• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Universe Mario Kart General Discussion - 200CC Announced | Second DLC Pack Coming in May!

Thino

Smash Master
Thino, that's not natural...
Thats why I said even though it's still a really good in terms of balance compared to the Mario Kart series, it's not as balanced as you guys seem to make it out to be

but as somebody already mentioned, not being balanced IS the point of the Mario Kart series

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
But at least you have to earn that advantage. The problem with MK is that advantages earned are removed unfairly.

:phone:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
As you advance through Diddy Kong Racing, however, the CPU racers do get harder to beat. And unlike the Mario Kart titles, you HAVE to finish in 1st place, which is not easy when you have CPUs that have speed handicaps.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I don't really understand DKR at a competitive level. You're supposed to tap A to go faster but it didn't seem to work for me, are there only certain times you're meant to do it?

Also, whenever I skidded, I would burn out. Is that because I held it too long or because of some other kind of technical error on my behalf?

Thino

Smash Master
I don't really understand DKR at a competitive level. You're supposed to tap A to go faster but it didn't seem to work for me, are there only certain times you're meant to do it?

Also, whenever I skidded, I would burn out. Is that because I held it too long or because of some other kind of technical error on my behalf?
the optimal time to mash A is every 4 frames, but since this is obviously impossible to do on human level, let's just say you have to mash A REALLY hard.

that Banjo video I posted on the other page, without mashing A I'm about 2 or 3 seconds slower which is kinda huge on tracks that are not as short as Jungle Falls.

I do think that for skidding you have not to hold the same direction while skidding for too long.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Ok so you're just supposed to mash the entire time, but just really hard.

At the moment I'm really only interested in adventure mode (which I never finished as a kid) but I'm guessing I don't need ATs for that and that you could solo it with any character.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Random question what do people think of the Piranha Prowler in MKWii?
It's not exactly the greatest kart to use, but at least it's easier to operate than the Jetsetter. Of course, the Piranha Prowler is easier to control with Automatic drifting.

BSP

Smash Legend
^^^^Until the quacker gets ahead of it that is.

The Pprowler is only good for what Thino said. Otherwise, enjoy running into walls a lot.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
^^^^Until the quacker gets ahead of it that is.

The Pprowler is only good for what Thino said. Otherwise, enjoy running into walls a lot.
The Piranha Prowler is faster though, so the Quacker won't be able to outrun it so easily.

BSP

Smash Legend
You'd think that

But I remember the 6 quacker and 6 Pprowler tournament. The Pprowlers were always behind.

Brickbox

Smash Master
3DS FC
0344-9566-1729
Sorry Mr. Doom I can't play.

Ive been put of town and I'm very tired and I wanna watch e3

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Random question, is the best vehicle for every character in MKWii simply the best vehicle for that weight class (eg. Bullet bill, mach bike, flame runner) or are there viable gimmicks that rely on character stats too?

So take Diddy for example. Should he just simply use the Mach bike or are there other gimmick vehicles to compliment his specific stats?

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
Yeah, Toadette for example has the best offroad stat in combination with the Magikruiser and can generally take grass/dirt cuts conveniently in comparison to others who can't and require a mushroom. Really though, I don't see any reason to not go Bullet/Mach/Bowser Bikes since they are what you will perform fastest in for the best time possible in order to keep up and/or excel past your competition (on most tracks).

I say most since Lightweight/Magikruiser pretty much secures a 1st place for you on offroad-tracks such as Sherbet Land and Shy Guy Beach. While the Spear/Sneakster prove well on any track with generally straight lines and little-to-no tight turns, such as Mario and Luigi Circuits, and Peach Beach. I feel these tracks aren't numerous enough nor picked enough to consider switching vehicles, though. I usually don't like going "uncommon" vehicles anyways since I usually find myself relying too heavily on certain tracks to be picked in order to compliment my combination's stats rather than picking tracks I actually like, lol.

BSP

Smash Legend
Gatlin nailed it. Most courses that people like are perfectly suited for the big 3, so you may as well stick with those.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
You know, for some reason, Mario Kart 7's Red Monster wheels seem to get the same treatment as Mario Kart Wii's Mach Bike and Flame Runner.

And the odd part of this scenario is that the Red Monster isn't exactly different from the Monster, apart from helping some kart bodies reach the next acceleration level for certain character classes.

At least unlike the Mario Kart Wii's Mach Bike and Flame Runner, the Monster and Red Monster offer off-road boosts to counter their handling flaws, and to go with their speed boosts, making them much more reliable than the Slick and Gold Tires, which suffer from bad handling AND bad off-road.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
But for a combo like Metal Mario + B Dasher, you're better off with the Monster than the Red Monster, since it's impossible to get to 1.75 acceleration for the B Dasher with either of those wheels when using a heavy class character. If anything, you'd be better off boosting your combo's weight.

But still, there are those who are completely oblivious to Mario Kart 7's acceleration mechanics, and will do a 1.25 acceleration combo, regardless of the fact that that type of combo accelerates at the same rate as a 0.75 acceleration combo.

Besides, you're don't really see a major mini-turbo difference when you compare one combo with 5.5 mini-turbo, while the other has 0.75 mini-turbo. And with enough effort, you can easily handle the lack of air handling boosts that the Super Glider, Beast Glider, and Gold Glider have to deal with. The downside, however, is that certain glider shortcuts would be harder to pull off if the combo's air handling is too weak.

Brickbox

Smash Master
3DS FC
0344-9566-1729
I agree but I guess people just want to go all out and front run.

I love B dasher red monster with lightweight :3

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I agree but I guess people just want to go all out and front run.

I love B dasher red monster with lightweight :3
I will admit that some of the combos that I've used do have me wasting acceleration points, but it's mostly for preference matters.

Anyway, while there are those who like to spam the fast combos, it takes just one Spiny Shell to mess everything up. The only problem is, if you want good acceleration to go with the high speed, you're pretty much stuck with the following combos...

Feather + Bruiser + Slick + Paraglider (Swooper, Flower Glider, Peach Parasol)
Feather + Zucchini + Slick + Paraglider (Swooper, Flower Glider, Peach Parasol)

However, those two combos are not exactly reliable, because they suffer from bad handling AND bad off-road. If your focus is speed, acceleration, and off-road, then you're pretty much stuck with the following...

Feather + Soda Jet + Monster + Paraglider (Swooper, Flower Glider, Peach Parasol)
Feather + Soda Jet + Red Monster + Super Glider (Beast Glider, Gold Glider)
Feather + Barrel Train + Red Monster + Paraglider (Swooper, Flower Glider, Peach Parasol)
Light + Bumble V + Red Monster + Paraglider (Swooper, Flower Glider, Peach Parasol)

Needless to say, you can't go any higher than 4 speed if you want 3.75 acceleration, and 5+ off-road.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
So I got MK7 recently and I'm liking it about as much as Double Dash and DS(I couldn't get into MKWii as much, the controls felt off to me.). But it's a real pain trying to get 3 stars on 150cc. I mostly use Mario with the B-dasher, Red Monster wheels, and the Super Glider.

TheUltimateKoopa

Banned via Warnings
So er.... this hasn't had a post since April.

And since then, Mario Kart 8. Surely that's worth talking about? Or is everyone strictly anti-non-Super-Smash-Bros?

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
So I got MK7 recently and I'm liking it about as much as Double Dash and DS(I couldn't get into MKWii as much, the controls felt off to me.). But it's a real pain trying to get 3 stars on 150cc. I mostly use Mario with the B-dasher, Red Monster wheels, and the Super Glider.
Here's a little tip that helped me greatly:

Keep your eyes on the touch screen every time opponents grab items. They never use items immediately, waiting for about 5 or so seconds before launching them. If one of them has a blue shell on hand, slow down and let the 2nd place opponent pass you, so that they take the full force of the blue shell, while you can drive on merrily. This also helps if an opponent has a lightning bolt, since you can plan ahead for when they launch it (i.e. waiting for them to launch it before doing the huge jumps in Wii Mapletree Way, DS Airship Fortress, DS Waluigi Pinball, etc.).

The touch screen is your friend when aiming for a 3-star rank.

Top Bottom