• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Match-Up Discussion #6! Mr. Game and Watch

Gishnak

Smash Ace
He wasn't "falling" for it. He just couldn't do anything about it.

If you mean he doesn't approach Marth anymore, I guess that's a possibility. But I'm pretty sure Marth outspaces G&W most of the time, regardless if G&W chooses to approach Marth or not.

Marth's only really in trouble against G&W when he's trying to get back onto the stage, which applies to about all of his match ups anyway. :X

As a matter of fact, I was falling for it. My only Marth practice at the time was my roommate who didn't Up+B except for recovery purposes at the time.

I was doing my best to gauge how its range if I space my turtle well. during our match You have to space it practically perfectly to not get punished by the up+B...

Yeah, but Marth vs G&W is a real ***** for gdub. G dub has real trouble approaching and punishing, and landing smashes on a conservative marth is very difficult. Gdubs only hope is getting marth above him or off the stage.

**Havok**

Smash Lord
lawl ur avatar gishnak.

Yea grab release doesn't work buuuuut when g&w Up-B's you get put into the air with him. DS maybe? Up Air? Something HAS to work lol Prolonged Fair until you hit the same height when you are carried with him?

Up-tilt works because it stays out pretty long, timed correctly its an automatic tipper since it barely outranges key. And since its tipper at higher percentages it kills, i'll do my homework later and see what dmg it does kill at.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
GW can recover back to the floor fine after up-bing. You just don't play GW who use up-b correctly :).

If you grab release GW and go for the fair and he up-b's he should cancel the up-b so that he auto fast falls. I'm going to be hitting the ground not too much later then you are. Also, if you cancel it with bair it's very hard for marth to follow it up quickly at all. Especially in GW has platforms to toy with.

Gw doesn't have problems at all getting back down vs Marth :). Marth destroys him for other reasons lol.

3xSwords

Smash Lord
This is the only match up I know and Marth can destroy G&W while he tries to get back down but that will only happen occasionally and most of the time G&W will be safe.

How does G&W perfectly spacing his bair affect Marth? It becomes extremely difficult for Marth to punish and G&W gains back his ability to shield pressure. This is what keeps the matchup at 60:40 for me personally.

feardragon64

Smash Champion
^Even still, it's not just a matter of G&W's ability to be able to perfectly space. It's also about marth letting G&W get to that exact spacing. At the point where G&W is always at the absolute reach with his bair, Marth can take take a few steps back and out of the way, then ftilt. If G&W is still bair'ing and DI'ing toward you, shield because he won't always be able to predict where that exact spacing will be.

Then there's the whole option of just countering =b I think pierce said it before but counter can **** some of G&W's move-set pretty hard.

C.J.

Smash Master
Final D and pretty much any other starter/"neutral" stage. They tend to be his worse stages while CPs tend to be his better stages.

overgamer

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5026-4413-8581
Final D is still better for G&W, you still forget he has (even if it's random or not reliable) projectiles which can somehow force you to come near him. BF mess nearly all his Bacons, so you get less pressure.

Anyway, Marth ***** most of G&W options, so just pick a stage different than FD.

MintyFlesh

Smash Ace
No LOL marth ***** gaw on fd

the platforms help him land, on fd his approaches are limited

if you're approaching gaw, well... don't. marth ***** gaw because he shuts down all of his approaches

xxmoosexx

Smash Lord
I'd like to point out that if you are shielding GW's Bair there is a short amount of time where there is a gap between hits. Near the end, I think it's actually as he is hitting the ground or right before it, you have enough time to grab, whatever. I don't know exactly what you can do in this "open" time during the move, I just wanted you guys to know about it in case y'all wanted to abuse it.

WeretigerX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PentSage
Marth can shark the hell out of Gaw on BF. His Dair falls to Marth's Usmash and the rest of GaW's aerials won't go below him.

9-BiT

Smash Cadet
try and keep him off the stage, your smash attacks will barely work 'cause of bucket braking, keep the pressure on, and gimp if possible.

Top Bottom