• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Matchup Rediscussion: Zelda vs MK

MRTW113

Smash Journeyman
Link doesn't get metaraped? o_0
I thought MK can gimp Link like no tomorrow and doesn't have big problems with projectiles...unless you use some great bomb tricks

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
MK gets ***** by projectiles. Being his sword has transcendent priority, he cant stop ANY PROJECTILE, not even samus' missiles. but yea, link does alright IF he doesnt get gimped....like snake. Except its harder to gimp snake.

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
I'd imagine he can stop Din's though? Or can't he?

I'm going to be paraphrasing many quotes in this thread very strictly to come up with a really accurate summary of what has been discussed so far =D

Darkmusician

Smash Master
His glide attack will clash with Din's if the MK spaces it properly. All of his other air moves don't. His Side B will also clash sometimes, but it's very easy to aim it behind him or above him for a hit.

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
I really didn't know this at all. It seriously makes me want to research into his transcendent priority some more.

MK being so fast, what's the best possible spacing for Din's? I'm guessing it's a very unsafe move in general in this matchup, but can you bait an aerial and stutter step it back to some effect?

sniperworm

Smash Ace
I really didn't know this at all. It seriously makes me want to research into his transcendent priority some more.
There's not a whole lot to it. MK's regular attacks have transcendant priority (aka they clash with nothing). MK's dash attack (no sword), glide attack, and B moves don't have transcendant priority.

Darkmusician

Smash Master

MK being so fast, what's the best possible spacing for Din's? I'm guessing it's a very unsafe move in general in this matchup, but can you bait an aerial and stutter step it back to some effect?
You can't really bait MK into much because of his multiple jumps, the speed of his arials and how his dair just covers him so well. Even if MK is on the opposite side, one Din's Fire and he's in your face already. Even if you do trick him once high level MKs will adapt quickly and won't get tricked more than once or twice.

I have some mindgames for MK with Dins but I'll include in the guide you asked me to work on.

MrEh

Smash Hero
It's MK, so don't think about it too much.

If you want to win, then use something else. It's that simple.

sniperworm

Smash Ace
Din's Fire is pretty useless against MK once he realizes that he can neutral B right through it (except at extremely long range, but he can easily air dodge it in that case).

Din's is useful for stopping MK's gliding back to the stage, but other than that it honestly doesn't do much (but I use it anyway because that's how I roll, lol).

Elder Sister

Smash Lord
i must say im not that bad with zelda, but still my 13 year old cousin could beat me with mk
the fact of a fast attacking and FLYING mk can led up to a match in which zelda doesnt even touch the ground and dies after a line of air attacks

embarrasing to admit but true ;P
if i fight against mk i uns my secondaries
sorry zelda

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
Just very quickly... aside from neutrals and focusing on some of the more quirky stages, what are some decent stages to fight him on?

Is halberd potentially good? I was thinking about the low ceiling...

Edit:: actually mention some neutrals as well! But they probably don't help or hinder her anymore already.

MrEh

Smash Hero
There is no stage that hinders MK. He does better then Zelda on every counterpick.

Just stick with DM's advice. Take him to your favorite neutral and hope for the best. FD is probably your best bet, since Zelda will get destroyed if platforms are around.

sniperworm

Smash Ace
Just very quickly... aside from neutrals and focusing on some of the more quirky stages, what are some decent stages to fight him on?

Is halberd potentially good? I was thinking about the low ceiling...

Edit:: actually mention some neutrals as well! But they probably don't help or hinder her anymore already.
Halberd seems like a bad idea. The initial part of the stage is irrelevant because it only lasts for 10 seconds or something like that. The second part of the stage is really bad for Zelda. The permeable platform means that sweetspotting the edge is almost impossible and it's fairly easy to kill yourself because you didn't make it all the way through the platform (when you're teleporting in a non-downward direction). The main platform also allows Metaknight to shark Zelda from underneath, which Zelda really has no answer for. The part of the stage with the hazards (the part where you're actually on the Halberd) is okay. Just be careful because it's easier for MK to force you into the hazards then the other way around. The vertical blast zone is low throughout the whole stage, but it doesn't really make up for the fact that you'll be getting destroyed on that second part.

Obviously Delfino Plaza and Rainbow Cruise are off limits, I shouldn't have to explain this. I'll probably look at more stages later.

If I, personally, had to use Zelda against MK, I would take him to Luigi's Mansion if they let me. That's just me though, I wouldn't suggest it for most people.

Darkmusician

Smash Master
Halberd is usually a Meta Knight CP (especially if you're using Zelda). Low ceiling is nice but MK ability to camp the air is nicer. Also his recovery isn't hindered because he can shark under the stage and cause you're not snake there's no explosives to worry about.

MrEh

Smash Hero
If I, personally, had to use Zelda against MK, I would take him to Luigi's Mansion if they let me. That's just me though, I wouldn't suggest it for most people.
Too bad Mansion isn't legal in most places anymore. :(

We're all entitled to our crazy counterpicks. I like taking Dedede to FD. Why?

Mindgames. ^^

sniperworm

Smash Ace
I was looking at the summary in the OP (the useful information section in particular) and I'd like to point out that the tornado is another move that will usually beat out Din's.

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
Yep cool! I've added that in. What do you make of the OP btw? Is that style informative? I basically read every post here and took the best bits out.

sniperworm

Smash Ace
Yep cool! I've added that in. What do you make of the OP btw? Is that style informative? I basically read every post here and took the best bits out.
I dunno, it looks okay to me. I usually don't go to MU threads for information though (I just come up with my own strats and opinions), so I'm probably not the best judge.

MrEh

Smash Hero
I was looking at the summary in the OP (the useful information section in particular) and I'd like to point out that the tornado is another move that will usually beat out Din's.
That's not true! Sonic the Hedgedawg said that Din's beats the Nado!

YOU'RE A LIAR SNIPERWORM!!!! :(

sniperworm

Smash Ace

lol, Din's from any realistic distance will lose to the tornado (Din's will eat the tornado if it's at full power/near full power, but why would MK tornado from way out there?).

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725

does MK's Nado have funky priority? cause I could swear I've din's him out of it at closer distances before.

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
MK's tornado has varying priority at specific frame points. You can din's his tornado up close but it's very unrealistic. You also have to aim at the tornado's bottom.

MrEh

Smash Hero
Nado also comes out in like, 10 frames. There's not enough time to react to it with Din's. (which is a dumb idea to begin with)

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
MK's tornado has varying priority at specific frame points. You can din's his tornado up close but it's very unrealistic. You also have to aim at the tornado's bottom.
I was always hitting bottom... and it wasn't working every time... just often enough that the damage trades were clearly working out in my favour.

Still, it's better to try that than to eat a nado in the face without any resistance,

MrEh

Smash Hero
No. It's better to just shield the darn thing instead of trying something that works 1% of the time.

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
I would just shield and tilt it up to avoid it getting poked through.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
I would just shield and tilt it up to avoid it getting poked through.
yeah. that's what I do if din's isn't working... which it only does occasionally (works that is. More often it fails... but it's success rate is considerably higher than 1%).

Actually. if he's nado spamming, I normally go sheik and either vanish on him or needle him.

Microbe

Smash Rookie
I am with MrEh here. I cannot recall an instance where I had enough time to throw out a Din's to stop a Tornado. Shield and pray is my usual course of action against this move.

MrEh

Smash Hero
Trying to hit MK out of the Nado is absurd unless you have a surefire way to do it. If you do not, then don't risk it. You'll just look silly.

Shield it and move on.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Trying to hit MK out of the Nado is absurd unless you have a surefire way to do it. If you do not, then don't risk it. You'll just look silly.

Shield it and move on.
needles are pretty surefire as long as his vertical placement is within certain parameters.

vanish is more about prediction, but it can KO.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
MK's are used to tearing up everything in sight with the Tornado. DM knows how to usei t because... he knows Zelda. Most of them will leave the ground a bit. Usmash will completely scrap it, or otherwise just shield it. It doesn't really mean much in this match-up, relatively speaking.

Darkmusician

Smash Master
You can really tell if a MK knows how to approach Zelda with the nado because they won't be charging you with it from half stage.

I mostly use it for scooping up Zelda after she over extends. The nado is always a great option for MK but against Zelda it's safest to stay grounded and tilt/grab. Once she's at about 70-80 you can start using smashes more cause it'll be strong enough to knock her off the stage and you can start edge guarding.

Balet

Smash Rookie
I haven't had trouble with Meta Knight. One move that is especially helpful (that wasn't mentioned in the first post) is Nayru's love.

Top Bottom