• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth on the Ledge: Traps Against You and Your Opponent

Gnace

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the guide Steel. Adding some pictures really made it easier to understand.

Odigo

Smash Apprentice
I hate Marth on the ledge, he sucks so hard >.<

Steel, maybe put more emphasis on jabbing Falco's phantasm (I actually just found this out -_-) and doing dolphin slash out of shield on ledge attacks? DS OoS is a great defensive->offensive tactic which can be ideal in these situations. And I know counter isn't very reliable, easily punished, and there are better options but still maybe mention countering ledge attacks, just for the sake of it being an option?

The first half (Marth on the ledge) didn't so much talk about safely getting back on stage as much as, "If you do this, this is what'll happen and you're screwed". Ledge hopping to fair, nair, or uair can work well if you can space it right. At higher %'s, if you ledge hop and land an uair you have time to safely get back on stage and put yourself in a good position to start following up with utilts or more uairs.

On a more specific note, sometimes when an Ike tries to edgeguard me with Eruption I drop down or ledge hop and space myself right so I can dolphin slash straight into his face and not sweetspot the ledge. The invincibility frames can save you from Eruption and 1 of 3 things can happen:

1) he gets dolphin slashed in the face and you have time to get on stage
2) you miss and get punished by Ike (terrible thing to have happen)
3) you don't space it right and simply grab the ledge again and regain your initial invincibility frames.

I'm not saying these are completely safe things that you should try doing constantly. These are just some options for some situations that can work every now and then when your opponent isn't expecting it.

o.O
just a couple thoughts.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
I hate Marth on the ledge, he sucks so hard >.<

Steel, maybe put more emphasis on jabbing Falco's phantasm (I actually just found this out -_-)

I had this in there didn't I?

and doing dolphin slash out of shield on ledge attacks? DS OoS is a great defensive->offensive tactic which can be ideal in these situations. And I know counter isn't very reliable, easily punished, and there are better options but still maybe mention countering ledge attacks, just for the sake of it being an option?

I believe this was the last thing I mentioned.

The first half (Marth on the ledge) didn't so much talk about safely getting back on stage as much as, "If you do this, this is what'll happen and you're screwed". Ledge hopping to fair, nair, or uair can work well if you can space it right. At higher %'s, if you ledge hop and land an uair you have time to safely get back on stage and put yourself in a good position to start following up with utilts or more uairs.

This is because Marth simply sucks on the ledge. You have to out think your opponent. I can't give you any "do this to for sure get on the ledge." I also stated I'm not going to give you every option. I'm sure people can figure stuff out on their own, right?

On a more specific note, sometimes when an Ike tries to edgeguard me with Eruption I drop down or ledge hop and space myself right so I can dolphin slash straight into his face and not sweetspot the ledge. The invincibility frames can save you from Eruption and 1 of 3 things can happen:

1) he gets dolphin slashed in the face and you have time to get on stage
2) you miss and get punished by Ike (terrible thing to have happen)
3) you don't space it right and simply grab the ledge again and regain your initial invincibility frames.

I'm not saying these are completely safe things that you should try doing constantly. These are just some options for some situations that can work every now and then when your opponent isn't expecting it.

Not sure what you are trying to say here. Marth's invincible frames are gone once he shoots upwards. So if you want to rely on these invincible frames it sounds extremely risky.

o.O
just a couple thoughts.
comments in pink

Odigo

Smash Apprentice
Maybe I'm missing it but I don't see where you said to ds oos. I see the picture of Marth doing it but I don't think you said it.

Yeah, people can figure it out on their own and test out their own options to see what works for them but then what's the point of a guide like this? Like I said, you pretty much covered everything Marth can do ledge-wise, I'm just saying it might be useful to emphasize some things or make "obvious" statements for people who don't know.

And nvm about dolphin slashing eruption. I thought Marth had longer invincibility frames time-wise. I know it's the first 5 frames but I wasn't sure about where exactly he gets them. Guess it was always just bad timing for both me and Ike -_-

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Anyone else use the ledgedrop to fair? You strike about a foot past the ledge, and if it doesn't hit, it at least helps to clear the ledge for you to give you some breathing room.

Martselsoep

Smash Cadet
And what about the possibility of dropping down doing upB hitting the opponent while simultaniously grabbing the ledge.
Effect: the opponent will be knocked back, not much, but probably enough to make a more safer jump from the edge or something like that

Punishment Divine

Smash Champion
And what about the possibility of dropping down doing upB hitting the opponent while simultaniously grabbing the ledge.
Effect: the opponent will be knocked back, not much, but probably enough to make a more safer jump from the edge or something like that
That's another option. Chances are if you hit them with it, though, they weren't standing at a safe enough distance or shielding to limit your options, anyways. And then there's also the fact that it can degrade your UpB. Nevertheless, if it works it works

Also, yeah I use ledgedrop fair Bengalz. Mostly cause you can be invincible while you do it. I also use ledgedrop uair sometimes.

Blad01

Smash Lord
Marth can also Ftilt to FSmash the second part of Falco's Phantasm (the first part has invinvibility frames).

Odigo

Smash Apprentice
Anyone else use the ledgedrop to fair? You strike about a foot past the ledge, and if it doesn't hit, it at least helps to clear the ledge for you to give you some breathing room.
That's why I said it might be a good idea to include things like this Steel!

Marth can also Ftilt to FSmash the second part of Falco's Phantasm (the first part has invinvibility frames).
You can jab his phantasm. Just found this out and it works well for more setups cause of the low knockback. And typically jabbing someone can get them in range for a tipper fsmash or tilt. Jab hits on frame 4 while ftilt hits on 7 IIRC so if you're worried about speed then jab is the better choice but ftilt has more range. So your choice.

And then there's also the fact that it can degrade your UpB.
Dolphin Slash gets virtually all of its knockback after like 2 dancing blades, which every Marth should be abusing. So that's okay :bee:

Odigo

Smash Apprentice
Also, yeah I use ledgedrop fair Bengalz. Mostly cause you can be invincible while you do it. I also use ledgedrop uair sometimes.
Double post, just saw this.

Not really sure what this means. You don't get invincibility frames from ledge dropping? If timed and spaced wrong you can easily get edgeguarded.

feardragon64

Smash Champion
Odigo, firstly you don't get new invincibility frames from ledgedropping, but basically you grab the ledge and quickly ledgedrop before the frames run out.

Secondly, I understand why someone might double post to bump an old topic for a legitimate purpose. They might even double post if they started a new thread or something and want to have some reserved posts so that they can edit future information into it because it's some sort of compendium. But why on earth would you double post two minutes between posts? There is no point to that other than giving yourself a post count ++; Please use the edit button next time. I know it feels nice to see your post count go up, but it's just unnecessary clutter.

Cloud Cleaver

Smash Journeyman
Me = Three-day old Marthist.

This thread = helpful as Hell.

Thanks. ;)

Is there much use for the Shield Breaker out of a ledgehop? A lot of people like to shield the get-up attack, and this would suitably punish them, especially if you grabbed the edge again thereafter.

Punishment Divine

Smash Champion
no it wouldn't be of use because it will take to long or they will shield it
Uh dude...You kinda WANT them to shield it LOL

Yeah you could probably use it as an uber mixup, not to safe, though.

Also, if you drop away from the ledge and fair, you do an invincible, hitting through the stage fair. Very useful. and can just UpB back onto the ledge.

Darxmarth23

Smash Champion
Uh dude...You kinda WANT them to shield it LOL

Yeah you could probably use it as an uber mixup, not to safe, though.

Also, if you drop away from the ledge and fair, you do an invincible, hitting through the stage fair. Very useful. and can just UpB back onto the ledge.
you sir, are full of win

10fairs

takeurlife2

Smash Ace
i like to drop down and uair their shield, repeat, then it is usually low enough to drop down double jump into shield breaker.

i can pull this off about once a game vs someone ive never done it on before.

∫unk

Smash Master
practice against a smart player playing snake, dk, and mk.

everyone else's ledge traps are just weaker versions of what these guys can do to you.

TKD+ITA+Mar=

Smash Ace
Sorry for the bump, but I have a question/idea.

What I have found useful for ledge traps recently for stages without platforms near the edges, is a sliding usmash.

If they roll, they end up at the hitbox behind you, if they do a simple get up, they get hit by the front hitbox, and if they ledgejump, they get hit by the tip.

Obviously, you have to predict when they try to get up, although this usually isn't too hard. I think you might be able to space it so you won't be hit by a possible ledge attack.

feardragon64

Smash Champion
Sorry for the bump, but I have a question/idea.

What I have found useful for ledge traps recently for stages without platforms near the edges, is a sliding usmash.

If they roll, they end up at the hitbox behind you, if they do a simple get up, they get hit by the front hitbox, and if they ledgejump, they get hit by the tip.

Obviously, you have to predict when they try to get up, although this usually isn't too hard. I think you might be able to space it so you won't be hit by a possible ledge attack.
The problem is think of it like this. Sliding usmash means you have to be a decent distance away from the edge. If you're not, you'll get hit by get-up attack or a drop down attack. If you space yourself enough, that gives them the chance to back out of their commitment(i.e. ledge drop fair or nair when they see you running at them). It could work but if they have decent reaction time, you're likely to get hit or just reset the situation but with you in the lag of usmash and standing RIGHT on the edge.

Anyways, watching a movie while I typed that so tell me if I was unclear about it.

TKD+ITA+Mar=

Smash Ace
No don't worry, it is clear and legitimate.

Oh, but just to let let you know, the ending point of the running usmash [or now that I am thinking about, just a normal usmash], is about a character or two's length away from the edge, not right on it. So that way one foot hit's them if they try use get up, and the other hits them if they roll. But you are right in saying that it leaves you vulnerable to attacks. I just like it because it works against get up, roll, and ledgejump.

So that may or may not change some of it.

feardragon64

Smash Champion
^Meh, I still wouldn't rely on it. It's alright to use every so often, but honestly it's really just not dependable.

Anyways, at least your thinking. Try not to use it too often though.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
lol just kinda pointing out the obvious.

Why would you not want them to shield a move called ****ing Shieldbreaker?
Perfect Shield?

Anyways, good stuff, usmash for ledge game is really at most a mix up, not a totaly reliable way of dealing with someone on the ledge per se (especially if you're going for a stage spike).

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Can you explain how Roy_R kept getting fsmashes on his opponent when they were on the edge.

ZHMT

Smash Lord
NNID
zeeehmtee
Wait for their invincibility frames to wear off, then fsmash and it always tips.

Top Bottom