• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth is still gay.

TKD+ITA+Mar=

Smash Ace
Loved the tipper f-smash, and ****** people against the stage. (Philosophical Question of the Day: Does that make it a threesome?)

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Sure, we'll call him effeminate/gay, but that makes victory only sweeter.(what, I'm sorry, couldn't hear ur screams of pain, 2 busy styling my hair to be wasted on newb material like (insert name of hated rival).:chuckle:
Marth user, and proud of it!

Mokai

Smash Apprentice
I don't get it. I'm not sure what ability has anything to do with sexual orientation.

Mokai

Smash Apprentice
You're obviously not getting what "gay" in the title is supposed to mean. I mean he's still a gimpy character, with gimpy moves. I don't mean he actually LIKES guys and is homosexual. -_-;
I still don't get it. What does being a "gimpy character" have to do with sexual orientation? Or are you saying that gay people are inept and deficient? :p

everlasting yayuhzz

Smash Champion
I still don't get it. What does being a "gimpy character" have to do with sexual orientation? Or are you saying that gay people are inept and deficient? :p
Are you gay and do you take offense to the title of the video? I use the term "gay" to describe stupid things that happen in the game, kind of like Marth's ******** combos. I don't feel like saying, "MARTH IS A REALLY GOOD CHARACTER WITH GREAT OFFSTAGE GIMPS AND PRETTY GOOD GROUND AND AIR GAME", so I just call his style of play gay.

Mokai

Smash Apprentice
Are you gay and do you take offense to the title of the video? I use the term "gay" to describe stupid things that happen in the game, kind of like Marth's ******** combos. I don't feel like saying, "MARTH IS A REALLY GOOD CHARACTER WITH GREAT OFFSTAGE GIMPS AND PRETTY GOOD GROUND AND AIR GAME", so I just call his style of play gay.
Sorry, I'll stop picking on ya. XP

But yeah, I'm gay. I'm not really angered by people who use "gay" as a synonym for "stupid" since it's fairly common in the mainstream, though I do think it's being ignorant. When you think about it, it's pretty disrespectful to the gay community in general. It's kinda like saying somethings "black" if you think it's cheap. I knew from the start what you meant, sorry to waste your time like that. :p

To slide a bit back on topic, I do admit the moves you make are nice. You clearly deserve your Elitist title. :)

everlasting yayuhzz

Smash Champion

But yeah, I'm gay. I'm not really angered by people who use "gay" as a synonym for "stupid" since it's fairly common in the mainstream, though I do think it's being ignorant. When you think about it, it's pretty disrespectful to the gay community in general. It's kinda like saying somethings "black" if you think it's cheap. I knew from the start what you meant, sorry to waste your time like that. :p

To slide a bit back on topic, I do admit the moves you make are nice. You clearly deserve your Elitist title. :)
Well, it's not meant to offend. I figured you were playing stupid on the title, but I thought I'd explain it anyway. :p

Either way, Marth still stupid. :(

feardragon64

Smash Champion
Lol, I like the actual video gameplay footage. You have a good marth. But there are a few things that are at least worth pointing out...

1) I think a lot of those gimps could have been air dodged. Obviously, it would require some timing which would be a bit difficult, but marth isn't the end all if your off the stage character. Those k.o.'s are avoidable, just a bit harder than some other character's. =](though I do think it was very nicely done)

2) I agree he has a pretty good gimping game, but he can actually be gimped as well by lack of horizontal recovery unless he's high enough to do his fully charged shieldbreaker(in which case he needs the altitude to pull off less he plummet to his death). And besides, you show how easily he can be gimped in the end of the video in the last two death scenes with captain falcon and g&w xD.

3) I think parts of your video were rather deceptive. Often times you would start the opponent at 130% and marth at next to 0% and just show marth getting a tippered fsmash off on the opponent(which could have been dodged with a good reaction time, not to say that the other opponent is unskilled). Granted, you showed some videos where marth was at a higher % than the opponent, usually the highest he would be in comparison to his opponent was 20% to 25%. There was even one death where captain falcon jumped off the stage(while marth was on it), used his second jump to go further off, then DI'd back and up+b'd, marth edge hogged his up+b and captain falcon died: I don't know but just seems like falcon was asking for it LOL. Marth is a really good character, but to say he's stupidly good would be an overstatement that you seem to overemphasize in your video by using subtle tactics such as these.

I appreciate the video for actual usage of just good marth moments, but I think he's far from being blatantly overpowered. I think if he was as overpowered as you say, so many really good players wouldn't have abandoned him xD

everlasting yayuhzz

Smash Champion
Lol, I like the actual video gameplay footage. You have a good marth. But there are a few things that are at least worth pointing out...

1) I think a lot of those gimps could have been air dodged. Obviously, it would require some timing which would be a bit difficult, but marth isn't the end all if your off the stage character. Those k.o.'s are avoidable, just a bit harder than some other character's. =](though I do think it was very nicely done)

2) I agree he has a pretty good gimping game, but he can actually be gimped as well by lack of horizontal recovery unless he's high enough to do his fully charged shieldbreaker(in which case he needs the altitude to pull off less he plummet to his death). And besides, you show how easily he can be gimped in the end of the video in the last two death scenes with captain falcon and g&w xD.

3) I think parts of your video were rather deceptive. Often times you would start the opponent at 130% and marth at next to 0% and just show marth getting a tippered fsmash off on the opponent(which could have been dodged with a good reaction time, not to say that the other opponent is unskilled). Granted, you showed some videos where marth was at a higher % than the opponent, usually the highest he would be in comparison to his opponent was 20% to 25%. There was even one death where captain falcon jumped off the stage(while marth was on it), used his second jump to go further off, then DI'd back and up+b'd, marth edge hogged his up+b and captain falcon died: I don't know but just seems like falcon was asking for it LOL. Marth is a really good character, but to say he's stupidly good would be an overstatement that you seem to overemphasize in your video by using subtle tactics such as these.

I appreciate the video for actual usage of just good marth moments, but I think he's far from being blatantly overpowered. I think if he was as overpowered as you say, so many really good players wouldn't have abandoned him xD
I know Marth isn't overpowered. The overpowered characters are Meta Knight and Snake. Obviously, in Brawl, any "combo" is avoidable, due to the weird *** hitstun and airdodging. It's the job of the player to predict and punish accordingly. Of course they could've gotten out, but who's to say that I wouldn't have followed up according to what they did? Then you'd be like "why didn't you do this and this." The only way to get combos in Brawl is to predict airdodges and rolls and the like.

And yeah, these are just from friendly matches, so when he ran off the stage like that, we were joking around talking in person, and I beat him to the edge and he was like "WTF?" Good times.

I don't get what you're talking about with the percents and stuff...? What do you mean by that? I just took clips out of matches and put them in a video. I don't really understand what you're talking about with that. o_O

feardragon64

Smash Champion
Lol, it seems we honestly agree in the matter then. As for the %'s, I'm sure it wasn't intentional, but a lot of the times Marth was basically always at an advantage %'wise(i.e. falcon or g&w had 60% or something, and marth would have 40%). Of course, that's just the way things go though xD. Anyways, even if you think marth is kinda stupidly good at gimping, thanks for the video footage. I found it helpful as a good example of proper marth play. xD

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Pretty sure Marth has a wife so maybe he practices a down low life style?

A closet gay perhaps?

LOL!

Nice Marth BTW. You seem to be patient, which I like.

ike_love

Smash Apprentice

I thought calling Marth gay was a term of endearment. He does wear a bow in his head. And I think you may be on to something with the new calling cheap characters black. It's not a bad idea. I'll be the first to start it off. Wolf is a black guy! lol

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Personally, I like calling it "insane", or "sick", so that I don't offend gays. Still, the video is soooo true, he's got happy-hotel kills.

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
Since I'm probably the only black guy in this thread i figure i shold speak up (don't let the proper english i usually use fool you). While I would be honored to have characters that are really really good (or cheap as you say) called black, I don't think its a good idea. I sorta have the same stand as the person who said he was gay (sorry for forgettin' your name). Its kinda messed up to just start slingin' stuff around like that. I'm sure that you can think of a better way to describe the way marth plays than "gay". You should have said "marth still *****" instead, even though the Warlock*G would be offended by the use of "****".

everlasting yayuhzz

Smash Champion
It was a joke. Calling the video something lame like "Marth is still very good!" is boring. I don't like boring things. How about we pay less attention to the title and more attention to the actual fighting in the video, yes? :)

Also, I am half black, half white, so you're not the only "black" person. :) I just don't take offense to trivial things like race insults. :p

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
I know it was supposed to be a joke. I don't get easily offended either (btw, I'm 3/4 black so I out rank you). I do like the video tho. You give me ideas for edgeguarding too. The dunks and stage dunks were the best.:)

TKD+ITA+Mar=

Smash Ace
^^ Oh yeah, well I am 100% Awesome.

But on a more serious note, when you are under the stage, you do side-b -> dolphin slash. Is the side b just for a little extra damage, or is there another reason?

Top Bottom