• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth Q&A-Ask your questions here!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeachCanFly

Smash Rookie
Hey guys im having a problem, i cant seem to short hop! this is really pissing me off, I put a lvl 1 cpu on, i try to short hop, then nuterial a, then l cancel ( nair? ) but I CANT SHORT HOP! then when i actually do short hop i forget what im doing and forget to l cancel\sometimes press a

I need help on this combo thing, also can some one explain this besides

Short hopping, pressing a, then l canceling ( i skip the fast fall because im beginning ) is there anything i can do to improve this, I REALLY wannna get good because my cousins who love SSBM are coming and i wanna beat them for once!

PLEASSEE HELP ME!!!!!!!

i need help on comboing or shing or what ever i just cant short hop! :((((((( i have a week till they come I MUST STAY UP ALL NIGHT!

PeachCanFly

Smash Rookie
I just noticed though, i can hit em into the air, doing up b, or normal hits then on his way down, do the Jump nuteral A, Fast fall L cancel, jump again nuteral a and k0.

But the SHORT HOSP!!! ARGH!!!!

need sooo many tips to get better, I CANT BE WORST THEN HIM! IM A LAUGHIGN STOCK!!!! MUST DEFEAT!

Gian

Smash Apprentice
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQbzpcCJ0m0
start at 1:20

how do you do the dair on the ledge correctly?
i can never do that.
well if by "correctly" u mean falling into stage u have to press down, then jump, then do Dair while rising, and move control stick Up and into the stage that way u wont fall into ur death...
but if u mean not getting hit by the opponents up B, eighter get good timing (on some recovery's) or use ur invincibility frames to nail ur opponent with ur Dair, (quite usefull on links recovery) that way ur opponents UpB wont hit u. but ur Dair will hit em... thats what the guy on the vid does.

now, my questions:

took me quite a while to read all!!! the posts of the thread so finally im at the end of it and i have some questions.

1. what does SDI and ASDI mean and whats the difference, wich one should i use to edge tech? i think one of them is Smash DI but what is that? i mean u get better DI if u Smash the direction in the moment ur hit?

2. also wich one of those i have to use to edge tech? i normally stick to the wall and then UpB and press R when im getting close to edge. but then if i edge tech... i can not longer stick to the wall (Final destination, battlefield....) i heard i have to use smash DI ( answer question 1)

3. How can u talk to M2K, i need help with comboing ( i heard hes very techincal).

4. wtf is IMO??? =P

5. in order to ken combo shiek (i heard its pretty easy) i need to tiper right?.

6. having tons of problems against a link friend. HE keep spamming projectiles and when i get closer he grabs. and combo. (we always pick FInal destination, i know he has advantage cuz i own him on battlefield) but still i want to beat him on FD alot more than he beats me.

P.S: this is me playing http://youtube.com/watch?v=BYG_vRvPfYs

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=97603

1. Your particular question for DI is in the DI, CC, and Teching Guide. I linked this in case you have any other questions.

2.You can use both ASDI and SDI to ledge tech.

3. You can find him on aim I'm sure, but you really don't need him to help you with comboing. The only way you will get good at that is practice and general knowledge. General knowledge can be found throughout these forums and on videos. It's still up to you to pick them up and use them.

4. IMO = In my opinion IMHO = in my honest opinion

5. Depends on percentage as with every ken combo. Higher % you don't want to tipper, lower % you will.

6. You can normally swat out most of Links aerials but your not going to win the battle unless you can stay close to him. In my experience, as long as you can shffl correctly link can't really grab you. You can short hop before he can even get the throw out. Link's grab will grab from behind him as well so you can't fair to dash behind (you'll also eat an upB like that). Empty shffls to grab, empty sh to double jump to draw out the shield grabs also work. But as long as you shffl correctly he really can't get the grab out against the fair or nair before you can roll, spotdodge or jump again.

thebluedeath1000

Smash Champion
I'm really getting annoyed at people who keep saying they can't short hop or l-cancel or waveadash or other very simple techs. We cannot tell you anything mind blowing such as theres an easy button on the back of your controller, you have to practice and practice, nothing more.

Shorthopping: Light and fast pressing of the jump button(s) or gently flicking the motion stick up.

thats all there is to give for short hopping.

whatwhatwhatwhatwhat

Smash Apprentice
1. The usefulness of the DB depends on what kind of opponent you're fighting. Generally, the first two hits are used to pop up floaties for comboing (depending on percent, of course) and the hits after are for comboing fastfallers (also depends on percent.) It can also be used as a jab. For more, read this:

http://smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=2100462&postcount=9

2. There's really nothing much to say except practice. Just get into the rhythm of it. Hit, wait a millisecond, hit, wait a millisecond, and so on.

Nike.

Smash Hero
dang peachcanfly, you got bluedeathed! okay:

on chaingrabbing, I always seem to get shined about 30% whenever fox DI's up/down. Any way around this? I thought if you can see it coming to shield the shine and jump out of the shield for an ariel since the fox's natural reaction is to jump right after his shine. Other than that, I got nothing, so is there some other way to counter this?

balladechina212

Smash Ace
dang peachcanfly, you got bluedeathed! okay:

on chaingrabbing, I always seem to get shined about 30% whenever fox DI's up/down. Any way around this? I thought if you can see it coming to shield the shine and jump out of the shield for an ariel since the fox's natural reaction is to jump right after his shine. Other than that, I got nothing, so is there some other way to counter this?
I'm not sure on this so correct me if I'm wrong:

If you pivot grab fast enough around 20-30% when Fox DI's up/down/no DI, you should be able to grab them. For example, look here: http://youtube.com/watch?v=843AovFJg-I Ken does it at 00:35.

Otherwise, do what you said to do (jump aerial after shield) until they stop shining, then go back to grabbing.

Gian

Smash Apprentice
I'm not sure on this so correct me if I'm wrong:

If you pivot grab fast enough around 20-30% when Fox DI's up/down/no DI, you should be able to grab them. For example, look here: http://youtube.com/watch?v=843AovFJg-I Ken does it at 00:35.

Otherwise, do what you said to do (jump aerial after shield) until they stop shining, then go back to grabbing.
omg sweet kill by ken, m2k could't do anything :p

thebluedeath1000

Smash Champion
Cactuar, you don't dislike me, you just want to prove me wrong.

We used to talk for hours...till I wasn't bored anymore.

Edit: now that I think of it, you wouldn't count anyway, due to the fact you're a cactus, you're void due to that...you're a plant, not a person.

thebluedeath1000

Smash Champion
I'm not fake -.-

I didn't realize someone else had the same name, its a nickname of mine since 10 after a faithful halloween night.

but you're right aesir..Mostly everyone loves me...despite you never did take me to that dinner

and no worries..that cactus is good..besides, I hear if you beat him, he sprays you with needles.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
I have a question.

What is the best way to DI Captain Falcon's d-throw? I normally DI up to try to survive a knee. Is this a bad thing?

Any advice on the match-up in general would be well apreciated

Johnny Christ

Smash Rookie
What exactly is a Mindgame. I seem to have trouble differentiating between the mindgames and approach.

An example of what I do is dash, wavedash back, short hop, waveland back, attack.

PeachCanFly

Smash Rookie
Guys, I dont get this at all..

Im supposed to Fair nair dair uair and stuf aye? yea so why are people telling me to only do that? I DONT GET IT people keep saying dont listen to what other people say but then i dont do this SHFFL crap and everyones liek WHAT THE HELL YOUR DOING IT WRONG.

my only problem is i cant L cancel\FF consitantly.. should I keep trying to SHFFL? and use normal c stick atks and wave dashing and stuff.

Or go back to shiek and fight like i used to ( wich i could beat lvl 9s with ) but right now with marth.. like this shffl way i can only beat lvl 4... i wish i was better at this

I really wanna get good for when my cousin comes but.. IDK.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
@PeachCanFly-basically you need to be able to SHFFL consistently and it should be what you do for the majority of the time. However, you should also be aware of your ground attacks and when to use them.

Practice the aspects of SHFLing seperately until you feel comfortable with each part, then put it together.

Now since my question was on the last page and will likely never be seen from there I'll ask again.

What is the best way to DI Captain Falcon's d-throw? I normally DI up to try to survive a knee. Is this a bad thing?

Any advice on the match-up in general would be well apreciated

Aesir

Smash Master
DI down and away since falcon can just combo you if you're DI'ing up, if he goes fora knee quickly hold up and toward the stage.

general tips in this match up? Space lol

Salaad

Smash Ace
Why does my Nair keep missing?!?!

I basically use Nair the most to get some dmg before i Fair, Bair and Dair. xD

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
peachcanfly..i have trouble understanding what you're asking..but yes you need to shffl and yes you need to use ground moves too...as for comp play...anything above lvl 3 is pointless to practice against...you basically only play comps for combo practice.

2nd beating lvl 9 comps means nothing..i can do it with marth fox and falco with my eyes closed...just spam fsmash like mad in circles..maybe dashdance a bit too..just don't go too far or you'll fall off...but ya in general this works even against lvl 9 marth..which technically i guess is the hardest lvl 9 if you're going to try to fight normally against it..honestly you can just dashdance in and out and punish lvl 9's endlessly...the computer has never heard of the word "feint"

ooh for once i have a question..it's been a while..so diing marth's uptilt..i was thinking about it..and diing away doesn't usually work..in general it just makes you hang there setting up for tippers and who knows what else...(i'm not sure if this is true for every char weight) but anyways, no di means that you move back inwards towards marth slightly..and diing inwards is usually best at least at higher damage because you can di past marth and recover (should you di it slightly up as well to try to get some extra height?) as in the famous point in the marth chaingrab where the fox player gets a chance to tech though you can follow up with regrab or dash attack.

anyways, besides my questions above...i'm actually more curious about at low percentage..what should one do in terms of di.

I was watching this vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIpPiRkZlHY&mode=related&search=

and it was kinda painful. away doesn't seem to work...maybe if you diied in and down you could get close enough to marth so the second tilt won't sweetspot? but what is marth likely to do then? will he switch up to a different move like fsmash seeing you get in closer..well or more likely dtilt or just grab. and even assuming the player getting uptilt comboed does manage to land..from a nonsweetspotted uptilt..will he have time to roll away or do anything before the marth can regrab?.. or maybe marth will still be in the uptilt and the other player can grab first...honestly i don't know..but i'm curious

Brightside6382

Smash Lord
Why does my Nair keep missing?!?!

I basically use Nair the most to get some dmg before i Fair, Bair and Dair. xD
Generally if you do a nair and your opponent isn't inside the hit boxes no damage will be done. I'm still trying to get around this myself, I find that being close to my opponent while I do a nair gives the best results.

Gian

Smash Apprentice
Generally if you do a nair and your opponent isn't inside the hit boxes no damage will be done. I'm still trying to get around this myself, I find that being close to my opponent while I do a nair gives the best results.
LMAO!!!!!!!!!!

Salaad

Smash Ace
It's not that...I'm REALLY close to the opponent, but it won't hit. -_-

When I watch Ken play, he usually does a normal jump and two Fairs. SH Fair or Reg. jump Fairs? Which one should I be doing?

Gian

Smash Apprentice
Question....

ok i have a question about DI and edge tech Di (yes i read the DI thread but still i dony understand quite well)

so, if i wanna edge tech (Marth.. obviously) i use ASDI with C- stick facing plataform (i press this + R/L 20 frames before ok.. thats easy on marth upB) then.. (i already pressed R and im holding C-stick towards stage). i have to SDI with control stick asap when i get hit?

i really need this please help =P

Gian

Smash Apprentice
u do have when u have more dmg, and when a certian attk sents u totaly horizontal so u dont touch edge, thats y im asking

Randizzle

Smash Ace
sometimes you have to SDI sometimes and sometimes you don't. It all depends on how far away you are when you get hit. The farther away you are, the more you'll need to SDI to get the tech. When you're really close, you don't need to SDI, all you need is to press r/l

Gian

Smash Apprentice
ok, but still, should i do it all the time just in case? that way i will get used to doing it ....

also the SDI has to be before they hit u, whne they hit u or after the hit u?

balladechina212

Smash Ace
This question came up because bluedeath and I disagreed on it:

He insisted that Emblem Lord said that a Marth cannot lightshield edgehog another Marth. It's always worked for me and I've seen many other people pull it off. Please explain why it doesn't work.

Gian

Smash Apprentice
ok i have a question about DI and edge tech Di (yes i read the DI thread but still i dony understand quite well)

so, if i wanna edge tech (Marth.. obviously) i use ASDI with C- stick facing plataform (i press this + R/L 20 frames before ok.. thats easy on marth upB) then.. (i already pressed R and im holding C-stick towards stage). i have to SDI with control stick asap when i get hit?

i really need this please help =P
sometimes you have to SDI sometimes and sometimes you don't. It all depends on how far away you are when you get hit. The farther away you are, the more you'll need to SDI to get the tech. When you're really close, you don't need to SDI, all you need is to press r/l
ok, but still, should i do it all the time just in case? that way i will get used to doing it ....

also the SDI has to be before they hit u, whne they hit u or after the hit u?
Please i really need this question answered. :(

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
Smash DI is done during the frames of the hit, some moves like Samus' fully charged shot have something around 18 frames where you can smash DI in. Other moves have shorter frames to smash DI. So smash DI is done right when you are hit, with the control stick. And yes you should do it all the time, regardless of if you need it or not AS LONG AS you plan on edgeteching at that time.

As for the Marth lightshield, It work's if the other Marth doesn't sweetspot. You may be able to lightshield then fastfall the hit to edgehog possibly. But I know for a fact if you sweetspot perfectly normal lightshield hog in Marth vs Marth does not work. The upBing Marth will grab the ledge first.

Randizzle

Smash Ace
right, SDI takes place during hitlag which varies with different attacks. You should always try to do it regardless of wether or not you need it since I don't think it ever hurts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom