• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario's General Chat Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt07

Smash Master
So yea, how come Ray/Boshi's thread about leaving Mario get's locked. But how come the Lucas quitting this isn't locked? :psycho:.

Matt07

Smash Master
Haha meh, the Mario boards rarely get spammed, or make any threads. I don't think were in a need of moderators, only once in a while.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
A mod is nice, but the Mario boards are generally always clean except for that rare moment.

So far all the mods have locked are community-based threads, which aren't important to SWF, but to the board itself.

Meh, other boards get a helluva more spam than this board, especially the Sonic boards.

Matt07

Smash Master
Haha, the Sonic boards, I like it there it get's a lot of replies quite often, although some members 'snap' at your for going in 'their' boards :urg: :(.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
Haha meh, the Mario boards rarely get spammed, or make any threads. I don't think were in a need of moderators, only once in a while.
Yah, but the fact that we now have mods paying attention to the Mario boards is a big improvement.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
The MK ban thread is getting funny now.

They're now saying that Ike and Luigi can be soft-counters against MK.

Matt07

Smash Master
Lol, Luigi? That makes me wonder...like I thought Luigi would do good against Metaknight, but then I heard information from others, and knew Luigi wasn't a counter. Hmm...Ike? That one slightly suprises me. Maybe Mario will eventually be considered a soft counter :laugh:.

What's your take on the ban Hero, last time I voted no, now I'm neutral on the debate.

Ray/Boshi

Smash Journeyman
After watching a few vids of Boss' singles Luigi on youtube. I'd say Luigi deserves alot of credit IMO on alot of matchups. Marth with his UpB nonsense to push you back. If he misses, Shoryken, KOed. :laugh:

I might start using Luigi a little though, Boss inspired me after viewing those vids. Thanks Boss. :chuckle:

UpB is like a instant KO if the oppurtunity arises that you could use it. I dont know about him being a soft counter or anything with MK. But definatly not a character you'd want to take lightly. Especially if you're using one of the lighter characters.

I gave up on the ban mk nonsense. I say keep him. Unless the TO says otherwise. His Tournament you know. MK's a beast, but not banworthy. I lose alot against him. But it's never by much. D3 usually mops the floor with me worse then he does.

Also (I've never seen a MK of Mew2Kings calibur or anything for example)
Which seems to be what the big fuss is about. So I've no idea on him being ban worthy on a level of skills such as that. IMO M2K could probably win first with the help of alot of characters if he chose to. Not riding the man or anything, but that's a skillful guy there. Props to him.

(It's the most viewed and replied thread though) So it's hard to keep track of it. I read like 4 pages, remeber the #, then come back another day where I left off lol. :p

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
What's your take on the ban Hero, last time I voted no, now I'm neutral on the debate.
I'm pretty much neutral as well, I used to be firm pro-ban, but after all of the talk about infinites, the pod-cast, and the MK ban threads (I read all 500+ pages of that crap), my opinion pretty much changed. Metaknight's pretty broken, but I got a pretty firm belief that even though he has no disadvantages, that he can still be overcome with the strengths of other characters.

I'm pretty much like Ray. My matches with MK are pretty close and sometimes I win, but he's still statistically a powerhouse. So I'll just be going with what the community/SBR wants.

The Luigi v MK match-up was full of lol though.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
The MK ban thread is getting funny now.

They're now saying that Ike and Luigi can be soft-counters against MK.
Lmfao! :laugh:

He's so sure that he's right too. Luigi vs MK isn't even fair. He said Luigi can't be easily gimped...lmfao.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
^MY Mario is a counter to MK. ;)
Lmfao! :laugh:

He's so sure that he's right too. Luigi vs MK isn't even fair. He said Luigi can't be easily gimped...lmfao.
What got me was the 3 F-airs in one SH. I was like "Yeah... so?"

Matt07 said:
Hmm...Ike? That one slightly suprises me.
That match-up is full of lol too, but does some -some- merit. He does better than some of the cast due to his spacing ability, but once MK gets the first hit he is gone. No contest whatsoever. It's like pure ****. Ike's weight and fall speed makes him heavily combo'd to MK and once he's offstage there's pretty much no hope for him left.

At least Mario and Luigi has some "Get the **** off me!" abilities. XD

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I still haven't heard the whole podcast on the debate. Listening to it now...still trying to figure out who's who while they're talking XD

I'm anti-ban, prolly cuz I haven't been beaten by one in a tourney yet.

Matt07

Smash Master
Ike can spam Counter to win, MK players are always aggresive, so why not use Counter all the time, you'll hear a lot of "Robin" (is that what Ike says when he Counters an Attack?) Haha, I'm joking though :p.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Ike can spam Counter to win, MK players are always aggresive, so why not use Counter all the time, you'll hear a lot of "Robin" (is that what Ike says when he Counters an Attack?) Haha, I'm joking though :p.
He says "Gotcha!"

Matt07

Smash Master
Oh really? He says gotcha? Wow I seriously never knew that. When he uses down smash it sounds like he says "Oh yea" ROFL seriously xD.

Lol Dory. Ike likes muffins.

Matt07

Smash Master
So...this is kinda relating to Mario in a way, it's about if Metaknight get's banned, how it will affect Mario.

Umm...well first Metaknight is very difficult for Mario, he has trouble gimping him, MK has practically better combo's and he can easily edgeguard Mario. Mario has trouble combo'ing MK due to how light he is, and how he can break out of u-tilt combo's. All of his attacks practically out prioritize our attacks, except for Mario's up B (but that can only get us so far.) That's really the only downside Metaknight has for Mario, he actually has a lot brings more 'advantages' then disadvantages for us.

If he get's banned, guess who we're going to see more. Dedede's, G&W's, Falco's, Snake's, Marth's, and other high tier/top tier characters. The bolded character's are the ones that give Mario the most trouble. And probably they will be the characters to gain more 'popularity' if MK is banned. How does it affect us? Dedede has an infinite, meaning most given players would counterpick Dedede against Mario, not only that, more Dedede's makes it even harder for Bowser, Samus, Donkey Kong, us, and...Luigi? Boom, there goes 5 characters chance of placing in tournaments even higher. Game and Watch...wow he owns Mario we all know that. FLUUD can help us, but like Hero said, his opponent starting getting aware, and adapting to it, like all the other ones will. Wow, more G&W too...that's something to worry about (at least for me), lastly Marth. Marth has amazing range, he practically out ranges Mario, which is a huge trouble for Mario, sure we have a projectile but he can easily powershield, and punish. Now...I think I'd rather have more Metaknight's then those three characters...honestly MK is easier for me then Marth due to him not having amazing range like Marth.

I've never been to any offline tournament, so...my uuh...post doesn't really mean much. But this is my opinion on what will happen if MK get's banned. In the end do I think it will help Mario? Nope I think the ban will hurt Mario more then make it easier for us. Again if you guys want to bring up anything else/debate please do so.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
DeDeDe is a mixed bag. Right now there's a reign to get Infinites banned and even some of the SBR want it banned as well. However with or without the Infinite, all we have to do is apply different tactics to DeDeDe and play differently. We're pretty much the only one out of the five that can do that. Maybe once we apply our camp skills well, it'll give us the edge we need against DeDeDe (who isn't really that difficult at all once you get past the infinite and chaingrab).

G&W for me might be on a personal level. Maybe I'm just not using FLUDD correctly and screwing up on the FIHL, because FIHL is litterally supposed to hold them in place. Nonetheless the 80:20 G&W was completely thrashed by FLUDD alone, simply because G&W cannot approach with the turtle anymore. It's probably lowered to 65:35. I don't think we're lucky enough to get a 60:40.

Marth... seriously, I don't see Marth as hard at all. I've played against him so much that I practically know what to do on each scenario. The only thing that'll make it hard for me is if the Marth player has a completely different playstyle than what I'm used to.

Falco and Snake doesn't even matter. They're just matches you gotta learn to fight against.

IMO, Metaknight getting banned will help Mario's viability but not by much. Mario still has his load of even matches and his bad matches. This is why the Mario boards in particular need to lay off of Metaknight and concentrate on other matches, because they've been left hanging lately. We're concentrating on MK (and DDD) so much that we're not learning the other matches. I think that's the main reason why we're not doing so well in tournaments right now.

Matt07

Smash Master
Hmm...good post Hero, I really liked your side of the opinion. Blah, Marth is easy for you? I wonder if I have any 'easy' match-up's that are difficult for you xD.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
All Mario mains should have a counterpick to handle matchups like Dedede and GaW. Unless you're a Boss, you're going to need help with these matchups.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Agreed. You should always have a counterpick in your back-pocket.

Even Boss has a counterpick... which is Luigi. >_>

mariofanpm12

Smash Ace
I wish Mario showed more expression in Brawl like he did in Melee. What used to be smiles and whatnot in Melee or now frowns or, at best, uncaring, serious looks. Oh well.

Matt07

Smash Master
Lol, cause Mario is low tier, he's upset because of that.

Meh...counterpicks? Why would I do that and Mario get's less tournament points. Sure I might be able to 'rack' in more cash if I used a counterpick, but I get a better sastifaction of getting top 8 with only Mario. And I doubt I'm good enough to get top 3 in a tournament even with a counterpick.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
So my friends called and said "Hey... wanna go to a Brawl tourney?"

So I'm heading over there right now. Wish me luck.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Tourney was cancelled since TO went out of town. So I played Brawl with my crew for six hours straight.

I still get ***** by Abscent sometimes.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
sorry to spoil the *****fest in here but the SBR voting closed. 15 on the ban side vs 35 on the anti-ban side, as opposed to 15 vs 29 from the last vote.

I wouldn't count on a MK ban any time soon.
Looks like we can stop dreaming, guys.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
All Mario mains should have a counterpick to handle matchups like Dedede and GaW. Unless you're a Boss, you're going to need help with these matchups.
I use Pit, Marth, Link, and Snake (these are my secondaries) for counterpicks. Got to have some variety in this game. Also, looks like Metaknight's not getting banned anytime soon. Guess I'll have to work harder.

Famous

Smash Champion
Man, Boss did well at C3...His bracket was somewhat easy. My bracket was hard as ****. My 1st round was easy enough but I had to face Plank 2nd round...At least I got some good MK practice. He uses downB to ledge guard, wtf.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom