• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MELEE-FC10R Legacy...is done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
we're taking negativity to a level no one's ever seen before!!!!!!!1

PEEF!

Smash Hero
smash 64 smash 64 smash 64 smash 64 smash 64 smash 64 smash 64
In addition, it would be sick to see a Project: M side tournament as well. The public demo will have been out for a few months (it comes out 2maro) and a few members of the backroom will be here including Monk, Strongbad, LE and myself, and we would surely willing to help if there's time.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I've already talked with KishPrime and he stated that a Project M side event will be fine.

Demo 2's release date is the 15th, not the 14th, Peef.

standardtoaster

Tubacabra
They do mention Project M in the op.

"It will feature Super Smash Brothers Melee Singles, Teams, and Crew events, and will also run major tournaments for Brawl, N64 Smash, and Project M"

:)

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
lol
man how old of a build did you play? we've had manual l-canceling for over 2 years

PEEF!

Smash Hero
lol i got raged at a while ago by the P:M folks for talking about why manual l-canceling was poor game design
Manual l-cancelling has been fully implemented for at least a year, and it is identical in length to l-cancelling in Melee. The team has changed their goals and membership quite a bit since the "auto l-cancel" argument, and it has all been in favor of making things as like Melee as makes for a good game. All the core aspects are revived if coding and good gameplay allows, which it almost always does.

john!

Smash Hero
Which side are you on?
i view manual l-canceling as a needless technical barrier.

imagine if, every time you took a stock, you had to press the controller buttons in alphabetical order within one second, and if you failed you had to suicide.

does it make the game more difficult? yes. does it make the game more competitive? debatable. is it good game design that makes the game more fun to play? not at all.

melee is amazingly well-designed, but it still has its flaws. if melee had automatic reduced lag instead of manual l-canceling, the metagame would have evolved faster, and we would currently have a larger scene with even more insane combos and strategies.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I have always argued the same thing john, but isn't there some depth added from lcanceling? You have to know when your character is going to land; lcanceling from a fullhop isn't the same static timing as lcanceling from a shorthop or going down from a platform. It forces you into an action every time you touch the ground -- a certain knowledge about the game. Also, lcanceling has its risks; if you are lcanceling with fox and you are hit, you will miss your tech. If lcanceling wasnt in melee, fox/falco would be much safer when attacking since they would never risk not teching.

john!

Smash Hero
an element in a fighting game only adds competitive depth when there is counterplay from both sides. otherwise it's essentially a "single-player minigame". the only counterplay i can imagine against l-canceling is SDI'ing or counterattacking or something in order to mess up their timing... which is good, but that's a very small part of the metagame, and i don't think it makes up for the high technical barrier of entry that l-canceling presents to competitive melee

PEEF!

Smash Hero
an element in a fighting game only adds competitive depth when there is counterplay from both sides. otherwise it's essentially a "single-player minigame". the only counterplay i can imagine against l-canceling is SDI'ing or counterattacking or something in order to mess up their timing... which is good, but that's a very small part of the metagame, and i don't think it makes up for the high technical barrier of entry that l-canceling presents to competitive melee
Don't you play ICs??...attempts to screw up lcancels are used regularly. Shield-raising is used by all characters (pointing shield up in the air/switching up shield height), ICs doubleshield, and sometime lightshields are all used to mess up the opponent. The first two are the standard-est of the standard in competitive play. Its no single-player minigame.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
John, I'm curious but did you look in to your crystal ball to find that Melee would have a larger and more competitive scene if it had auto lcancelling? Or did you just make that up on the spot.

It's like saying Mario Kart would be more competitive if the game steered for you. Or shooting games if they auto headshot or reload. Or Chess if you bypassed the opening and started each game in the middle. Human beings are prone to error and minimizing that error through hard work and dedication creates this awesome thing called a Skill Gap. This is how competitiveness is created. It's the same reason why Starcraft 2 will never be as deep as Brood War (both great games). The less a human being has to do for perfection, the easier it is to be obtained. And you don't need a crystal ball to know that's a fact.

Manual L-Cancelling is, IMHO, the single greatest accomplishment that Smash had in creating a competitive and deep game.

:phone:

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
lol
manual l-canceling is dumb imo
only relevant in like one matchup.

LongDong

Smash Rookie
Super Smash on N64

Hey I'm from Indianapolis, IN. My friend and I have been playing for a while and are looking for some matches/tournaments for money. Who's in?

Эикельманн [РУС]

Banned via Administration
ill mm anyone in 64. Pick my character even.
Can I money match all of your characters for a dollar? All 2/3 sets, and applying to my terms? :bee:

I'll MM anyone in 64 provided it isn't Boom lol
I'll MM just about anyone in Melee too.
I don't know who you play, but I know you're good. $2 against your main, best of five?

Nintendude

Smash Hero
I don't know who you play, but I know you're good. $2 against your main, best of five?
Sure. If you're down, I'm willing to do a $2 best of 5 with every character (or as many as you feel like MMing). I keep getting people saying they will MM me in 64 and then it never happens, so I want to get as many in as I can get lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom