• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - EVO 2013 (Breast Cancer Research Drive) Melee @ Evo2k13 Donation Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scar

#HarveyDent
I have been to roughly half a dozen tournaments and I have never been this hype. (Dunno if I'll be around during the podcast to get a matched donation tho)
Full details are here and here btw :D

We are just going to monitor this site in real time (whatever the value is at 9pm minus what the value was at 6pm Pacific) and that will be the number we hit. So, if you can't watch the cast but have access to a computer, you can still participate in the drive =D

Theftz22

Smash Lord
If you're from a well off family, encourage your parents to donate for breast cancer support. Just got my mom to donate 10. xD

BetaBahamut

Smash Journeyman
Wow, I just read the skullgirls thread, I kinda feel sad if we beat them. Lets be honest here we really dont need the exposure No FGC guys are gonna pick up our game just for evo, But for those skullgirls guys this seems like there only chance to make it to the big time. Idk Im prolly still gonna donate for melee but I still feel bad for them.

thespymachine

Smash Ace
Wow, I just read the skullgirls thread, I kinda feel sad if we beat them. Lets be honest here we really dont need the exposure No FGC guys are gonna pick up our game just for evo, But for those skullgirls guys this seems like there only chance to make it to the big time. Idk Im prolly still gonna donate for melee but I still feel bad for them.
Link? pl0x

Atlus8

Smash Master
I do agree that SG community NEEDS this to happen for them! DOA5 and VF5 are also games that NEEDS this to happen! However, SSBM community are the ones that WANT this to happen!

Seartu

Smash Journeyman
Also, feeling sad. SG devs, and players obviously care for their community. It's too bad that this has come down to two games who's communities have so much to gain from the massive exposure offered by an EVO main event slot.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Someone with the ability should put up the melee it on me podcast on the announcements as an excuse to advertise the 6x+ (or w/e it was) donation matching.

prog

Priest of the Temple of Syrinx
Also, feeling sad. SG devs, and players obviously care for their community. It's too bad that this has come down to two games who's communities have so much to gain from the massive exposure offered by an EVO main event slot.
Like I said in the topic, SG is a fantastic game. However, this community has given me so much, this wouldn't even be close to repaying the favor.

MajorMoses

Smash Journeyman
Looking at the Skullgirls thread now that they know about our potential donations tomorrow is like looking at an abandoned puppy. :( Sorry guys. You'd be my number one choice if Melee wasn't an option.

Anth0ny

Smash Master
This is true.

But at the same time, I feel like Skull Girls would be ignored not only at Evo, but after Evo.

Melee, like Marvel and Street Fighter, is one of the only fighting games with the perfect spectator formula. Recognizable characters, fast paced, flashy combos. Skull Girls has those last two, but not the first =(

illboyzeus

Smash Ace
lol skullgirls combos are not flashy. They are just long as ****. Mainly why I dropped it. If I want long *** combos I'll just play blazblue which has better characters and systems already.

Revven

FrankerZ
If I want long *** combos I'll just play blazblue which has better characters and systems already.
Or you'd even play Marvel... like a lot of top players already do and probably factored into their decision on continuing to play SG at events (alongside entrant numbers, too, of course). And let's not forget that a certain patch for SG is only on one console right now because of Microsoft's size restrictions. A lot of the top players own 360s, if they can't practice the latest version what's the point in playing it?

Sad story or not, I want Melee at Evo. Sorry.

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
This is true.

But at the same time, I feel like Skull Girls would be ignored not only at Evo, but after Evo.

Melee, like Marvel and Street Fighter, is one of the only fighting games with the perfect spectator formula. Recognizable characters, fast paced, flashy combos. Skull Girls has those last two, but not the first =(
Lol all the Skullgirls sympathy.

EVO's a competition, not a charity advertisement. Mike Z and the rest of the SG dev team has done a great job keeping the game legit but if it needs Evo for the scene to thrive and the game to sell then that's a sign that they're not nearly as qualified as Melee to be at Evo.

I'd take Skullgirls over any of the games in the Evo 2013 lineup though, except maybe KoF13.

illboyzeus

Smash Ace
Or you'd even play Marvel... like a lot of top players already do and probably factored into their decision on continuing to play SG at events (alongside entrant numbers, too, of course). And let's not forget that a certain patch for SG is only on one console right now because of Microsoft's size restrictions. A lot of the top players own 360s, if they can't practice the latest version what's the point in playing it?

Sad story or not, I want Melee at Evo. Sorry.
I do play marvel and became one of the best in the midwest over these last few years in it winning like 30ish tournies lol. I love marvel. But melee was my first love and gave me the execution to play fighters today. You go from Falco to SF/Marvel and it isn't ****. I was already going to EVO but if ****ing melee made it in I wouldn't dare miss it. Hell I'll get bodied since I haven't competed in years but who cares. this community helped make me the gamer I am today and it deserves all the exposure it gets

SG is just a really niche game with no truly likeable characters imo. They've told me the patch fixed a lot of the issues I had with it so I'm going to check it out again tho.

Vkrm

Smash Lord
We might not beat them.... And we don't owe them our sympathy

If the roles were reversed they'd be too busy celebrating to feel bad for us. We should try to match them and have it end in a tie deliberately.

:phone:

clowsui

Smash Legend
I do play marvel and became one of the best in the midwest over these last few years in it winning like 30ish tournies lol. I love marvel. But melee was my first love and gave me the execution to play fighters today. You go from Falco to SF/Marvel and it isn't ****. I was already going to EVO but if ****ing melee made it in I wouldn't dare miss it. Hell I'll get bodied since I haven't competed in years but who cares. this community helped make me the gamer I am today and it deserves all the exposure it gets

SG is just a really niche game with no truly likeable characters imo. They've told me the patch fixed a lot of the issues I had with it so I'm going to check it out again tho.
wait a minute i thought brightside was winning the chicago tournies?

are you the dude that almost beat mihe at faustings?

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
lol skullgirls combos are not flashy. They are just long as ****. Mainly why I dropped it. If I want long *** combos I'll just play blazblue which has better characters and systems already.

Latest patch helps to alleviate this tho. It's less long *** combos, and more resets. :V

That being said.

I kinda want SG to start showing up at smash tourneys lol.

It'd be awesome of we could get a bond formed.

illboyzeus

Smash Ace
wait a minute i thought brightside was winning the chicago tournies?

are you the dude that almost beat mihe at faustings?
I live in MN. my tag is Zeu$ lol just like on here. Brightside is hella good tho. Been slipping lately though, only got 9th at our last regional a couple weeks ago. still the only dude in the MW I would say has a better record in the MW is Andre and I'm like 4-1 lifetime anyway. But it doesn't matter, we suck, and the other regions are leagues better right now. Just like in Melee :urg:

clowsui

Smash Legend
LMAO when your best player is OMGItzDroppedComboz you know we got problems

and yeah skill for midwest players just isn't there and it has a lot to do with population density heh

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
LOL atlus that is a BOSS picture.

Spam melee it on me on facebook/twitter/reddit/hand out flyers/call your parents/tell your family/whatever else

Just tell everyone you come into contact with.

I expect that 1k to be reached!

Scar

#HarveyDent
Just wanted to throw in my $0.02 for the SG developers and community - we are all gamers and we all want to see eSports to succeed. I can say for my part that regardless of who wins, if SG wants to partner with Melee in some way that is mutually beneficial I would be completely receptive to that.

We all know what it's like to be extremely passionate about a game that isn't extremely well-known. Both of our communities are excited about this potential opportunity and both of our communities are showing how much we care about our games in a way that is, at the same time, supporting the fight against breast cancer. This is definitely a win/win for everyone and I'm thrilled that EVO has given all of the nominated game communities this awesome opportunity. Like they said, not winning this drive is certainly not losing.

Whoever doesn't get the opportunity will certainly be a bit let down, but in the long run I hope that we can all work together to promote eSports and to support our fellow gamers.

0sh

Smash Cadet
Whoever doesn't get the opportunity will certainly be a bit let down, but in the long run I hope that we can all work together to promote eSports and to support our fellow gamers.
If it looks like Melee is going to completely dominate Skullgirls at the end of the month (and judging by the mood both here and on SRK it looks like it will), there's no reason that we couldn't hold a separate round of donations that can be given to the Skullgirls community to use as a prize fund for their EVO side-tourney. Even if it only amounts to a few hundred, a small gesture of goodwill can go a long way.

Acryte

Smash Ace
Lol so that was you zeus. Yea they weren't too friendly about it but I think it was really just that one guy who was being particularly defensive.

Yea skullgirls is legit, I'm just not personally fond of it (especially the art direction), I got a friend who is nuts about it though kinda like I am with melee. Would be cool if they came to G3nesis. That would be pretty respectable and could help bolster more involvement in their community.

MajorMoses

Smash Journeyman
Just wanted to throw in my $0.02 for the SG developers and community
Oy oy! That $0.02 could have been used for Melee and you gave it to our competition?!?

But seriously, if we do end up winning, would it be possible to offer them a streamed tournament at Genesis 3 and make it the week after EVO? Think about it, we'd have just shown off our hype game in front of tens of thousands of viewers. If our commentators make mention of the fact that you can see more live Melee a week later, the amount of viewers for Genesis would really increase. It wouldn't be as much as if it were shown at EVO, but a Skullgirls tournament streamed at Genesis would get quite a bit of attention. And if they got enough high level players there, I think it would do a lot of good for them.

KoopaTroopa895

Smash Apprentice
Oy oy! That $0.02 could have been used for Melee and you gave it to our competition?!?

But seriously, if we do end up winning, would it be possible to offer them a streamed tournament at Genesis 3 and make it the week after EVO? Think about it, we'd have just shown off our hype game in front of tens of thousands of viewers. If our commentators make mention of the fact that you can see more live Melee a week later, the amount of viewers for Genesis would really increase. It wouldn't be as much as if it were shown at EVO, but a Skullgirls tournament streamed at Genesis would get quite a bit of attention. And if they got enough high level players there, I think it would do a lot of good for them.
This sounds great and all but we gotta win first XD There still in the lead and I doubt they feel like giving up with 15 days left. Im about to pull out the piggy bank for melee it on me though

Acryte

Smash Ace
Yup, the FGC knows best... It ain't ova till its ova.

****, realized I have duty tomorrow and won't be able to watch the stream :/ lame. Damn navy.

Also SUP @GHNEKO, we need to get some smash on soon homie, I was out at sea for a long *** time, I'll be around till late february and then we head back out again :(

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
I can't tell if that BrandX guy is the funniest troll in history or legitimately disturbed but I'm laughing anyways.

#cutforSkullgirls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom