• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Match-Up Chart (Outdated); please refer to the new chart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merkuri

Smash Lord
kick -> kick -> kick -> grab-edge -> win -> release mix-tape
All she should end up kicking are bombs and boomerangs. I just don't see how Zelda with her crappy mobility can deal with it. It's like Link vs Bowser. Skler had a really good write up on why Bowser's mobility limits him from doing anything.

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
Zelda beats Mewtwo on the most fundamental levels. All of the situations that the m2 side brings up are situational outplaying bull****. Things aren't definitive in text whatsoever, specific situations that arise are NOT evidence. I want to see any M2 even Taj put their money on it at RoM 3.

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
im amazed you still have the balls to post. we all know you are virus blue mage.

we also know you can't read good. ive addresses every single point that you have made.

its like im psychic, ive addressed the points you just made already.

you fail to listen to reason. I should beat yo *** for being so dumb.

But for real, I play Zelda, I've read the arguments. You're right when you say there's nothing more to say on Zelda/Mewtwo, but that being said I agree with the Zelda side, since you're obviously explaining the Mewtwo side wrong since nothing you've said has convinced me, or any one else, that Mewtwo > Zelda.

And don't call me VBM, low blow, bro.

rhan

Smash Hero
kick -> kick -> kick -> grab-edge -> win -> release mix-tape
How on Earth will you be that close to him ever?

All she should end up kicking are bombs and boomerangs. I just don't see how Zelda with her crappy mobility can deal with it. It's like Link vs Bowser. Skler had a really good write up on why Bowser's mobility limits him from doing anything.
^^ *Co-Signs*

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One

But for real, I play Zelda, I've read the arguments. You're right when you say there's nothing more to say on Zelda/Mewtwo, but that being said I agree with the Zelda side, since you're obviously explaining the Mewtwo side wrong since nothing you've said has convinced me, or any one else, that Mewtwo > Zelda.

that wasn't for you. merkuri is virus blue mage.

im not ever speaking of this MU again. trolling aside its obvious the outcome. I don't have to convince you nor am I going to try.

Merkuri

Smash Lord

He is speaking to me. Kyu Puff has convinced a few people that I'm vbm. Or at least a few people simply like to bring it up when they argue with me.

My stance on the match up reamins Zelda = Mewtwo. But there isn't too much conviction behind that, since if Taj said Mewtwo wins it I'd believe him. I'd really like to hear Cosmo speak on the match up.

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
you guys are *******s.

dark hart, if you're just trolling, get off the boards. someone should warn and/or ban you for deliberately trolling and admitting it.

kaostar/merkuri, take it somewhere else. this thread sometimes has good discussion and you're doing nothing except annoying everyone and preventing discussion of anyone else.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
I didn't convince anyone, it's pretty obvious...

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=272690

Ask anyone who went to this tournament and they'll tell you virusbluemage won. : )

But umm, does anyone want to discuss/disagree with these?

ICs 45:55 Fox
ICs 50:50 Falco
ICs 45:55 Jiggs
ICs 60:40 Sheik
ICs 40:60 Marth
ICs 55:45 Falcon
ICs 30:70 Peach
ICs 35:65 Ganon
I'm curious as to why you think ICs-Falcon is 55:45. IMO it's 50:50.

I can understand ICs 35:65 Ganon. Would you say ICs 35:65 Samus as well?

I feel like ICs go even with Jiggs. She can't even plank you effectively because of ice blocks.

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
I promise I'll stop trolling in this thread and only contribute from now on. I might have a few jokes like the rest of you but I'll be chill. I didn't realize that I was bothering so many people. KAO just called me a troll and I just went with it.

john!

Smash Hero
how in the world is ic's-puff even close? i like to think i have a decent ic's, but yesterday i got wrecked by our local puff. then i switch to peach and we go roughly even. what do ic's have on puff... other than a kill at 70 or so if they manage to get a grab, with both alive and synced? i'm genuinely curious because it's possible i just don't know the matchup.

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
Good IC's have the best execution off grabs, leading to death at much earlier percents than regular IC players. just watch chu dat v mango or some ****like that even from recent or back at rom 1

kpm91

Smash Cadet
I'm also curious as to why you think ICs-Falcon is in ICs favour. I've always seen it as an even match-up or even in favour of falcon by a little bit. I can't really see either of these characters consistently beating one another; it's usually a back and forth affair in my experience and from what I've seen.

TemPesT-

Smash Lord
I've always seen it in favor of falcon, but only slightly. There was a recent tourney of TomR absolutely ****** Trails who is a pretty decent IC's. probably one of the best midwests? i mean he was like 2 stocking him, maybe even a 3 stock iirc.

BigWenz

Smash Ace
I'm curious as to why you think ICs-Falcon is 55:45. IMO it's 50:50.

I can understand ICs 35:65 Ganon. Would you say ICs 35:65 Samus as well?

I feel like ICs go even with Jiggs. She can't even plank you effectively because of ice blocks.
i was under the impression that falcon beats ics if only barely cause the knee seperates nana and popo very nicely and that all ics match ups kinda depend on how easy it is to get a grab and consistently 0 death from said grab (when nana and popo are together) that isnt to say grab to death is their only method of killing but it seems to be the most reliable and after watching apex2 this furthers my belief in such theory since the most reliable way of killing is from grabs and grabbing falcon is kinda hard do to his fantastic mobility however since falcon lacks a projectile he has to come at u eventually so i figure u get ur grabs off some missed tech or some poor spacing

tl;dr ics kill off grabs and cause of falcons speed only way ur gonna grab him is if da falcon fcks up his spacing or misses some tech which since no ones perfect is bound to happen eventually

as for puff it seems pretty even when u look at mango vs chu from pound 4 imo mango only one the set cause he countered picked brinstar which is arguably ics worse stage but mangos puff isnt a bair spamming machine like hboxs so besides planking do ics have counters to bair spam i.e playing like hbox

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
tml is the troll, he called me out for a money match and then bailed on every tournament since then. :p

ICs 55:45 Falcon

People need to get over knee and raptor boost spam. They have plenty of answers to unintelligent raptor boosts, like hitting him, or shielding and then hitting him. The reward is really high if you manage to read a roll into raptor boost or something, but the move isn't as safe or easy to land as people from 2006 seem to think. Knee is really good, but ICs have answers to that too. They can shield -> buffer roll, which usually resets to neutral position, or just avoid getting hit by it in the first place.

I just think an aggressive Falcon will have a really hard time landing good knees and stomps and raptor boosts more often than he gets grabbed or combo'd to death. Platform camping Falcon is a little better, since he can reduce the match-up to whoever plays smarter and lands the first hit, but it only works on two or three stages so ICs still win this match-up.
I'm willing to discuss the match-up, but last time the counterargument never amounted to more than misconceptions about knee/raptor boost and vague references to Azen vs Chu. I'll add more later if you want to talk about it; I'm really not trying to troll the match-up or come off as radical.

Chival: The Samus match-up has always felt pretty difficult to me, but I don't really have enough experience in it to comment. Wobbles and Fly seem to have some success against Samus and I think their general consensus was that it's only a slight disadvantage; maybe we can get one of them here to talk about it.

BigWenz

Smash Ace
tml is the troll, he called me out for a money match and then bailed on every tournament since then. :p

I'm willing to discuss the match-up, but last time the counterargument never amounted to more than misconceptions about knee/raptor boost and vague references to Azen vs Chu. I'll add more later if you want to talk about it; I'm really not trying to troll the match-up or come off as radical.

Chival: The Samus match-up has always felt pretty difficult to me, but I don't really have enough experience in it to comment. Wobbles and Fly seem to have some success against Samus and I think their general consensus was that it's only a slight disadvantage; maybe we can get one of them here to talk about it.

what are these misconceptions cause im pretty sure the knee seperates them well which is the point against ics as u dont wanna get grabbed with both of them still there although whoever said **** bout raptor boost man that move is so easy to see coming and with such shtty priority throwing out random raptor boosts only gets falcon grabbed which is what he doesnt want

Merkuri

Smash Lord
^ Um ICs can't shield grab Falcon's raptor boost, because they slide back too far and their grab range sucks.

BigWenz

Smash Ace
^ Um ICs can't shield grab Falcon's raptor boost, because they slide back too far and their grab range sucks.
well thats gay cause last time i played an ics i raptor boosted got grabbed and got ***** lol but if u just raptor boost cant they just wavedash back wavedash forward and grab cause raptor boost is really easily telegraphed for the most part

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
This, this, and this. I live 5 minutes away from and IC main in Raleigh, and he always said this. I play Falcon against his ICs a fair amount, and I can attest that this is true.
IC's *can* shieldgrab raptor boost, although there's either a specific timing (slightly delayed) or their shield needs worn down/smaller (so raptor boost ends a little closer to them). I've tested it with mixed results, although a couple of days ago it seemed like I could shieldgrab it every time regardless of shield size.

They have plenty of other options out of shield though. If he raptor boosts the back of IC's shield, they can b-air -> dash attack or tech chase (depending on DI and %), and if he raptor boosts the front they can n-air or wd oos -> jab/grab/d-smash. N-air doesn't lead into much, and wd oos doesn't exactly work framewise (Falcon can shield on the frame their jab would come out) but it generally puts ICs in a better position, and if Falcon tries to follow it up with another attack he eats a lot of damage.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
i was under the impression that falcon beats ics if only barely cause the knee seperates nana and popo very nicely and that all ics match ups kinda depend on how easy it is to get a grab and consistently 0 death from said grab (when nana and popo are together) that isnt to say grab to death is their only method of killing but it seems to be the most reliable and after watching apex2 this furthers my belief in such theory since the most reliable way of killing is from grabs and grabbing falcon is kinda hard do to his fantastic mobility however since falcon lacks a projectile he has to come at u eventually so i figure u get ur grabs off some missed tech or some poor spacing

tl;dr ics kill off grabs and cause of falcons speed only way ur gonna grab him is if da falcon fcks up his spacing or misses some tech which since no ones perfect is bound to happen eventually
ICs have deadly tech chases vs Falcon. They either get a grab or a d-smash, both of with tend to lead to death. At low percent a d-smash leads to further tech chasing and more grab/d-smash opportunities.

Jab -> grab ***** in this matchup, just like it ***** in all of ICs' matchups, pretty much.

Uairs to punish Falcon for jumping predictably put him in really awkward positions that can get him baired to set up for an edgeguard sometimes or even grabbed if he makes a poor decision about how he gets back to the ground.

Popo by himself actually has a grab game against Falcon. D-throw and b-throw tech chases, u-throw onto platforms or outright combos.

A lot of ICs' moves outprioritize Falcon's aerials. Their nair, bair, u-tilt, f-smash, up-smash, etc. beat his SHFFLs. Their uair beats his stomp.

I could go on ...

It's entirely possible to shield grab raptor boost. It just depends on factors that Kyu Puff mentioned.

Also, I just want to point out that raptor boost isn't this amazing move that you should be throwing out against ICs all the time. They can easily jab through it and grab; they can CC it -> grab; they can outright beat it with retreating fair, then grab; they can wavedash backward out of its range -> grab, etc.

TemPesT-

Smash Lord
if you angled your shields behind yourselves, would the raptor boost hit? otherwise it would ensure that he gets closer to you and should be easier to grab... right? or am i just dumb. :S

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
I think if you tilt away, shield DI pushes you further away, and if you tilt toward, you shield DI towards him but he ends further away. Shield angle didn't seem to make a difference when I tried it, though I might be wrong. Shield SDI would work but it would also be a lot harder and less consistent than timing the shieldgrab.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
with shield di you souls be able to get the raptor boost.

I don't know how well people are sdi these days.

maybe west coast will get good at it while east coast haas beast di

Cosmo!

nerf zelda's dsmash
why dont you just shield in place then slam the stick towards him when the raptor boost is hittin ur shield, then time the grab? seems like it should work pretty good

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
Yeah, so you're basing the matchup on whether or not you can SG raptor boosts, and your results are mixed... good job.
People brought it up randomly, and I disproved the notion that ICs can't punish raptor boost on shield. You're basing your argument on selective eyesight... good job.

ZoSo

Smash Champion
I'm not sure when people forgot this, but the whole point of Raptor Boost is that it totally ***** them if they WD a lot. The fact that it's often safe on block is a nice bonus.

Falcon has the mobility to play keepaway and all the tools he needs to fight them on the ground. Plus he probably ***** Nana harder than any other character. IMO, it's significantly (not heavily) in Falcon's favor, but it's certainly playable for ICs since they can punish so hard. Then again, I've always found it extremely easy to escape their CGs sans wobbling.

Also, I am totally baffled by this whole paragraph:

They have plenty of other options out of shield though ... if he raptor boosts the front they can n-air or wd oos -> jab/grab/d-smash. N-air doesn't lead into much, and wd oos doesn't exactly work framewise (Falcon can shield on the frame their jab would come out) but it generally puts ICs in a better position, and if Falcon tries to follow it up with another attack he eats a lot of damage.
So you start off saying they have plenty of options out of shield, then you go on to explain how they're all escapable or ineffective in some way...

Nair - "Doesn't lead into much" is being pretty generous. Can't imagine why you'd think this is a good idea.
Jab - You admit that CF can block even if you're frame perfect, so... what's your point exactly? How exactly does jabbing Falcon's shield put you in a better position? Even if we assume that their jab gives frame advantage against shields (I don't know if it does), this opens up a huge guessing game. If Falcon gets away, he's in control again. I want to emphasize that. Falcon controls the neutral position in this matchup.
Grab and dsmash - Both slower than jab, so I don't know why you consider these viable or interchangeable with jab.

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
The fact that it's often safe on block is a nice bonus.
Except for the part where they shieldgrab it... And I don't see how it ***** them if they wd a lot. Are they supposed to approach him with an empty wd or something? Typically it's wd -> attack/shield/retreat, and raptor boost loses to every single one of those options. Maybe if you highlight some specific instances where it's good I would understand you better.

Nair - "Doesn't lead into much" is being pretty generous. Can't imagine why you'd think this is a good idea.
Care to elaborate? I personally don't think it's a good idea because they have several better options, but it's still guaranteed damage from a shielded raptor boost. What makes it a bad idea, cc gentleman?

Grab is interchangeable with jab because in order to beat jab, Falcon has to hold L/R to shield, and if he shields he's vulnerable to grab. If he buffer rolls away he's vulnerable to jab. If he jabs, on a frame perfect level IC's jab will beat him, and even if the Falcon's timing is better than the IC's, they can cc -> grab/jab/d-smash. So at best, assuming both players have impeccable timing, Falcon can buffer a roll away some of the time.

I mentioned d-smash because although it's not ideal, most Falcons won't try to shield or buffer a roll after the raptor boost (evidenced by the the fact that nobody in this thread will acknowledge that it's unsafe); they'll follow it with another attack, or try to move somewhere, and d-smash beats these options (not to mention that it's guaranteed knockdown, whereas jab might sometimes not lead into anything because of weird sdi).

Falcon is pretty good at killing Nana, but he's a little slower than Fox, Ganon, and Peach, and it hinges on him landing a clean knee (or raptor boost/stomp/strong b-air to lead into it). Falcon also has a more difficult time with solo Popo, who can still cg him to death, rack up damage (u-tilt/b-air/dash attack/u-air are decent combo tools), and gimp him.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
I'm not sure when people forgot this, but the whole point of Raptor Boost is that it totally ***** them if they WD a lot. The fact that it's often safe on block is a nice bonus.
I just want to point out that ICs are only vulnerable for the first 14 frames of their wavedash. Falcon's ground raptor boost doesn't hit until frame 15. In other words, if you want to beat wavedashes with it, you're not going to be able to do it on reaction. You have to anticipate a wavedash. Even then, ICs can react to the startup frames of raptor boost. They don't even have to attack through it. All it takes on their part is a CC (leading to grab of course), turning around and shielding (followed by bair out of shield), or wavedashing out of range (and then punish for whiffing).

ZoSo

Smash Champion
Except for the part where they shieldgrab it... And I don't see how it ***** them if they wd a lot. Are they supposed to approach him with an empty wd or something? Typically it's wd -> attack/shield/retreat, and raptor boost loses to every single one of those options. Maybe if you highlight some specific instances where it's good I would understand you better.
This isn't a difficult concept to grasp. If you Raptor Boost and they WD, you will hit them. This allows you to threaten their main form of movement, as opposed to, for example, Marth, who can easily shield the Raptor Boost on reaction out of his dash and punish accordingly. This is all beside the point, because frankly Falcon doesn't need Raptor Boost to beat ICs, but it's not as easily countered as you make it out to be and it's FAR more safe than it is in any of Falcon's tougher matchups.

Care to elaborate? I personally don't think it's a good idea because they have several better options, but it's still guaranteed damage from a shielded raptor boost. What makes it a bad idea, cc gentleman?
CC anything? The fact that it's a horrible move and you should rarely use it if ever? Falcon uses his most laggy, unsafe move, and your best guaranteed punish is nair? Wow.

Grab is interchangeable with jab because in order to beat jab, Falcon has to hold L/R to shield, and if he shields he's vulnerable to grab. If he buffer rolls away he's vulnerable to jab.
If you hold down and buffer roll you can easily counter both of those options.

frame perfect level
Lol.

I mentioned d-smash because although it's not ideal, most Falcons won't try to shield or buffer a roll after the raptor boost
You really don't have the experience to make that statement with any kind of authority.

who can still cg him to death
I'll take your word for it, but in all my years I have yet to see anybody do this even once.

rack up damage (u-tilt/b-air/dash attack/u-air are decent combo tools), and gimp him.
If SoPo manages to land a hit, I'm sure he could do these things, but Falcon vs. SoPo is probably in the neighborhood of 90-10.

I just want to point out that ICs are only vulnerable for the first 14 frames of their wavedash. Falcon's ground raptor boost doesn't hit until frame 15. In other words, if you want to beat wavedashes with it, you're not going to be able to do it on reaction. You have to anticipate a wavedash. Even then, ICs can react to the startup frames of raptor boost. They don't even have to attack through it. All it takes on their part is a CC (leading to grab of course), turning around and shielding (followed by bair out of shield), or wavedashing out of range (and then punish for whiffing).
I agree that Raptor Boost can be countered and that it's probably not wise to guess often against really good ICs, but the threat is there. I was merely clarifying that Falcons use Raptor Boost against ICs because it can wreak havoc on their ground game. The fact that it's mostly safe on block certainly increases its utility, but it's not the main selling point. Again, Falcon doesn't need Raptor Boost to beat ICs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom