your normal select char screen with that white one? because that is just done with gctool and right clicking on mnslchar.usd and hitting replace and then picking your new one.

AGLET

Smash Cadet
I'm opening it with HxD, but the offsets in HxD have a lot more characters than what the examples give. Is there some setting I have to change?

AGLET

Smash Cadet
Never mind, I found the problem. It was just a stupid misunderstanding by me. Thanks for trying to help though

Toomai

Smash Ace
Got a puzzle for the hitbox people about shield damage.

According to the Magus post and my own database, shield damage is bits 16-22 of byte 5, with bit 15 being "unknown 4". This seems to work for everything but the Home-Run Bat's f-smash: its shield damage is listed as 119, which I don't think is legit since it doesn't kill your shield. If this were treated as a negative number instead it would be -55, but that's just nonsensical, and there's no real way to differentiate 119 from the Fan f-smash's 100.

I tried adding in the "unknown 4" bit as an eighth bit of shield damage (since an eight-bit number makes so much more sense than a seven-bit one). This results in the shield damage being 247, but if considered negative, it becomes -9 - the same value as the Home-Run Bat's f-smash shield damage in SSB64. But this then screws with several other values: clearly Mr. Saturn does 21 shield damage, not -107, and some things like Super Scope shots have the "unknown 4" bit set but have no shield damage.

I might be missing previous discussion on this buried somewhere, but I don't remember seeing it.

dexia

Smash Apprentice
Hello.

Character select menu -Brawl-

http://www.mediafire.com/?vnrt6l9ad7c434z

Code:
MnSlChr.usd
000948	80 80 80 FF 00 0B 1A FF FF FF FF	Background
348E88	07 07 07 07 83 8F 94 00 83 8F 94	Bottom frame
348F48	07 07 07 07 92 9E A3 00 92 9E A3	Rule
349008	07 07 07 07 83 8F 94 00 83 8F 94	Top frame
Samples
sorry i don't get it, which character must be changed to change the color?

bertbusdriver

Smash Ace
not sure if this is the right place, but can someone post their dolphin settings?

Still getting some slowdowns despite my decent computer..

Core 2 Duo E8400 (stock speed)
AMD HD Radeon 6870
4x1GB DDR2 RAM

MVP

Smash Ace
is there a .dol or something to put onto my iso to give me all the event quests? cause i'm playin without a memory card and want them. One thats like all the characters and lvls thing?

Theftz22

Smash Lord
I've already finished the majority of my ISO, but I didn't do my hacks on sreepy's 14 min song space ISO. Is there a list of changes he made somewhere to create that ISO?

Theftz22

Smash Lord
I've already finished the majority of my ISO, but I didn't do my hacks on sreepy's 14 min song space ISO. Is there a list of changes he made somewhere to create that ISO?
Anybody? While this break from working on my ISO is nice, I need to start music soon.

Alternatively, is there a way I could automate the task of putting my existing hacks on the sreepy iso? A function in GCRebuilder perhaps?

Wait a minute that ISO is uploaded on megaupload...goddamn. Can anyone email a mediafire link or something...**** melee hacking everything is a pain in the ***.

From what I understand so far, I just have to delete some of the videos (tutorials, opening vid) to make space for greater song length, then use the 15 min hps file in place of the original files. Does the final size of the ISO have to be the exact same after I'm done with this? I understand why it couldn't be bigger, but can it be smaller? Also, can someone upload just the 15 min hps file? When I put my song in using the 15 min hps file, I'm guessing I choose yes to replace filesize, right? Finally, I should use GC rebuilder for all of this?

Thank you very much to anyone with the knowledge and patience to help me here.

Somebody anybody

Sixth-Sense

Smash Ace
San Francisco, Venezuela (not the famous one)
Somebody anybody
I know how you feel man, good thing though i got the whole 15min hps thing, it's simple, extract your iso with GCR, go to the extracted iso and delete the 15min video and replace with a smaller one (doesn't matter which one, i've tried a couple and none of them make the game crash) then grab the same file (the 15min one) and switch it with the stage music file of your choice , then rebuild the same iso with GCR and replace the stage song with any song, just make sure to make it at least 9 minutes, btw, i was checking this same thread looking for the same answer, and at about page 245-this page i found a couple of filesizes that were uploaded to mediafire (someone was asking about the pre-hacked iso, then steelia came in and uploaded those filesizes, and said this was how they did it, oh and i think it was page 247) so yeah you should look through this thread starting page 245 and look for the same post, it's still got the link to the upload, sorry if this isn't enough, i'm just like you, trying to make a friggn awesome melee, but there's practically no one making anything for melee :c.

Theftz22

Smash Lord
I know how you feel man, good thing though i got the whole 15min hps thing, it's simple, extract your iso with GCR, go to the extracted iso and delete the 15min video and replace with a smaller one (doesn't matter which one, i've tried a couple and none of them make the game crash) then grab the same file (the 15min one) and switch it with the stage music file of your choice , then rebuild the same iso with GCR and replace the stage song with any song, just make sure to make it at least 9 minutes, btw, i was checking this same thread looking for the same answer, and at about page 245-this page i found a couple of filesizes that were uploaded to mediafire (someone was asking about the pre-hacked iso, then steelia came in and uploaded those filesizes, and said this was how they did it, oh and i think it was page 247) so yeah you should look through this thread starting page 245 and look for the same post, it's still got the link to the upload, sorry if this isn't enough, i'm just like you, trying to make a friggn awesome melee, but there's practically no one making anything for melee :c.
Thanks so much. For clarification, by deleting the 15 min video, how many songs will I have space for? Won't putting the 15 min video into the spaces for the song make the file too large?

Edit: Can I also delete more videos such as the tutorial video for more space?

Should I just delete MvHowto.mth, MvOmake15.mth, and MvOpen.mth? What is MvOmake15.mth anyway?

What file do I want to replace the song stage hps files with? howto.hps? howto_s.hps?

phish-it

Smash Champion
Has anyone run into trouble when changing injection points to make space in certain subactions? I did so for Bowser's Down B in that vast sea of zeros, and it worked fine (for the down B), but some of his hurt animations have gotten distorted because of the change.

Theftz22

Smash Lord
Ok, so I finally figured out how to prep my ISO for music hacks. Only one question, does anyone know what the names of the .hps files are for Peach's Castle and Mushroom Kingdom 1?

AGLET

Smash Cadet
Ok, so I finally figured out how to prep my ISO for music hacks. Only one question, does anyone know what the names of the .hps files are for Peach's Castle and Mushroom Kingdom 1?
peach's castle is castle.hps

not sure about the other one though

Theftz22

Smash Lord
Yeah sorry didn't want to double post to say that I already found those. Mushroom Kingdom is inis1_01.hps with an alternate of insis1_02. Now what I need is luigi's victory music. Why couldn't it just be ff_luigi.hps? I guess that would be too easy haha.

Theftz22

Smash Lord
Does anyone have the file for the purple stage select screen or just know the offsets for changing that background color in MnSlMap?

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
anyone know if there is a code for self heal since there is one for self damage?

Toomai

Smash Ace
Unlikely, since nowhere in Melee do things self-heal. You can try giving a negative self-damage though (good luck finding out exactly how many bits have to be filled in to do this).

Also I feel like bumping this question.

Qual_

Smash Apprentice
Is it possible to add textures without overwrite originals ?
Some characters have only 4 textures, and a lot have more than 4 textures, why can't we not reproduce it ?

SypherPhoenix

Smash Lord
Got a puzzle for the hitbox people about shield damage.
Ha, I think you basically are the only hitbox person. I'm pretty sure there's no previous discusssion about this. Maybe try writing out the fsmash hitbox in binary along with some other ones for better comparison. Other than that, I would just start copypastaing hitboxes to see whether they're treated differently based on their numbers or whether it has to do with what it's attached to.

not sure if this is the right place, but can someone post their dolphin settings?

Still getting some slowdowns despite my decent computer..

Core 2 Duo E8400 (stock speed)
AMD HD Radeon 6870
4x1GB DDR2 RAM

GeForce GTX 260
2x4GB DDR3 2133
intel core 2 duo @ 3.33 GHz (lol)

Is it possible to add textures without overwrite originals ?
Some characters have only 4 textures, and a lot have more than 4 textures, why can't we not reproduce it ?
I guess it should be if we're given enough space (aka delete some other files). The big problem is that there are probably multiple lists of the costumes each character has, so we'd need to find and rewrite each one, which might not be so easy due to file constraints.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Pretty sure that's a certain in-game filter not working correctly under emulation. The background is always purple but there seems to be some sort of translucent black covering it.

Hydro_Smasher

Smash Journeyman
^What viet geek said. Dolphin does that with melee, theres usually a darker haze above it to make it smoother, but the purple select is a glitch.

gravy

Smash Ace
Can someone help me troubleshoot? I'm having trouble getting hacked melee set up/

Top Bottom