• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth on the Ledge: Traps Against You and Your Opponent

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Excellent thread. Most people don't even measure the options they have from the ledge or to keep their opponent on the ledge.

Mario boards need a Steel2nd :(

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
But they don't use pretty pictures, lol

Judge or Hero's probably closest...I'm too lazy

Inle~Orichas

Smash Journeyman
Very nice thread.

I never thought that Marth had such a problem getting back onto the stage seeing as he has so many options to stall on the ledge until this thread broke it down to facts.

One thing I'd like to see is a very detailed description of what Marth can do to guard the opponent from getting on the stage. I wonder just how many options Marth has, and which one generally covers most of the methods your opponent will use to make it all the more difficult for you to keep him off the stage.

I can guess that simply shielding at the last moment leaves you able to do a variety of things, but I'd like to see what other people have in mind.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Very nice thread.

I never thought that Marth had such a problem getting back onto the stage seeing as he has so many options to stall on the ledge until this thread broke it down to facts.
If you play gay and plank it's not that hard to get on.

En.Ee.Oh

Smash Champion
wow @ the girl in take's sig, annoyingly cute

id **** her violently

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
what you all said about takes sig o_O

****, one of the cutest asians i've seen

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Asian women are just traps. Learn to use them against your opponent. Keeping them subdued will allow you to 1-up them accordingly.

Jono!

Smash Journeyman
For on the ledge, I would recommend a DJ nair then roll behind, then begin spacing.
For ledge guarding I find giving falcos a hard time to decide whether to phantasm or roll is the best option. For mostly all characters all Id do is stand just outside ledge attack range and just inside roll range, facing the opposite side of the ledge on a stage with a platform above e.g BF. If your versing someone who finds it hard to grab onto the ledge fsmash and dtilts are best for edgeguarding and I would highly recommend that you dont keep fairing them away from the stage unless at high %, because this will give them a higher oppurtunity to recover.

SmashLumpy

Smash Rookie
This is really helpful for someone like me who is worst at the ledge with any character.Thanks!

Dogg/Naoki/Suzaku

Smash Apprentice
If you want to space at the edge you can release the ledge and fair for a little space. It can get predictable if you use it too often and your opponent can edge-hog you. Just helping out ^^

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
If you want to space at the edge you can release the ledge and fair for a little space. It can get predictable if you use it too often and your opponent can edge-hog you. Just helping out ^^
Thats like the 39th time its been mentioned

Orion*

Smash Researcher
If MK is recovering to the stage, and initiates a glide, please jump at him and counter. He must glide attack you.
or you just cancel the glide attack, and then nair you or w/e after the counter animation is done. i remember i kept doing this to you in a friendly and you was confuzzled v_v

but friendlies are friendlies lmfao. trolling the marth boards is interesting. you guys get more done than allot of others.

Sam3231

Smash Rookie
I didn't notice it being mentioned so I would like to add this tid bit concerning Marth vs MK on the ledge.

if marth gets to the very end of the stage and rolls backwards, it gives him the right spacing to cover 2 of mk's options for getting back on the stage -

one being the "climbing up from the ledge attack" which he will whiff and then you can then hit him tippered fsmash. :)

the other being the "roll onto the stage climb" which he will do that roll after climbing from the ledge thing and you can then hit him with untipped fsmash/dsmash. (Other options may work as well)

Correct me if im wrong but I believe these work indefinately on mk and on flat stages - not sure about the rest of the cast/stages. Obviously a smart mk player knows they can still either just standard climb up or jump from the ledge - but at least your somewhat limiting them. Plus if you can bait them into trying the climb up attack - they are in for some epic punishment.

(like stand/land/spot dodge at edge -> roll back to avoid climb up from ledge attack -> fsmash tipped -> mk *****)

BobSmith006

Smash Cadet
A couple things I like to do from the ledge: pop down, jump, do the first 2 or 3 Dancing Blade attacks (not allowing myself back on stage, but falling straight down), then Dolphin Slash back up to the edge. Or pop down, jump, then use Shieldbreaker. It moves you forward enough that you'll just barely land on stage. I think it'd be kind of a surprise too.

*shrugs* Meh. Maybe they're just stupid options and I'm an idiot. I don't know.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
A couple things I like to do from the ledge: pop down, jump, do the first 2 or 3 Dancing Blade attacks (not allowing myself back on stage, but falling straight down), then Dolphin Slash back up to the edge. Or pop down, jump, then use Shieldbreaker. It moves you forward enough that you'll just barely land on stage. I think it'd be kind of a surprise too.

*shrugs* Meh. Maybe they're just stupid options and I'm an idiot. I don't know.
Those really aren't safe, I'm surprised you don't get gimped or stage spiked 0.o

Bouse

Smash Ace
I've found Ledge-hopped counters to be semi-useful, in both edge-guarding and recovering. Randomly when you Ledge-hop them it'll also send them behind you, reversing the situation. Oh, and slightly offtopic, does anyone have the link for the Marth throw %'s to true combos thread? Kefka-Marth needs moar Fsmashes.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
This really isn't a position any Marth wants to be in. Marth is one of the worst characters on the ledge because his options are so limited. Each option he has can be punished. Your opponent doesn't even have to predict you, depending on the character he could just stand there and react to whatever you do.
Please remove or alter the second of these sentences. It's absurdly untrue.

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
ive found that people will sometimes get really aggressive when I'm on the ledge, so I can:
backtap> Y (jump)> Down+B> DS ledge sweetspot. Mind you: this should never be done on your first time on the ledge against a new opponent. try some of the strats already listed here and notice your opponent's tendancies before doing something so punishable. But if it's successful, you will have space to breathe and recover.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
Because he has Ness bias obviously.
Ness bias is probably the reason I'm here saying anything about it.

It's not the reason I disbelieve the claim.

Let's list characters in a similar or worse position to Marth: Link, Ness, Olimar, and Ivysaur. Not many.

It's when you allow the argument "x has so few options and every option can be punished" that you can call the same for any of Diddy, Charizard, Zelda, Ike, and even Game & Watch. I don't want to speak beyond my ken but I can see that property applying to Snake, Ice Climbers, and I'll bet Yoshi.

Self-identifying as "one of the worst" when you always have (a) ledgestalling with Dolphin slash, and (b) Fair, reflects a.... an expectation that you were somehow supposed to be better off, that just makes Marth boards look like whiners.

You've got some of the nicer things available to you among the characters that don't have a special maneuver (or ranged attack) they can perform from the ledge. Characters that strike me as being strong much in this way are Lucario and Pikachu, but that's it. It happens that many characters can do something special from the ledge (e.g. shoot onstage quickly, fly, float), but not so many that everyone else is each "one of the worst."
Not unless you remove "x has an unpunishable ledge option" from the requirements for being 'one of the better', and accept Marth has a pretty good cut, along with everyone else who has decent tools there.

Top Bottom