• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth Q&A-Ask your questions here!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yum_Cha

Smash Apprentice
Don't know if someone asked this already, but if I fair, LC into up tilt, can I get shield grab in terms of frames. I heard their is like a 2 frame period or something where you can grab them between the landing and up tilt, of course you have to add human response time and such.

I hear it's pretty safe, but some of the people I played against, I shield grabbed them before the up tilt, but I'm not sure he LCed.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
I'm fairly certain that you can be shield grabbed before the u-tilt comes out.

I would just dash or roll after a shuffled aerial. Roll if you just want to get away. Dash so that you can stay on offense. from a dash you can pivot grab or do another shuffled aerial.

Johnny Christ

Smash Rookie
What would be a good way to practice edgeguarding/edge hogging. I have no problem with space animals but with everyone else I'm mediocre.

Adi

Smash Lord
Each character requires different strategies for edgehogging/edgeguarding, which character in particular do you have trouble with.

Keta

Smash Journeyman
Don't know if someone asked this already, but if I fair, LC into up tilt, can I get shield grab in terms of frames. I heard their is like a 2 frame period or something where you can grab them between the landing and up tilt, of course you have to add human response time and such.

I hear it's pretty safe, but some of the people I played against, I shield grabbed them before the up tilt, but I'm not sure he LCed.
Marth's utilt comes out on the 6th frame. Most grabs come out on the 7th frame. So, yeah, you could get shieldgrabbed... but probably not too often before the utilt.

Your enemy could easily wait until after the utilt and grab then, though. You're left open for about 33 frames if they block the utilt.

Ryan-K

Smash Master
When they lightshield edgehog and you are close to them, I usually nair and it hits them into the stage or into the ledge. Is this even supposed to work?

Salaad

Smash Ace
How do I counter Fox?
I get caught up in combos a lot. The guy I play DashA's back and forth and gets me in combos, and the only way I can get out is using counter.
He also almost always gets his attacks in first before I can get in an Aerial...

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
Really can't give you any specific advice on beating fox unless you have vids. Other wise use the search function as there are/were plenty of fox fighting threads, and watch pro marth vs fox vids on youtube.

Salaad

Smash Ace
The problem is, the guy I play can't WD..he uses a lot of A attacks and smash attacks basically. so if I try to create some spacing, he dash after me, and usually gets his hit in before mine. >.<

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
You can shield grab a dash attack if your fast enough. Just dash dance alot to grabs and if he only chases you, should be easy enough to hit him with fairs.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
Can someone give me tips on how to do Ledge hop nair?
I keep falling.
Practice ledgehopping and regrabbing the edge. Go into practice mode and put a maxim tomato near the edge. When you ledgehop there is a part where Marth's head is sideways. If at that part Marth's head is above the tomato that means your ledgehopping high enough. The trick is to ledgehop as fast as possible hit A or Z ) so that you don't even see your 2nd jump just that puddle animation. After this you should be DIing forward back onto the stage.

I should also point out that you don't need to L-cancel this unless you fastfall extremely close to the edge or delay the nair. It will auto-cancel if you DI forward a little bit. Since the ledgehop nair hits low as well you don't really need to fastfall it either. By the time the second nair hits and auto-cancels your really low to the ground already.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
When they lightshield edgehog and you are close to them, I usually nair and it hits them into the stage or into the ledge. Is this even supposed to work?
If they lightshield and DI in the shield Off the stage any hit you do will pretty much knock them off and have them edgehog. If your saying your nair does:

1st hit : hits them off so they are GOING to edgehog
2nd hit: hits them before the edgehog and into the stage or makes them fall.

Is this what your saying happens? If so I'm going to need to test this.

Ryan-K

Smash Master
Yes it is and I was wondering if it was foolproof, and I would rather hit them off and get a free hit rather than just return to the ledge and still have to get back on stage.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
one important thing to note that few players use in terms of distance inwards on the stage you can get a ledgehopped aerial, is that you will jump farther right if you are holding inwards on the stick as you press the jump button. Most players don't bother though, it's just a trick to get extra range..learned about it in one of magus's posts...i mainly find it useful with people who fall faster like ganon..makes his upair on a little easier...also makes roy's nair on a lot easier

sorry i have some n00b questions..but man i can't stand summer...no one to play..i'm forgetting things i know

anyways, two DI questions

marths' upthrow at 8-9% which way should you di? i've seen it done both in and out to jump out. do both work with full DI or was the player in question just two slow.

also..mew2king likes to uptilt a fox/falco on a platform to spike a lot in late matches...

i always thought you just DI'ed in and down like usual, but some people said you are supposed to just DI down..which is it if you want to avoid the uptilt to spike...also is that spike full jumped i guess? if you just DI'd down wouldn't you be in range for a sh spike?

Salaad

Smash Ace
When I Fair or Nair, they get hit to the ground and I have to wait for them. This messes up my flow. What should I do?

br!t

Smash Rookie
Hey, this might be kind of a n00by question, but I'm pretty new to advanced play... Anyway, what is the best way to learn how to double-SH fair with Marth, I've been playing him for a while now, and I just can't seem to get the hang of it... Is there an easy way to do it that I'm missing, or are my thumbs just too slow?

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
No easy way. You can do A -> A for both fairs, A -> cstick, Z -> cstick, c-stick -> cstick, etc. Whatever floats your boat. If anything try to learn to do the second fair with the c-stick as it allows you more DI options. One thing to remember is you can't spam the second fair and hope it comes out. You need to wait for Marth's arm to retract before you can fair again. Learn the timing for both fairs, don't try to do it by spamming.

br!t

Smash Rookie
Ok, thanks, I have been just mashing the c-stick and hoping that I'll get the second fair off, I'll try to time it better... Good idea with using the Z button too, I forgot about that. Maybe that will give my thumb time to get down to the c-stick... Thanks a lot!

Imperial Wraith

Smash Journeyman
I was just wondering, is this a decent approach? I don't really see many pros do it, and I belive its only slightly more punishable than a well spaced fair. The approach I'm talking about is a cross shffld nair. It seems as you only have 7 frames of lag after its L-canceled, you could dash dance out of it to a grab before they could SH bair or something, due to the shieldstun.

Are there any cons to this approach I'm missing (asside from overuse)? Because I might start implementing it into my game.

FrostByte

Smash Lord
It's a good approach, especially against characters who don't cover their rear easily out of sheild (Sheik, Marth). Also, get yourself to a London tourney :p

Imperial Wraith

Smash Journeyman
Lol thanks for the quick reply xD. I'm checking the London thread, and some of my friends are interested too :). There's gonna be a big one in november/decemeber I think i've heard somewhere :p. Ill definantly try to go to that. Also, me and mymates may host one in SE london. Were deciding the venue, and if it looks good I think we'll have it :). I'll Keep ya posted.

Protoguy

Smash Cadet
I'm a very new smash player (only two months), and I have been having a hard time getting my SHFFLs down...Should my attack be released on the way up or down?

Thanks.

EDIT: Oh, and what can I do to avoid fast-falling when spiking people? (I keep killing myself with that...<_<)

Thanks again.

Imperial Wraith

Smash Journeyman
Ekkk, this is ANOTHER question about SHDFing. I can do it perfectly, but it seems I can only L-Cancel 1 in about 20 O.o. Its really odd, but when I dash into it, I can almost never get this second fair out if I press L a fraction later to cancel it. I don't know why.

Is this just me, or am I missing something O.o. I guess I should just practise more.

Synyster

Smash Rookie
Is there any decent way to practice spiking? Right now, I just go into training mode, set comp. damage slightly high, forward smash him off, and then try and jump out to spike. I'm trying to learn to spike Fox/Falco, but sadly the comp. only uses firefox and not the illusion.

capncone

Smash Apprentice
Is there any decent way to practice spiking? Right now, I just go into training mode, set comp. damage slightly high, forward smash him off, and then try and jump out to spike. I'm trying to learn to spike Fox/Falco, but sadly the comp. only uses firefox and not the illusion.
If you play a lot of friendlies, you can practice by just trying it almost every opportunity you get. You'll probably die a lot, but you'll get the feel of it down, and it's friendlies so it doesn't really matter.

Corax

Smash Cadet
On the matter of spikes, I'd rather just use them at the most convenient times possible for a low percent KO.
Like if your near the edge and your fighting an over excited (or stressed out) sheik. Then you can do a down throw, follow what he does. If he DIs toward you or double jumps, then you can shffl dair (stationary) and the back part of the dair will spike him. If he doesn't then just edge hog.
>.> although, knowing when to recognize spike moments is incredibly important either way.

Imperial Wraith

Smash Journeyman
Ekkk, this is ANOTHER question about SHDFing. I can do it perfectly, but it seems I can only L-Cancel 1 in about 20 O.o. Its really odd, but when I dash into it, I can almost never get this second fair out if I press L a fraction later to cancel it. I don't know why.

Is this just me, or am I missing something O.o. I guess I should just practise more.
Please answer someone :) :urg:

Nike.

Smash Hero
Yea, that avatar is kinda annoying now lol

So a n00b question:

Is there anything marth can do that's banned from ANY tourney
I feel like being cheap:p

lillight3

Smash Apprentice
does anyone know the best way to DI out of the Ice climber chain throws?

more specifically the one where popo downthrows and nana short hops and d-airs and then grabs again doing the same thing

Schweppes

Smash Ace
Nike- No, nothing Marth can do is banned...chaingrabbing might be banned at nubby tourneys, but that's why they're nubby.

Lillight- I think the best way to get out of that is to DI down and buffer a roll (meaning that you hold down L/R with the C-stick in the direction you want to roll, which lets you automatically roll on the soonest possible frame). Probably a better question for the IC board.

lillight3

Smash Apprentice
i figured it would have made more sense to put this in the ice climber section. but then i thought they wouldnt want marth users knowing what to do against them cause they want to be able to beat them. haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom