• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Questions and Answers; Ask here first!

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
The main use of D-smash is for punishes. If you see them open for it, it's one of your most practical options in terms of raw damage, and you can use it to substitute U-smash in land trap juggles. Trying to Jab cancel into it (actually, Jab cancel comboing in general with Mario) is easiest to do on floaty but skinny characters, like Pit, Peach, and Marth. D-smash's horizontal range is actually completely identical to Jab1's horizontal range (tested extensively in the wifi waiting room for phantom hits).

A tactic I'm trying to experiment with is charging D-smash. Specifically, I'm trying it after fireballs. Two things people might do if they are worried about getting grabbed after a fireball is either spotdodge or roll forward. The idea I'm playing around with is that D-smash might cover both options, and if they so happen to shield it when it's charged, it's safer on block.

You might want to charge U-smash instead in that situation if you're going for a kill (credits to Flameleon for the idea). Although it's different from D-smash in that it's better at hitting from behind as opposed to the front.

Omari

Smash Journeyman
Tested d-smash on the sandbag in training mode. When Mario's phantom jab hits the sandbag (front/back), his d-smash is confirmed to hit from the exact same distance.

Interesting because I've always thought his jab to have better range but I see now that it's the opposite (his d-smash has slightly better range until proven otherwise). Thanks A2ZOMG.

Height?: Since it only covers front/back (less damage) how can we as Mario mains make true use of this? Granted, you want your punishes to be guaranteed but is 15%+/- worth gaining opposed to potentially gaining another setup (re-positioning opponent to favor you) regarding punishing?

Zwarm

Smash Hero
yes you're right. AND iirc, you swallow-cided me at 222% on your last stock on lylat, while I was at 0%.... That was my last game of my first pools set ever and I lost every game because of that.... lol
Lol, yep, I remember doing that. I think it was game 2, though. If it was game 3, I probably would've gone ROB, I was never able to trust my Dedede completely except against Metaknight and Wario. Now... I just play Peach. I'll still use ROB for a few other MU's, but I'm mostly all Peach now.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
The main use of D-smash is for punishes. If you see them open for it, it's one of your most practical options in terms of raw damage, and you can use it to substitute U-smash in land trap juggles. Trying to Jab cancel into it (actually, Jab cancel comboing in general with Mario) is easiest to do on floaty but skinny characters, like Pit, Peach, and Marth. D-smash's horizontal range is actually completely identical to Jab1's horizontal range (tested extensively in the wifi waiting room for phantom hits).

A tactic I'm trying to experiment with is charging D-smash. Specifically, I'm trying it after fireballs. Two things people might do if they are worried about getting grabbed after a fireball is either spotdodge or roll forward. The idea I'm playing around with is that D-smash might cover both options, and if they so happen to shield it when it's charged, it's safer on block.

You might want to charge U-smash instead in that situation if you're going for a kill (credits to Flameleon for the idea). Although it's different from D-smash in that it's better at hitting from behind as opposed to the front.
I've actually been doing exactly what you're describing here for the same reasons. Fireball -> spaced charged Dsmash is very effective, especially near the ledge (when the opponent's back is to the ledge) because it covers so many options at the same time AND is relatively safe because of how far it pushes shielding opponents.

Spotdodge? That's what charging's for. This is what you want them to do after they shield that fireball and see you rushing behind it. Charge a tad longer to wait it out, then let them have it. A GREAT mix-up for if you've been doing a lot of fireball -> grabbing since shielding (the fireball) -> spotdodge counters that.

Roll forward (behind you)? The tail end of Dsmash will hit them. I'm personally trying out turning around before I dsmash on opponents that have a pattern of rolling behind me when they feel pressured (Pit, Lucario, MK...****ty players in general).

Shield? If you're gutsy, hold on to the dsmash incase they may spotdodge OOS. Otherwise, go ahead and hit the shield with your Dsmash. There's not much OOS from any character with the speed and range to punish a charged, spaced Dsmash on shield. Powershielding the fireball kinda throws a wrench in this strategy if your spacing is off.

So yeah, try this out. It's pretty legit, imo. Thanks, A2 for bringing this up.

Inferno3044

Smash Master
It sounds like it can work, but it would definitely have to work through conditioning. Also PSing fireballs is easy which as Matador said kinda messes it up. Personally if someone charged any smash and I was in shield, I would roll away. Also, Dsmash like most of Mario's moves, has crappy range so if they move out of range, you're gonna get hit in the face with something. Depending on the character it would be deadly. Definitely not an option I would use all the time, but it sounds like a good mixup.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Roll forward (behind you)? The tail end of Dsmash will hit them. I'm personally trying out turning around before I dsmash on opponents that have a pattern of rolling behind me when they feel pressured (Pit, Lucario, MK...****ty players in general).
Alternatively, against someone who you know is conditioned to roll towards you, charging U-smash works as well. I stole that particular tactic from Flameleon. It's pretty funny to do this especially when your opponent is in the range to get killed by it.

Whenever I kill people with Mario, G&W, or Luigi's U-smashes, I'm in the habit of saying "HEADSHOT!"

Inferno3044

Smash Master
I normally run a bit closer to ensure the hit. It's a bad habit of some people (including myself at times) to roll when they are backed to the ledge so it's good to punish.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I've actually started killing that habit due to wifi.

Wifi tactic #1:

Back someone to the ledge
Walk up to them
Charge Fsmash in the other direction
Watch them roll into it

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Wario's spotdodge is super overrated. I mean yeah, he has a bit of Z axis shenanigans, which to my knowledge mainly makes it more difficult to grab him, but I just think people aren't used to picking attacks that cover vulnerable frames reliably. He should NEVER be getting away with it against any character that has an autoJab. If your character has an autoJab and he's punishing you with spotdodge, you're definitely doing something wrong.

I mean it's the only reason why Ally's Falcon lost to Gluttony some time ago. He literally forgot that autoJabbing was an option. He was otherwise dominating the set pretty convincingly, minus that oversight. Once Falcon players realize that Wario really doesn't have the tools to get in on Falcon's U-air and AutoJab, I think we'll start seeing more opinions besides from those of Bassem and Ally that agree that Falcon does in fact have the advantage on Wario.

Inferno3044

Smash Master
It's overrated, but it's still pretty good. Not every character has an autojab. Falco's is amazing though. During his whole spotdodge animation he has a total of 3 frames available. One at the beginning and 2 at the end.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
True, not every character can autoJab, but MOST characters generally have a move (generally an aerial) besides grab that can safely cover spotdodge. It honestly baffles me that people call Wario's spotdodge amazing, when to be frank, it's average. Only remotely threatening since Wario's F-smash has reasonably early super armor and because his grab range is slightly above average.

AutoJab is mentioned though because Wario's ground tools generally are far too slow to contest against most other superior Jabs in this game.

AllyKnight

Banned via Administration
Wario's spotdodge is super overrated. I mean yeah, he has a bit of Z axis shenanigans, which to my knowledge mainly makes it more difficult to grab him, but I just think people aren't used to picking attacks that cover vulnerable frames reliably. He should NEVER be getting away with it against any character that has an autoJab. If your character has an autoJab and he's punishing you with spotdodge, you're definitely doing something wrong.

I mean it's the only reason why Ally's Falcon lost to Gluttony some time ago. He literally forgot that autoJabbing was an option. He was otherwise dominating the set pretty convincingly, minus that oversight. Once Falcon players realize that Wario really doesn't have the tools to get in on Falcon's U-air and AutoJab, I think we'll start seeing more opinions besides from those of Bassem and Ally that agree that Falcon does in fact have the advantage on Wario.
Can,t concentrate with the crowd!

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
It's alright man. There's a lot of other things you do right and your Falcon still deserves a ton of credit for that.
Is it weird that one of my goals is for A2 to say **** like this about my Mario?

*starts ducking aerials and autojabbing vs Yoshi/Wario/ROB's spotdodges*

:phone:

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
Don't worry Matador. I'm not praised for my ability to be amazingly sexy with Mario on these boards either. Unless I am and I just missed it.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Don't worry Matador. I'm not praised for my ability to be amazingly sexy with Mario on these boards either. Unless I am and I just missed it.
I think you're pretty good, lol.

Wish you were still active though. We need more good Marios!

Omari

Smash Journeyman
Don't john for him Inferno.

Matador, you know your Mario's damn good so why do you need someone else to say likewise?

Hope you're not Insecure & BTW: Next time you see me at an offline tournament, shout my name out! Feels bad not knowing (or remembering) who you are. Not playing you offline blows but those AiB matches were mad fun bruh.

A2ZOMG: Which d-air (FH or SH) is better for pressuring (& frame trapping) opponents on platforms (BF, u-tilt is a great start for low risk/high reward poking but is there a more aggro way)? I'd like an in-depth explanation, thanks.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I wasn't kidding when I said the only thing Ally did wrong that set was forget to autoJab.

I mean if that literally was the only thing he forgot to do, that's easily fixed, and in the future I know he should ideally beat Gluttony the next time he faces him since Falcon beats Wario.

And Xero, I did praise your playstyle before, but you probably missed it. More recently I used your playstyle as an example of a well-played example of Mario vs Wario (which you lost, but w/e).

If you want me to praise you Matador, I'm pretty sure playing you from ages ago is the reason why I fell in love with Mario's F-smash. Especially when I look at your old matches, you kinda had the right idea about that move before anyone else on this forum as I recall.

Honestly the only problem most of us have as Mario users is we don't get out enough. We probably know enough to take down a few names if we actually got out. Though I think the spotlight should still remain on 2fast.

@Omari:
Generally speaking on BF, you use fullhop D-air to shield poke the top platform. SH D-air to do the same to the lower platforms. If they manage to shield that, mix in some double jump aerials of your choice to continue the pressure and prevent them from squirming out of shield safely (the best option to escape platform pressure is generally to jump out of shield after angling shield down. This applies in general, and this is a KEY reason why Mario benefits more from Brinstar than pretty much everyone not named Metaknight, since you generally can't platform camp against Mario, while he can do that back to everyone else just fine on Brinstar especially when he's not worrying about all the other characters who can usually U-tilt/U-smash through platforms).

MOSTLY though you want to SH D-air on BF if someone is above you on this stage. It acts as a bit of an option select, because you can do this to cover their landing if they try to land on the platform or land below it. It can be either difficult or close to impossible for some characters to touch the ground safely if you simply SH D-air a lot from underneath the low platforms because you control a lot of space in this manner, both vertical and horizontal.

On Brinstar, the same strategies as on BF apply for the most part. SH D-airs to cover the low platforms (you might want to practice learning to space so that you aren't touching the pillars while D-airing), and fullhop D-air to cover the top platform. What's especially sick about Brinstar is that from the right position, you can fullhop D-air -> U-air without using a jump to pressure a shielding opponent on the top platform. If you destroy the side pillars, fullhop D-air is also INCREDIBLE for pressuring someone who chooses to then stand on the side platforms. Don't believe me, try Fullhop D-air -> B-air sometime. Though it's a bit of a decision to make since it's a little easier to fireball camp when you don't destroy the pillars.

U-tilt from below platform is kinda difficult except against wide characters on BF. It's a little easier to do on Lylat if you're standing on a part of the stage that is tilting, though you generally don't want to play on that stage unless you're fine with your opponents (especially Snake) surviving even longer.

Omari

Smash Journeyman
Thanks A2ZOMG. MO, s-h d-air=low-risk/low-reward (due to exposing Mario as least as possible while poking) & f-h d-air=mid-risk/high reward (due to many potential follow-ups to benefit Mario).

Battle-Field (BF): regarding platform control (lower platforms)

1. Your s-h d-air should be delayed (before you reach the apex of the jump) if you're going to attempt s-h d-airing your opponent on low platforms (delay=more hits/shield pressure/poking).

2. You f-h d-air should be buffered (instant piano technique), then followed up with another air (d-air>extra shield pressure/poking or n-air>covering both sides are recommended) if you're going to attempt f-h d-airing your opponent on low platforms. B-air (opponent's behind Mario) or U-air (opponent's facing Mario) for continuing possible strings/combos is another good option but more risk.

Of course these two scenarios are character dependent which I'll get more in-depth (which characters are safe to f-h d-air on the low platforms of BF) soon.

Unfortunately for Smash-Ville (SV), Mario can't follow-up with another air due to the platform's additional height (slightly higher than BF's low platforms). Mario can (however) buffer another air from is DJ (Double Jump) which can become very useful at mid percents.

You're right about Brin-Star (BS). I'd have to experiment (& gain more experience with that stage before going more in detail) first.

My focus=low-risk/high reward (any scenario).

Questions: What are your thought(s) about f-h d-air (with follow ups) opponents on the low platforms (BF, SV & BS for starters)? What are your thoughts about poking with both s-h & f-h b-air when your opponent(s) on a platform? To my knowledge thus far, the most effective options Mario has is u-tilt, d-air & b-air. U-air has to be thoroughly broken down to determine it's effectiveness when in competitive game-play. F-air works too but IMO is high-risk/low reward which isn't worth the trouble at all (not to forget 26 frames of landing lag).

About Mario's jab/d-smash: When tested on a blast box (since the surface is both horizontally & vertically flat), I believe his jab has slightly longer range (phantom hit) than his d-smash.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
SH D-air should be buffered on BF to shield pressure. This lets you double jump consistently to continue the pressure to best prevent them from jumping out of shield, or to potentially combo at low percents.

The other thing that is slightly overlooked is the fact that you can reach the top platform on BF with fullhop F-air (has to be delayed). It's not super practical like D-airing, but the spacing is perfect for potentially shield poking. Given that Mario usually stales all of his other aerials, finding a use for F-air is worthwhile. Fullhop F-air also done buffered autocancels on the low platforms, though actually using this for platform pressure is questionable, though you can start some interesting combos if you spike with F-air in this situation. At low percents, I find that it's not uncommon to trip someone by meteoring them with F-air from below the platforms, and you definitely can get some followups if you cause someone to trip after a SH F-air.

I'm not sure what your point is about Smashville. Mario can definitely pressure with SH D-air on Smashville's platform. The only problem is you can't really reach out the entire way with SH D-air when the platform hangs out on the side.

If I'm fullhop D-airing someone on a platform, either they're on the top platform of BF/BS, or I'm crossing them over. If they're at low percents and you're coming from on top of them with a D-air, follow up with U-air immediately after to potentially start a combo.

I don't know anyone else besides me who is aware of this, but a perfectly buffered fullhop U-airx2 autocancels on BF's low platforms. If you hit with the late part of the 2nd U-air and turn around, it's REALLY powerful at starting combos, but I don't find this personally practical given how safe D-air is.

Omari

Smash Journeyman
You have the option to follow-up f-h d-air with another air (4/5 airs without DJ) if your opponent is on BF's lower platforms. You can't follow-up unless you DJ on SV (my point).

Your thoughts about b-air (any tournament stage with platforms)

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
B-air's alright. It doesn't seem hard to shield poke with the fullhopped version against people who stand on platforms.

Omari

Smash Journeyman
On BS, you can use either u-air or b-air when full hopping but you're not supposed to land on side platforms correct?

I'm working on another thread during spare time about guaranteed setups (how to get free grabs, jabs, smashes beneficial to you). One of those setups is a pivoted u-air>pivot grab (non-dash) when low to ground (can be fast fell). The hit-box may be the reason why Mario has the option to grab & u-tilt after his pivoted u-air.

From 0%, b-air can only guarantee either a jab (21%, my favorite combo) or a SJP (high-risk worth +3%). I believe there's a three frame advantage when b-air hits, which explains why you can't follow-up with any tilt (ignore d-tilt) or d-smash after. Another cool setup that I love doing to my opponents is u-air>grab>f-throw>fireball>d-air (in place)>u-air/b-air stringing.

What's even more gdlk is the fact that you can switch fireball (grounded) to f-h fireball (for combo-bag characters)>fast fall d-air>jab>anything (d-smash gets the job done) like u-tilt>grab>u-throw>more Mario ****?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Free setups:

Aerial -> grab from 0 until past like 35% or so, don't remember the specifics, but generally you should be grabbing after aerials since most people will hold shield in case your string doesn't combo. Unless it's U-air, since you can get really easy U-tilts after U-airs since the U-airs force the opponent off the ground giving you extra frame advantage.

Perfectly spaced Fireballs lead to free grabs that basically only can be spotdodged or rolled away from preemptively. You HAVE to know the spacing required for this, as well as the spacing to follow up with F-smash after fireballs.

If you see an airdodge coming (easy to force on someone like DK after D-throwing him), try to hit him with the late hitbox of DA, and then turnaround grab at like any percent. At kill percents combo into U-smash instead. Alternatively doing fireballs after throwing someone can be really effective at limiting their landing options.

Really risky, but D-air landing hitbox on aerial opponents leads to free D-smash, F-tilt, or grab. Character dependent, generally easiest to do on heavy characters.

It's hard to do, but being able to hit confirm when you're Jabbing an aerial opponent is extremely powerful, since this is one of the most reliable ways of comboing into D-smash at any percent. Not as necessary on floaty skinny characters like Pit, Marth, Peach, Zelda, Olimar...where your standard 2 hit Jab confirm is much easier to do.

Not sure what else counts as "free", besides standard edgetrapping and juggling.

Other things I don't see enough of:

U-throw at 0 on certain characters. Space animals in particular, since this is a much better way of setting up U-air juggles and gives you more time to react to their airdodge on a read. I know Marth, Link, and Falcon are also fairly decent to U-throw at 0 when you're doing U-air juggles, though you may want to also consider that you might be able to U-tilt them depending on their DI, though U-throw is less affected by DI.

N-air edgetrapping. It's REALLY good. If you space it correctly, the only way most characters can get up from the edge against it is by edgerolling, which if you read is EXTREMELY punishable.

Saving B-throw for kills. Honestly this is SO FREE as long as you keep it fresh since it's from a grab. Just you have to be patient for it. I see enough Mario users who don't have trouble getting their opponent to 160% and beyond (which honestly means they're kicking ***, except they might also be one of those players that is bad at KO move management). If they simply picked F-throw instead of B-throw until that percent range, they would be doing much better.

Grabbing the edge before edgeguarding. This tactic from Melee is still very very powerful in this game since you get invincibility frames for ANYTHING if you drop from the edge fast enough. It's not hard for Mario to abuse since he has fast aerials that linger a bit, and it's worth keeping in mind the fact his N-air has decent gimp potential.

Edgeguarding with fireballs. I mean really. It sounds kinda silly, but this tactic is not only practical, it's really really good. If you're good at aiming them, either your opponent gets hit by the fireballs, or they do something to deliberately avoid them. That often means they are jumping over them, which you can easily read and punish. Also funny is simply throwing someone offstage with F-throw and doing an immediate grounded fireball. It's such a simple tactic, but it is REALLY good at covering options. I especially love doing this against characters like Snake and Donkey Kong.

Inferno3044

Smash Master
@Omari - the crowd really can help/hinder someone. Having basically the whole place against you can put mess you up mentally. It can be to any degree no matter how use to it you are. Same goes with people cheering for you. I was cheered by basically the whole room at Apex 2 and I did really well that match. Didn't win because my opponent was a better player but I did well and I had confidence. And probably them cheering for me messed him up a bit (he did drop a couple of IC grabs). The low tier thing, well Falcon isn't very good even if his MU is fairly good against Wario.

Omari

Smash Journeyman
@A2ZOMG: The term "free" or "for free" means, A catch-all fighting game term that indicates an action is guaranteed & risk-free, e.g. "After guarding X move, you can land Y combo for free."

Wouldn't d-throw>QDA (IDA) be more risky? You have other safe options (jumping opposite of which you grabbed your opponent (to observe their reaction(s), then punish accordingly), pivot-grabbing (not sure exactly why this is safe & I'd like to know why experienced smashers use this technique including myself), shielding against opponents who can't grab while airborne (which covers all possible punishes temporarily & can be follow-up with any OoS), charge an u-smash to anti-air (usually covering air dodges, punishes & keeping pressure) to follow-up on further.

Regarding following-up d-air>jab, f-tilt, d-smash, SJP or grab after the last landing hit-box:

1. Jab>risk-free/guaranteed (requires no specific timing to master, excellent against a good portion of roster & can follow-up since your opponent is technically still airborne leaving you with frame advantage)
2. F-tilt>low-risk/low reward (requires specific timing to master, has the most chance to combo but unfortunately has no true follow-ups)
3. D-smash>high-risk/high reward (potential kill setup guaranteed on a few characters)
4. SJP>high-risk/low reward (Being flashy? Yes! Worth it? No.)
5. Grab>depends (usually your opponent will shield after so walking up grabbing proves to be safe in a sense)

I'm not sure why smashers would anti-air with Mario's jab. Could be I misunderstood you or you didn't explain something clear enough.

@Inferno: After empathizing, I do see where you're coming from (thanks) but it's the player's (smasher's) job to stay focused on facts (playing to win at all cost)-not opinions (what others may or may not think after). I've been on both sides of the fence so I can relate.

Inferno3044

Smash Master
I'm almost certain that pivot grab has an increased grab range. It also helps because as well as grabbing you are putting yourself farther away from opponent. Honestly, I don't use it much because I've never really seen it as a vital part of his metagame like it is for Yoshi and Olimar.

With Ally, I'm partially sympathizing because I think he is a good guy and an amazing player. I'm not gonna meat ride him and say if there was no crowd he would've definitely won. A loss is a loss and you learn from mistakes.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Wouldn't d-throw>QDA (IDA) be more risky? You have other safe options (jumping opposite of which you grabbed your opponent (to observe their reaction(s), then punish accordingly), pivot-grabbing (not sure exactly why this is safe & I'd like to know why experienced smashers use this technique including myself), shielding against opponents who can't grab while airborne (which covers all possible punishes temporarily & can be follow-up with any OoS), charge an u-smash to anti-air (usually covering air dodges, punishes & keeping pressure) to follow-up on further.
The POINT of doing Dash attack on a landing opponent is with the assumption that you are reacting to a read airdodge. This is matchup specific to an extent, since it's much easier to force certain characters to airdodge. But most people are going to try to DI away from you, and the DA just increases your chances of properly frametrapping their landing.

One matchup where you definitely should be doing this is against Donkey Kong. Donkey Kong is almost never going to do any aerials besides B-air when landing. If he DIs away from you, which is the PROPER way to DI from Mario's D-throw generally, his front side will be facing you, and you generally can assume that he'll try to airdodge to the ground and hope his high aerial top speed makes it harder for you to follow up with aerials. And generally speaking when he's above you, you should be trying to exploit his aerial blindspots in general by paying attention to which side he's facing.

Also, pivot grab is another tool that helps you properly space your land trap grabs. It covers about twice the range of a standard grab. It's not necessary, but it's definitely helpful. Especially if you run in one direction and realize you might accidentally overshoot how far they are moving away from you.

The other use I have for pivot grab is covering rolls. I'm usually pretty confident in my ability to space grabs after fireballs, so in the games I play, I'm usually expecting my opponents to be afraid of getting grabbed after I throw fireballs. If I expect them to roll forward, pivot grab imo is the best way to cover this.

I'm not sure why smashers would anti-air with Mario's jab. Could be I misunderstood you or you didn't explain something clear enough.
I was merely saying that if you manage to hit someone who is in the air with Mario's Jab, which can happen for example if someone jumps out of shield under pressure and you just happen to Jab them then or if you Jab someone whose feet are off the edge, being able to recognize when you're Jabbing someone who is in the air is a REALLY good way of knowing when it's okay to combo into D-smash. This isn't something to rely on. It's just something that you should keep in mind since when it does happen, it can really give you the advantage if you're able to recognize that situation quickly.

Something like this moment for example. I'm not sure if I could replicate that easily, but the point is I was able to recognize from his height upon hitting him that Ness was in the air when I Jabbed him, and then I reacted with a D-smash to get the kill that I knew was basically guaranteed.

Omari

Smash Journeyman
Thoughts about n-air>d-tilt edge-guarding (any %)?

My favorite edge-guarding tactic: n-air (covering most ledge options)>jab (gimp setup)>dash offstage+pivot fireball (insuring gimp)>d-j n-air (confirming gimp)>SJP (stage spike if needed).

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Interesting tactic, though from what it sounds like, I'd rather Jab -> D-smash in that situation. If you're in a position to land D-tilt off the edge, you probably could be getting the kill with D-smash instead. Though maybe that's only for me personally, since I use D-smash far less than most other Mario users from what I can tell.

I edgeguard with ledgedrop aerials a lot these days. It's a habit from Melee, and I think it's one worth keeping since you still get invul frames from grabbing the ledge.

Omari

Smash Journeyman
Was reviewing Boss's set with ADHD at VC8 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFTuWeb6lIA) when I came across part 3:17-3:20 (I'm not sure how you make the link skip to a certain part in the video).

In addition to his n-air (onstage)>n-air (offstage) attempt, I believe Boss would've gotten a gimp kill if he had let go of the ledge (slightly)>free falling n-aired or pivot fireball (since his opponent his directly below the ledge).

This can also can be applied to characters (Falco, Diddy, Wolf, etc) who we force to recover low when attempting gimp setups.

Interesting fact: When hanging from the ledge on Battle-Field (BF), you can free or fast fall>d-j buffer a fireball so that fireball shoots straight down (you're aiming at the slant). You can make the fireball shoot straight down without double jumping but it's more difficult (& your opponent has to be directly under the end of the slant).

Top Bottom