• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Masked Marauders - Skull Kid For Smash! Night of the Last Day.

What's your favourite transformation in Majora's Mask?

• Deku Link

• Goron Link

• Zora Link

Results are only viewable after voting.

MajoraMoon

Smash Apprentice
To be honest, initially I just interpreted Majora as whatever, but the Majora Opera sold me on the idea of Majora being female. Also I found out recently there was this ancient culture in Brazil that made masks, the culture was called the Marajora, and they saw the moon as being associated with the female gender so females were most present in their iconography. So yeah.:)
Actually, I am on the side of MM being based on African culture. Have you seen Gajin Goomba's Culture Shock videos? They are pretty sweet.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
I'm glad to see other people believing in Majora being a female entity. I've always liked the idea of her being a forgotten or cast-out goddess!

MajoraMoon

Smash Apprentice
I'm glad to see other people believing in Majora being a female entity. I've always liked the idea of her being a forgotten or cast-out goddess!
It would be interesting if Majora was a male though. All of the deities (besides the Fierce) are female. Just would make Majora even more unique.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
It would be interesting if Majora was a male though. All of the deities (besides the Fierce) are female. Just would make Majora even more unique.
It's up for interpretation, but I completely disagree with you. I love that most of the most powerful beings in Zelda are women. It sets the series apart from lots of others. Besides, nearly every final boss in Zelda history is male (everyone except Veran and Lady Maud, I believe), and I like the idea that this is one of our exceptions.

Beyond that, there's Zephos and Cyclos from Wind Waker, and you can definitely make an argument for all the various guardians of the realms: the Deku Tree, Jabu-Jabu, Valoo, Levias, the Wind Fish. Not to mention the Four Giants of Termina, who while never confirmed to be male or female, strike me more as male due to their voices.

If you want another male deity, I do like the idea that the Happy Mask Salesman is a weird, capricious god.

MajoraMoon

Smash Apprentice
It's up for interpretation, but I completely disagree with you. I love that most of the most powerful beings in Zelda are women. It sets the series apart from lots of others. Besides, nearly every final boss in Zelda history is male (everyone except Veran and Lady Maud, I believe), and I like the idea that this is one of our exceptions.

Beyond that, there's Zephos and Cyclos from Wind Waker, and you can definitely make an argument for all the various guardians of the realms: the Deku Tree, Jabu-Jabu, Valoo, Levias, the Wind Fish. Not to mention the Four Giants of Termina, who while never confirmed to be male or female, strike me more as male due to their voices.

If you want another male deity, I do like the idea that the Happy Mask Salesman is a weird, capricious god.
Very good points. You have earned my respect.

ActualGarbage

Smash Ace
So, since Skull Kid is hot in my mind and Majora's Mask's 18th birthday is coming up and since I've never beaten it I thought it'd be a good idea to play through the thing. I have the game on the N64 and everything but since I'm a lazy prick and would rather die than use an N64 controller, I thought maybe I'd get the VC version on the Wii U. Plus I got a discount code so, that's a plus. BUT what do you think? Just by the Wii U version or suck it up and play N64?

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
So, since Skull Kid is hot in my mind and Majora's Mask's 18th birthday is coming up and since I've never beaten it I thought it'd be a good idea to play through the thing. I have the game on the N64 and everything but since I'm a lazy prick and would rather die than use an N64 controller, I thought maybe I'd get the VC version on the Wii U. Plus I got a discount code so, that's a plus. BUT what do you think? Just by the Wii U version or suck it up and play N64?
There's nothing wrong with the Virtual Console version! I would buy it there.

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
Huh? Link didn’t have a bow in 64.
That's what I said yeah. He doesn't have it because Sakurai didn't even know that your boomerang get's replaced by the bow as an adult in Ocarina of Time.

Sakurai probably doesn’t write trophy descriptions either, certainly not the English language ones.
He approves them though. Sakurai is a massive control freak after all, he probably reads every description and then gives it the ok. Unless the original Japanese descriptions are something completely different, then Sakurai has approved of flat out misinformation...twice...and contradictory misinformation at that lol.

As for the Ganon Canon quote, I fail to see how that’s proof of hatred?
That part is just ignorance, not anything pointing to actual hate.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
To be honest, initially I just interpreted Majora as whatever, but the Majora Opera sold me on the idea of Majora being female. Also I found out recently there was this ancient culture in Brazil that made masks, the culture was called the Marajora, and they saw the moon as being associated with the female gender so females were most present in their iconography. So yeah.:)

I don't think they have either, but it would be awesomely fitting to reveal Skull Kid this month. :) What with the creepiness and Halloween-ness.
That sounds interesting, I'll have to check it out.

Actually, I am on the side of MM being based on African culture. Have you seen Gajin Goomba's Culture Shock videos? They are pretty sweet.
I partly agree with that, but Woodfall Temple and Odolwa are based off of Mayan culture. Check Dr. Wily's video on that: https://youtu.be/ISf2_jyOVw0

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
That's what I said yeah. He doesn't have it because Sakurai didn't even know that your boomerang get's replaced by the bow as an adult in Ocarina of Time.

He approves them though. Sakurai is a massive control freak after all, he probably reads every description and then gives it the ok. Unless the original Japanese descriptions are something completely different, then Sakurai has approved of flat out misinformation...twice...and contradictory misinformation at that lol.

That part is just ignorance, not anything pointing to actual hate.
You do know that Ocarina of Time released two months before Smash 64? This was before the time when Sakurai got to look at other games now development.

I think Sakurai’s control freakishness doesn’t extend to revising trophy descriptions. It isnt efficient for him to have to go over every single aspect of the game.

And how is the Ganon Canon comment ignorance? There are many different Ganons, while they might all be reincarnations of Demise’s hatred they are still different individuals.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
You do know that Ocarina of Time released two months before Smash 64? This was before the time when Sakurai got to look at other games now development.

I think Sakurai’s control freakishness doesn’t extend to revising trophy descriptions. It isnt efficient for him to have to go over every single aspect of the game.

And how is the Ganon Canon comment ignorance? There are many different Ganons, while they might all be reincarnations of Demise’s hatred they are still different individuals.

Link and Zelda are reincarnations. Ganon is actually just 1 that gets sealed and freed over and over.

Unless you’re talking about things like TP vs WW which are 2 different timelines, but there’s no reincarnation there.

Ganon is resurrected in 2 games I believe, aside from that, he is just released from being sealed over and over.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Link and Zelda are reincarnations. Ganon is actually just 1 that gets sealed and freed over and over.

Unless you’re talking about things like TP vs WW which are 2 different timelines, but there’s no reincarnation there.

Ganon is resurrected in 2 games I believe, aside from that, he is just released from being sealed over and over.
Ah, I must have gotten resurrected and reincarnated mixed up.

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
I remember reading a quote from Sakurai on some article saying he never played far enough into OoT to have his boomerang replaced by the bow. Don't feel like digging for it but I'll just say it ended up being a good thing in the long run since the boomerang itself is a great projectile in Smash.

Either way it's still blatant misinformation on someone's part. You'd think a game about Nintendo stuff would actually get Nintendo stuff right lol.

Um...because there aren't many different Ganons? It's been the same guy the whole time. He doesn't reincarnate the way Link and Zelda do.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I can't be too unsatisfied with Zelda series this time around, Oot Ganondorf, Gorgeous Zelda, Young Link, every single Zelda stage back along with a new one. That amazing Moon assist trophy too. Even if Skull Kid isn't playable, it's an improvement over his assist trophy, (it's one of my fears, Skull Kid was replaced not because he's playable, but because his assist trophy was so lame)

I'm not going to cry foul if we don't get a new Zelda character, but it also doesn't change how much I want Skull Kid, My love for Majora's Mask and the character is unmatched.

NineS

Smash Lord
Well, it's officially October now. Hopefully we get another Smash Announcement pretty soon. Of course, I don't think they'll show as much characters as they did before in one go, but doesn't mean we won't find out other Non-character reveal info.

We probably don't have much longer to wait until another character is revealed. Hopes up for Skull kid! It'd be too fitting for him to be revealed in October, but I don't think Halloween is as important to Japan as it is to us.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
Speaking of female deities, I don't like how Hylia has completely replaced Din, Nayru and Farore. Was three too many to keep track of? Also, wasn't there some unspecified goddess of time mention in Majora's Mask?

Anyway, here's to something being announced in October. While I doubt we'll be getting a Skull Kid reveal, I hope we at least get some kind of direct soon: otherwise it's going to be a long month.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Well, it's officially October now. Hopefully we get another Smash Announcement pretty soon. Of course, I don't think they'll show as much characters as they did before in one go, but doesn't mean we won't find out other Non-character reveal info.

We probably don't have much longer to wait until another character is revealed. Hopes up for Skull kid! It'd be too fitting for him to be revealed in October, but I don't think Halloween is as important to Japan as it is to us.
If Vergeben is right again, I believe we will see Incineroar get announced this mouth on the Smash website or a Mini-Direct. They will probably save the other big characters like Skull Kid, Geno, Isaac, ect for the last Smash Direct that we will probably get in November.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Speaking of female deities, I don't like how Hylia has completely replaced Din, Nayru and Farore. Was three too many to keep track of? Also, wasn't there some unspecified goddess of time mention in Majora's Mask?

Anyway, here's to something being announced in October. While I doubt we'll be getting a Skull Kid reveal, I hope we at least get some kind of direct soon: otherwise it's going to be a long month.
The Goddess of Time is most likely Nayru. She created all the laws of the world, which probably includes little things like the flow of time. There's also the fact that both Nayru and time in the Zelda series are represented by the color blue.

Smash Apprentice
If Vergeben is right again, I believe we will see Incineroar get announced this mouth on the Smash website or a Mini-Direct. They will probably save the other big characters like Skull Kid, Geno, Isaac, ect for the last Smash Direct that we will probably get in November.
The final Smash characters have never been "big". Wolf/Toon Link/Jigglypuff were the last characters in Brawl, Duck Hunt and Bowser Jr. were the last Smash 4 characters at launch, Corrin was the last DLC.

Last edited:

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
The final Smash characters have never been "big". Wolf/Toon Link/Jigglypuff were the last characters in Brawl, Duck Hunt and Bowser Jr. were the last Smash 4 characters at launch, Corrin was the last DLC.
...Bayonetta.

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
You can thank Fujibayashi for that. He really loves his original character lmao

JoyStar

Smash Journeyman
Also I think I'm a Skull Kid-hype mode, the Disney movie Hercules was on yesterday, I started thinking of One Last Hope, and the end of Majora's Mask, and this parody was the result:

Enjoy!

You'll probably never hear me cover it as I don't seem to be able to pull off a convincing Skull Kid voice, but anyone else is free to if they'd like—or just enjoy the parody, lol

Last edited:

MajoraMoon

Smash Apprentice
The Goddess of Time is most likely Nayru. She created all the laws of the world, which probably includes little things like the flow of time. There's also the fact that both Nayru and time in the Zelda series are represented by the color blue.
Interesting Theory. I usually assume Nayru and Hylia are siblings or something. But, there are a few problems with your theory, Hylia was reincarnated as Zelda. Nayru just is Nayru in Oracle of Ages. Does that mean that Nayru split in half and reincarnated as one person and reincarnated as another? Also, it would be a bit unfair if one of the Goddesses represented two attributes, aka Time and Wisdom. In fact, the three goddesses entrusted Hylia with the Triforce. Plus, Hylia is technically represented by the color white.

JoyStar

Smash Journeyman
Interesting Theory. I usually assume Nayru and Hylia are siblings or something. But, there are a few problems with your theory, Hylia was reincarnated as Zelda. Nayru just is Nayru in Oracle of Ages. Does that mean that Nayru split in half and reincarnated as one person and reincarnated as another? Also, it would be a bit unfair if one of the Goddesses represented two attributes, aka Time and Wisdom. In fact, the three goddesses entrusted Hylia with the Triforce. Plus, Hylia is technically represented by the color white.
I really need to keep up more with the Zelda lore/timeline. XD

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Ultimate is a totally different case from the past games when it comes to choosing who get's in this time around. The newcomers for Ultimate have all been clearly, heavily requested characters people voted for in the Smash Ballot.

Last edited:

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
I never mentioned Hylia, so I'm not sure where you got that? I'm referring to the unnamed Goddess of Time that Tatl refers to in MM. But (a) the Oracles aren't literally the goddesses, and (b) I'm basing what I said on the creation myth from OoT. Din made the land, Farore made the creatures who would live on it, and Nayru made the laws they would follow. It's not unreasonable to assume that means the laws of nature, which would include things like physics and time.

Last edited:

JoyStar

Smash Journeyman
I never mentioned Hylia, so I'm not sure where you got that? I'm referring to the unnamed Goddess of Time that Tatl refers to in MM. But (a) the Oracles aren't literally the goddesses, and (b) I'm basing what I said on the creation myth from OoT. Din made the land, Farore made the creatures who would live on it, and Nayru made the laws they would follow. It's not unreasonable to assume that means the laws of nature, which would include things like physics and time.
I just had a thought—what if Majora is the unnamed Goddess of Time and was banished or something?

JoyStar

Smash Journeyman
Looks like it’ll l be great, I’m sure you know this already, but make sure the video isn’t copyrighted.
Luckily Starset seems to like fan vids so much they actually have a playlist on their YouTube channel of AMVs people have done with their songs, so hopefully it's all good!

The Event Mask

Smash Cadet
I can't be too unsatisfied with Zelda series this time around, Oot Ganondorf, Gorgeous Zelda, Young Link, every single Zelda stage back along with a new one. That amazing Moon assist trophy too. Even if Skull Kid isn't playable, it's an improvement over his assist trophy, (it's one of my fears, Skull Kid was replaced not because he's playable, but because his assist trophy was so lame)

I'm not going to cry foul if we don't get a new Zelda character, but it also doesn't change how much I want Skull Kid, My love for Majora's Mask and the character is unmatched.
I do think if Skull Kid isn't playable, he probably was just replaced by the moon. Some people assume that he has to be in the game, which there is no proof that he is in the game, but to be honest Sakurai might have thought since his assist trophy wasn't accurate to what he does in Majora's Mask, he might have been replaced by an assist trophy that is. SK assist trophy doesn't do anything he does in MM but the moon does. I've already said my thoughts on the idea of SK being a boss and how dumb the idea is, so I don't think he'll be a boss in Ultimate. Really SK is either in the game as a playable character or not in at all. Him not in the game at least gives him a chance to be DLC later on.

JoyStar

Smash Journeyman
Then... why would she be aiding Young Link to stop herself?
Good point—then again Majora does give you the Feirce Deity's Mask if you have all the masks by the end, and with that you can pretty much beat her in less than 2 minutes, so I kind of wonder about that too.

MajoraMoon

Smash Apprentice
Then... why would she be aiding Young Link to stop herself?
Simple, Majora wants to be freed from the prison that is the mask.
I just had a thought—what if Majora is the unnamed Goddess of Time and was banished or something?
Then Majora would be aware if Link does use the Ocarina of time. But Majora is subject to time as well.
Sorry, I thought Hylia was officially the Goddess of Time. But now that I look a bit more. I don't see anything that mentions Hylia as the Goddess of time XD.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
Good point—then again Majora does give you the Feirce Deity's Mask if you have all the masks by the end, and with that you can pretty much beat her in less than 2 minutes, so I kind of wonder about that too.
This make me believe that Majora is miserable and tricks you into putting it out of its misery.

JoyStar

Smash Journeyman
I actually just woke up from a dream where all the Legend of Zelda characters were starship Staff one million years in the future, Star Trek style. XD

Link was Captain, Zelda was 2nd in command, Ganondorf and Majora were alien rivals so I didn't see them (the crew just talked about them in logs, mainly Ganon being a warlord but Majora also got a mention once), I think Anji was the nurse, Skull Kid was an engineer who kept to himself, I think Tetra was there too... also their starship was drifting in space far away from another civilization.

One point I remember is where Skull Kid was in a dark room with a large window where stars could be seen, and he was having a philosophical discussion with Link about the heat death of the universe. I remember a bit of the conversation... (I think it was almost all of it. Skull Kid was the main visual focus, Link was more shadowed and to the side. It actually looked pretty surreal)

Skull Kid: (to Link) Captain... are we lost?
Link: We have a clear destination—
SK: No, I mean lost lost.
(Link stares in confusion and Skull Kid sighs)
SK: We drift in the universe for eons and everywhere everything is dying. Ganondorf, Majora, all those things don't matter. The stars are disappearing. In the game of life no one wins. You just prevent yourself from losing as long as possible. And eventually the universe itself will lose. And heat death wins.
(Link is silent for a while)
Link: We aren't there yet, Skull Kid. Not yet.

The rest of the dream was awesome (well all of it was, but dang Dream!Skull Kid got deep. O_o "In the game of life no one wins, you just have to prevent yourself from losing as long as possible" is probably one of the most melancholically profound statements I've ever heard.

Last edited:
Top Bottom