• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Questions and Answers; Ask here first!

SKidd

Smash Master
Forward air is such a weak and slow spike, back air is where it's at

edit: Oh, and btw, is fastfall fair (on the ground) to dsmash a combo?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
F-air -> D-smash is a combo at lieeeek...50%. At slightly higher percents you will knock them off the ground and then they can retaliate with attacks or an airdodge (although you might still be able to juggle them anyway regardless of what they do). But for actually stun comboing F-air -> D-smash, it has to be like ridiculously frame perfect at around 50ish percent. For the most part not something you want to force, and when in doubt, Jabbing or grabbing instead is safer.

SKidd

Smash Master
what other fsmash things are there

Do tell A2Watch, do tell.

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
What about fair to tilted f-smash.

I've tried it before, and it does work in the mid percents. One of the few things that carries on from Melee.

Scorp-da-dorp.

Thoughts?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Yeah F-air F-smash...considering that F-air already has iffy safety on hit, I wouldn't count on it.

I prefer Fireball -> F-smash by far, which actually is a legit combo when spaced correctly.

What's also pretty **** is you throw someone upwards, and then you put a fireball where they try to land (if they airdodge). I did that to mars pretty recently. U-throw -> Fireball -> D-smash.

mars16

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5429-8906-2115
I will never forget that combo.

Is Downthrow,Uair,Uair combo only able to be done when there under 80%..?

Is it a A combo?

SKidd

Smash Master
They're*

and no, I don't believe it is. Heavies at low percents, however, is a combo, I believe.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
D-throw U-air only combos if your opponent doesn't airdodge, and then you have to be really careful about characters like Falco and Marth who can DI away and then D-air/F-air you respectively out of your combo.

D-throw U-air however works best when you have your opponent conditioned to jumping instead of airdodging, since you technically can hit them before they can initiate a jump.

Against a lot of characters, D-throw U-tilt is a more desireable combo at 0%.

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
If you guys are hitting with Forward Air, the opponent better be in the air. They'll go towards the ground and you just techchase with Usmash or grab or something.

I know what's up with Forward Air.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Yeah, techchasing after a F-air is pretty fun, especially since most people are very easy to read after getting knocked to the ground after it because usually it surprises the crap out of them.

And seriously fireballs for juggling are soooooo awesome. What makes them especially good in this situation is the ability to control more space and the ability for the fireball to cross up your opponent while you stay in front of your opponent, which gives you extra leeway in landing legit combos.

BSP

Smash Legend
Ok, when you're trying to finish a person off, and you get a grab at about 180%, would you Bthrow or Uthrow? Normally, I'd Bthrow, but it just sucks so bad at killing, I just use it to rack %. People always DI it and live :( even when it's fresh.

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
Bthrow should be killing on midweights at least at 180%. So I'd be using that. Maybe not heavyweights, honestly I dunno because I usually have the kill by then.

Calebyte

Smash Lord
Utilt kills midweights at about 180%, midlights at 160%. When my opponent is up that high, I usually go for a utilt.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
You don't have to wait that long. 180 is when heavyweights will start dying to U-tilt. 150-160 is the midweight range, and lighter characters you can probably get at 140ish.

Generally I save B-throw to about 165 against midweights and I usually have to grab them near the edge for the KO to work. Against the heaviest characters in the game, you have to wait until 180-190 before B-throw can kill them, and if the stage has a high ceiling, you might have to wait up to 200%. Against the light characters, you can kill them at around 140 with a B-throw near the edge.

Every so often I start looking to kill my opponent when their damage reaches around 80-90. If I think my game is on and if I can get in range to F-smash, I will usually go for it and charge F-smash, which often freaks out my opponent into doing something dumb like spotdodge or whiffing a poke.

When you're charging Up-smash, keep in mind that if you charge your Up-smash long enough so that it does 16 damage (which will happen more or less automatically if you do Sliding Up-smashes), it will usually kill the heaviest characters at around 125-130ish%. As an added bonus, charging U-smash this way usually makes it safe on block due to the extra shield pushback.

In other random news, I was fooling around with Fireball -> F-smash, and I actually managed to make both the fireball and the F-smash hit my opponent on the same frame, which training mode interpreted as a single hit that did 23 damage.

mars16

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5429-8906-2115
What U mean by whiffing a poke

Does that mean try to punch or punch enemy as they are charging a smash attack?

if it is I thought so...

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Hero, the sweetspot for Mario's jab is his fist right? I can never seem to land it when I'm fighting.
The front of the fist. If you hit the sweetspot, they'll slightly get pushed upwards. If you hit past the front of the fist, they'll just flinch.

I find F-air's best use as a anti-edgeguard.

I use B-throw for damage if I know I won't be following up attacks from the other throws.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Mario's Jab sweetspot is easiest to land on skinny characters. Characters who are kinda fat require a certain level of spacing to pop them in the air. There are other random facts like the way Pit and Samus bend towards you when you Jab them into the air which makes them fairly easy to U-tilt after Jab cancel. And against Kirby you have to delay grabbing him for a split second since his hard landing animation squishes him under your grab range (in that time, take a small step forward since Kirby is a kinda fat character that requires you to space Jab against in order to sweetspot). Alternatively, D-tilt, down-angled F-tilt, and D-smash all legit combo on Kirby.

Douhneill

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Douhneill
I figured Jab cancel -> Dsmash was a legit combo on anyone, same with the "True PPK".

Or was Hero Lying when he posted that? (at least I think it was Hero's post. It had that kind of format he uses)

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
(sweetspotted) Jab cancel D-smash (or D-tilt/F-tilt) combos on:

Kirby
Marth (beware his Up-B)
Pit
Samus
Luigi
Zelda
Peach
ROB
Jigglypuff
Lucario
Olimar

With Jab2 alone sweetspotted, refer to the list of characters that Luigi can Jab cancel D-smash, since the frame advantage on Mario's Jab2 is pretty much the same as Luigi's Jab1

With Jab1 + 2 sweetspotted, the only characters who cannot be comboed are space animals, Captain Falcon, and I think Sheik. But some characters like Diddy are STUPIDLY hard to link both sweetspotted Jabs on due to the way their hurtbox bends.

When in doubt, just use 2 Jabs -> Grab. And better yet, learn to hit confirm with Jabs. Be able to observe which part of Mario's Jab your opponent is getting hit by, and be able to react and combo after Jab 2 connects. To top it off be able to do this by releasing the A button after doing the autoJab on a spotdodge. This is how you make the most of Mario's closeup game.

BSP

Smash Legend
I'm guessing if you don't do it perfectly, Marth will hit you out of it. DS has invincibility and pretty good KO power.

OR, we could do that on purpose, shield the DS, and the fludd him off the stage. Should work pretty well since his horizontal air speed after DS is very poor.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Mario's Jab cancel combos (and pretty much every other Jab cancel combo in the game that matters) are actually "juggles", not true hitstun combos. Your opponent technically can act before you can cancel into another move, but because they are put into the air slightly, one of the actions they cannot do is block. It's very difficult for most people to retaliate with an aerial, so you shouldn't worry about that for the most part.

When you Jab cancel Marth however, while he cannot block in between Jab and D-smash, he can Dolphin Slash you before the D-smash connects.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
What stage would Ganon take Mario to? I tend to go for FD, and obviously know to avoid RC at all costs, but I'm sure there is a better stage. Keep in mind what seems to be a rising tendency to have Pirate Ship and Norfair banned.

I'm personally thinking Pirate Ship or Japes. If we keep to the right on Japes, it reduces your ability greatly to gimp us, and we can UAir you through the platform. Not gonna say much else because I'm tired, but some help with this would be... helpful.

Naisora

Smash Apprentice
Mario's Jab cancel combos (and pretty much every other Jab cancel combo in the game that matters) are actually "juggles", not true hitstun combos. Your opponent technically can act before you can cancel into another move, but because they are put into the air slightly, one of the actions they cannot do is block. It's very difficult for most people to retaliate with an aerial, so you shouldn't worry about that for the most part.

When you Jab cancel Marth however, while he cannot block in between Jab and D-smash, he can Dolphin Slash you before the D-smash connects.
Yeah, that one frame up B is a bit anoyying, but what i do sometimes is bait it, and punish it HARD. Sometimes they unexpectedly use it though...

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Japes is such an awful stage for Ganon in general that Ganon should really consider banning it in most circumstances. Ganon doesn't really have the tools to approach people who camp on the side platforms. All he can do is attempt to "plank" or hope they get grabbed by an aerial Flame Choke. Mario who is definitely going to be camping Ganon on Japes is going to be very difficult for Ganon to approach, and he will probably just camp until Ganon is in range to be killed by B-throw.

What's funny is pretty much all the stages Mario is bad on, Ganon is worse on. Mario doesn't like Yoshi's interfering with his camping, but Ganon HATES getting autocancels ruined on that stage even more. RC is not very good for Mario's recovery, but it's by far worse for Ganon's. Lylat messes up Mario's camping quite a bit, but it ruins Ganon's autocancels even more.

Your best bet is probably something like Castle Seige, as the first transformation is pretty small and leaves Mario less room to run away, and the 2nd transformation gives you a buffer against camping, while the 3rd one really isn't all that helpful.

Delphino isn't too bad for Ganon either and recovery gimping should be fairly minimal on that stage as well. Some of the transformations are pretty hard for Ganon to approach on though.

mars16

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5429-8906-2115
Since stages like Castle seige is a better choice for Mario vs Ganon for ganon wouldn't Brianstar(The one were the yellow stuff rises) be a good stage for Ganon?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Brinstar is okay for Ganon if due to "free" Ganoncides alone, but it's a much better stage for Mario.

Top Bottom