• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MD/VA Power Rankings: Updated 8/14/12

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
I can pick you up tomorrow Jrugs and you'd have to sleep over my house and we'd be leaving early Friday (Like 6:00 AMish). I'll be at the Alameda (Next to Morgan state/JHU) around 1-3 pm (I'm there every day from Monday-Friday). Address?

:018:

Jrugs

Smash Ace
I can pick you up tomorrow Jrugs and you'd have to sleep over my house and we'd be leaving early Friday (Like 6:00 AMish). I'll be at the Alameda (Next to Morgan state/JHU) around 1-3 pm (I'm there every day from Monday-Friday). Address?

Kewl I have class from 9-3. Don't mind @ at all going to ur house.
Address: 140 w Lafayette ave

Shadocat

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3737-9651-3260
There is actually going to be a Smash tournament in Richmond VA. I'm gonna try and attend even though I don't have a cube controller on me and I haven't touched Brawl since May (gonna hit up some gamestops and play n' trades). Y'all should come down. They have melee, brawl, and other fighters.

https://www.facebook.com/events/172707006162540/
I actually wouldve tried going to that one if i wasnt already planning on going to the on in radford. I live closer to radford compared to a 4-hour drive to richmond.

Luckay4Lyphe

Smash Master
Gonna start brawling around 5:30. Contacted bio, but he didn't text back. so it's about to be me and seagull and slikvik once he responds since boss might not be able to make it.

Coney

Smash Master
so i was thinking today

i think a big reason of why i don't really care about brawl anymore is because it isn't fun, and i think a big reason of why it isn't fun is because there aren't smashfests

the vgbc boys hold one every once in a while which is nice, but it usually has one setup. i know this promotes competition and all, but it really sucks when i'm trying to train a new character and just get knocked out and have to wait another hour or so before i get to play another set

really miss omni's ****, with the main "hype" setup and a few others to play on before your turn came, everyone that went to that **** got better FAST

Freezewish

Smash Ace
so i was thinking today

i think a big reason of why i don't really care about brawl anymore is because it isn't fun, and i think a big reason of why it isn't fun is because there aren't smashfests

the vgbc boys hold one every once in a while which is nice, but it usually has one setup. i know this promotes competition and all, but it really sucks when i'm trying to train a new character and just get knocked out and have to wait another hour or so before i get to play another set

really miss omni's ****, with the main "hype" setup and a few others to play on before your turn came, everyone that went to that **** got better FAST
Sassyfests back in the day were da bess.

Jrugs

Smash Ace
so i was thinking today

you could always vacation in Texas. Tourneys every week.

Shadocat

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3737-9651-3260
You hold more smashfests with more setups then, hell even livestream them for that extra flavor. Do it like once every two weeks. Or play with nearby friends.

Ive pretty much been playing with only 1 or 2 people since november last year, and these guys are really good so i get good practice. And the rest of my friends i used to play with ditched brawl to play Magic(WHO THE **** STOPS PLAYING BRAWL(smash bros in general) FOR MAGIC THE GATHERING!!?? WHO!!!??) *salt rage*

The way i see it, we're the least active state on the east coast(minus the states that dont have a community) we should be more active.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
so i was thinking today

Like I posted before, Xanadu is down with having a weekly smashfest. They have TVs so we'd only have to bring Wiis, plus we'd stream it for even more hype. I'm trying to build something but I mostly got complaints from people saying it was too far away or on the wrong day.

We can do Mondays, Tuesdays, or Thursdays(Xanadu said Tuesdays since they just canceled Yugioh so they'd have to approve Mondays or Thursday)

Coney

Smash Master
i mean, i really like the idea, but it's obviously not worth much if i'm the only one. it'd be especially good for me, since i'm in a show now and in rehearsal most other days and busy every saturday now

i guess i never spoke up before but i like the idea a lot

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
I'm fine with any of those days Calvin. My brother just moved out for 6 months so I got his giant *** room now. I could host a smashfest of a max of like 6 people prob now.

NO-IDea

Smash Lord
Like I posted before, Xanadu is down with having a weekly smashfest. They have TVs so we'd only have to bring Wiis, plus we'd stream it for even more hype. I'm trying to build something but I mostly got complaints from people saying it was too far away or on the wrong day.

We can do Mondays, Tuesdays, or Thursdays(Xanadu said Tuesdays since they just canceled Yugioh so they'd have to approve Mondays or Thursday)
I would be down for every Thursday. EVERY THURSDAY.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
This is looking promising let me make sure nothing big happens on Thursdays.

:phone:

Coney

Smash Master
for the next month thursdays suck for me, but after that i should be able to make it. and if you do one this week, i'd def be able to come by.

do this!

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
I have classes on tuesdays and thursdays until 10pm, so no-go for me.

Deez.

Smash Lord
I'm down to play on Thursdays... Just need a ride.

If people wanted to play in my basement.. That's fine too.. Just let me know ahead of time. Down to give anyone Diddy practice.

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
"We should do the ultimate MD/VA petition and vote for how many people want to play either Brawl or Melee. If more people vote Melee, then we all play Melee. If more people vote Brawl, we all play Brawl.

Like, I'd rather play a game that is less fun but maintain the entirety of our community than have the option of playing a better game but have our community split."

How many of you would actually wanna' run through this? I feel like MD/VA can use a huge overhaul and bringing back everyone from both sides would make our scene much larger and robust. Not to mention there's always the option to playing whichever game you prefer if the same players are at the same events.

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
Dude Omni, that's like asking palestine and israel to stop fighting and share as one land. Or asking everyone to use the unity ruleset. Sure, some people will do it, but there will still be people who refuse.

I mean, i'm all for playing melee or brawl, as is EE, Seagull, and a few others, but most of the brawlers are too far behind in Melee to even catch up to the likes of Chillin, Azen, and Chu and even they aren't even placing in nationals so that kind of puts us all at a loss.

I think there is an untapped community that we really haven't cultivated that could be phenomenal. My wife's sister is totally interested in learning smash actually and she already knows phil and I and there are definitely people like that around me who watch us play and are interested. I know you all have people like that.

Furthermore, there are definitely some new players that don't get a lot of experience or can't get rides to events- we need to help them.

In addition, there are some old vets who are inactive (HOVA) who could return to playing. I'd really like to see them back.

I have a list saved somewhere of almost 200 players in the MD/VA area who could play brawl, no reason we can't have 30+ turnouts on a regular basis.

Coney

Smash Master
I'd never make the complete switch over to Melee. There's a huge entry barrier, coming into the metagame a decade late, and I'd refuse to surrender all the time and experience I've gathered playing Brawl to start all the way at the beginning again.

Maybe it's a good idea for some people who care about competition more than me, but I really don't care about Melee, and I'm sure their players would say the same about Brawl.

If it weren't literally 11 years later, it'd be fine. I think I'd like Melee better anyway, to be completely honest. But there's an entire generational gap you're talking about.

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
gf is gone for 2 weeks. if anyone wants to brawl with me in Silver Spring after 6:30 let me know

Top Bottom