• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario's General Chat Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Famous

Smash Champion
Lol, that's because more people are active in the other character threads...We need more Mario mains in general...

Ray/Boshi

Smash Journeyman
If MK were to get banned. Low tiers would be happy. They would now stand a slight chance.

Well, less is more I suppose. We have quality, not quanity. :p

Mardyke

Smash Journeyman
Mario's versatility still stands out when people actually play with him smart like they're meant to.

My only major gripe about Mario is that he doesn't smile half as much any more in Brawl. :(

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Although I've never played a top-level Metaknight, I think everyone is overrating him.

I've been able to beat 4-5 Metaknights online through strategic thinking. The battle deals alot with knowing what's coming next.

And we all know Mario's supposed to be mid tier. :)

Famous

Smash Champion
Doubt it. Most of the top tiers wreck him, and I'm not even going to mention King Dedede.

Only if a scrub plays with MK or D3...If a halfway decent player plays with MK or D3 they are already considered to be trouble...

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
so true, once MK gets banned im sure there will be more
I hope he's not banned. If Azen and Boss can beat M2K and Plank and whatnot, then why can't I? Well...aside from the years of experience and whatnot.

...you know what I mean.

If MK were to get banned. Low tiers would be happy. They would now stand a slight chance.

Well, less is more I suppose. We have quality, not quanity. :p
Screw the low tiers. We're not one of them XD.

My only major gripe about Mario is that he doesn't smile half as much any more in Brawl. :(
Mario's serious business! :laugh:

Although I've never played a top-level Metaknight, I think everyone is overrating him.

I've been able to beat 4-5 Metaknights online through strategic thinking. The battle deals alot with knowing what's coming next.
You have to fight more against the player than the character in this matchup...since the character is nearly flawless.

And we all know Mario's supposed to be Mid tier :)
Hellz yea!

Doubt it. Most of the top tiers wreck him, and I'm not even going to mention King Dedede.
We do pretty well vs Falco and ROB, and okay vs Snake and Marth.

Only if a scrub plays with MK or D3...If a halfway decent player plays with MK or D3 they are already considered to be trouble...
I'd rather fight MK over D3 any day. At least D3's only broken in one way.

bobson

Smash Lord
We do pretty well vs Falco and ROB, and okay vs Snake and Marth.
I'll give you ROB and possibly Falco, but Snake and Marth? All we've really got on them is fireball spamming and occasional gimp opportunities.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I'll give you ROB and possibly Falco, but Snake and Marth? All we've really got on them is fireball spamming and occasional gimp opportunities.
Snake sucks aerially which is where we accel, and we can edgeguard him. We can combo him pretty easily because of his weight and slow aerials. Fludd and cape do well to slacken projectile spam and Fsmash kills are much easier to land on him than most. Fireball approaches don't work as well vs Snake because of his quick jabs and Ftilt, but still help as an approach method. If you save your Fsmash, you can kill him around 110%.

Marth is hard to approach and can easily run through most of our attacks with Fair, which is why this match should probably be played more defensively. This means OOS upBs, shield grabs, retreating fireballs and going for every gimp and edgeguard. He dies at low%s and doesn't have many options at all from below, which means Uair and Utilt chains are easy. My point is that we have options to take control of the match and can turn it in our favor.

I'm not saying we have the adv, because we clearly don't. I'm saying that we don't have it as bad as other characters because we don't have any glaring disadvantages aside from range.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
The only thing that stops Mario from wrecking Snake is our range. Since Mario is forced to approach (otherwise Snake will molest the hell out of the stage), all he has to do is wait for Mario to come close then send him flying back to where we started. But once Mario gets an opening, he punish pretty heavily, granted the player doesn't foolishly jump into Snake's N-air.

Marth is generally the same as Snake, except the fact we can use fireballs more and Marth will be the one approaching. It's mainly a match of endurance.

Anyways, question: Is Mario able to (easily) Up-B out of Falco's chaingrab like how Marth does?

Ray/Boshi

Smash Journeyman
I've never had trouble with Marth as Mario. (Knock on wood)

He's not all that in my opinion. The only thing that can make or break you is he's pressuring you with Dancing Blade. Which if he is, Just start hopping like a good Mario supposed to via SH's. Everything else is pretty much self explanatory. Keep the cape handy. Above all, just view him as a garbage character with you being the dominate factor. You will have no problems whatsoever. :laugh:

I like Mario being low tier. Doesnt affect me one bit. My Mario is lower High tier. :p

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
The only thing that stops Mario from wrecking Snake is our range. Since Mario is forced to approach (otherwise Snake will molest the hell out of the stage), all he has to do is wait for Mario to come close then send him flying back to where we started. But once Mario gets an opening, he punish pretty heavily, granted the player doesn't foolishly jump into Snake's N-air.

Marth is generally the same as Snake, except the fact we can use fireballs more and Marth will be the one approaching. It's mainly a match of endurance.

Anyways, question: Is Mario able to (easily) Up-B out of Falco's chaingrab like how Marth does?
Apparently yes, so really CGs doesnt work on Mario also he has his pretty sexy Nair to cut it out ;D

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Has anyone tested trying to get out of D3's infinite with upB? Or do we not regain control?

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
Has anyone tested trying to get out of D3's infinite with upB? Or do we not regain control?
No one's tested it recently, but I don't think that would work. I think the hitstun makes it impossible to escape.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
That's good then. It leaves no room for error during the infinite. Just be sure to mash upB and distract your opponent.

...insult his mother or something.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Lol just make sure it isnt some big brolic dude when your insulting him :p

Has any real life fights ever broke out in tourney plays? Ya know how like both of them are in playing serious mode, and like one of them b*tchs and arguements break out and sooner or later a fight breaks out over a game? Has that happened before? lol.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
Lol just make sure it isnt some big brolic dude when your insulting him :p

Has any real life fights ever broke out in tourney plays? Ya know how like both of them are in playing serious mode, and like one of them b*tchs and arguements break out and sooner or later a fight breaks out over a game? Has that happened before? lol.
Real Life Super Smash Bros. XD

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I'm sure. The Smash community is one of cool people, but we're still people :laugh:

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
...insult his mother or something.
Dedede player: *Chaingrabs*
Mario player: ...Yo mama's so fat, when she sits on the rainbow skittles pop out
Dedede player: WHAT?!
Mario player: *up-b*

I think that Yo Mama jokes have serious potential for the metagame of competitive Brawl.

bobson

Smash Lord
I'm not saying we have the adv, because we clearly don't. I'm saying that we don't have it as bad as other characters because we don't have any glaring disadvantages aside from range.
I agree, but disadvantaged is still disadvantaged. Getting inside Marth's wall of disjointed hitboxes and Snake's priority is still a challenge, and I don't think Mario being less disadvantaged than, say, Sonic will make people think "Oh boy! Now that Metaknight's gone, I can pick up Mario competitively!" It just makes the uphill battle less steep.

Am I the only one who ALWAYS gets his fireballs eaten by Marth's sword?

Matt07

Smash Master
Nope I feel your pain.
Marth: *Stands there*
Me: Fireball.
Marth: Neutral A Fireball is gone*
Me: '...'

No but seriously it is kinda annoying, especially f-air, 'eats' Fireballs, and he can do 2 in one jump.

Ray/Boshi

Smash Journeyman
Marth's usually always jab the fireball. I'm usually rushing in behind it though, just one of them things if you're character has a projectile. If it hits, great, if not, at least now I have him restricted slightly for the time being.

Vyyruss

Smash Apprentice

And we all know Mario's supposed to be mid tier. :)
Can't really base it on online play though. I mean, it's one thing
to play online and deal with the lag that is teh Brawl. But to fight
one, a good one... in person is...well, different to say the least.

I think my Mario may have shed a single tear that day.

Vyyruss

Smash Apprentice
I dunno about you guys, but I've been able to DI out of a D3
CG pretty easily with Mario. The character I keep having
trouble with is Lucario. His st00pid Aura tells my combos to
"go on somewherez!" It's annoying.

Matt07

Smash Master
Yea, at 100% or more Lucario owns! His fsmash has a huge range, he can rack up damage like nuts. The only thing I can say, try to K.O him quickly or else you will get owned :psycho:.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I agree, but disadvantaged is still disadvantaged. Getting inside Marth's wall of disjointed hitboxes and Snake's priority is still a challenge, and I don't think Mario being less disadvantaged than, say, Sonic will make people think "Oh boy! Now that Metaknight's gone, I can pick up Mario competitively!" It just makes the uphill battle less steep.
No doubt, I'm not denying that. These battles are, in no way, easy for Mario. I'm just saying that if you put another character in our place like Fox or Shiek, they don't do THAT much better than Mario in those matchups if they do better at all. Mario doesn't really get wrecked by the top tiers as much as others say. G&W and MK are terrible for everyone, not moreso for Mario for unknown reasons. The only argument is D3.

Marth's usually always jab the fireball. I'm usually rushing in behind it though, just one of them things if you're character has a projectile. If it hits, great, if not, at least now I have him restricted slightly for the time being.
Exactly. If a fireball forces a jab or forces them to space a Fair differently, its done its job.

I dunno about you guys, but I've been able to DI out of a D3
CG pretty easily with Mario.
Which way do you DI?

TheFast

Smash Lord
see there are enough mario players to have a general thread XD

Yea, at 100% or more Lucario owns! His fsmash has a huge range, he can rack up damage like nuts. The only thing I can say, try to K.O him quickly or else you will get owned :psycho:.
I find caping his Fsmash works wonders because then it leaves you will all the after lag to punish XD

Ray/Boshi

Smash Journeyman
I wisely spam the cape against everybody on alot of moves. I use it to the point to where people usually play slightly awkward. (Especially when recovering) Because in they mind, i'm going to use the cape or he could cape my ***.

Something I find myself doing alot lately though is holding my smash attacks very slightly (Not using the cstick) Mainly with the Dsmash. It seriously throws people off. They usually stand evade it becaue it's a quick attack, very easy to stand evade and dodge it. It messes them up to the point to where when I do use the cstick, i'm laughing it off because i'm alternating between the two connecting with each one.

I bang em up in the air with the cstick though. Only way to go. Keeps it quick an smooth.

Fireballs, I just shoot to shoot. Doesnt matter what i'm doing. Half the time i SH just so they will bounce slightly.

SuperJumpPunch a beast, don't ever disregard using that as a offensive move in a match. OOS especially, Or wait till a move right up on ya like GW's Bair, Opponet may mess up a CG even, you can sneak it in, You could even Dthrow to a upB, Or Utilt, Utilt, Utilt, jump, evade, upB even. On Battlefield, that move a monster. The main thing is it's quick to hit at a certain distance. So be unpredictable.

Vyyruss

Smash Apprentice
I really don't use the cape enough then. Lucario kicks muh plumber ***
You are right the, the momentum of the battle shifts alot. I can only
get him in a combo if he's not excepting it, otherwise that st00pid
dair kicks me straight out of it and it's terribly strong.

I actually DI down, at low percentages it'll make you land on the
ground, which gives you jusr enough time to spot dodge before D3
can grab again. Then I have combo options from there. Try it, but
iunno if the D3 I'm playing isn't very good at it or if I'm just really
****ing fast. He's able to do it to others pretty easily though.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
I really don't use the cape enough then. Lucario kicks muh plumber ***
You are right the, the momentum of the battle shifts alot. I can only
get him in a combo if he's not excepting it, otherwise that st00pid
dair kicks me straight out of it and it's terribly strong.

I actually DI down, at low percentages it'll make you land on the
ground, which gives you jusr enough time to spot dodge before D3
can grab again. Then I have combo options from there. Try it, but
iunno if the D3 I'm playing isn't very good at it or if I'm just really
****ing fast. He's able to do it to others pretty easily though.
A couple things: 1. DDD's standing infinite cannot be DIed out of. 2. FIHL works on all of Lucario's atks.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Yeah, FIHL works, but how exactly can it be followed up on? It lags but the attack is still there, and Lucario's hitboxes is freaken weird.

That said though, Lucario is not hard. The match all depends on who KOs who first. If you KO Lucario first then the match is all yours.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
Yeah, FIHL works, but how exactly can it be followed up on? It lags but the attack is still there, and Lucario's hitboxes is freaken weird.
The cape is probably the best follow up; basically FIHL makes the atks extremely punishable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom