• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth's moveset basics: How to use Marth's moves at a novice level

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Alright, there's lots of threads, and videos and stuff that teaches you how to do all this complex fancy stuff like Breversing Shieldbreaker and using Aerial Dancing Blade, etc. I'm writing a simple little guide that will tell you how to do Marth's most basic strategies. This guide will not only outline Marth's most important moves, but also show how to use them with each other. It won't cover the more advanced moves.

As a novice Marth, the follow are moves you should stay away from:
Dolphin Slash (upB) except for recovery
Shieldbreaker
Dair
Ftilt
Utilt
Jab
Counter
Dsmash

I'll go through the rest of Marth's moves one by one, and then teach you how to tie them together, to play a basic, but proficient Marth. Follow these steps, and you'll be getting past the first few rounds in tourneys, and beating your friends in no time.

Fair: This is Marth's basic. However, there's WAY more to using Fair that just spamming forward A in the air. First of all, you need to understand that there's different ways to use Fair. I'll go into that now.
-Rising Fair is done by jumping, and then Fairing
-Falling Fair is done by Falling, or Fast Falling, and then Fairing
-Approaching Fair is done by jumping towards your opponent, and then using the C-stick forward.
-Retreating/spaced Fair is done by jumping away from your opponent or in place, and then using the C-stick.

Approaching Fair and Retreating/Spaced Fair can be mixed with Rising and Falling Fair.

Now, against more skilled opponents, you'll find that the foe frequently dashes into their shield. This makes it super important to space all your fairs properly, and move backwards sometimes, to adjust your spacing, so you don't get shield grabbed. You should always aim to tipper of course. The best way to get better at tippering is experience. After you play for a while, you get a good feel for it. Rising Fairs are usually done approaching, and Falling Fairs are usually done retreated. Make sure you use the C-stick to Fair, so you can use the joystick to have full control over your character movement. This will greatly help spacing and mobility, so even if you suck at it, practice. Eventually, it will feel natural.

Use Fair because it's safe if spaced on an opponent's shield. It has too much range to shield grab, and too little lag to punish. If they don't shield, then Falling Fair will combo into other stuff, which we'll cover later. For now, onto the next move.

Dtilt: Dtilt is a follow up move, that provides continuous pressure. Fair is fast, but it requires jumping. For this reason, we use dtilt. It has the safety of Fair, but it's used on the ground. The trouble with Dtilt, unlike Fair, you can't actively space Dtilt. Since Fair is an aerial, you can move while using it, but dtilt isn't the same. For this reason, you should Dtilt AFTER you land from a Fair. If you spaced the Fair properly, it will have automatically spaced the dtilt for you. If dtilt hits a shield, it reduces the shield a little, and eventually it will poke through. Your opponent will be forced to jump or roll away.

Dancing Blade: Before I say anything, let me note that at novice level, you should only use regular Dancing Blade, NOT the up or down versions. At higher play, we almost always use the red, foward Dancing Blade ANYWAY.

Now, Dancing Blade's main purposes are to follow up attacks, and to punish your opponent's mistakes. If you land a dtilt or an auto-cancelled Fair at low to mid percents, it will combo into a Dancing Blade. Basically, just pay attention to when you hit your opponent, and when Fair or Dtilt connects, dash into a Dancing Blade. Fair to Dancing Blade, or Dtilt to Dancing Blade, deals over 25 percent if you tipper. Dancing Blade is also fast, and can be done out of a dash, so it's good for punishing your opponent's laggy moves and mistakes.

You can also use the first hit of Dancing Blade to help your spacing on the ground. It allows you to dash forwards or backwards, and then poke your opponent. If you find yourself too close to your opponent, or slightly too far, just dash and space ONLY THE FIRST HIT of Dancing Blade on their shield. If you spaced properly, you should be in perfect dtilt range. Dancing Blade also punishes a roll behind a dtilt on reaction. If you dtilt, and your opponent rolls, you can use Dancing Blade to punish.

THOSE ARE THE THREE MAIN BREAD AND BUTTER MOVES. Fair, Dtilt, Dancing Blade working together. That is actually how you'll rack up the damage.

Bair/Uair: Back air is good because it swings from low, and hits high. Fair is sometimes useful because it hits underneath Marth with O.K. range. It swings high and hits low. So, if you want to hit an opponent above you, you should space a back air. One advantage of using Bair over Uair is the horizontal range, making you less susceptible to pesky Dairs. It also has MUCH less lag than Uair in the air (though Uair auto-cancels and Bair does not). For these reasons, Bair is good while rising, and Uair is better for falling, if you're trying to hit an opponent above you. Both fresh Bair and Uair can kill. Bair is extremely effective at edgeguarding, because of it's angle and range. However, it's important to note that Marth's Bair turns him around, so you can only do it once. Space well and swing true.

Nair: Nair is good because it has two swings instead of one. This allows it to occupy an area for more time. It also kills very well if you tipper the second hit. If you do a rising Nair, make sure to FastFall it. It takes practice to learn how to move around forwards and backwards while using Nairs repeatedly. If your opponent is at kill percents, try a tippered Nair. Mix this in with lots ot Fairs.

Fsmash: For now, this move should only be used to punish your opponent's mistakes for a kill. Airdodging into the ground in front of Marth is a mistake, and can be punished with Fsmash if you have good timing. This is a good way to kill your opponent.

Usmash: Usmash, like Fsmash, should only be used to punish your opponent's really laggy moves, but this move is good because it can be used out of a dash. Do it basically when your opponent majorly messes up, so it can kill them.

That covers all of the different moves. Basically, stick to Fairs to space. Then, use dtilt if you hit a shield off a spaced landing Fair, to continue pressure. If either of these attacks connect, or your ground spacing is bad, Dash into the right spacing for First hit Dancing Blade, and resume spacing. When you break through your opponent's guard, hit them as stated above, or juggle them as described above. Use Fsmash and Usmash to punish laggy moves of your opponent, and try not to use laggy moves yourself, especially the ones I recommended you not to use.

One more thing. If your opponent is shielding, grab them. Though you can space moves on a shield, it's always always better to get the grab. If you do grab, Fthrow Dancing Bblade is a good set-up.

I'm happy to take questions.

Rad

Smash Ace
I appreciate that you did this.

I can't say I learned that much because this is really (!) basic (even for me), but it answered my B-air question (which I really should have known the answer to anyway).

You went away from U-air a lot in your B-air/U-air description. I feel it could have mentioned SHFF U-air and how it's useful when the opponent is heading towards the ground or something, because it was really just B-air, B-air, B-air.

The moves I'd like to hear most about are U-tilt, D-Smash and Counter, which you didn't talk about. It's not that I don't understand how and when to use them - I just feel there's probably some aspects of them I'm missing - which might come through with a detailed description.

---

Also B-air does auto-cancel

Shaya said:
Hit: 7-11
Auto Cancel: 1-6, 31-38
End: 39

Rubberbandman

Smash Champion
I see one spelling mistake.

Fsmash: For now, this move should only be used to punish your opponent's mistakes for a kill. Airdodging into the ground in from of Marth is a mistake, and can be punished with Fsmash if you have good timing. This is a good way to kill your opponent.

Should be 'front' instead of 'from'.

Good read, ***.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Urrrgh, why does usmash kill only at a silly percent amount? I swear even utilt kills earlier.
I appreciate that you did this.

I can't say I learned that much because this is really (!) basic (even for me), but it answered my B-air question (which I really should have known the answer to anyway).

You went away from U-air a lot in your B-air/U-air description. I feel it could have mentioned SHFF U-air and how it's useful when the opponent is heading towards the ground or something, because it was really just B-air, B-air, B-air.

The moves I'd like to hear most about are U-tilt, D-Smash and Counter, which you didn't talk about. It's not that I don't understand how and when to use them - I just feel there's probably some aspects of them I'm missing - which might come through with a detailed description.

---

Also B-air does auto-cancel
There's a difference between frame intensive auto-canceling and consistent "autocanceling". Aerials that are said to autocancel actually have really, really low ending lag (Ike nair, Marth fair/uair/nair, etc.) The true autocanceling that you mentioned there usually comes right BEFORE or AFTER the move's hitbox and animation is done/started. (try it for yourself, you'll notice that bair will have a lot of lag while still in the move) Every move has capability for autocanceling, it's naturally programmed to the very beginning/end of it, it's the games way of letting you cancel the move a tiny bit earlier/later than when the move actually does anything (it's how I got Lucario Fullhop double lagless fair to work)

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
I see one spelling mistake.

Fsmash: For now, this move should only be used to punish your opponent's mistakes for a kill. Airdodging into the ground in from of Marth is a mistake, and can be punished with Fsmash if you have good timing. This is a good way to kill your opponent.

Should be 'front' instead of 'from'.

Good read, ***.
Good looks madu. I wrote this in like 4 in the morning. It's fixed

There are people who don't understand the things listed in here?
lol, yes. It's called, "Everyone who is just started to get into competative Brawl and wants to use Marth."

Now, when those players trickle in, you have a resource.

Rad

Smash Ace
There are people who don't understand the things listed in here?
When I was absolutely new to Marth I didn't know how to use his basic moveset properly, and had to learn it over time. I learned quickly, but not all from the same place. I think I managed to read (Ulevo's?) guide before it disappeared, but that was a while ago. I definitely read a comprehensive guide, and the melee guide, which gave me an understanding of some basic crap and told me to use F-Smash, lol.

Obviously the Melee guide was useless, and I didn't pick up much in the comprehensive guide before it disappeared either. What I picked up in the stickies and from watching vidoes/people came slower obviously. I probably 'learned' the most about Marth's moveset by reading the move tier list thread, and just 'prioritising' moves higher on the list.

Point is, there are people who will find this helpful, because right now the only way to understand Marth's basic moveset is to read through all the stickies - unless I'm missing something.

---

Sorry for my bodgie second post, and thanks for the nice explanation that:

There's a difference between frame intensive auto-canceling and consistent "autocanceling".
I'll think more next time, but the way I read it made me go 'lolwut'

Suntan Luigi

Smash Lord
I have a few things to ask:

My friends and I play on a TV that has slightly noticable lag and because of this it becomes harder to punish airdodging into the ground, powershield, or other small-frame windows. Is there any way to get over this issue? (besides getting a different TV)

Also, I find that there are a lot of different things to keep track of during a match, and I don't know how should I be thinking/what the proper mindset is. Any advice for this?

Kel

Smash Master
Marth was my first main when Brawl came out but I dropped him because MK out-ranged him. Since it's not looking good for MK I think I've decided to go back to being a Marth main. Pierce, you should help me out in getting me up to speed. I used to watch Roy r's videos and say "wow, I wish I could make marth usable like that". Teach me, obi-wan-ka-pierce.

I think the only real downfall for Marth is his terrible recovery. Is this still a problem?

Needle of Juntah

Smash Champion
Im actually picking up marth since GW forum doesnt appreciate its best player, yes still banned. Anyways im going to be using these basic tips to start my new char and hopefully we get to play again some time pierce :) you always have good advice and share it freely :)

Lord Chair

Smash Master
Marth was my first main when Brawl came out but I dropped him because MK out-ranged him. Since it's not looking good for MK I think I've decided to go back to being a Marth main. Pierce, you should help me out in getting me up to speed. I used to watch Roy r's videos and say "wow, I wish I could make marth usable like that". Teach me, obi-wan-ka-pierce.

I think the only real downfall for Marth is his terrible recovery. Is this still a problem?
A little advise to you (even though you never asked me, I'm cruel I know I am):

1. All recoveries are terrible compared to MK's.
2. Don't play Marth the way you play MK.

edit:
...since GW forum doesnt appreciate its best player...
Ahahaha.

Duskshadow

Smash Apprentice
Good information Pierce. I am anxious to read the intermediate guide.

dean.

NNID
dean7599
3DS FC
1435-4425-6023
i was suprised at how much re-looking over the basics improved my game; can't believe i forgot how effective ff fair > dtilt is in some matchups.

Rad

Smash Ace
Replace 'Expert' with 'Advanced' and what he said actually makes sense. I assume that was what was meant.

>_>

Otherwise lol

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167

The main things holding him back are recovery problems and difficulty killing compared to other top characters. Overall he doesn't have it too bad.

Nice guide pierce, looking forward to the medium as well.

Fatalzyntax

Smash Apprentice
You should also put "Dash attack" on list of moves not to do.
I've seen too many novice Marths try to spam that to no avail.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
pierce will probably read this and say:

"...marth has a dash attack?"

and we will all have our thought bubbles combined

and ponder a moment

and so upon realization of this truth

we laugh and shake off the terrible conception

of such a miserly move

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Nice guide pierce, so pro.

*waits for medium guide*

if you need a guide and you think you're an expert clearly something is wrong
Why?

Such a version is for higher level players looking to make the jump to top level players, basically the people who have mastered medium.

Furthermore, it would be useful for people who are already high-leveled players to make sure they're not missing anything useful that could really help their game (think of M2K not knowing any of the item techs).

Of course, such a guide would probably be a lot more devoted to the theory of play and such, but the point is, a guide to make that jump.

I've seen too many novice Marths try to spam that to no avail.
Heh? Marth has a dash attack? I always thought that pressing A while you dash makes you jump and nair or fair depending on if I keep pressing forward. Hmmm, maybe I've just been pressing jump all this time, I should try forcing myself to not press jump, I've never seen anyone do a dash attack after all, you knows, this might be a massive advancement to marth's metagame!

*does a dash attack*

The horror, THE HORROR!!!!

Quick, pass me some brain bleach!

The pro byline for dash attack is: Marth has no dash attack.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
The pro byline for dash attack is: Marth has no dash attack.
The funny thing is the ONLY time it's useful is the in our hardest matchup. Who knew MK's bane was the worst move in the game all this time? :laugh:

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Yes, how very unusual for a guide to be made for lower-level players.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Hahaha. I will do the medium guide soon. Perhaps tomorrow. And yes, there will be an advanced guide. Hell, there are PLENTY of things I know that neither Neo, nor Mike knows. Thinking about it, there will probably be 4 guides in total, not three.

Uh, yes Kel, I will teach you what I know.

Lord Chair, I think that Dolphin Slash is definitely not a move for novice. I've trained several Marth players already, and I've found much increased success making sure they don't spam Dolphin Slash, because lower-leveled players are far easier to bait.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Yea... newbies learning dolphin slash is... not a pretty picture.

Probably one of the best illustrations of a threat being greater then it's execution in the game.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Probably one of the best illustrations of a threat being greater then it's execution in the game.
QFT. A few times to get the message across is all it takes to make your opponent feel like they absolutely can't attack your shield. Then you don't have to take risks while still limiting their options.

Mr-R

Smash Champion
There is not a SINGLE thing I don't know about marth

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Mr-R, what is Marth's name in Melee's debug mode menu?!?!

Top Bottom