• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Maybe its a good idea to main more than one character?

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
I noticed when playing against people, that when you only use one character only for a long time, like my Kirby for example, you get really good with that character, but you still have some matches where you cannot win so easily.
I see maining different characters and have secondaries as a handful of cards. The more number of cards you have, the better ratio you have to winning against someone who has less cards than you. (I'm referring cards to characters for an illustration) If one card does not work out, you can use the other card to beat it, and you also need diversity, to cover up your bad matchups, you want to make sure you have an "Ace" in your deck of cards/characters.

Or is it just a better idea to pick up a really good character like Snake or MK? That would probably be the easiest route to go, but not the best. You need to have diversified characters, there are characters that counter Snake and MK, like in my experience DDD has a better chance against winning against Snake, and my Lucario has a better chance against winning against MK.
I say this cause brawl is like a game of options, the more options you have the better you will succeed, which is why I believe you can't just be good with one or two characters only vs 39 other characters on the brawl roster.

I'd like to hear which route you people are taking, just getting good with only one or two characters, or getting good with more than that?

Inui

Banned via Warnings
Because of how unbalanced so many match-ups are, I don't think anyone should main a single character. Even Mew2King switches to Dedede sometimes against characters like Snake and Wario and he's the best Meta Knight.

I use Snake and Meta Knight because I hate Meta Knight dittos and I feel more comfortable with Snake a lot because of his massive weight and ability to just camp massively when I'm unsure about a match-up.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
I say this cause brawl is like a game of options, the more options you have the better you will succeed, which is why I believe you can't just be good with one or two characters only vs 39 other characters on the brawl roster.
Most of this argument is almost exactly like an argument in SMYN 41...

But yeah, Brawl is a game of options, and the more options you have, the better chance you have at winning.

(In the podcast it was about how MetaKnight has those options, and that's why he's good)

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
Yes, but if you go all MK at the tournament, you won't always do well, so doesn't that mean MK has bad match ups. I say yes. Every character has bad match ups. It would also be good to be good at a character not many people know how to fight against.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
IMO, MK/DDD is an unstoppable combination. I've been really working my MK just to use it.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
MK isn't the worst match-up for every character and he loses to Snake and sucks on Halberd and FD, so obviously going all MK isn't that good of an idea.

MK/DDD is probably the best combination to main.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
im not so sure, MKs snaking is pretty beastly on halberd

also i thought of this a while back, and tried to learn enough characters that i would always be able to CP to gie somebody a bad matchup. as a matter of fact the last tourney i went to intentionally tried to get listed in the results for as many characters as possible.

but after the tourney, a friend of mine said that the fact that i was playing so many characters and so many different styles was hurting me because i couldnt play to my max potetial with any of the characters that i used.

so you have ot be careful that you dont have too many cards in your hand...

im actually thinking of going all sonic at my next tourney just because inui keeps talking about how good malcom and blue are and how they dont seem to be doing too badly against MKs

but inui is right. MK>everyone and D3>snake,
herrgo,
MK/D3=wyn

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I'd use multiple characters, but I'm too **** stubborn.

Also, I feel that my other characters usually aren't up to par with my main. The closest thing to a secondary I have is Ness since I've used him since 64 and know him inside and out.

But yeah, being able to rely on another character just as well as your main can be very helpfull, so it doesn't hurt. I mean look at Hylian. He uses MK, Falco, Samus, IC's, and GaW. He's a beast with all of them.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
IMO, MK/DDD is an unstoppable combination. I've been really working my MK just to use it.
This.

---

In my personal opinion, just go MK. You have NO bad matchup, or level.

However, for those naysayers who think MK has ANY kind of disadvantage against some character *coughsnake?cough*, then secondary the character that trumps those.

In most cases, MK/DDD

kirbz

Smash Apprentice
I used to be 100% Kirby until weight/projectile issues got in the way. Now I also use CF, Snake, and MK.
(I'm still 99.9999992% Kirby. ^_^ )

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
This.

---

In my personal opinion, just go MK. You have NO bad matchup, or level.

However, for those naysayers who think MK has ANY kind of disadvantage against some character *coughsnake?cough*, then secondary the character that trumps those.

In most cases, MK/DDD
MK may have no bad matchups, but if you're fighting a DK, having a 90:10 matchup by picking Dedede is a better idea than a 60:40 matchup by picking MK. xD

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Maining other characters is by far the best way of covering a character's poor matchups. I main Falco, so I fare well against most of the top/high tiers, but I trained up with Marth solely for G&W, which is usually certain death. I could use MK, but I don't feel comfortable using him (amazing I know). Picking up a lot of mains doesn't seem like a great idea though, as I suppose it's no good being a jack of all trades and a master of none. 2-3 characters should cover the whole cast comfortably.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
MK may have no bad matchups, but if you're fighting a DK, having a 90:10 matchup by picking Dedede is a better idea than a 60:40 matchup by picking MK. xD
Oh yeah, definately, I'm not arguing at all.

Dedede would definately be the safer pick of the two.
Then again, you wouldn't even need to secondary Dedede to pick him vs. DK. Anyone good enough can infinite the poor monkeh with Dedede.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
You need at least one character who you feel comfortable with playing in every matchup. Not has the advantage against everyone, or no disadvantages at all, but someone you feel comfortable with in a double blind pick. If your opponent randomly decided to change mains, or you never played them, you need to feel comfortable in your ability to take on any character that they might pick, and then if you have secondaries, to switch to have a bigger advantage if you lose.

Other than that, have fun. :)

LuigiKing

Smash Lord
If I had fun playing characters that aren't named 'Luigi', I would have a much better secondary (MK) and would probably win a lot more than I do now. I would still rather enjoy the game to its maximum potential than pick up a secondary anyway though.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
I use MK/DDD the opposite from an MK main. I main DDD and my bad matchups are a bunch of random fast characters, so I use MK to beat them. No problems with heavies and Snake, but if I need to really cover myself I go MK.

Mr.Fakeman

Smash Journeyman
The common problem is (maybe not for everyone) that when I play another character, I get bad at my main because I was so used to the game mechanics and attibutes of the character I just played. This is probably a different result for everybody...

Jorgeme

Smash Cadet
I can always spot a noob when they say they have like 8 mains. Most pro seems to only play as one or two characters. And in my personal experience its been very difficult trying to pick up a secondary and get my skills with it equal to that of my main. Having too many playing styles can mess with a persons skill

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I can always spot a noob when they say they have like 8 mains. Most pro seems to only play as one or two characters. And in my personal experience its been very difficult trying to pick up a secondary and get my skills with it equal to that of my main. Having too many playing styles can mess with a persons skill
Actually, they're not noobs just because they use more than one character, most pros do. Maybe not 8, but not just solely one character. Back in Melee it was more common to see people main one character, but Brawl is a different game. In that SBR MK Debate, they even said that having 3-4 character "mains" could become the norm because of the system of counterpicking. Most people with higher skill CAN use more than one character efficiently.

Mith_

Smash Champion
The common problem is (maybe not for everyone) that when I play another character, I get bad at my main because I was so used to the game mechanics and attibutes of the character I just played. This is probably a different result for everybody...
Same here.

I've been playing a lot of people other than Falco, DK, and D3 lately and I've been sucking with them whenever i select them.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
ninjalink says hi

p.s. as an alternative to MK/D3. if you are better than the other guy at dittos you can go:

MK/Snake

cause
MK>everyone
but only if
your snake>their snake

RPGsFTW

Smash Ace
I think that there is a big problem with maining MK/Dedede. I say this because maining MK/Dedede prevents any weakness, therefore other players will have to get over their disadvantage against by maining MK/Dedede as well. This will leave battles with little variety and fun :(

=ArtH=

Smash Apprentice
This shouldn't be a thread, or there should have only been 1 response...

Dxt XXII

Smash Journeyman
I second marth since he covers all of lucas' **** matchups (G&W, Marth, MK, and DK), and also use D3 and Fox. I use MK, but not seriously. It just doesnt feel right lol.It's necessary to use many characters, especially if you use a low tier.

JST

Smash Apprentice
I main both Falco and D3. I can't stick with just one character because if I grow too comfortable with one character, I start to lose that 'edge' I have when I play other people. I need to be somewhat 'fresh' and uncomfortable to do good. I don't really have a real secondary though. I play MK sometimes for when the **** really hits the fan (Ice Climbers), but it's hard, because at this point in the game everyone I play is good at fighting MK.

Skyflyer

Smash Journeyman
I don't have to use anyone else. I'm MK. MK's worst matchups are 50/50. I can stick to him and get good fast as fvck. Due to not worrying about anyone else.

Kappie

Smash Apprentice
I play a really good Lucario (at least where I am) and all the other characters are just for fun, like Ike, Peach and Ganondorf. I've tried MK but I couldn't beat anyone good with it. Maining one character that doesn't have so many bad matchups (Lucario has none, only Marth, GW which are 60/40) you learn every matchup with Luca so good, that you'll probably have the advantage. (not everyone knows exactly how to deal with Lucario, and I know how to deal with em).

Of course I do understand that with characters like DK, Ness, or anyone else who has really bad matchups, you will need to switch, but that character will probably be one of the characters with few bad matchup.

So I think you either play a character with few bad matchups, or a low tier character and a character with few bad matchups.

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
I don't have to use anyone else. I'm MK. MK's worst matchups are 50/50. I can stick to him and get good fast as fvck. Due to not worrying about anyone else.
I play a really good Lucario (at least where I am) and all the other characters are just for fun, like Ike, Peach and Ganondorf. I've tried MK but I couldn't beat anyone good with it. Maining one character that doesn't have so many bad matchups (Lucario has none, only Marth, GW which are 60/40) you learn every matchup with Luca so good, that you'll probably have the advantage. (not everyone knows exactly how to deal with Lucario, and I know how to deal with em).

Of course I do understand that with characters like DK, Ness, or anyone else who has really bad matchups, you will need to switch, but that character will probably be one of the characters with few bad matchup.

So I think you either play a character with few bad matchups, or a low tier character and a character with few bad matchups.
Every character has a disadvantage, MK too. Skyflyer thats just stupid on how you think. MewtwoKing is like the best MK, but even he doesnt go all MK, he uses DDD too. MewtwoKing even said MK has bad matchups. Seriously, I do a face palm every time someone says MK has no bad match ups.

Dokutayuu

Smash Apprentice
I think it's good to be familiar with another character. Even if it is just to counter MK.

I normally play TL but I will swap if I need to.

B0mbe1c

Smash Lord
Yes, secodaries are chosen to help you with bad match-ups.
If you only go one character, somewill find a bad match-up for you, and probably whoop you.

XxBlackxX

Smash Ace
Every character has a disadvantage, MK too. Skyflyer thats just stupid on how you think. MewtwoKing is like the best MK, but even he doesnt go all MK, he uses DDD too. MewtwoKing even said MK has bad matchups. Seriously, I do a face palm every time someone says MK has no bad match ups.
who are his bad matchups then? stop just namedropping M2K and give your opinions. Maybe he doesn't go all MK because he doesn't like facing a certain character with MK. BUT, that DOESNT mean it's a bad matchup. it could just be because he finds a certain matchup boring, or that D3 is better against some characters. but seriously, no, MK has no bad matchups. It's even for snake, 55:45, at best, which is still considered neutral.

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
who are his bad matchups then? stop just namedropping M2K and give your opinions. Maybe he doesn't go all MK because he doesn't like facing a certain character with MK. BUT, that DOESNT mean it's a bad matchup. it could just be because he finds a certain matchup boring, or that D3 is better against some characters. but seriously, no, MK has no bad matchups. It's even for snake, 55:45, at best, which is still considered neutral.
I discussed my opinion many times on what counters MK, I won't go into detail because I know people aren't going to listen to me, there's some threads about it on the Metaknight boards, I suggest you look there. From my own experience, I feel like my Lucario can handle MK's more than all the other characters I use, and my Lucario can take out the best Meta Knights players online. Therefore, I consider Lucario to be an MK counter, and I'm just not taking a guess, I know from experience with fighting different MK's, plus I use MK myself, so I know alot about the MK match up.

PhoenixoKaZe

Smash Ace
NNID
Toffykun
I`m not a noob, and I main alot of charcters lol, I practice alot of charcters ^^ XD, and u said that mess up ur skill. Plz take that discussion to ninjalink plz? XD ^^

Top Bottom