• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Universe Mario Kart General Discussion - 200CC Announced | Second DLC Pack Coming in May!

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Does anyone even come to the Mario subforum anymore? lol

Oh well new trailer

Rosalina and babies. But still no sign of Bowser's pimpmobile

Kon

Smash Journeyman
Speaking of Mario Kart 8:
Do you think it makes sense to group characters from the Mario Kart roster into franchises like we do in SSB?

I think it's quite a point we could at least talk about as there is at least the possibility to group the characters into franchises as I did here with the MKWii roster:
Donkey Kong: Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Funky Kong
Yoshi: Yoshi, Baby Mario, Baby Luigi, Baby Peach
Luigi's Mansion: Luigi, King Boo
Super Mario: Mario, Peach, Rosalina, Daisy, Toad, Koopa Troopa, Drybones, Birdo, Bowser Jr, Bowser, Dry Bowser
Mario Spinoffs: Waluigi
(Wario Land/WarioWare: Wario) -> only Wario is in the roster from his own series
Original characters: Toadette, Baby Daisy
Others: Mii

Also: Since MK64, we got with every homeconsole installment a DK newcomer. In Double Dash we got Diddy and in MKWii we got Funky Kong. Why not take into account also the installments on GBA, DS and 3DS? Well, these always have less drivers than the "big" brothers on homeconsoles, so after all, for MK8 it doesn't really make sense to take other installments into account than the homeconsole ones.
Why could we expect another Kong for MK8? Well, Funky wasn't an obvious driver choice for MKWii and still Konno seemed to want another Kong in the roster. Because of Tropical Freeze, everyone is remembering Dixie(and Cranky) and Dixie would be a good choice in my opinion. I would be surprised if Konno were to not put Dixie in the game.

I also see a small chance too we may get another Luigi's Mansion driver because of Luigi's Mansion 2(Dark Moon) and the most obvious one appearing in both Luigi's Mansion games is Professor E.Gadd.

I also would keep Nabbit and Plessie into consideration. Nabbit could be the Honey Queen of MK8 having 2 appearances until now(just like Honey Queen in SMG1+2) while Nabbit even had a playable appearance in New Super Luigi U after his debut in New Super Mario Bros U. He's one of the new characters who could get a spot in the roster. Same goes for Plessie. Plessie can be put on an equal level with Rosalina(when MKWii came out, Rosalina only had an appearance in SMG1) having only one appearance until now. Plessie also has some level in SM3DW giving him some spotlight too. He's a character with some importance in SM3DW and while we would have the Sprixies as alternative characters from SM3DW, they are important for the plot somehow but you can't really say which Sprixie would deserve the spot. It's as if you were to request the koopa kids, you can't put them all in the roster and choosing one representative character out of them isn't that easy neither. Therefore I don't see the Sprixies getting in the roster and I think if there were a spot for a character from the recent Super Mario game, Plessie would be the choice. As we know from Honey Queen size is no argument to kick Plessie right away out of the list with possible newcomers.

Short version: I expect Dixie and I think Nabbit and Plessie are likely too. Prof E.Gadd may be less likely but I still think he has a chance of getting in the roster.

I really look forward to seeing the first newcomer being revealed for Mario Kart 8.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I'm expecting Nabbit at the very least personally. I'm still unsure on Plessie, but they shrunk Honey Queen down I guess so why not?

I'd actually be down with seeing some Warioware crew too, but it'll never happen sadly.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Im expecting Master Chief and Reggie will be playable characters.

James92

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jgrim92
I would love it if Mona and King K. Rool were in the game.(Doubt it will happen though:() I'd also be happy with some more obscure characters like Wart, Pauline, or Stanley the Bugman. Just no Wiggler or Honey Queen, please.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Dude Honey Queen would be the ****. Maybe they'll even add Cranky Kong since he's going to be playable in Tropical Freeze, that would be awesome!

Last edited:

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
There's a rumor going around that Lubba is going to be a playable character. Seems like a good addition imo.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
News flash to everyone. The Koopalings have entered the Mario Kart competition!!

Also, Mario Kart 8 is planned to be released on May 30.

Edit: Official Mario Kart artwork.

Last edited:

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Inb4 they also add Bowser Jr. and all the different colored Koopa Kids.

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
YAY!!!!!!!! KOOPALINGS!!!!!!! I'm serious, by the way.
Lemmy Koopa is my favorite Mario character, and I've thought about how awesome it would be if he made it into Mario Kart, but I thought it would never happen, because they would have to have all seven of them, but they added all of them, and I'm happy.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
This is so badass! Lemmy Koopa was probably my favourite. I have to wonder though, if there are any more new characters besides these guys joining in the mayhem, it might be hard to make different stat boosts for all of them. Unless of course, they decided to ditch the stat boosts altogether, which I would prefer; Daisy + Mach Bike was annoying in Mario Kart Wii.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
There's always Mario Kart 7's stat distribution, though it's always depressing to see heavier characters always suffer from bad acceleration values.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
On an actual serious note for once, I really do like the individual stat boosts, it makes every character different and allows you to find a playstyle you like and choose character/combos for your playstyle and different situations, they just need to balance out the different stats and make those other stats worthwhile. The reason MKWii was like that was because, for one, Accel was a completely useless stat, so the Accel characters, like Toad, were completely trash in competitive play, OffRoad did diddly squat outside of stages like SGB, and with Bikes having wheelies and inward drift, this invalidated Karts and Drift as stats 99% of the times making the only good stats be Speed, Mini Turbo, and Weight, and had Inward drift bikes be the only good option , hence why Funky was played so much and why the only other viable characters outside of Funky were Rosy, Miis (Heavy and Medium), Bowser, and Daisy.

Last edited:

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
Nintendo always fails to understand that some people want to play mario kart competitively. They keep adding blue shells to every game :( :( in addition to frustrating items like the thunder cloud.

Gatlin

Nintendo always fails to understand that some people want to play mario kart competitively. They keep adding blue shells to every game :( :( in addition to frustrating items like the thunder cloud.
There is quite a large community of mario kart players who do play competitively. I used to be pretty into clanning and whatever, although not as much anymore since life's predicaments started taking up most of my time. The blue shell is just a part of the game to me; but I do agree that the TC is pretty lame. Especially getting it in like 2nd or 3rd giving the top position(s) a larger breakaway.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Blues have never bothered me, just TCs and lightning (assuming good players are using the lightning). And sometimes bullets. Outside of that, MKWiis item balance is pretty solid, and imo, the best of all online Mario Kart games.

MK7s item balance is utter trash though.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Blues have never bothered me, just TCs and lightning (assuming good players are using the lightning). And sometimes bullets. Outside of that, MKWiis item balance is pretty solid, and imo, the best of all online Mario Kart games.

MK7s item balance is utter trash though.
Ironically, Spiny Shells appeared less frequently in Mario Kart 7, and seeing what items each racer has now can give you an opportunity to plan your defense.

Unfortunately, Mario Kart 7 gamers still treated the Feather and Light characters like cockroaches, regardless of the fact that their acceleration attributes help enable them to build up momentum almost immediately while playing hot potato with the Spiny Shell.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
The tail is quite literally the most toxic and worst designed item in all of Mario Kart history.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
On an actual serious note for once, I really do like the individual stat boosts, it makes every character different and allows you to find a playstyle you like and choose character/combos for your playstyle and different situations, they just need to balance out the different stats and make those other stats worthwhile. The reason MKWii was like that was because, for one, Accel was a completely useless stat, so the Accel characters, like Toad, were completely trash in competitive play, OffRoad did diddly squat outside of stages like SGB, and with Bikes having wheelies and inward drift, this invalidated Karts and Drift as stats 99% of the times making the only good stats be Speed, Mini Turbo, and Weight, and had Inward drift bikes be the only good option , hence why Funky was played so much and why the only other viable characters outside of Funky were Rosy, Miis (Heavy and Medium), Bowser, and Daisy.
Those are some solid points. I guess I am just wary of Mario Kart Wii mechanics returning because I was one of those players who liked to think outside the box and use characters like Toad and whatnot on the Magikruiser and other bikes / karts that were used differently. The meta was just not kind to people like me, and if anything, it just punished us.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Also, the Handling stat is just COMPLETELY useless as well.

The one thing I do commend MK7 for though, is that they did do a pretty good job of balancing out stats in that game then proceeded to ruin it by making items stupidly OP and making the coin system awful. In MK7, there are like, twice the stats than any other Mario Kart (MK7 has 12 stats, MKW has 7) and most of those stats (basically all of them besides the Sea/Land Handling and Stability) are useful in some way or another, which is good. I just hope this time around they can do what MK7 did with stats and what MKW did with items. Oh and fix the coin system, its super unbalanced in MK7.

Last edited:

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
There is quite a large community of mario kart players who do play competitively. I used to be pretty into clanning and whatever, although not as much anymore since life's predicaments started taking up most of my time. The blue shell is just a part of the game to me; but I do agree that the TC is pretty lame. Especially getting it in like 2nd or 3rd giving the top position(s) a larger breakaway.
I also used to be part of that community. What was your tag?
I would tell you my tag but I never had a consistent one.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
He went by VomitB**** for a while

Last edited by a moderator:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The tail is quite literally the most toxic and worst designed item in all of Mario Kart history.
It is pretty bad, in terms of being used for spamming, but it's also quite detrimental for you in that it prevents you from getting a new item until the tail disappears. That can leave you wide open for a Red Shell if the tail disappears at the wrong time.

Gatlin

I didn't like any MK7 items tbh, the fireflower to me was completely stupid. It was basically the equivalent to having like 15 green shells that you could spam forward and backward, and hit the same person several times in succession and make them repeatedly spin out. Lucky 7 was also bleh and poorly executed. I guess you could strategically use it; but I don't think I ever saw anyone do anything other than spam the item button to activate the shroom and star. I also didn't like how the items from Lucky 7 just spun around the character and how other players in the room could potentially steal your star before you had the chance to activate it.

Speaking of items rotating around the character though, how do people feel about this? :

Are triple shrooms now going to rotate around the character with the potential for others to steal them?

Also, that is a picture of Grumble Volcano :cool::cool::cool::love: so excited to see like my 2nd favorite wii track return! Looks pretty awesome too based on other screenshots/videos.

I also used to be part of that community. What was your tag?
I would tell you my tag but I never had a consistent one.
Λνail / Meteor

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
I don't remember a player named Avail/Meteor :(
I quit the game in late 2010 so it's possible you actively played after I quit.

I think triple shrooms rotating around the vehicles is a bad idea. If you're using a lightweight character/vehicle and someone takes your shroom while it's rotating around you, you can be pushed into a bad spot, or even off of the course. I think this will be a high risk/high reward item. If you get it right before a short cut, that's great, but if you get it when there are other racers nearby, it can be a problem.

It's possible that people holding the triple shrooms around them will be targeted the most. If I had a red shell and there were multiple racers nearby, one having the triple shrooms, he would be my target. I would hit him with the red shell, and steal a shroom.

Gatlin

I don't remember a player named Avail/Meteor :(
I quit the game in late 2010 so it's possible you actively played after I quit.

I think triple shrooms rotating around the vehicles is a bad idea. If you're using a lightweight character/vehicle and someone takes your shroom while it's rotating around you, you can be pushed into a bad spot, or even off of the course. I think this will be a high risk/high reward item. If you get it right before a short cut, that's great, but if you get it when there are other racers nearby, it can be a problem.

It's possible that people holding the triple shrooms around them will be targeted the most. If I had a red shell and there were multiple racers nearby, one having the triple shrooms, he would be my target. I would hit him with the red shell, and steal a shroom.
It wasn't my name, those were clans I was in which is what I thought you meant by tag :p. I think I always have pretty much just gone as Gatlin on anything; but yeah, if you quit in 2010, then it was before I became a part of that community.

Also yeah. Speaking of pushing characters with the mushrooms, I dunno how lag from players from other regions is going to work out for this game. MKW had huge lag when playing against players from say, Germany or Japan. If they simply shroomed into you, you would be slammed into a wall or whatever much harder than if a NA player shroomed into you. Unless that NA player had an awful internet connection. The best part as well is that, on their screen, they probably wouldn't even realize that they hit you. A friend of mine said that if you ever want to hit a Japanese player with a green shell, always aim a little bit to the right of where their character is, lol.

Also yeah, that's another thing. I dunno if items are going to be concealed, or if the player will automatically hold out the item. In that picture I posted, you can see Ludwig holding a single mushroom out, so I would assume not. Not that it would really matter with item spy, though, I guess.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I do remember that in Double Dash!!, your Triple Mushrooms get reduced to just a single Mushroom if you wipe out. Maybe the Triple Mushrooms will also act like item shields this time.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
All this talk of broken items in Mario Kart 7 worries me... I didn't play that one because I don't have a 3DS and personally don't really care for handhelds. Sounds like it was a bit of a disaster D:. To think I thought the Spiny Shell was always bad enough, then I looked up that tail; absolutely brutal. I hope it doesn't come back.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Mega Mushroom was the most awesome item ever, it was basically a less broken star that you could receive at better placements without being OP and still very useful, it's really a shame that it probably isn't going to return.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
All of the Koopalings joining in is quite an amount of new characters already, but I can definitely see there being a few more.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Honestly I've always wanted the Koopalings to join the Mario spinoffs...I just expected them to be distributed between the various spinoffs; example; Larry Koopa for Mario Tennis(has been shown having a love of tennis in Superstar Saga), Lemmy Koopa for Mario Strikers(already has a strong association with ball control with his feet), etc.

I can't say I'm disappointed though. I'll take all seven Koopalings over more random minor enemies any day.

If I may ask, do any of you expect any other new characters in MK8 other than the Koopalings?
Honestly still expecting Nabbit. Maybe Dixie or Cranky this time too.

Top Bottom