• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MC's Wario guide. + matchups

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
We have terrible range, but Luigi also has terrible range and also approach of Luigi is abysmal, but he has insane attack speed and 2 of his attacks have amazing knockback.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Just avoid getting grabbed. His Nair destroys everything in this game. So long as you don't get combo'd, you're golden. I mean... it's Boss. Best Mario/Luigi.

Excellence

Smash Champion
Why don't the Wario Boards have a Weekly Match-up guide? I always have to go to the opponent's character boards to learn what to do and even then people just slap numbers on the match-up and call it a day.

BMX

Smash Lord
Yea. I tryed camping him. It somewhat worked, but its hard to approach with such good and fast ariel game.

Ace55

Smash Lord
Why don't the Wario Boards have a Weekly Match-up guide? I always have to go to the opponent's character boards to learn what to do and even then people just slap numbers on the match-up and call it a day.
We're lazy.

I think that's the reason.

MorphedChaos

Smash Lord
Sorry, that might help with my matchups as well, as I'm doing most of it from memory/experience/videos/guides, not peoples opinions. (Well, besides maybe DMG/Dojo/Hylian/fiction ext...)

Pika I'm not too sure what to write, which is why I haven't done him.

Gichan

Smash Champion
We should definitely discuss Luigi again, seriously, it seems only Warios with great knowledge in that matchup can win, otherwise prepared to get destroyed.

Like I got wrrrecckkeedd by a Luigi, and fortunately or unfortunately it is on youtube...

I have been trying hard to hide this vid in the closet, but here it goes....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyV6PQ3VktA

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
1) You were way too aggressive (I know it sucks to be unable to string hits on someone, but it really isn't safe to try for followups against Luigi)
2) You didn't bait nearly as much as you should've been baiting (baiting his moves to punish with dair is amazingly effective b/c of his low speed... get someone to play as Luigi vs you and learn his ranges)
3) Fair him more, fair is great vs him and you'll often trade hits.
4) Don't EVER get fsmashed
5) You can fsmash pretty safely if he's grounded b/c of the pushback on his shield.

MorphedChaos

Smash Lord
Updated, added Kirby and DK, will do IC in a little bit.

I think I might wanna change the pictures to having their offical brawl art, but with Wario's face, who can do that for each character? I've got some already in the picture topic, but I need more if I wanna do that.

Shadow 111

Smash Lord
I think i'm switching from maining mk to maining wario (secondarying mk) and i've been reviewing all of my matchups and who i'd use in each... this is a good guide ^_^. I'll see how i can do going wario at my next tourney this weekend. If i am forced to use wario vs DDD, which i do not want to do.. but may be counterpicked... it's good to know that i can air camp him and have an almost even matchup.
How is halberd against snake? I hate FD but snake is just sooo good on halberd.... i would think wario can play well on it because he can get easy kills off the top and side, but so can snake >_<.
I could just camp underneath that center platform to avoid being grabbed to up tilt or nair though, right? or does the up tilt hit before i land on it?

Gichan

Smash Champion
I thought Kirby pwned Wario because of priority issues.

So what is a good way to deal with Kirby's bair? I didn't find that in the write-up. airdoge through it? is there a part of his body that is vulnerable? Like can I go from the top and hit him?

MorphedChaos

Smash Lord
Basically the entire fight is just baiting until he doesn't do something like the Bair, or you can airdodge through him to make him use a Dair/Fair/Nair or the like.

You can throw a bike at him though, lol.

stnapknah

Smash Journeyman
or does the up tilt hit before i land on it?
Snake's up-tilt will go through the platform before you can safely shield it. The best thing you can do is prepare to DI with the joystick and the c-stick to the edge. On halberd, though, this doesn't help much.
I thought Kirby pwned Wario because of priority issues.

So what is a good way to deal with Kirby's bair? I didn't find that in the write-up. airdoge through it? is there a part of his body that is vulnerable? Like can I go from the top and hit him?
Air dodge through it or just bait him into using it and punish. Use platforms to get around. Fair poke it. Grab it. All these options work, just be sure to mix it up. Mix up your short hops and full hops as well. If you get a grab, up-throw and chase for some claps... clap> kirby's dair all the time.

Morphed, the cg on dk is to 100%, it's not an infinite.

Shadow 111

Smash Lord
Snake's up-tilt will go through the platform before you can safely shield it. The best thing you can do is prepare to DI with the joystick and the c-stick to the edge. On halberd, though, this doesn't help much.
ahh, that sucks. oh well. can someone still tell me whether they would rather ban this or FD and why?

MorphedChaos

Smash Lord
Is it? I thought I read 120%, but 100% is still an infinite :p

Alright, I'll fine-tune it, two matchups in one day and almost a third, I'm bound to not be 100% XD.

I usually ban FD on principle, Brinstar is so much better. FD doesn't benefit Wario at all.

Shadow 111

Smash Lord
Is it? I thought I read 120%, but 100% is still an infinite :p

Alright, I'll fine-tune it, two matchups in one day and almost a third, I'm bound to not be 100% XD.

I usually ban FD on principle, Brinstar is so much better. FD doesn't benefit Wario at all.
it's NOT an infinite >_> an infinite would mean it goes on forever... if something ENDS at 100% how can you call it an infinite? -__-

stnapknah

Smash Journeyman
obviously, you guys have never tried it, because it gets really hard to do once he's at about 80%, and no f-smash is going to kill DK at 100% anyway. Plus, he can grab release you into nasty stuff, so if you really do end up having a hard time getting that kill, the match-up isn't as much as a given as you might think.

Hyper Shadowz

Smash Rookie
I think you should make the characters name just a bit bigger size like this, Can't really see it....
Other then that, This guide is very helpful.

Gichan

Smash Champion
Yes, Wario does own ICs. I mean, if we get grabbed, well it happens. But overall, that is some good info, dair is beast against them. We could also easily apply pressure off stage with bairs, it is such a good kill move off stage.

But one thing Wario mains must try not to do, don't bike the blizzard, they are always short hopping and it will always go through the bike, then we get owned.

Things to watch out for;

TDI that squall, if one of them is squalling it is a set-up for a grab.

TDI the blizzard up as well since they may be able to grab you off the blizzard with the other climber.

SDI the ice block in a footstool chain grab to the opposite side of where you are getting hit, Wario will cover more distance on the ground therefore less chain time. Alt throws, you're ****ed.

Watch for the dtilt near the edge, it sends you diagonally towards your death, lol, sucks to be hit by it.

Uair goes through all of our ****, don't even try to approach with dairs from above, trust me, in this matchup uair>Wario. Overall, their hammers have a **** load of priority, so just concentrate on aircamping or separating them.

Most of the time, when counterpicking, if you find that you cannot handle the ICs, counter to a gay stage like Brinstar or something, they will probably switch to a secondary (most likely MK, they all just seem to have one), but if you find you can handle, take them to something like distant planet, or BF where you can air camp easily and most importantly, making them stick to ICs.

What else...BF is preference based. Some Warios may have a harder time on BF then others, it all depends on how you can handle that uair. Platforms really help IC's uair.

Oh, and tires kinda suck in this matchup, their blizzard and iceblock get the tire out of the way easily. And attempting to pick up a bike when they are near is dangerous, it could lead to a grab.

On a side note; I don;'t think the matchup for Wario against DK shouyld be 8:2, even with the cg. It may be hard at times to get the grab, and a DK can space very well with all that range, not to mention a brutal grab release. I think someone mentioned this before. If anything, it should be 7:2 max.

MorphedChaos

Smash Lord
I've never really had any problems with DK players, but I'll modify it. Do you have any good vids I could get the info off of?

Don't forget though, I'm the gayest Wario you'll ever meet, I'll aircamp after I get my first kill, and I'll even still aircamp while trying for the first kill.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
I've played Cyphus... no way it's 8:2... I'd even argue against 7:3 and go no worse than 65:45... good DKs are scary as all hell. Also, they have good airspeed and huge ranged moves in the air (bair and a fast upair)... so aircamping them is pretty **** hard. Of course I'm not a *** and only grab about 4-6 times at most during a CG... they can still kill you at like freaking 70%

BMX

Smash Lord
I've played a good ICs and his name is Meep. This other guy, Bonk, has the CG down, too. The basis of this match IMO is damage and camp. On Smashville, this guerilla tactic works amazingly.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
I think most people just don't know how to approach the ICs matchup. What you really need to do is jump around and wait for them to desynch, and then **** the **** out of nana.

Bike into them if they like to side b off stage, use your wafts once a minute b/c it takes nana hours to shield, etc.

sirchadakiss18

Smash Journeyman
C-stick throwing the bike down messes up the IC's approach if they are close and it desyncs them too, Funny this is mentioned about Wario vs IC's lol yesterday I was fighting my friends IC's and his Lucario, I biked and tire spammed the whole match! lol! he didn't know what to do against the bike! lol!, reason being is the bike moves foward while bouncing when you smash down throw it, so against his Lucario he tried to approach from the air and jump over the Bike wall, he (he jumped over the second bike bounce) did but when he landed, GRAB!, but against his IC's it was a diffrent story, every time I Biked toward him he Blizzard, so I wheelied against that, sometimes the wheelie worked sometimes it didn't against the blizzard, but anywho, everytime he tried to grab me when I had my Bike in hand I C-stick down throw it, he kept falling for it, one time he got passed it by rolling towards me, but I stayed there waiting for him and just wafted lol, hope that helps :S

Ps: the Bike bounces four times, after the last bounce if you hit hit it will break, but if you ride it before it breaks you can refresh it, meaning that you can throw again and keep on refreshing the bike every bike throw, I just learned that, TRAINING MODE FTW!!

-once was a Wario mainer, now a Diddy mainer-

Top Bottom