• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario's General Chat Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
So is the match-up between Mario and Ness 7-3 to you guys and why? I just want to know the truth of this matter.

Matt07

Smash Master
I think it's because we wreck everything Ness' has. We can Cape is projectiles, 'gimp' is recovery very easily, we have longer range, better aerials then he does. I think that's why it's 7-3 in our favour. And also we can K.O him at lower percents with smashes.

Matt07

Smash Master
I've fought good Ness', I agree with Bo that is was 55:45, but a lot of others said it was 60-40 or higher in our favour.

Ness has good projectiles, f-air is good, easy to land spike, etc, etc. Ness is pretty darn good. I've fought NoNessNoProblem and he's a beast. Well good for WiFi I must say.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
The only problem I have with Ness is the F-air. And that's how I lost in the brackets at a tourney.

Thing is, that's all I see. If Ness didn't have F-air then Mario would be open the wreck him at any given moment.

You don't need to fight beastly Ness players to say it's even, because match-up ratios don't go like that. We go 70:30 Adv against ROB, but the ROB player I frequently fight against goes fairly even with me, but I still see how it's a 70:30.

Character match-ups are from characters alone in perfect situations. Player skill and human reaction destroys the match-up chart entirely.

It's not even at all, but it doesn't matter much in a realistic situation.

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
The only problem I have with Ness is the F-air. And that's how I lost in the brackets at a tourney.

Thing is, that's all I see. If Ness didn't have F-air then Mario would be open the wreck him at any given moment.

You don't need to fight beastly Ness players to say it's even, because match-up ratios don't go like that. We go 70:30 Adv against ROB, but the ROB player I frequently fight against goes fairly even with me, but I still see how it's a 70:30.

Character match-ups are from characters alone in perfect situations. Player skill and human reaction destroys the match-up chart entirely.

It's not even at all, but it doesn't matter much in a realistic situation.
I see what you mean. But if it was 70:30 or 60:40. I would seriously wreck every Ness i play... which i don't. Mario clearly has the advantage but not by much.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Ah well. At this point it's just a matter of opinion, and nothing to dwell on. At the end of the day we still know the ways to fight him, which is all that matters. :)

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
I agree with BO X7; I mentioned this earlier, this is not above 60:40 in Mario's favor because that would mean that Mario ***** Ness as badly as Ganondorf, which simply isn't true. This match-up is about 55:45/60:40 in Mario's favor.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Ah well. At this point it's just a matter of opinion, and nothing to dwell on. At the end of the day we still know the ways to fight him, which is all that matters. :)
Exactly. I mean...I don't lose to Marth very much at all, yet that's 65:35. Whenever I see that my opponent is a Marth, I'm thinking "low % kills, combos below, simple gimps, upB out of sideB/thru Fair spacing".

I don't see G&W being Mario's hardest matchup either. It's most certainly not easy or even or anything, but his hardest matchup? With D3 and MK running around?

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Lol, if I wanted to destroy you I would've utterly target you. I was basically just saying that personal experience doesn't make a large significance in match-up discussions. Match-up discussions for the most part is theory-crafting.

Which we all know is pretty unreliable at high levels of play.

EDIT: Matador, you pop up as soon as I decide to reply to Matt. How clever.

Matt07

Smash Master
Lol true Hero, I was just joking around :p. At highest level of play, both characters are almost equal. Well...maybe.

Me...I seem to fit perfectly with the match-up against characters, generally :laugh:.

Edit: I just clicked this thread, and it got updated :D.

Edit 2: Oh dang, the Pipe House Thread got locked. Hylian has visited the Mario boards, maybe he's gonna secondary them lol. At least I think he likes playing most characters.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Hylian did a Gimpyfish and went through each board cleaning it up.

Although I don't think locking the Pipe House thread was needed seeing as how it was for a cause. =/

Matt07

Smash Master
It's been advertized, however we can make a new thread in the future, or just post members we think that should be added to the Pipe House. Although I do agree, the Pipe House Thread was useful :(. It went down as a good cause.

It got locked like as a happy thread.

Kanzaki

Smash Champion
I fought the bests Ness' in SoCal, I think it's 6-4.

Ness' fair and spike is pretty much the only reason why it's not any higher in my opinion.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
My utter disdain for the Ness boards after matchup discussion is making me wonder whether matchup discussion for ratios is worth it. They don't hold much weight when you're actually at the tourney unless it's painfully obvious whose adv it is. Alot of them aren't very accurate either. And then if you're someone of Boss' caliber, it doesn't even matter.

Edit: You guys remember that thread about Ray/Boshi quitting that Youko locked? That last comment was uncalled for. Sometimes I think they abuse their power a bit.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Match-up discussions is mainly used for low/mid-level play. After that it's all up in the air. They just give you a general outlook on what to expect in a match. It's why I made that Match-up Q&A thread and why I like the Ike boards' philosophy when it comes to match-up discussions.

And yeah, I remember that time when Youko locked that thread. That was really... "cheap", and an uncalled slap in the face.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
And now there are more of them XD

Looks like they made quite a few members new Mods recently.

Kanzaki

Smash Champion
Online, I've gotten first a few times!

Offline, best I did was 2nd in doubles, 5th in singles ><

SoCal's smash scene is too good =/

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I'm hoping I can head to Gigabits, but might not due to the fact that the family is wondering about visiting relatives in Kentucky.

Hopefully I can though. I wanna be in a big one.

EDIT: Best I got so far is fourth at a local tourney. Looks like we all gotta work. XD

Ray/Boshi

Smash Journeyman
I stopped reading into the opinionated matchup ratios nonsense myself also. I just read into it far enough to see what not to do, what pro they abuse to put the match into their favor, and what part I need to emphasize more strongly on to combat that. Play very gay, and you'l be alright in any match.

But yeah, Mods tend to take threads on here a little too serious at times. I dont comprehend the method behind half of it. But, It is what it is.

Also, regarding the matchup ratios again. They are opinionated only to the so called "knowledgable actives" on each respective board. So dont follow it as a concrete belief. Not saying people on here dont know much. But yeah. They can stick them #'s up they behind. 60% of the people on here typing dont really make much sense half the time. Personal opinions off of their own minute personal experiences is all that is. Which in the end, amounts to nothing. Do you. And hopefully you win doing it. :)

Matt07

Smash Master
Americans are so lucky, you guys have a much bigger smash scene then us, like Only In Niagara got around 80 people (which is really good for us), and you guys get like 100+ for Bi-weeklies? You guys don't really have to travel that much as there's a smash scene in every state. The best I can do is attend bi-weeklies in Ottawa, and they don't get much more then 12+ people, so it won't help on Ankoku's thread. Not saying anything about Canada, I love Canada just we have a smaller smash scene then the US.

Sure all you hear me is 'john' a lot about that >_> but, I can maybe attend half the tournaments you guys do.

Matt07

Smash Master
You can always move down here, Matt. ;)
I should! I love hearing about the hot weather in Florida, much nicer then the cold weather here. Playing smash, with you, and the other smashers :p. Mario pwnage in Florida, lol xD.

I goto Toronto sometimes, usually North York or Mississauga, next time I'm up, we should play :]
Omg, we should, it'd be soo sweet :D. Next big tournament in Toronto, or southern Ontario you should come :p.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom