• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Melee, Hacks, and You -- New Hackers Start Here, in the OP!

darkatma

Smash Hero
Hmmm. I forgot about that... The colors of characters are usually pretty easy to figure out. "Nr" means "Normal", default texture; "Re" means "Red"; "Bu" means "Blue", etc.

I'll see if I can get around to updating the page 4 post with some information regarding those abbreviations.
oh no i know what each one means, I meant whenever you make a new texture you should keep a picture of it within the folder. Otherwise we have no idea what the texture looks like until we apply it, and many textures are ugly :p (not yours, just many other people's)

phish-it

Smash Champion
That wiki page is useful. I have some data for Ganondorf:

Neutral B

38AC: .8 - Aerial Warlock Punch horizontal distance
38B0: .92 - Aerial Warlock Punch vertical distance (with DI)

Side B

38B8: .05 - Forward B aerial falling speed ?
38BC: 3.18 - Forward B aerial falling speed ?
38D8: 20 - Forward B aerial landing lag (frames)
38Dc: 40 - Forward B aerial landing lag after hitting something (frames)

Up B

38E4: .85 - Up B Horizontal momentum
38EC: 30 - Up B landing lag (frames)

Down B

3910: 60 - Aerial down B purple Aura angle

391c: - Down B end lag (when used on ground) (higher is less lag)
3920: - Down B landing lag (higher is less lag)

Steelia

Smash Champion
oh no i know what each one means, I meant whenever you make a new texture you should keep a picture of it within the folder. Otherwise we have no idea what the texture looks like until we apply it, and many textures are ugly :p (not yours, just many other people's)
Ohh, I see. :b
That Mediafire page is only being used to upload the original textures of characters and stages, not custom stuff. Anything I personally happen to release is released in here, and other ppl who release their stuff can release theirs..... however they want, I guess. Individual links? That's what they usually do.

TheDekuNut

Smash Journeyman
What do you guys think about making a new thread with all the created texture hacks in a single download? Make a neat index with of a picture of each? Ive got one big folder full of about every character texture uploaded by everyone just like most people do.

Also it makes me really sad to see people burn copies that have all the character selection portraits wrong or default. I know libertyernie made a texture insert program that works really well tho i cant quite get to work myself. It needs more attention from people cause its really good

Acryte

Smash Ace
Yo toaster, Toomai updated it for me the last time :/ I don't want to spend time updating the wiki until all the chars are finished. Mainly because I'd rather spend that time lookin for stuff than doing documentation work. Also, I haven't tested it but I believe there is a "copy table" option for bookmarks in 010 Editor. If we can convert it over to the other table format then we have a quick and efficient means to update the editor with zero extra effort :)

Also, there's probably a bit more for the quick attack, mainly the speed and the length of each part of the quick attack. Once you comb through the values, then that means that you can go back through and turn every value that you didn't find out what it is to something like 4CCCCCCC, and then 00000000. If you try all his moves and you still haven't seen any noticeable signs or crashes then you can be sure you probably got most of them.

@rep, yea I think I highlighted to 017C from the offset. Also yes I got it to display the floats in the bookmarks correctly. What you do is when you make the bookmark set it to big endian; that way the interpreter knows how to read the bits.

Also I'm trying to get feedback from the 010 editor people about certain things with their program. If the program crashes, your bookmarks will DISAPPEAR. So make sure you printscreen your bookmarks occasionally. If you save as, the previous versions bookmarks move into the new file -_- so you can't use that to backup bookmarks. Also I'm trying to see if they can add in selection functionality like a console if you hold a button like alt. Where you could drag up and down and it doesn't select whole rows... but chances are even if they did add it, it wouldn't be very soon.

their response said:
Thank you very much for your email and sorry for the problem you experienced with your bookmarks. When the program crashes, you should not lose your bookmarks and we'll take a look and see if we can find what is going wrong with our code. You did find the Export CSV option for bookmarks. In the future we should really add an Import CSV and Copy Bookmarks commands as that would make things easier. We have had a number of people request a column-editing mode for 010 Editor and we will be adding this in an upcoming version. Let us know if you have any questions or run into any other problems. If you get a crash that is reproducible we would like to know about that too. Have a great day!

Acryte

Smash Ace
Yo. Here you go. I would have gone further with the damn color stuff but .... I'd rather look for other stuff tbh because there's a million of them -_- (there are waaaay more colors. It goes until C9DC)

A788 DISABLE KNOCKBACK AND FLINCHING
A758 Walljump momentum. idk how it works but when higher ... the 1st one is normal then the next has super momentum. Like it updates after the 1st one. I'll narrow it down. I forgot I hadn't finished this section of the file

NOTES ON STUFF:
Sideroll threshold range -1 to 0

Airdodge momentum can go from 0 (no movement aka no wavedash) to however high. 2 is like DBZ status ****.

Shield size reduction speed (higher == faster) this is not shield HP. Your shield can be gone but not broken when set super high. Then the shield is good for like 1 block and then its not covering you anymore because it shrinks so fast (even though it has hp still). when you release and press it again it will start at full size for it's current hp and shrink again so yea.

Spotdodge threshold -.69 is default. -1 can't spotdodge at 100% tilt to 0 aka spotdodge at 0% tilt where shield basically becomes an auto spotdodge. At 0 yoshi will spotdodge and be able to pop shield after. Other characters will just keep spotdodging. A value of -.9 should be almost perfect to make spotdodge easy and shield drop through plats super easy to do. I'm sure the same can be done for crouching on plats vs dropping through.

If you set max shield hp to 0 and this other value to 0 as well then it disables shield. IDK why it needs those 2 in conjunction. At first I thought one might be disabling shield break so that you have no shield hp but you can't shield break so basically nothing happens when you shield. That value doesn't do that though so idk.

Also it seems that there are values in places that control the animation speed of each move's various animations. We just need to find them and we will be able to speed up/slow down character's moves :)

Ignore the value column for colors. The interpreter doesn't have a setting to understand it. It's RRGGBBSS aka red, green, blue, saturation.

Toomai

Smash Ace
The values you've marked as "spotdodge threshold inv" and "sideroll threshold inv" look more like "spotdodge timing window" and "sideroll timing window". As in you have X frames to input the movement.

Is there something in the shield area that controls how much damage the shield takes? Brawl's shields only take 0.7x of the damage they get hit by (as I'm told).

0xa758 is probably the consecutive walljump height multiplier.

Acryte

Smash Ace
I've got something maybe you guys can mull over with me. I probably shouldn't even waste my time with this until I find Roy's jump but... these 2 rolls are next to each other. 841C and 8434. Now these aren't arbitrarily placed. If you swap the 2 so that the back roll comes before the forward roll, then you will do a back roll when forward rolling and vice versa. This code obviously tells it where to go to access the character animations to do a certain action. The questions I have are from where is it told to jump here (any ideas filewise) and where is it jumping to (a much easier question if we figure out what the format for the code is here and what its saying). Just a small extra piece of info, there are a bunch of these little chunks, and in Roy's file the rolls come in as #42 I believe. In Yoshi's its the 44th if I counted correctly. That means they're pretty damn close to the same area. If I find Roy's jump out of shield, the question is will I be able to port the code over to yoshi, lets say, by having it jump to the jump animation. Then again, maybe I have misinterpreted what this section of the file is for... though it seems that when you remove these little sections of code, the animations for things go away, such as landing animations, running animations, jumping animations, and with rolls, you just can't roll.
ROY's rolls forward and back:
0000 05F0 0004 0700 0000 2922 0000 4CC8 8000 00DA
0000 061C 0003 DB00 0000 2BF6 0000 4D14 8000 001A

also I can upload csv files if someone wants to use that to make a table easier.

It might not even be where the jump out of shield is though anyways so you know. Grain of salt.

Acryte

Smash Ace
Yea that don't work. My guess is it refers to animation data that is in another file (aj file probably) and that the AJ file is probably declared somewhere in that code structure or it just tacks AJ onto the filename :/ I tried replacing it with Roys already but that just freezes because the code isn't right probably. I'd probably have more success trying to Change his roll to his jump. If I did that I could then try to use his own jump as what to pin the jump out of shield to instead of whatever it is now.

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
Hey guys, ever since megaupload was shut down, I haven't been able to distribute hacked isos. I've tried several things to get the file to people, including making a torrent and splitting it into parts, but none of them are working. Anyone have any idea how I can get this file to people?

DRGN

Technowizard
Premium
This should be useful: Comparison of file hosting services

I've recently tried GameFront. Seems good. With a free account your files aren't deleted until 6 months of no downloads. Apparently they'll take files up to 2 GB in size. I didn't see anything on filetype restrictions in the FAQ.

I just noticed on that wiki page "AnonStorage". Interesting. Very new site. Claims virtually no limitations. Feels like I'd be dealing with an Internet Mafia though. lol

Acryte

Smash Ace
Every 6 months of inactivity sounds kinda bad. Also, tomorrow is a hackin day :) time to knock out a character. I'm tempted to go over and see what else samus has and try to see if I can give trancendent to charge shot and missiles.

EDIT: Just made me a macro to open GC-tool, load the gcm, replace a specific dat file, and then load the rom in dolphin if its open, otherwise open dolphin and then load the rom. :) Now all I have to do is make changes, click my macro.exe and then start play testing.

Also, can somebody make the floating points page for melee on Dantarion's site added to the Documentation page? Its not listed there and I'm not sure how to add it (I suck with wikis).

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
This should be useful: Comparison of file hosting services

I've recently tried GameFront. Seems good. With a free account your files aren't deleted until 6 months of no downloads. Apparently they'll take files up to 2 GB in size. I didn't see anything on filetype restrictions in the FAQ.

I just noticed on that wiki page "AnonStorage". Interesting. Very new site. Claims virtually no limitations. Feels like I'd be dealing with an Internet Mafia though. lol
thanks, I've got it up again now

standardtoaster

Tubacabra
I replaced my laser yesterday. My wii can read discs now. Four swords reads and plays just fine. Melee is read and shows up on the wii menu but always gets the error has occurred please restart gamecube message when I go to play it. I get the same message with burned melee. Burned four swords works just fine though. Any ideas? ;_;

Edit: Nevermind. I am now able to load the iso using dios mios lite.

phish-it

Smash Champion
I've finally started to understand texture hacking, but I am having some trouble.

I'm editing Dr. Mario's eye textures, which all happen to be _9 palettes with no transparency (atleast the alpha channel is completely white).

Now, the basic eye texture I've been able to edit fine, only when I try to edit the others:EyeL, EyeR (when his eyes look in a different direction) do I have problems. If I'm not mistaken they have the same format as the basic eye texture but when I edit it in the same way it comes out distorted, and I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.

Anyone?

Also, Falco's head/tail still have a blue tint to them even after changing the texture to a different color. What causes this and is it possible to change?

Also, what are people using to record videos in Dolphin with? The default record doesn't really work, and when I try to record in fraps Dolphin just crashes.

TheDekuNut

Smash Journeyman
I've finally started to understand texture hacking, but I am having some trouble.

I'm editing Dr. Mario's eye textures, which all happen to be _9 palettes with no transparency (atleast the alpha channel is completely white).

Now, the basic eye texture I've been able to edit fine, only when I try to edit the others:EyeL, EyeR (when his eyes look in a different direction) do I have problems. If I'm not mistaken they have the same format as the basic eye texture but when I edit it in the same way it comes out distorted, and I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.
Ruken had the same problem with Mario a while back. read posts 2273 and onward that may be of some help

Also, Falco's head/tail still have a blue tint to them even after changing the texture to a different color. What causes this and is it possible to change?
There is some kind of colored reflection effect set on certain textures. no one has ever found/shared what does this. my guess is that its around the polygon data but thats just a guess.

phish-it

Smash Champion
Thanks, I've been looking at that but still no luck.

I'm trying to Bowser's eyes now and God, I give up. The .tpl has more data than the offset for the next texture (hair).

This is the parameter data:

27 - 18Eye - 00061520 (26 lines) -48 {208 colors}
~
28 - 19Hair1 - 000626e0

The Eye tpl is about twice as long as the space between those inputs.

Steelia

Smash Champion
Thanks, I've been looking at that but still no luck.

I'm trying to Bowser's eyes now and God, I give up. The .tpl has more data than the offset for the next texture (hair).

This is the parameter data:

27 - 18Eye - 00061520 (26 lines) -48 {208 colors}
~
28 - 19Hair1 - 000626e0

The Eye tpl is about twice as long as the space between those inputs.
Bowser's eye should be a pretty small texture, even if it is indexed... However, Bowser's is a little more complicated than Mario.

There are 2 parts to an indexed texture (anything ending in _8 or _9 is an indexed texture).

The first part, is the palette data. It can range from 2 to 32 lines. If 32 lines, it starts at offset 0x20 and ends at offset 0x210 in the TPL. If 2 lines, it starts at 0x200 and ends at offset 0x210 in the TPL. If anything else, simply count the lines. I'd recommend starting at the top at 0x20, then subtracting from 32 downward. In Bowser's eye's case, his starts at 0x80 and ends at 0x210.

The second part, is the actual texture data, which starts at offset 0x260 onward in the TPL.

If you're 32 lines, or if your file ends in _8, all you do is copy the appropriate number of lines (usually located in parenthesis in the Placement/Offset TXT file), and paste them -- first the texture data, THEN the palette data directly afterward.

However... if the indexed file has anything other than 32 lines, you need to do some math for the texture data.
In your case, you need to subtract 48 from Bowser's TPL. I use Hex Workshop to subtract, but you can use whatever. Go to offset
and select all the hex from that offset downward. If you're using Hex Workshop, you go to

Tools -> Operations -> Subtract...

Treat Data As: 8 bit Unsigned Byte
Byte Ordering: Little Endian (e.g. Intel)
Value: [enter number to be subtracted here, in this case, 48]
[x] Decimal
Apply On: [x] Selection

Press OK, then save your file. Press OK if you want to save a copy.

After subtracting, go into your main hex program (in my case, Hex Editor Neo). Scroll down to offset
00000260 ~ end of file
(the texture data), and now copy the hex and paste it at offset 00061250 in Bowser's DAT file.
Then, directly after, copy from offset
00000080 ~ 00000210
(the palette data) and paste that directly after.

Now... if you're messing with Bowser's other eye files, the ones at the bottom of the DAT file, instead of directly pasting the palette directly after the texture, you paste the texture data back-to-back, and THEN the palettes nearly back-to-back at the end of the file, in the same order.

The texture data goes back-to-back, as if you're pasting normal data... but after you paste the last texture, you copy the palette from the 1st, paste that directly after the last texture data, skip 2 lines, then paste the next palette, skip 2 lines, paste the next palette, etc. etc. until you've pasted all the palettes in the same order as the texture data.

Dr. Mario's eyes are much easier, there's no subtraction involved, so you copy the entire palette (0x20~0x210) instead of needing to look for a different line.

phish-it

Smash Champion
Hm I guess I may have done something wrong with the original tcs that caused it to be a larger filesize. Well, it worked, thanks alot!

Rep

Smash Apprentice
Also it makes me really sad to see people burn copies that have all the character selection portraits wrong or default. I know libertyernie made a texture insert program that works really well tho i cant quite get to work myself. It needs more attention from people cause its really good
Can you provide a link to this? My CSPs are all messed up and it takes forever to replace them;

TheDekuNut

Smash Journeyman
libertyernie's melee tool is here
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=293653
i haven't quite been able to get it to work myself tho

Godfed's tpl_insert.exe is actually a great program to use. it can completely automate the whole process. the download link its down however so i hope he re uploads it (tho he's been inactive for a year)

EDIT:
saw woonkill's post about this forgot he posted the source code right here

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=11851014&postcount=3096

if you have a file "offsets.txt" that looks something like this
01 -*00138840
02 -*00264240
03 -*0009f840
04 - 0016b840
05 - 0007fa40
06 -*0020ae40

the program recognizes the ones with '*' as a texture with 32 lines of palette data and inserts the hex accordingly and ones with only a space as normal ones

along with a few simple batch programs you can insert every csp with just a few clicks

first i use TexConv.bat to make .tpls. I downloaded it from someone awhile ago.

it just looks like this inside

call texconv.exe 01.tcs 01.tpl
call texconv.exe 02.tcs 02.tpl
call texconv.exe 03.tcs 03.tpl
and continues onward. you can just write this in notepad and save as .bat

next i runtpl_insert.bat which just looks like this

call tpl_insert.exe MnSlChr.usd 01
call tpl_insert.exe MnSlChr.usd 02
call tpl_insert.exe MnSlChr.usd 03

and continues onward. a loop would work but its not necessary at this scale really

I understand all this stuff i said is a sloppy unorganized mess but its just to give you the idea. If you want me to give you some things to download just send me a pm saying so and ill see what i can do.

I think I really should make a new thread about appropriately building an .iso with matching selection portraits but i'm busy with school atm. i feel like this stuff has been made before its just not been made public/ distributed well

Rep

Smash Apprentice
I have the placements and the texconv program, but I've been manually placing the data into the file. Where can I find tpl_insert?

G

genkaku

I just finished editing an iso. I downloaded dolphin and played a couple matches to test things using my keyboard to control my character, which was kind of funny, haha. Anyway, apparently it won't let me LRAstart to restart from pause. Any idea why this might be?

phish-it

Smash Champion
So.... editing vertex data. I know there hasn't been much work done regarding it and that is very difficult but for those who have edited costumes, how exactly do you go about doing it? I figure trying to model the character like batman ears for falcon is a hefty task but what about removing certain parts of the costume?

I noticed the Professor Oak Dr. Mario (sorry I don't know who created this) doesn't have the stethoscope nor the 'dial' type thing on his headband (what is that thing called anyway). I realize the vertex data is written before the texture data in the file but what should I be looking for? Are there any programs that I could use to make this task easier?

EDIT: After messing around I can see how to remove certain vertices/parts of a character but, picking away at the massive code seems like a crude method to actually manipulate them.

Top Bottom