• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marx Rolls In! - "Now I can cause all the mischief I want!" - Dream Friend DLC Has Launched!

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
8-peacock-8 must be talking about the Team Attack. It's not something that's unique to Marx, but rather an attack that two players can perform by holding and releasing L or R at the same time while in piggyback.

The resulting attack is a large beam not unlike that of Marx's laser, so it's not surprising that they didn't incorporate it into Marx's unique moveset. When you use the Team Attack while piggybacking Marx, he fires it from his mouth like his original laser attack.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
I was thinking, what if Marx’s final smash was a cutscene. He shoots the laser and if it hits anyone it will take them into a cutscene where he teleports in front of them and opens up the black hole as the finisher.

DefinitelyNotSascha

Smash Cadet
I never really got why Marx is so popular. He's only a villain in Super Star's Milky Way Wishes, and that's a subgame, so he's equally as important as Dyna Blade and to an extent Wham Bam Rock. If a Kirby-villain makes it in, it's probably Dark Matter, since he's the only one that was the big bad of more than one game. Magolor is also a bit more probable than Marx, being more recent and thus more relevant and popular with fans and developers alike.

D

Deleted member

I never really got why Marx is so popular. He's only a villain in Super Star's Milky Way Wishes, and that's a subgame, so he's equally as important as Dyna Blade and to an extent Wham Bam Rock. If a Kirby-villain makes it in, it's probably Dark Matter, since he's the only one that was the big bad of more than one game. Magolor is also a bit more probable than Marx, being more recent and thus more relevant and popular with fans and developers alike.
Like I told you in the Bandana Dee thread, being the final boss of the most well know Kirby game definetly makes him notable. If he's as important as Dyna Blade and Wham Bam Rock then where are Dyna Blade Soul and Wham Bam Soul?
Also, I really don't see the point of coming to a support thread just to rain on the parade.

Last edited by a moderator:

DefinitelyNotSascha

Smash Cadet

Like I told you in the Bandana Dee thread, being the final boss of the most well know Kirby game definetly makes him notable. If he's as important as Dyna Blade and Wham Bam Rock then where are Dyna Blade Soul and Wham Bam Soul?
Also, I really don't see the point of coming to a support thread just to rain on the parade.
I'd actually argue that Dyna Blade is more important than Marx. The subgame where she's the last boss was named after her, she also appeared in Revenge of Meta Knight, had an event in Air Ride, a stage in Kirby Fighters Deluxe and was in the anime as well. Marx only has Star Allies over her, although that game is relevant and he's playable, I'll give you that.

Please don't take my comments as an insult, I'm just questioning his chances. In the Bandana Dee-thread, they list a lot of arguments against him and counter them. I just wanted to list some arguments here and see people counter them, that's what I'm interested in. After all, it's not really interesting if everyone just agrees and there is no discussion going on, is there? Again, don't take this as an insult, I'm not here to hate on Marx.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'd actually argue that Dyna Blade is more important than Marx. The subgame where she's the last boss was named after her, she also appeared in Revenge of Meta Knight, had an event in Air Ride, a stage in Kirby Fighters Deluxe and was in the anime as well. Marx only has Star Allies over her, although that game is relevant and he's playable, I'll give you that.
That's a fair point. However, I would still consider Marx to be the main villain of Super Star for having a Soul form, and also because Dyna Blade reformed after her campaign.
Also, Dyna Blade isn't really Smash material, because y'know... too big. :p

Please don't take my comments as an insult, I'm just questioning his chances. In the Bandana Dee-thread, they list a lot of arguments against him and counter them. I just wanted to list some arguments here and see people counter them, that's what I'm interested in. After all, it's not really interesting if everyone just agrees and there is no discussion going on, is there? Again, don't take this as an insult, I'm not here to hate on Marx.
I actually don't think Marx is likely at all, the roster was decided back in late 2016 (before the game's development even began) and being a dream friend really isn't that big of a deal considering they're bringing back a bunch of other fan favorites.
If anything, Bandana Dee has an edge because he's in the base game with a moveset that's completely unique to him and isn't based off a copy ability that's in Star Allies.
I'd like both of them personally, but I don't see it happening.

DefinitelyNotSascha

Smash Cadet
That's a fair point. However, I would still consider Marx to be the main villain of Super Star for having a Soul form, and also because Dyna Blade reformed after her campaign.
Also, Dyna Blade isn't really Smash material, because y'know... too big. :p

I actually don't think Marx is likely at all, the roster was decided back in late 2016 (before the game's development even began) and being a dream friend really isn't that big of a deal considering they're bringing back a bunch of other fan favorites.
If anything, Bandana Dee has an edge because he's in the base game with a moveset that's completely unique to him and isn't based off a copy ability that's in Star Allies.
I'd like both of them personally, but I don't see it happening.
Nah, I'd never consider Dyna Blade as a playable character. I'd love to see her in the background of a stage though, Like Dedede in Dreamland 64, or even as a stage hazard like Ridley on Pyrosphere (Though I'd even rather have Kracko with that purpose).
I also forgot to add that Wham Bam Jewel is basically Wham Bam Rock's Soul form, even if it's not in the name.

Luminario

Smash Lord

I think it's important to note Marx's unyielding popularity too. Despite his lack of appearances over the years people seemed to be very excited about playing as him. Sure he's not as likely as Dee or Magalor, but he is well known and well liked. Besides, when have abysmal chances ever stopped any of us from supporting characters anyway?:awesome:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
You know what I'm in

Marx came to possibility since he's actually playable in star allies

And sakurai considers Kirby series in the his baby category like pit

If sakurai was involved in star Allies this would make him rediculously likely.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Actually Wham Bam Rock got a KIND of Soul form in Ultra, Wham Bam Jewel.

ALSO HOLY CRAP GUYS I BEAT THE MARX RUN
THINGS TO NOTE: Marx is pretty fast, the Bluster Cutter attack is nuts, I recognized some level design from Ultra., Black Hole obliterates Pon and Con and the final boss of Guest Star gets a VS Marx remix!

D

Deleted member

You know what I'm in

Marx came to possibility since he's actually playable in star allies

And sakurai considers Kirby series in the his baby category like pit

If sakurai was involved in star Allies this would make him rediculously likely.
The roster was probably finalized back in early 2016 so I don't think that makes him likely at all.
Sakurai wasn't involved with Star Allies' developement. He left HAL way back in 2003.

Actually Wham Bam Rock got a KIND of Soul form in Ultra, Wham Bam Jewel.
I didn't know whether it counts or not.

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
8-peacock-8 must be talking about the Team Attack. It's not something that's unique to Marx, but rather an attack that two players can perform by holding and releasing L or R at the same time while in piggyback.

The resulting attack is a large beam not unlike that of Marx's laser, so it's not surprising that they didn't incorporate it into Marx's unique moveset. When you use the Team Attack while piggybacking Marx, he fires it from his mouth like his original laser attack.

Thanks for clearing it up! I was wondering how to do that as well lol

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
actually, Marx is the final boss of Superstar, not just one of the other regular bosses, something even HAL agrees on.

I'd also be inclined to disagree with Dark Matter being added as the main Kirby villain, as it is (at least I would think it is) a bit too messy and all over the place to be included as just one character. Dark Matter as a whole is more of a race of creatures than a single antagonistic character. Each incarnation of it is a different off-shoot of the, well, matter. On top of this, the creatures themselves seem to be kind of hard to implement into smash, because they have no real limbs or features at all other than an eye. Not to mention that they're not land-bound creatures. And while some characters in smash to float/levitate, rather than simple walking, Dark Matter are known to straight up fly. (though maybe I'm just looking to far into this). The only one of the Dark Matter crew that has the most "form" compared to the others in the Dark Matter Swordsman. The only problem with that is that he's only been the final boss of one game as well, putting him at best, the same odds as Marx going by your criteria, or at worst a bit below Marx.

There's also the fact that Marx has had a VERY large impact on the series' final bosses, and even bosses in general. Many of them borrow moves from Marx, and even copy his theme of "soul boss at the end of the arena" (though yes I know he wasn't the one to invent soul bosses as a whole).

Also Sakurai bias, as much as I hate throwing that around so much, it really does seem to hold true so far with only very minor exceptions.

I do appreciate that you're giving counter arguments however, as it definitely makes for good conversation, as well as gives us a chance to strengthen and expand our views on the character.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Took a look at the DLC.

I want Rick/Coo/Kine's moveset applied to a Majora's Mask Link.

Also Gooey looks fun to play as.

DefinitelyNotSascha

Smash Cadet
actually, Marx is the final boss of Superstar, not just one of the other regular bosses, something even HAL agrees on.

I'd also be inclined to disagree with Dark Matter being added as the main Kirby villain, as it is (at least I would think it is) a bit too messy and all over the place to be included as just one character. Dark Matter as a whole is more of a race of creatures than a single antagonistic character. Each incarnation of it is a different off-shoot of the, well, matter. On top of this, the creatures themselves seem to be kind of hard to implement into smash, because they have no real limbs or features at all other than an eye. Not to mention that they're not land-bound creatures. And while some characters in smash to float/levitate, rather than simple walking, Dark Matter are known to straight up fly. (though maybe I'm just looking to far into this). The only one of the Dark Matter crew that has the most "form" compared to the others in the Dark Matter Swordsman. The only problem with that is that he's only been the final boss of one game as well, putting him at best, the same odds as Marx going by your criteria, or at worst a bit below Marx.

There's also the fact that Marx has had a VERY large impact on the series' final bosses, and even bosses in general. Many of them borrow moves from Marx, and even copy his theme of "soul boss at the end of the arena" (though yes I know he wasn't the one to invent soul bosses as a whole).

Also Sakurai bias, as much as I hate throwing that around so much, it really does seem to hold true so far with only very minor exceptions.

I do appreciate that you're giving counter arguments however, as it definitely makes for good conversation, as well as gives us a chance to strengthen and expand our views on the character.
To elaborate a bit on the Dark Matter... matter, I could very well see him shifting from the swordsman-form into the standard-form when needed as he does in Planet Robobot. And making him groundbound wouldn't be the most difficult thing to implement (Bowser Jr.'s Clown Car normally is airborne at all times as well), that would be much more problematic with characters like Kracko for example, who always floats above Kirby. I sill think he has a bit of a higher chance than Marx just because he'd represent his entire species, which is the closest the Kirby-series has come to an overarching villain, but to each their own.

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
Definitely gonna support him! I feel like he'd be up there with Bandana Waddle Dee as the most likely new kirby character

BlazGreen

Smash Journeyman
After seeing his Star Allies gameplay I definitely want him in Smash now.

AVQuasar

Smash Rookie
Although a LOT less likely to show up than Bandana Dee, it still would be nice to at least see him as an assist trophy.

D

Deleted member

If he's as important as Dyna Blade and Wham Bam Rock then where are Dyna Blade Soul and Wham Bam Soul?

Close enough? :troll:

But in all seriousness, Marx is someone I didn't really know I wanted. Seeing him in Star Allies has made me think he'd be fun in Smash.

And it would be the first true Kirby villain in Smash, since Dedede and Meta Knight are more anti-heroes than straight up villains.
Even as a Dream Ally in Star Allies, Marx is only helping out to save his own ass, not because he's reformed.

I think Star Allies and his role as a Dream Ally came too late to give him a shot outside DLC and I support Galacta Knight a lot more out of personal bias, but I'd be down for Marx.

AVQuasar

Smash Rookie
The roster was probably finalized back in early 2016 so I don't think that makes him likely at all.
Sakurai wasn't involved with Star Allies' developement. He left HAL way back in 2003.

I didn't know whether it counts or not.
The fact that the roster was finalized back then probably means that HAL was working on Marx in Star Allies at a similar time.

D

Deleted member

The fact that the roster was finalized back then probably means that HAL was working on Marx in Star Allies at a similar time.
That's not exactly a reasonable argument.
Development for one game isn't indicative of development for another.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Hmm. I used to think that Dark Matter was the Kirby villian I wanted, but I recently had finished Kirby's Dream Land 2, and I really dislike the final boss fight in that game.

I still think he looks cooler than Marx, but Marx beats out Dark Matter in pretty much every other way for me now. Especially concerning smash.

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
man, playing as Marx in Star Allies is really something else...

I definitely have bee inspired enough to make that second moveset I mentioned a while back. That being said, I may need some time to finish it like the first one.

Also the first one is now finished, and edited into the original post for it.

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
Now that I've seen him in Star Allies and checked out gameplay footage of his boss fights, I think Marx would be pretty cool. He's got history, he's an actual villain from the Kirby series, and he's got a pretty flashy set of attacks. I've been pretty underwhelmed by the idea of a fourth Kirby character because Bandanna Dee used to be the only realistic candidate suggested, but the more I see of Marx, the more I like him. I just hope that if he got in, they would figure out how to rework his attacks so that they would work in a Smash environment. Maybe use the ball form for a significant portion of his normals and bring the wings out for midair jumps or even an aerial, like Meta Knight and Corrin.

Phoebee

Smash Cadet
I've found myself really wanting him in over the past few days, so count me in.

Zeox

Smash Champion
Honestly at first I had my doubts, but I think that Dark Matter swordman could work as a character, floating like mewtwo, using his sword, lasers and stuff, having his true form as final smash... hell, it could even have Drawcia as an alt pallete, instead of sword the magic brush, and final smash her soul form.
Honestly I doubt it but dreaming is free.
Anyways, Marx also has been a recurrent character and made lots of cameos in recent kirby games, just look at his page in the kirby wiki, he made cameos in planet robobot, triple deluxe, return to dream land, and was the final boss of a pinball minigame in mass attack.

He has been in every recent kirby game in one way or another, similar to dark matter, so I believe he have a chance to be in this new Smash.

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
I wouldn’t mind Marx joining the roster...he‘s a villain, had a cool design and and a moveset that can incorporate many unique traits.

I‘d love him to juggle his ball around, maybe he could summon it as his neutral B?
His tilts can then be used to kick the ball around, or he can jump on it to take it with him.

Anyway, lot‘s of cool ideas for this character, so I am all in!

StormC

Smash Hero
If Marx doesn’t make it into this game I hope he gets another major role soon (preferably as a villain again) so his profile can be raised for future Smash entries.

Serious question, what would he grab stuff with?

Last edited:

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
This seems like a cool character to put in Smash. Much more interesting than Bandana Dee. I support him!

StormC

Smash Hero
I’m sorta torn on Marx. I think he would be a really cool fighter but I feel like I don’t know the character. When I think of villains in Smash and potential villains like K. Rool and Ridley I have a pretty good grasp of their personality, relationship with the hero, and they have things like minions that act as an extension of themselves. Plus I think Bandana Dee is more important.

That said...I think he should have his wings in his default form. It makes his form stand out more and if they’re Star Allies sized they won’t get in the way. He should summon his ball as an an attack and he can run around in it, then hit the attack button again to kick it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Serious question, what would he grab stuff with?
If how he lifts up his ball when being powered up by a fellow Ally is any indication....nothing.

Items would just appear to his side.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
When it comes to 5th Kirby character, I think I'd rather Dark Matter, switching between Swordsman and Eye form and Daroach, who I admit is far less likely. But Dark Matter is far more recurring and his revival in Planet Robobot definitely has timing on his side more so than Marx return in Star Allies. Heck, we even get a lot of Dark Matter influence in Star Allies, including with the playable Gooey.

And Yes, 5th character. Because as far as I'm concerned, Kirby only has one eligible 4th character and I think you all know who I'm talking about

D

Deleted member

We need a true Smash-style Kirby fighting game, honestly.
There are so many unique Kirby characters to choose from that it would be a shame to ignore anyone.

Kirbizard

Smash Cadet
I didn't realise how much I wanted Marx in Smash until I played with him in Star Allies. He's the most fun character to play as by far. His Final Smash has to be his face-splitting black hole, there's nothing more fitting.

Heck, I want more boss characters in Smash in general. True Ganon, Ridley and now Marx, give them all their over top moves, I would adore it.

We need a true Smash-style Kirby fighting game, honestly.
There are so many unique Kirby characters to choose from that it would be a shame to ignore anyone.
Kirby Fighters Deluxe but more fleshed out and with the actual friends and helpers would be nice.

Top Bottom