• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marx Rolls In! - "Now I can cause all the mischief I want!" - Dream Friend DLC Has Launched!

Dig Dug

Chronic Lurker
Finally got around to finishing off the moveset for this little cutie that's been lying on my desktop for weeks on end.
Marx's double jump allows him to fly freely for a couple of seconds. Airdodging while in flight has him keep up the current directions momentum for the dodge before falling regularly. Attacking also has him continue the momentum for a second before he starts falling.

Jab: Simple whack with the twin tails of his hat, one after the other. 2 hits.
Ftilt: A sweeping kick forwards, just like Kirby's ftilt.
Utilt: Swings the tails of his hat around for 2 hits upwards.
Dtilt: Kirby Dtilt.
Dash: Rush. performs the dash forwards from his boss battle.

Fsmash: Marx shoots a smaller version of his laser attack after a small startup. Hits around 5 times for the full attack. Good at killing and Corrin Fsmash range, but easy to see coming and heavy endlag, though it does push him backwards even at the ledge, so using it there facing away from the ledge cuts out the endlag.
Usmash: Shadow Uppercut. Marx vanishes into a shadow on the ground before shooting upwards out of it hard. Invincible for the split second while in the shadow.
Dsmash: Marx materializes his wings and shoots out a barrage of rainbow hexagons each side for multihit damage, before splitting into his pink and blue orb form for a second to knock opponents away.

Nair: Turns so that the top of his head is facing the camera and spins with his wings extended.
Fair: Marx flips forwards, hitting opponents with his hat tails, then with his feet. 2 hits.
Bair: Turns with his heels facing backwards and criss crosses his feet twice. 2 hits.
Uair: Twitls his hat's twin tails around twice. 2 hits.
Dair: Marx Flip Ultima. Marx shoots straight down, knocking opponents away. When he hits the ground he creates a small shockwave and a windbox on either side.

Grab: Marx attempts to grab the opponent with his wing's claw.
Pummel: Whacks the opponent with his hat.
Fthrow: Prank Kick. Marx throw the opponent under him and performs his Prank Kink animation, complete with kicking the opponent away. Good kill throw at the edge.
Bthrow: Warps behind the opponent then performs Rush at their back.
Uthrow: Shadow Uppercut below the opponent.
Dthrow: Shoots a small seed underneath the opponent that then grows into a smaller version of the thorn column attack, blasting the opponent and anyone who touches the thorns away.

B: Black Hole. Marx splits in two, revealing a black hole that absorbs all projectiles and items in a wide radius, regardless of if they're from friend or foe. The absorbed projectiles are used in Side B.

Side B:Thunder Arrows. Marx recycles the projectiles absorbed with Black Hole into the Thunder Arrows. The amount of arrows shot out depends on how many projectiles were absorbed and how powerful they were. Maximum of 9 arrows can be stored. Not good at killing, but great at racking up serious damage when several arrows land.

Up B: Multi-Warp. Marx uses his warping skills from his boss fight to warp 3 times. Always warps the same distance each time, even when directed into the ground, so no bluff warp like other teleport characters. Has a weak hitbox on each re-appearance and at certain % the warps can combo into each other.

Down B: Blast Ball. Changes depending on used in the air or on the ground. Only 1 ball at a time.
In the air, this is simply the bomb drop attack with a small explosion when it hits something. Can be hit back just like WFT's Header. Can also only be used once in the air.
On the ground, Marx brings out a ball to stand on and roll around. Pressing B while on the ball has Marx kick it in a wide arc, meaning it's capable of missing smaller targets at a certain range. Jumping off of the ball lets Marx attack it similarly to WFT's Header ball, allowing for more angles. Marx can also jump off the ball and absorb it using B, allowing him food for the Thunder Arrows if the opponent doesn't use projectiles.

Final Smash: Marx Soul Beam. Marx throws out the four cutters. If any opponent gets hit by the cutters on their path then Marx splits apart and sucks the opponent touched and anyone in range into a black hole. Transported to an area that looks similar to Marx's boss fight area, Marx unlocks his Soul form and blasts the opponents with the full power of his laser.
Really nice! I especially like how interconnected you made his specials. Him using his hat to attack was something I never considered, either. Also, minus the cutters, I had the same idea for his Final Smash, get out of my head jk

Sheng Long

Smash Apprentice
Marx is my number 1 most wanted first party character for Smash. We need more villains and Kirby reps and with him coming back in Star Allies, he can really be a great addition.

Chihiro Fujisaki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KnightOfSpace
as long as lucario returns, which he should be, and wolf comes back, theres only three characters i particularly want in this game: quote, takamaru, and marx. marx has my support.

D

Deleted member

Honestly Marx has gone from my 2nd Kirby choice to my 3rd.
Bandana Dee remains my 1st due to loyalty and because he's my favorite Kirby character, and Susie became my 2nd choice due to being a mech user and due to originating from my favorite game in the franchise.
However, I still do support Marx, and he'd definetly be my choice for a Kirby villain.

Last edited by a moderator:

verysleepywolf

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3153-5879-7280
Never beat Super Star. Marx in Star Allies is really impressive and is actually what sold me to the character. Although lots of characters in the Kirby universe would be awesome, Marx takes 1st spot for me by a longshot almost purely on visual design. I made it far in Super Star and might finish it sometime soon if I can muster up the energy.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
So some rather major Star Allies stuff got datamined, and it's rather good for Marx's Smash Prospects

Wave 2 is Adeline, Daroach and Dark Meta Knight, Wave 3 is Magalor, Taranza, Susie, and the Jambastion Mages. There's also been major unrelated datamines implying Hyness is getting in.

This is actually great for Marx, as most of these characters can be ruled out of DLC (This is assuming we get Dee in the base game). Adeline, Susie, and DMK would likely be similar to Inkling, :4bowserjr:, and :4metaknight: respectively, so similar Sakurai would be worried he's treading old ground. The Jambastion Mages are like the champions, it would be difficult to chose one to add and adding all 3 would be ridiculous. Magalor is very similar to Marx, so Sakurai would probably go for his character. That leaves us with Hyness, Taranza, and Daroach. I don't think they could do much with Daroach, so that leaves us with 2 threats. Of note is that Dark Matter, the largest threat to Marx currently, is NOWHERE to be seen.

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
So some rather major Star Allies stuff got datamined, and it's rather good for Marx's Smash Prospects

Wave 2 is Adeline, Daroach and Dark Meta Knight, Wave 3 is Magalor, Taranza, Susie, and the Jambastion Mages. There's also been major unrelated datamines implying Hyness is getting in.

This is actually great for Marx, as most of these characters can be ruled out of DLC (This is assuming we get Dee in the base game). Adeline, Susie, and DMK would likely be similar to Inkling, :4bowserjr:, and :4metaknight: respectively, so similar Sakurai would be worried he's treading old ground. The Jambastion Mages are like the champions, it would be difficult to chose one to add and adding all 3 would be ridiculous. Magalor is very similar to Marx, so Sakurai would probably go for his character. That leaves us with Hyness, Taranza, and Daroach. I don't think they could do much with Daroach, so that leaves us with 2 threats. Of note is that Dark Matter, the largest threat to Marx currently, is NOWHERE to be seen.
I like the sound of that! that being said I'm still excited to play as the other characters in SA.

D

Deleted member

I wouldn't bank on another Kirby newcomer as DLC either way.

Last edited by a moderator:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I don't think they could do much with Daroach
No...... Just no....

But seriously, how can you say this about a boss. A cool old school ganster mouse with three minions he could also burrow a couple of moves from.

D

Deleted member

Adeline, Susie, and DMK would likely be similar to Inkling, :4bowserjr:, and :4metaknight:
Adeleine and Inkling are hardly similar. Sure they both use paint but it's used in a completely different way - I don't recall Adeleine ever using subweapons, nor do I recall seeing the Inklings bring their paintings to life.
Same with Junior and Susie, their mechs are completely different in both function and design.
Dark MK I'll give you, but I'd rather wait and see how they diffrentiate him from regular Meta Knight in the actual game.
The Jambastion Mages are like the champions, it would be difficult to chose one to add and adding all 3 would be ridiculous.
We don't even know if they're adding all 3 separately or if they function like Rick, Kine and Coo. The former would be a good way to work around that if they were ever added into Smash.
Magalor is very similar to Marx, so Sakurai would probably go for his character.
OR... he'd go for the character that was voted as one of the top 5 more popular Kirby characters and also had a role in several spinoffs.
I don't think they could do much with Daroach
I'd wait to see what he's like in the actual game before I'd say that.

Also, you didn't even adress Gooey or the Animal Buddies. Why do you think a 5th Kirby character is so likely, anyway?

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Marx is currently my favorite character to play as in Kirby Star Allies. Just really like his moveset. The two characters I want to play as in addition are Taranza and Galacta Knight. Hoping Galacta Knight gets in. I THINK Taranza would have a similar moveset to Spider, maybe with some modified moves like how Dedede is similar to hammer but with some unique aspects and meta knight is similar to sword with unique aspects. But none of the other DLC characters so far have just been modified versions of existing characters. Spider is fun though, so I wouldn't have a problem if he was.

Only Kirby character I support for Smash though is Marx. I never liked Bandana Dee

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
Marx is currently my favorite character to play as in Kirby Star Allies. Just really like his moveset. The two characters I want to play as in addition are Taranza and Galacta Knight. Hoping Galacta Knight gets in. I THINK Taranza would have a similar moveset to Spider, maybe with some modified moves like how Dedede is similar to hammer but with some unique aspects and meta knight is similar to sword with unique aspects. But none of the other DLC characters so far have just been modified versions of existing characters. Spider is fun though, so I wouldn't have a problem if he was.

Only Kirby character I support for Smash though is Marx. I never liked Bandana Dee
In terms of Smash as well, I think it'd be pretty cool if we get Galacta Knight as maybe a semi-clone of Meta Knight or something, though only after we already have another Kirby character with a fully original moveset. Preferably Marx, for me at least.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
So I've been thinking about this for a while now, and I think now would be a good time to speak up about it; I like the idea of Marx in the game. He's original, villainous, cutesy, and with Star Allies marking a new appearance from him, he's enjoying a new spike in popularity. There is one thing I'm concerned with, though: if Marx were to get in over other popular Kirby candidates (Bandana Dee, for example), people would just inevitably yell at Sakurai for being biased in favor of Super Star (yet again). Is this something worth worrying about?

D

Deleted member

So I've been thinking about this for a while now, and I think now would be a good time to speak up about it; I like the idea of Marx in the game. He's original, villainous, cutesy, and with Star Allies marking a new appearance from him, he's enjoying a new spike in popularity. There is one thing I'm concerned with, though: if Marx were to get in over other popular Kirby candidates (Bandana Dee, for example), people would just inevitably yell at Sakurai for being biased in favor of Super Star (yet again). Is this something worth worrying about?
Yes, because I know I would (rightfully) do that.

Chihiro Fujisaki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KnightOfSpace
i'd personally only be miffed just because while i want marx more, i feel bandana dee deserves it more. overall i'd be satisfied, as he's my third most wanted

i think what i'd like is bandana dee to be in the base game, while marx can be dlc, since we all know that's an inevitability at this point.

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
I doubt it. Marx has a big enough fanbase, even before SA, that people would probably be able to just say "oh well, I guess people really DID want him"

especially with all the people who will grow to love him and know nothing about a Sakurai bias.

TheSoldier

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2020-0559-7730
Marx would be a great addition to Smash! He's one of those fun villains that I could see trying to con Master Hand out of his power.

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
well, I'm finally getting around to making that second Marx moveset I was talking about a while back. I've just got to finish one I've been making for 'ol Louie here. I've got two already made for him, for different versions of louie, with the left one being his more evil persona as the "King of Bugs" and the right one pulling from him being a protagonist, thus making him a semi-clone of Olimar. My third louie moveset will be somewhere in the middle of these two. Also I've made one for the Plasm Wraith from Pikmin 3, mostly just for the fun of it. the Marx moveset, and the rest of my others, will follow this style from now on, instead of being purely text based. It's more fun this way.
Louie (King of Bugs) Moveset.jpg Louie (Semi-Clone) Moveset.jpg Plasm Wraith Moveset.jpg

DYED

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 8460 7625 6123
I 100% support this.
The only Kirby Newcomer that really matters

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
If Bandana Dee's plea didn't work out well in GameXplain,
would this mean Marx has a better shot?

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
If Bandana Dee's plea didn't work out well in GameXplain,
would this mean Marx has a better shot?
It's honestly hard to tell. A lot of their points seemed to be slightly different than the average ones for and against BWD, so I can't quite tell what they're thinking when they decipher a character's worthiness. But I want to say yes, as it seems their main point they harped on was that BWD is just a waddle dee with a hat and what not, so Marx being an actual individual character could be a major helper, but again, it's hard to say with them.

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, just got done with my second Marx moveset. Also I have my first one finished in its original post.
Marx Moveset.jpg

ThyCheshireCat

Smash Apprentice
The Former British Empire of great Britain.
Marx is EASILY my most wanted newcomer for this next Smash game, while he is likely gonna be as DLC if anything he has a pretty decent shot IMO and he would be AWESOME!!! I not only support Marx in Smash but i vouch for the fact that Marx would easily not only be my most wanted newcomer, but most wanted thing that could be added next game. Part of it's just me being a Kirby fanboy, part of it's just me wanting villains but part of it is because when it comes to unique moveset potential, you can't beat Marxy boi!

Last edited:

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Having Marx as a character would make sense considering He's a fan favorite and new players are getting acquainted with him via him being added as a dream friend, but honestly if Sakurai is adding a Kirby character, it's gonna be Bandana Dee first. It only makes sense to finish the quartet and he's much more wanted than Marx is, as much as I would like Marx in, i don't think he's gonna make it. Besides, i feel his moveset would be hard to transfer over to Smash considering Marx's moveset was made with a Kirby game in mind, you could say that with other characters, but lemme specify: Having a character than can Fly, Spit Balls, Use Black Holes, and Throw Balls i feel would be broken in smash unless Sakurai can work around it.

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
Having Marx as a character would make sense considering He's a fan favorite and new players are getting acquainted with him via him being added as a dream friend, but honestly if Sakurai is adding a Kirby character, it's gonna be Bandana Dee first. It only makes sense to finish the quartet and he's much more wanted than Marx is, as much as I would like Marx in, i don't think he's gonna make it. Besides, i feel his moveset would be hard to transfer over to Smash considering Marx's moveset was made with a Kirby game in mind, you could say that with other characters, but lemme specify: Having a character than can Fly, Spit Balls, Use Black Holes, and Throw Balls i feel would be broken in smash unless Sakurai can work around it.
I mean, it's always possible to get two reps per game, Mario and Pokemon have done it every time except for one game each. Also, I feel a moveset for Marx could be done, similarly to how I made mine, give him all his OPish moves for his aerials and specials and make him super weak on the ground. Just make him the ultimate air-fighter. Besides, there are plenty of ways to nerf characters without altering the character too much, so I'd say it can be done.

Chihiro Fujisaki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KnightOfSpace
I mean, it's always possible to get two reps per game, Mario and Pokemon have done it every time except for one game each. Also, I feel a moveset for Marx could be done, similarly to how I made mine, give him all his OPish moves for his aerials and specials and make him super weak on the ground. Just make him the ultimate air-fighter. Besides, there are plenty of ways to nerf characters without altering the character too much, so I'd say it can be done.
i agree with this. not to mention the fact that kirby and smash flow pretty similarly due to obvious reasons. marx's moveset is practically made for him, as is every other playable kirby character. hell dark meta knight could even be added and he would be a different character than meta knight

Last edited:

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
The Two reps per game Argument is solid, but i feel like Kirby is a bit smaller than Nintendo's Other IPs (Mario, Zelda, etc.) than they'll probably only be one. Heck, even Bigger IPs usually get About one Character per game (Except Mario and Fire Emblem Maybe) And your moveset is good but the ariel attack feels a bit too good. Specifically down ariel. i feel like just having him spit the ball will be good enough without the extra effects when it hits the ground.

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Up ariel and to, Just take away the cactus things and it's fine. also, standard special feels a bit too OP. Maybe make it Thinner, and kinda be charged up like Robins Standard Special, and the Dash Attack i feel shouldn't be a projectile attack, that's like having Mega Man's Dash be his Forward Special.
(I'm probably being way too critical xD)

Chihiro Fujisaki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KnightOfSpace
The Two reps per game Argument is solid, but i feel like Kirby is a bit smaller than Nintendo's Other IPs (Mario, Zelda, etc.) than they'll probably only be one. Heck, even Bigger IPs usually get About one Character per game (Except Mario and Fire Emblem Maybe) And your moveset is good but the ariel attack feels a bit too good. Specifically down ariel. i feel like just having him spit the ball will be good enough without the extra effects when it hits the ground.
kirby is nintendo's 8th most popular franchise overall. above it is mario, pokemon, the wii series, zelda, donkey kong, game and watch, and smash itself. i think its popular enough to warrant two reps personally. like i said though, i think marx would come in as DLC more likely than not

Last edited:

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
kirby is nintendo's 8th most popular franchise overall. above it is mario, pokemon, the wii series, zelda, donkey kong, game and watch, and smash itself. i think its popular enough to warrant two reps personally. like i said though, i think marx would come in as DLC more likely than not
It could get two Reps, but even LoZ, One of Nintendo Most Popular Franchises gained 0 Reps in smash 4

Top Bottom