• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mass Effect series discussion

=--Paradox--=

Smash Rookie
Biotics cannot use rifles, period. They only have a pistol.
Actually, that is incorrect. Lets say you pick sentinel. (Biotic and Tech) I believe you can still use a pistol, but right after picking the sentinel, it says pick additional skill. Or something to that extent. And right under that the only skill to pick you can see is "Assault Rifles". So yes, you can use them. But the point of becoming that sort of Biotic and Tech master, is to use it. So I would agree, it does add strategy and etc. But in some cases, it does get annoying. Therefore, the new skill for Assault Rifles is very handy.

S

smash brawl player 99021

sorry if I'm changing any subjects, but would this game be worth buying? I'd like honesty too :p

=--Paradox--=

Smash Rookie
I would assume that your talking about the second. And so far, I would say try to rent it, or play it at a friends house or something. As far as i've seen they've changed alot, which can be for better or for worse. Just my opinion.

S

smash brawl player 99021

Yeah, I'm torn between this, Borderlands, and Bioshock 2 >_<

Brightside6382

Smash Lord
Borderlands is.... fun... but boring and dull at the same time. Doesnt really make a lot of sense. But I'd say of those games go Mass Effect.
It's not very fair to compare Borderlands because that is a very Diablo'ish type game.

As for the changes made to the sequal of ME I'm guessing they can only be good since the first one was mediocre anyways.

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
It's not very fair to compare Borderlands because that is a very Diablo'ish type game.

As for the changes made to the sequal of ME I'm guessing they can only be good since the first one was mediocre anyways.
Some people like the first one better.

Actually it's like the story from the first game was better.. ish. Everything else is pretty much better in the second one.

Planet probing > Mako, but both still had it's ups and downs I prefer one over the other in certain things.

I prefer the second game, wish the probing were better like I said, story really wasn't all that great, just that Bioware makes it feel epic is all. On my 3rd playthrough on Insanity on a Sentinel. Waiting for the 3rd installment and hope it's better than the 1st and 2nd combined. Bioware can take 2 years to do that, rather have a quality product than them cranking it out quickly. At that time I'll make a whole new Shepard and do a 1->2->3 in a row maybe.

GreenFox

Smash Ace
2010 is gonna be a really good year but I dont see anything being better than Mass Effect 2 If I do I will honestly be very surprised.

The whole pausing thing I didn't experience that because I played it on the PC the 360 doesn't allow you to assign hot keys to your biotics?

Brightside6382

Smash Lord
2010 is gonna be a really good year but I dont see anything being better than Mass Effect 2 If I do I will honestly be very surprised.

The whole pausing thing I didn't experience that because I played it on the PC the 360 doesn't allow you to assign hot keys to your biotics?
The 360 controller is a lot more limited so we were only allowed to assign 3 skills I think. Still though I didn't mind the pausing at all considering I've been doing it in every WRPG I've ever played

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
You can assign something to LB and RB and Y is bound to your unique class ability. Also you can assign Left and Right on the D-Pad to a squad member's skill.

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
I didn't mind the whole pausing thing, mainly because I play RE4 so much and pause to switch guns every five seconds.

Wrex

Smash Cadet
yeah i actually found the pausing to be useful, it allowed you to stop for a second and make some tactical decisions without getting merc'd in the process, which is pretty much needed at higher levels cause every enemy has at least some sort of protection and you need to chose your ammo type

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
so I just finished mass effect 1 yesterday and bought mass effect 2 today, haven't played it yet, and I looked up the dlc about cerberus network, should I buy it for 1200 microsoft points?(bought the game used).

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
so I just finished mass effect 1 yesterday and bought mass effect 2 today, haven't played it yet, and I looked up the dlc about cerberus network, should I buy it for 1200 microsoft points?(bought the game used).
IMO it depends on how much you got the game used for. I wouldn't get Cerberus network if the total cost is going to be more than what a new ME2 costs (about $30). IIRC, Cerberus network is about $15 so if you got the game for more than $15, I wouldn't bother since the core game is awesome enough to justify not getting Cerberus network.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
I'm sure the hype will come near it's release, I personally can't wait to try this game out, it will be the first game I play in the series.

:phone:

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
Bad move. The entire series is based around the fact that all your choices from the previous games affect how your game plays.

For example during the course of both games you have 16 teammates you gather and you can take them on missions with you. They'll converse during the missions too, they each have incredibly well writen backgrounds and personalities, but in the 3rd game, depending on your choices in the previous 2, you can have anything from 4 to 15 of them still alive. So like in one of the demos you saw Mordin, Legion and Garrus, but all 3 of them can be dead by the 3rd game if you got them killed in the 2nd game, meaning that scene you saw in the demo could be completely different for you. You can also create the way your Shepard looks and import him into the next game with all the choices you made from the previous 2 affecting various storylines.

You basically make your own story, but if you just pick up and play the 3rd one you'll be missing out on so much. If you've played the 2nd without playing the 1st it automatically chooses all the crappy choices for you, and you miss out on some content because of it. You can buy them 1st hand for incredibly cheaply, because EA oversee's Bioware you'll miss out on 2 extra characters and other great DLC in the 2nd game if you buy it 2nd hand.

So basically buy the 1st two and play them. It really is worth it. The gameplay in the first is dreadful but the story is amazing, and they completely fix the gameplay in the 2nd.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Well, actually I'm fortunate in that the PS3 users have that comic thing that deals with a lot of choices that you can make from the first one when you pick up ME2 for that, so we're thankfully not missing out as much there. Though I'd still with ME1 would ever come out on PS3.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
Xbox gets that too now, but I'm sure it can't be as good as playing the actual game. The universe is just so huge that they couldn't possibly get the same experience in a little comic, plus you wont get to have experiences with your crew.

Like Liara, she's probably my favourite character, it's a super close call between her and Legion, but she's not in your team in ME2. You do see her and get to talk with her and she does temporarily join you in the superb Shadow Broker DLC, but apart from that she's absent from the game.

Yet she's the only teammate guaranteed to be alive for ME3, and we know she's rejoining the team early on in ME3, but if you only play ME2 you'll miss out on all the experiences and history you can have with her in ME1. Heck she can even be a love interest in that game if you wish.

That's one reason I'd suggest buying the first game rather than using the comic. Plus you can get ME1 first hand for insanely cheap these days. Heck I managed to get the special 2 disc edition of it, and the second game, brand new, for £19 ($31).

Gates

Banned via Warnings
ok so I have a question about Liara in ME3 and how it related to the Shadow Broker DLC.

MASSIVE SPOILERS

So at the end of Lair of the Shadow Broker, Liara becomes the new Shadow Broker.

But in ME3 she's a party member.

So is LotSB non-canon now or something? If so, I'd be pretty pissed. If not, then whatever excuse they have for Liara being in the party is either going to be cheesy (love interest stuff) or hamfisted. I chose Tali as my love interest in ME2 and I honestly like her more than Liara, so I'll no doubt get the hamfisted reason for her joining the party, if she joins at all.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Xbox gets that too now, but I'm sure it can't be as good as playing the actual game. The universe is just so huge that they couldn't possibly get the same experience in a little comic, plus you wont get to have experiences with your crew.

Like Liara, she's probably my favourite character, it's a super close call between her and Legion, but she's not in your team in ME2. You do see her and get to talk with her and she does temporarily join you in the superb Shadow Broker DLC, but apart from that she's absent from the game.

Yet she's the only teammate guaranteed to be alive for ME3, and we know she's rejoining the team early on in ME3, but if you only play ME2 you'll miss out on all the experiences and history you can have with her in ME1. Heck she can even be a love interest in that game if you wish.

That's one reason I'd suggest buying the first game rather than using the comic. Plus you can get ME1 first hand for insanely cheap these days. Heck I managed to get the special 2 disc edition of it, and the second game, brand new, for £19 ($31).
Like I said, I'd gladly buy ME1 and play through it if it came out for PS3. Unfortunately, it's NOT out for PS3 and as a result (since I don't own a 360) I kind of well..can't.

Mr.Freeman

Smash Ace
ok so I have a question about Liara in ME3 and how it related to the Shadow Broker DLC.

MASSIVE SPOILERS

So at the end of Lair of the Shadow Broker, Liara becomes the new Shadow Broker.

So is LotSB non-canon now or something? If so, I'd be pretty pissed. If not, then whatever excuse they have for Liara being in the party is either going to be cheesy (love interest stuff) or hamfisted. I chose Tali as my love interest in ME2 and I honestly like her more than Liara, so I'll no doubt get the hamfisted reason for her joining the party, if she joins at all.
Yeah, its canon. Maybe someone's
filling in as Shadow Broker or something

So has anyone ****ed up on the suicide mission or anything? Like
everyone died? Everybody lived on my first playthrough

Man that was awesome.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Everyone lived on my playthrough of ME2 too. It would be interesting to see what effect the deaths would have had on ME3 though.

OmegaXXII

@ pluvia:

Well like limewire mentioned, I would get ME1 if I owned a 360 or the upcoming Kinect, but mostly play on my PS3, still, if ME2 came out (for PS3) then I would gladly get it, I totally agree with the fact of trying older titles, you can definetly find out it's pros and cons from what a 3rd successor would "throw out"

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
ME2 is on the PS3 now.

MASSIVE SPOILERS

Gates,
No one knows who the Shadow Broker is, and as we saw Liara do, that means anyone can become the Shadow Broker. Who would take over for her though? This guy that everyone keeps on forgetting about for some reason.

So there's a non-hamfisted way of getting her to join Shepard again. Bioware clearly knew that when they made the DLC.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Yeah, that could work. And well, ME2 being on PS3 is the only reason I got to play it and am into ME at all. Hell, when ME1 came out and everyone was talking about how good it was, I thought the series was all overrated by the time ME2 came out for 360. And yeah...I admit I was wrong. Of course, now it's at where I'm tempted to buy the cheapest 360 I can find solely to play ME1. Urg, what's wrong with me here?

OmegaXXII

Yeah, that could work. And well, ME2 being on PS3 is the only reason I got to play it and am into ME at all. Hell, when ME1 came out and everyone was talking about how good it was, I thought the series was all overrated by the time ME2 came out for 360. And yeah...I admit I was wrong. Of course, now it's at where I'm tempted to buy the cheapest 360 I can find solely to play ME1. Urg, what's wrong with me here?
^^ this

Exactly what I was thinking, just got ME2 for PS3 yesterday, whoo!! Not reading anything here.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
Did you get it new? If you did you can get Zaeed, another teammate, for free, and if you part with a really small amount of cash you can get Kasumi too.

2 really good full fledged teammates for about a fiver as long as it's new.

OmegaXXII

Yup, I got it new, is it like DLC content?

I'm having a hard time trying to to my class, I'm thinking of G. going with soldiers, but then again Infiltrators have stealth, vanguards seem very powerful close up which I like, well gonna have to build a good solid team.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Did you get it new? If you did you can get Zaeed, another teammate, for free, and if you part with a really small amount of cash you can get Kasumi too.

2 really good full fledged teammates for about a fiver as long as it's new.

Weird, I got my PS3 Mass Effect 2 the day after it came out and I got the whole Cerebrus thing, Shadow Broker, that...other DLC mission I forget the name of, Zaeed AND Kasumi with it.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
I'm on my, what, 6 or 7th playthrough of ME2 now. I have so much different scenarios created for ME3, need to make one where only 4 of my 16 teamates make it though.

Mr.Freeman

Smash Ace
I'm on my, what, 6 or 7th playthrough of ME2 now. I have so much different scenarios created for ME3, need to make one where only 4 of my 16 teamates make it though.

I teared up a little,
seeing everyone alive at the end, fixing up the ship and such after doing their sidequests and gaining their loyalty (and romancing Tali). Gotta work for that happy ending.

Bioware really can tug your hearstrings.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
I've gotta say, that Commander Shepard song is awesome and randomly hilarious. People are petitioning for that to be in Mass Effect 3 and for "Don't Fear the Reaper" to be the credits song. :bee:

Top Bottom