• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Questions and Answers; Ask here first!

Calebyte

Smash Lord
I'm sure there is a thread on this somewhere, so if someone could point me in the right direction, that'd be awesome.

How EXACTLY do you input a full Cape Glide/Dash? I've been practicing for a while but I'm never consistent. Sometimes I go really far and sometime I don't glide at all.

BSP

Smash Legend
Guys...We all know (maybe you don't, but you will now) that Mario's worst position is facing the opponent right in front of them.

What are our best options when in this situation? Should we just retreat and SH/FH fireball? Just turn around? Give some opinions.

SKidd

Smash Master
Turn the opponent around with cape
fludd (maybe)
dair while moving away
short hop airdodge while moving back

Remember that the opponent(if they're stupid) might try to get away or shield.

BSP

Smash Legend
You can use fludd to delay an immediate threat, like if someone's dashing at you, but besides that, I would just save the charge if you already have it.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Guys...We all know (maybe you don't, but you will now) that Mario's worst position is facing the opponent right in front of them.

What are our best options when in this situation? Should we just retreat and SH/FH fireball? Just turn around? Give some opinions.
Best options (in order of overall practicality):
F-tilt
Grab
Jabs
Fireballs
a VERY well-spaced F-smash
Dash attack (if they spotdodge)
Powershielding
Pivot walking -> sliding shield

You gotta be creative with all of those. The main problem is usually you can't punish for big damage when facing forward unless your opponent is in a bad position or if you have them conditioned in a way that you can follow. So the trick is finding a way to put your opponent in a bad position or of course making a really good read.

And please please please use fireballs after throws. Especially F-throw. The ability to create spacing and landing traps with them has a lot of potential.

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
Fireball to D-air.
I believe it's call the "Fireball Spike" :roll:

Question. Does the "Cape ****" works perfectly in singles or dubz?
The reason why i ask this cuz i cape **** some pika player lastnight, he use down-b Thunder,
caught him mid-air and cape him again. He died @ just 54%, i lol so hard.
I forgot to save it. :/

:mario: <--Da Bess

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I believe it's call the "Fireball Spike" :roll:
That's Fireball to F-air.

Question? does the "Cape ****" works perfectly in singles or dubz?
The reason why i ask this cuz i cape **** some pika player lastnight, he use down-b Thunder,
caught him mid-air and cape him again. He died @ just 54%, i lol so hard.
I forgot to save it. :/

:mario: <--Da Bess
It never fails, but it's only practical in doubles. Singles relies on dumb luck and "coincidence".

IYM!

Smash Lord
this &quot;!&quot; is part of my nick (Chile)
hello Mario boards, first of all i will introduce my self

i am IYM!, a Link main from Chile than love play smash, and i am here because a friend of mine ask for my help ( he dont know very much English )

He want learn how to play good with Mario, he used to be a Falco main, but he change it because he is a top tier and his character do all the job for him ( let's face it, everyone who uses top ranked character arent very good as ""Smasher, because his main are very powerfull, helping a lot to the person [in special if the main is MK]), but Mario no, he is a low tier character with decent MU, and he enjoy play with this character.

i am very glad for him, not many people change a top tier Character for a low tier. (he never was very good with Falco anyway) . i see a great potencial on his Mario, he know how to combine all his moves and have a decent grab game. but he dont know how to use the Cape and in Special the FLUD.

That is the reason for me to write this here, i need your help mario boards

Can you help me with this please?

1) Which is the bette form to use the cape?
2) wich is the better form to use the FLUD?

will be helpfull also if you can give me some links to search for myself

Thanks in advance MARIO boards

PD: sorry if a sound a little rude, i have to practice a little my English :)

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Your English a little sketchy, particularly when you ask your questions, so I'm assuming you're asking for a guide to Cape and FLUDD. It can be found at the link below:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=196174

On a personal note, I suggest to tell your friend to at least keep Falco as a secondary. Mario has plenty uphill battles against the A tier.

IYM!

Smash Lord
this &quot;!&quot; is part of my nick (Chile)
Thanks for the help Hero Mystic, and i will try to improve my English :) (i dont have anyone than can teach me right now :(, So the only place when i can practice it is here in SWF) at least i know the enough to speak here in this forum XD.

about my friend, he want keep falco as a secondary :), but to be honest his Falco potential is very .... bad

his Mario isnt it, to you have an idea of the diference betwhen his falco and his mario, i dont have problems defeating his falco (MU ratio LINK/ FALCO are 30/70 Falco favor) and his mario give me more problems ( MU Link/Mario is 60/40 mario favor)

PD: your signature is very fun :laugh:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Cape is good for:
*tricking people by turning them around
*Stalling. Either to prevent edgehogs or juggles.
*spacing (the actual move)
*reflecting projectiles
*sweetspot ledge
*edgeguarding predictable recoveries

FLUDD is good for:
*disrupting spacing to play keep-away
*edgeguarding
*disrupting edgeguards

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
Cape is good for:
*tricking people by turning them around
*Stalling. Either to prevent edgehogs or juggles.
*spacing (the actual move)
*reflecting projectiles
*sweetspot ledge
*edgeguarding predictable recoveries

FLUDD is good for:
*disrupting spacing to play keep-away
*edgeguarding
*disrupting edgeguards

So true & so right. *smiles*

:mario: <-- Da Bess

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
No. A fully charged FLUDD also has more "knockback" as well.
I checked Mario's PAC and Mario's FLUDD doesn't have any true knockback growth. All the extra pushback is basically just a result from more hitboxes properly connecting.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I knew it wasn't true knockback, hence the quotation, but the clarity works so I'll keep that in mind.

SKidd

Smash Master
One links to A2Z's summary and the other links to Matador's, which happen to be adjacent.

Reducas

Smash Apprentice
NNID
reducas
hey mk dsmash me at 160% damage and i cape and stoped in mid air is dat di? also snake blew me away with fsmah at 132% and i use foward arial and mario din't die like he would of is that di also?

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
hey mk dsmash me at 160% damage and i cape and stoped in mid air is dat di?
That's D-Smash being stale.

also snake blew me away with fsmah at 132% and i use foward arial and mario din't die like he would of is that di also?
That'd be momentum breaking, but F-Smash should've killed you unless Snake was spamming it the entire time. What stage was the fight on?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
What ThatGuy said. At any rate I don't understand why people still use Cape incorrectly when recovering.

If you need to momentum brake, double jumping is the solution. At any rate, it's much more important to DI well and SAVE CAPE FOR WHEN YOU GET CLOSE TO THE EDGE. I cannot stress the last one enough, because this is one where I see the most Mario users fail to implement correctly VERY OFTEN.

By the way you can test it yourself in training mode. Cape definitely does not help you momentum brake. Furthermore, people should stop using it for attempting to gain distance, since it barely gives you any distance in this game (it DOES give you more distance in Melee actually). The true purpose of Cape recovery is for ledge sweetspotting and baiting edgehogs.

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
Cape could also be used as a way of turning yourself around as you approach the stage to stop some edgeguards with Bair. And a way to avoid different attempts of offstage punish and punishing them back obviously. Cape has way more uses than JUST ledge sweetspotting and edgehogs, but there's absolutely no reason to use cape to momentum cancel.

But honestly, who needs that when you can just Fair!!!

Matt07

Smash Master
I can DI pretty well horizontally, I find DI'ing vertically is a different story. I usually end up dying early.

I don't know if it's me, or it's just Mario's lack of cancelling vertical knockback? I use u-air btw, I find d-air doesn't really cancel vertical momentum well.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
For Vertical braking, use D-air with the C-stick so you fast-fall, and also DI to the left or right. FF D-air works better than U-airs.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I can DI pretty well horizontally, I find DI'ing vertically is a different story. I usually end up dying early.

I don't know if it's me, or it's just Mario's lack of cancelling vertical knockback? I use u-air btw, I find d-air doesn't really cancel vertical momentum well.
It's as simple as doing an aerial and fastfalling. C stick down with D-air does it more or less automatically for you. But at any rate Mario is kinda floaty, so momentum canceling vertically isn't nearly as noticeable for him as for other characters.

And sometimes in certain matchups, there is a general direction that is optimal to DI towards. Vs Snake, there is basically no reason to not always be DIing sideways when you're at KO percents. His horizontal launchers are all really telegraphed (specifically F-tilt), it's most difficult to react to his U-tilt. The same trick actually works well in the Mario ditto as well, since his two best KO moves are U-smash and F-smash, the latter being more telegrahed.

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
Xero if you just wanted to turn around you should fireball, this way you don't lose your cape stalls.
I'm suggesting options, turning backward with the cape would actually be a better idea in certain situations, as in a situation where a cape stall would actually keep you from being punished where a fireball wouldn't, and then you just punish them with a Bair. Then you get back to the stage just as freely as you want.

SKidd

Smash Master
What aerial is the most likely to help me survive in terms of momentum canceling?

-Sensei-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sensei544
What aerial is the most likely to help me survive in terms of momentum canceling?
That would be the fastest ending aerial. For Mario, that is up air. Double jumping towards the stage after fast falling the aerial really helps at very high percents. I find down air to work better for vertical momentum canceling though.

Top Bottom