• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth Q&A-Ask your questions here!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gian

Smash Apprentice
Smash DI is done during the frames of the hit, some moves like Samus' fully charged shot have something around 18 frames where you can smash DI in. Other moves have shorter frames to smash DI. So smash DI is done right when you are hit, with the control stick. And yes you should do it all the time, regardless of if you need it or not AS LONG AS you plan on edgeteching at that time. .
and still i should Automatic DI right? With the c-stick while i smash DI with control stick.????

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
As long as you remember that you need to upB before you can use the C-stick to ASDI (Or else you will just fair and fall to your death before upBing). Personally though I been able to smash DI ledgetech most attacks with the control stick alone. But for the extra smidge of power the c-stick will do it.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
you only need to use the control stick to edgetech. ASDI occurs from either the control stick or the c-stick with the c-stick having priority..so basically..to maximize your edgeteching you upb then hit L a few frames before the top....smash DI as you react to getting hit (it's not so much reaction time as anticipation i've concluded), then keep holding the stick in the right direction in order to get the ASDI at the end. Also you can get an extra input if you wanna try fancy by doing an arc with the control stick from like 4oclock to 2 oclock or whatnot..have to bring it back down in time to 3oclock i think or you end up walljumping.

still no answer to my question though

pockyD

Smash Legend
it couldn't hurt ;) but usually it won't affect you by much unless you barely survive or are going for the tech

also anyone can light-shield edgehog marth; shields work the same for everyone

except maybe game-and-watch lol :(

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
PockyD you are mistaken, while you can still lightshield drop from Marth's UpB as Marth. If you sweetspot with Marth the UpB Marth will grab the ledge first. Try it if you don't believe me. I've done this too many times for it to be luck. Fast fallers (and characters that fall faster than Marth does) can grab the ledge first since they fall faster than he does. So in my experience not sweetspotted Marth V. Marth works, sweetspotted doesn't work.

pockyD

Smash Legend
you could always time a fast-fall in there though (the same way some people fast fall their wavedash->edgehogs)

not necessarily worth the effort but it's out there

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
pockyD is incorrect. The fast fall won't happen quick enough for Marth to grab the ledge. The sweetspotting Marth will grab the ledge safely.

balladechina212

Smash Ace
Yeah, I thought if you held the shield correctly you would fastfall to the edge. So it only doesn't work if they have "perfect" sweetspots?

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
Yes, after testing this the UpBing Marth needs to be extremely close to a perfect sweetspot to not get light shield edgehogged. I'm not saying it doesn't work, but if a Marth recovering observes the light shield and sweetspots you won't get him with it.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
What characters does the light shield edgehog work with? Until now I was under the impression that it only works with Fox, Falco, and Captain Falcon because they need to fall to the ledge between when Marth's sword reaches them and Marth reaching the ledge.

pockyD

Smash Legend
if it doesn't work, then there's a nasty mindgame in there if you can control your wd out of shield on the edge well enough to grab the edge and not sd o_o

Sensei

Smash Lord
My Marth is amazing pretty much. I've developed some new tactics with him. I challenge you, Emblem Lord, to a Marth Duel! If not, thats cool, no biggie.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
You challenge me to a Marth ditto? Like the ones we have every 3 or 4 days?

Sure, why not. >_>

FrostByte

Smash Lord
If Marth sweetspots the edge almost perfectly, Falcon won't be able to edgehog him. I know because it's happened to be before, and I fell fast like a fast faller; to my doom.

Nike.

Smash Hero
Okay, I gots a question *raises hand*:

during a (I keep forgettng the abbreviation) 2 f-air short hop, is there enough time to make the second f-air a shield breaker. I wanna see if it'll suprise someone who thinks they can shield grab you because you screwed up at spacing.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
seems my old n00bish question wasn't answer..i'll test it myself sometimes...anyways, new question...fox's shine to upsmash combo..is it a true combo on marth? or is the timing really tight? because oftentimes i see a fox ends up upsmashing a shield instead..though the knockback prevents a grab ( see here 1:39 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ca8gR6NqVc&mode=related&search=)

did the fox mess up or what? usually i get my upsmash..but i was curious...the shine's damage isn't affected by damage so it can't be that

question 2: shieldbreaker's hitbox..it hits more above you than the fair right? but even so it's almost always better to use the fair or upair instead right? except off stage charging it etc...or egdeguarding if you don't think it likely to tipper the fox....actually when do you use the shieldbreaker to edgeguard..i don't really use it..though i probably should.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Shieldbreaker is usually used when you want to jump off the stage for some aggressive edgeguarding.

And Fox has no true shine combos on Marth except when there is a wall present. Marth slides too far, even when Marth doesn't DI the shine. Marth has enough time to spot dodge or shield if the Fox is slow. If Marth DOES DI the shine away, then he will have enough time to respond with pretty much w/e he wants if Fox tries to chase him down.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
I have a question on general tech chase theory with Marth. For some reason I tech chase much better with shiek,falcon, fox, dr. mario, etc. than I do with my main Marth! I don't really understand it and I really need to improve my game in tech chase knowledge.

I basically want to know how you would set up if:

A: you do a dthrow so that the other play is going to land on the edge of the stage (not hanging on edge). Do you get in Fsmash range? Do a stall?

B. They are on the ground near you. How do you approach, stand, and what options do you use for various techs? This can be pretty general, but I would like to have a strong sense of what I should be looking for and best options for various techs.

This may be too general but I'm basically looking for a strong tech chase game with Marth. I just find myself not following up as well as I could be sometimes.

balladechina212

Smash Ace
Wait, Emblem Lord, are you saying that Marth can get out of the drillshine --> wavedash --> grab "combo?" So if I DI the shine away, I can avoid getting grabbed?

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
You could get out of it even if you didn't DI. Just spot dodge. Most likely Fox will shine again after he misses the grab and then you can just DI away from that second shine.

Make sure to buffer the spot dodge.

I thought this was common knowledge. >_>

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
If Marth DI's away then Fox can't do anything at all as a follow up. If he tries Marth can hit him first and do w/e.

I suppose he could grab Fox too, although I haven't tried it. I usually DI away and then I u-tilt to combo or grab.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
It works. Trust me. Make sure you are holding away when you expect to get shined.

It definitely works if Marth DI's away.

Randizzle

Smash Ace
short hop, foward air, then foward air again. just keep practicing. learn the timing. Trying using Z if A doesn't work for you. Eventually, you'll want to learn to do it with c-stick. There's nothing to this other than lots of practice.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
well i knew i could do it if i diied the shine..i most definitely did not realize i had time to spot dodge even without di (to be fair i am the only decent fox player in my group..my space animal friend is good with falco but his fox is no longer on par with mine..i did get to play a decent fox at a recent tourney though)

...from what i heard on teh fox forums i thought that wasn't true.. they said that the hit stun continues even though marth is out of range..so the fox has time to run up and grab..maybe it's just really close timing so that only a frame perfect wavedash +dash grab would catch marth in time? or maybe i just heard the fox people wrong.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Yeah, they have to be perfect with the wavedash outta shine and thier timing has to be spot on. But with DI there is nothing Fox can do and it's so easy to tell when Fox is going to shine of you just pay attention.

Without DI they could still catch you, but it's hard. With DI though Marth can't be touched.

Fox has no true combos on Marth really without walls. And even then you could just wall tech the up smash after a wallshine infinite. His other combos on Marth are usually going to be for small damage around 30% or so. Marth can easily do upwards of 70% to death combos on Fox.

So in terms of combos, Marth has it over Fox in this match-up. No contest.

Aesir

Smash Master
since you can ledge tech anything that gives you hit stun, is it possible to tech the shine? when shine spiked that is.

like lets say fox is at low damage, and ccs you when you're recovering your sweet spotting is a bit off and he shines cause he's a ******, could you possible tech it? o_O

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
I know Falco can and other characters that normally get knocked down on hit, but no I don't think Marth can tech it because he doesn't recieve "hard" knockback from the shine. He gets just enough to get pushed back, but he doesn't get slammed away like Falco does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom