• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Maybe it's just the internet, but it saddens me...

Ookami-kun

Smash Ace
...how people, even after many vids, say that Wolf is a clone.

I mean seriously, he's as clone as me to my sandwich. <_<

White_Lightning

Smash Journeyman
Just curious, are you by any chance Shadow_StarWolf on GameFaqs? Anyway, I know how you feel. Just remember though that most people who insist on continuing to call Wolf an exact clone of Fox and Falco are ignorant and shouldn't be taken seriously. Besides, there's plenty of intelligent people who understand just how unique Wolf is from Fox and Falco.

Ookami-kun

Smash Ace
Yup I am.

Granted most of them seem to be joke topics, but there are posters that really seem like uninformed or too lazy to look up vids of Wolf.

White_Lightning

Smash Journeyman
How did I know?

Look on the bright side, at least the number of these people has declined in the past two weeks. I remember when Wolf was first confirmed, everyone thought he was a clone.

Ookami-kun

Smash Ace
Yeah, so far I'm still seeing CLONES! people in IGN, Kotaku and even some other boards.

Darkslash

Smash Master
Hmm Ign thinks Lucario is a clone.

They think Wolf is a clone

They Think Falco has clone

Ign thinks loading times are crap

It seems they didn't play the game

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
I would call IGN stupid, but that would be redundant.

Just ignore those people because more than half the time trying to debate with them or show them otherwise just frustrates both parties.

Ookami-kun

Smash Ace
Yeah. They're one of those... stubborn people who go "LALALALAWOLFISACLONEICANTHEARYOU!" type.

White_Lightning

Smash Journeyman

In their exact words, they call the three Star Fox characters "three fraking Foxes". You would think that such a major website would at least use the spell-check button before posting articles. That wasn't even the only grammatical error in that article, I think I remember counting more than five. Not to mention the article itself was poorly written.

Junko

Smash Rookie
I agree, I've been watching the videos of Wolf and, while similar, I don't see how he is a clone...

Personally, I'm not going to let my mind be made up before even playing the game... for now it's just a lot of people passing judgment on him, and that's kind of sad.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
I don't see why it matters. It seems everyone here will play as Wolf regardless, so who cares?

I still call Wolf a clone of Fox. He has enough similarities, as well as the apparanet differences, plus even though his moves have different properties, he still used Fox's moves as a blueprint for his own moves designs. You guys may blitz me all you want for me saying these things. I don't care, just as much as I don't care if he's a clone. I like Wolf. Many people wanted Wolf and were **** lucky to get him in any fashion. I'm maining Wolf. You guys are, too.

So, let people say who's a clone and who isn't. It won't alter the facts and it won't alter your opinions.

Ookami-kun

Smash Ace
Might as well argue that all projectiles are clones because... they're all projectiles, but with different properties... LOLOLOL

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
I would never doubt that Wolf isn't 100% unique. I just get annoyed when people call Wolf an exact clone, or say he's too similar to Fox just because he shares two moves with Fox ( Excluding the FS ).
Seriously, is there ANY character whose 100% unique? Most characters have a projectile, A lot of characters have tether recovery, several have reflector-type things besides the star-fox reps, and every character on the roster uses a punching attack of some sort. OMG everyone is a clone of everyone! :rolleyes:

controlfreak7

Smash Ace
Let me start out by saying that clones to noobs are not the same as clones to advanced players. Wolf's b-moves are all similar enough to fox and falco's to be considered a clone by a noob. (because noobs think that only b-moves diversify characters since they are special moves). In addition he had the same final smash. What would most literal noobs do? Play with final smash and all items in general is their form of "the serious" way of playing the game. That is how they play the game.

Wolf's aerials are all different from fox and falco

wolf's dash attack, smashes, and tilts are also different

wolf's b-moves are the same in a way but their properties and looks are different. For example wolf's reflector looks different acts the same u can't cancel it in the air constantly like fox's (named the J-shine...), but its still similar to be 'cloned'. His u-b and side b look different, but have the same uses (recovering). And then there's the laser different properties (wolf hits with his pistol when he pulls it out and is generally slower), but similar concept.

Noobs take the concept and consider him a clone.

I call characters like these semi-clones. Another example of a semi-clone would be ganon and falcon. Now even in melee no character worked exactly like the other, but some had the same moveset as others and we called these characters clones. For example falco had the same exact moveset as fox, but the properties were different and we considered them clones. In brawl they changed this completely there are no 2 characters that have the entirely same moveset or even close to entirely the same.

Analyze fox and falco in brawl (excluding effects):
Same b-moves, but also different like falco's shine (1 difference)
Same dair and u-air different nair and bair(2 differences)
same d-tilt and i believe f-tilt, different u-tilts (1 difference)
different jab (1 difference)
different f-smash (1 difference)
Edit: same grabs i believe

I call this example a semi-clone because there is 6 differences in their general moveset. I consider any1 character with same b-moves also being semi-clones. But no entire clones exist in brawl.

nitro_rev

Smash Cadet
dude hate to brake it to you but falco is a clone, but he is different, just like wolf, he has the blaster, the rapid side special attack( it is angled up which makes it slighly more useless) a delayed directional up attack that can be controlled and a relector. to top it all off, guess what his final smash is...

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
Let me start out by saying that clones to noobs are not the same as clones to advanced players. Wolf's b-moves are all similar enough to fox and falco's to be considered a clone by a noob. (because noobs think that only b-moves diversify characters since they are special moves). In addition he had the same final smash. What would most literal noobs do? Play with final smash and all items in general is their form of "the serious" way of playing the game. That is how they play the game.

Wolf's aerials are all different from fox and falco

wolf's dash attack, smashes, and tilts are also different

wolf's b-moves are the same in a way but their properties and looks are different. For example wolf's reflector looks different acts the same u can't cancel it in the air constantly like fox's (named the J-shine...), but its still similar to be 'cloned'. His u-b and side b look different, but have the same uses (recovering). And then there's the laser different properties (wolf hits with his pistol when he pulls it out and is generally slower), but similar concept.

Noobs take the concept and consider him a clone.

I call characters like these semi-clones. Another example of a semi-clone would be ganon and falcon. Now even in melee no character worked exactly like the other, but some had the same moveset as others and we called these characters clones. For example falco had the same exact moveset as fox, but the properties were different and we considered them clones. In brawl they changed this completely there are no 2 characters that have the entirely same moveset or even close to entirely the same.

Analyze fox and falco in brawl (excluding effects):
Same b-moves, but also different like falco's shine (1 difference)
Same dair and u-air different nair and bair(2 differences)
same d-tilt and i believe f-tilt, different u-tilts (1 difference)
different jab (1 difference)
different f-smash (1 difference)
Edit: same grabs i believe

I call this example a semi-clone because there is 6 differences in their general moveset. I consider any1 character with same b-moves also being semi-clones. But no entire clones exist in brawl.
1st, let me just state that I've never come across a person online that has compared Wolf as a "complete clone" of Fox. No one I've encountered has ever meant that Wolf is a "complete clone" of Fox when they say "Wolf's a Fox clone". If he were, then he'd look like Fox, and shared Fox's design. In other words, if Wolf were a literal clone of Fox (as some of you are taking the term clone character that literally), Brawl would literally have 2 characters named Fox with no differences between them. Obviously, when people call someone a clone in SSB, they mean (and it should go without saying) that they have enough similarities (cosmetic or otherwise) to compare them immediatley to another character. The fact that Wolf's basic moveset design is (and this is a fact) taken from Fox's is enough to call him a clone. So what if his moves have different properties, he's still basing his moves from Fox. If I were to copy someone else's written screenplay, but changed 30% of the plot, while 70% of the screenplay was the same, its still plagerism.

Now, to address me bolding and underling the word "clone" in the quoted post whenever the term "semi-clone" was used...see the key word in that term "semi-clone"? The key word is CLONE. I don't see why people get so offended when a character is called a clone, but the term semi-clone is fine. Its like the N-word is taboo, but variations of the N-word is accepted. It makes no sense. So even if Wolf is a "semi-clone" and not a "clone", the point is he's still a variation of Fox. If people don't mind Wolf being tagged as a semi-clone, then people shouldn't care if Wolf is tagged as a clone-clone.

Ookami-kun

Smash Ace
We all know his B moves were inspired by Fox, but the thing is, they have different properties. It's like Ryu and Ken.

PanamaConMan

Smash Cadet
We all know his B moves were inspired by Fox, but the thing is, they have different properties. It's like Ryu and Ken.
Different properties can still bag him in as a clone, think dr. marios pills and marios fireballs.

On to the topic of Wolf's A button attacks, how many of them are similiar to Fox's(even if they have "different properties"?

White_Lightning

Smash Journeyman
Different properties can still bag him in as a clone, think dr. marios pills and marios fireballs.

On to the topic of Wolf's A button attacks, how many of them are similiar to Fox's(even if they have "different properties"?
Every attack that involves the A button is unique to Wolf. Not a single one of them is shared or even similar to Fox's.

As far as his B attacks go, I only his reflector and his side B to be cloned from Fox. His blaster is way too different from Fox and Falco's to be considered cloned. If you want to call his blaster cloned, then you might as well say that everyone who's B attack involves projectiles is a clone. As for his Up B, I consider more unique than cloned.

Zodiac

Smash Master

Ign usually arnt the type to be morons about a game but man, they're being completely stupid about brawl, I mean, real idiots.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
A bit off-topic, but if the videos I've seen of event battles, classic battles, and SSE are accurate, then IGN is right, the load times are crap.

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
Every attack that involves the A button is unique to Wolf. Not a single one of them is shared or even similar to Fox's.
QFT. I don't remember Fox's fighting style revolve around clawing his opponent to shreds.

And like I said in my previous post, nearly everyone shares something similar with other characters. Nearly everyone in melee had some sort of drill kick for an arial attack (and I doubt it's changed in Brawl). A lot of characters have punch-punch-kick for a standard A combo, most tilts are just a strong punch or kick, and sword users just swing their sword but at different speeds and strengths. I suppose Ike and Marth are clones too?

In fact, Wario and Meta-Knight have throws that are directly ripped from Mario and Kirby. OMG CLONES! Rob and Diddy both have specials that leave a throwable item. OMG CLONES! Bowser and Squirtle are both turtles. Guess squirtle's moves were all derived from Bowser huh?

BOTTOM LINE: Wolf has some shared specials with Fox, but every character shares something with at least one other character.

=Snake=

Smash Cadet
every character brings their own plate to the table. It doesnt matter if Wolf's plate LOOKS like Fox's or Falco's, its his own ****ing plate and he deserves respect. - . -*

dont listen to the internet.
there are no clones.

White_Lightning

Smash Journeyman
every character brings their own plate to the table. It doesnt matter if Wolf's plate LOOKS like Fox's or Falco's, its his own ****ing plate and he deserves respect. - . -*

dont listen to the internet.
there are no clones.
You're right, there are no clones. Just people desperate for reasons to complain.

Milln

Smash Champion
Anyone who says and wholly believes that Wolf is a clone of Fox or Falco has not been paying attention in the slightest.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5u0QEsrYC_8
Check that out and be enlightened. Look at the Fox and Falco Exposures, too, while you're at it, so you can see the differences between all three.

They're all space animals, they have similar B-moves. It ends there.

White_Lightning

Smash Journeyman
Anyone who says and wholly believes that Wolf is a clone of Fox or Falco has not been paying attention in the slightest.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5u0QEsrYC_8
Check that out and be enlightened. Look at the Fox and Falco Exposures, too, while you're at it, so you can see the differences between all three.

They're all space animals, they have similar B-moves. It ends there.
The sad truth is, even with all these videos, some people are still just too close-minded to accept the fact that Wolf is much closer to being a unique character than a Fox clone. Oh well, I guess they can be ignorant all they want.

Milln

Smash Champion
The sad truth is, even with all these videos, some people are still just too close-minded to accept the fact that Wolf is much closer to being a unique character than a Fox clone. Oh well, I guess they can be ignorant all they want.
Then that's their folly. They'll expect drillshine and get juggled for an hour from a throw. =\

Ookami-kun

Smash Ace
Hmm... so far I am seeing "rallies" from Krystal "supporters" doing stuff against Wolf.

But hey, it's probably just the stages of acceptance. Once the game comes we all know they'll fade away.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
For what it's worth...

I agree that Wolf has attacks that are different from Fox and Falco's, but he's still a StarFox character with moves taken strictly from Fox and Falco, with different effects added to make them 'unique'. I'm still not convinced that Wolf isn't a clone, but this topic isn't about my perception of him. Would you all be happier if he were referred to as a "variation" of Fox? "Variation" and "clone"...so interchangable, those words. Wolf could be a parody of Fox for all I care, I'm still going to play as him. You guys shouldn't let other people get to you.

How do you think I felt when people bashed Luacrio for being in the game? It wasn't going to end, so I got over it. "Luacrio's a waste of space." "Lucario's such a lame addition to Pokémon." "It's just a clone-character of Mewtwo." Point was, we got Lucario. I won. I shouldn't care, so long as Lucario was in.

Now, I'm starting to see what Ookami is seeing, that Wolf has enough differences to call him his own character. BUT he still has more than enough in common with Fox to not help but see him as a clone character to some obvious extent. It works for both sides of the fence. The "Wolf is a clone" side looks at the most apparent factors to Wolf; Sakurai originated Wolf's moveset around Fox's to begin with and made changes accordingly (just like he did with Falco), the fact that Wolf was always (before Super Smash Brothers) designed to be the "Anti-Fox", and of course the Landmaster FS didn't help. The "Wolf is unique" side point out that: Wolf's attacks that were copied from Fox are different enough to be used in newer ways, his A moves are nothing like Fox's, and just because Wolf is a StarFox character doesn't automatically means he's Fox 2.0. The best you can expect is one simple agreement: Wolf in SSBB is not orginal.

"Of course if that's the case, then none of the characters in Brawl are original." I find this response to be so anal. True somewhat, but very anal. Saying that "OMG! Samus and Lucario have chargable projectiles. CLONEZ!" to support your argument that Wolf isn't a clone isn't fair. Samus and Lucario's similarities end there, with their B move. That's really all ya got to work with. You can stretch more comparisons from Wolf, Falco, and Fox, than from Samus & Lucario, or Kirby & Jigglypuff, or Link and Ike and Marth, or Zero Suit Samus and Sheik.

Despite my disagreeing with you guys on Wolf's status as a clone or not, one thing's for sure and that's I'm a Wolf supporter. I just want to get this out of the way. I like Wolf. Hell, I may LOVE Wolf in a platonic, non-bestial way. But in MY opinion, I feel Wolf is a clone of Fox, and I can see why others do, too. Wolf being in the game should be enough to "unsadden" anyone who plans on playing as him.

Ookami-kun

Smash Ace
I acknowledge the fact that he's original. What I dislike is that they assume he's 100% carbon copy.

That and Krystal fanboys think Krystal is safe from being a clone.

Folt

Smash Ace
I think Wolf is a luigified version of Fox taken somewhat to the extreme, but that's just me.

Top Bottom