• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MD/VA Power Rankings: Updated 8/14/12

so no tourneys here soon? damn, no melee OR brawl tourneys in this area.
I'm thinking of hosting a tournament to prepare to Apex in a few months. It would have to be on a Tuesday or Wednesday (December 27 or 28. Those are the only possible days because that's when they close the latest, 9pm). It'd be in a big library room which holds up to 50 people and it's free to rent

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
I can actually rent out the community center a block from here and host something, but to rent it for the whole day is $150. Depends if people are interested.

2fast

Smash Journeyman
I have the possibility of a venue in Eldersburg, Maryland in a Comic book shop. Should I ask them?

:018:
Yes :D

I can actually rent out the community center a block from here and host something, but to rent it for the whole day is $150. Depends if people are interested.
This guy is.

Haven't been to a tourney in like 3 weeks. If coney could host that MK banned tourney than I'd be happy as a mofo :bee:.

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
See this is the problem with MD/VA

Everyone says "i will hold if there is interest..."

But no one actually generates interest. No one does anything interesting or unique. Hell ChuDat did more unique things with tournaments than anyone has in the past year. Back in the day, G-reg and Chu would just post tournaments and people would show up because they created interest. C3 originally had some great deals. Chu's house was always a unique event until he got too greedy. Guys, generate the hype you want, don't ask for it. Perfect Example: Brandon had an event at five guys that was megahype because it was at a fast food place. He put a lot of effort in it and got a lot of return. It's like they say about any sport or aspect of life, and i'll apply it here: "What you put into TO'ing is what you'll get out."

How do you think Alex Strife got the hype for his events he wanted? It wasn't on accident. It took hard work and planning. Now he is so big he has to delegate responsibility to others and everyone wants to go to his events.

I thought my efforts with Xanadu would spark and inspire people on how to create hype and seek interest for players, but no one seems to learn around here anymore. I'm getting married guys. I can't be active in this scene anymore, there is too much going on in the world around me and i'm ready to move on. So I'd like to see someone move up and take the banner. Had it not been for a lousy hurricane, I would've had near people in the Xanadu venue for Smash Bros. That hasn't been done in MD/VA (save for MLG/Pound) since Brawl in the Mall in 09. Guys, you can do this. I have a list somewhere on my computer that has a list of like 200ish viable smash players in the MD/VA area. You can do it!

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
What Tant said. Same goes with smashfests like turning it into the HTC.

Can't just be like, "Smashfest at my place. Anyone wanna' come?" unless you're Deez or Kenny.

Frankly, I think Brawl in MD/VA is slowly reaching its end. Hoping that with MK banned it may be revived a bit more, but I don't know anyone who's going to start showing up with him gone.

g-regulate

Smash Hero
$150 community center, that's only 30 people needed with a $5 venue fee. with at least 3 weeks or a months notice, that can easily be done, i think. i wanna enter a tourney but dont want to drive to NJ or something for brawl LOL.

then again, when i left brawl, everyone was poor as ****, and attendance was horrible cause no one could drop $30 on tournaments. when those tournaments only happen once every month/2months, that number seems a lot more reasonable.

off topic : the greatest commentary of any smash match of all time, where you at E? step ya game up http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4GZp99ia7Q

Brawlin

Smash Journeyman
Anybody planning on hosting a smashfest tomorrow? There's a melee smashfest up in PA tomorrow, but I'd rather do brawl than melee.

:phone:

KageMurphy

Smash Master
Seagull and Bio, stop saying you could do something and just do it! If you get these venues then you can plan dates that won't conflict or be close to one another, one of you could do second week in Nov and the other could plan for something early next year after APEX(late Jan?). I say next year cause something to build hype in this region isn't a bad thing, I'd say the community center Bio talked about would be good. That would also certainly be enough time to generate hype and get 30+ people. Coney mentioned doing something in Nov but until he actually makes it offical, someone should get the ball rolling! Now be sure to also keep events from Xanadu since that still says its Dec 3rd.

I'll be honest, I don't care about this game much anymore, this MK ban crap and Unity garbz has really made me sour towards things so even tho I hope you take my advice as well as Tants and go hard and bring this region back I won't be hyping(meaning I'll keep comments to myself) or going to anything MK banned, I just don't think its fair... but if you really think MK banned events will help bring people back or get new people then it won't matter. If Seagull hosted something MK banned then that would be the exception, cause that's my boy but I would not enter, just help him run it. Leh go~!

Going to large events with MK banned(like maybe Concentrate) to commentate but not play is how I'll roll till after APEX.

:017:

Luckay4Lyphe

Smash Master
Yo bio host an event, you got this, everyone in md/va is secretly hungry.

Yo Joegull, host an event, people will come lol. Hype it now and maybe even oos will come. We need events if we want to do good at Apex.

2fast

Smash Journeyman
Hey EE, why not hit up some D3 now like you used to since MK is getting banned? Or has all the enjoyment for playing D3 left you?

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
I'm just hesitant about hosting something because the one time I did, no one showed up. My tourney would be :metaknight: legal with a side event for $2 for a unity ruleset :metaknight: banned one.
Edit: Called the comic book store and we're gonna work something out tomorrow for details. If he charges me an affordable amount then I'll host some tourney in November. The place would be in Eldersberg, which is generally close to a lot of you. And it'd be a 10/10/10 tourney so no *****ing.

Brawlin

Smash Journeyman
I'm just hesitant about hosting something because the one time I did, no one showed up. My tourney would be :metaknight: legal with a side event for $2 for a unity ruleset :metaknight: banned one.

Just do it man. MD/VA is just so dead. Most likely, people will show up since there hasn't been anything since Woodbridge.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
id prefer an mk banned tourney. just my opinion :)
I know Greg, which is why I'm gonna have a :metaknight: banned side event, but by having a banned one I lose more tourney goers by comparison (Pink Fresh, Noid, Phil, Omni?, and Neo?). I know people would still go to a :metaknight: legal tournament.

Might ban :metaknight: in doubles. Unsure yet. Opinions on :metaknight: being banned in just doubles?

Nothing is confirmed yet. I gotta talk to the owner of the store tomorrow. I hope I get an affordable price!

Coney

Smash Master
i would love nothing more than to hold big events on a semi-regular basis, but it's pretty difficult when its out of your own house

if i could find a reasonable venue around my area i would 100% follow up with it, but there's just not a lot around here except senior centers for old people and ****, and they're all unreceptive

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
At this point I'm waiting on Zak and Joe first before I plan stuff :p

I will likely host an Apex practice tourney a week before Christmas Eve though

g-regulate

Smash Hero
you 3 should just all put money together to pay for a venue.... then if you don't get enough to pay for it all, at least you are dividing the loss 3 ways and its not horrible.

Top Bottom