• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Universe Mario Kart General Discussion - 200CC Announced | Second DLC Pack Coming in May!

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Technically speaking, Shy Guy isn't a new character, as he was playable in MKDS. It's just that he couldn't be selected outside of playing via Download play or hacking.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Freaking Metal Mario sounds like normal Mario being drowned.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Swap Metal Mario with Waluigi, classify Waluigi as a Cruiser class racer, and make Donkey Kong a Heavy class racer, and things would be a bit better.

Edit: My Mii's mugshot got a cameo on the 5/17/2012 edition of Nintendo Show 3D. You'll see the cameo on the 2:42 portion of video, which can be seen at the Nintendo eShop.

UberMario

Smash Master
Honey Queen should have never been a choice. Lubba or Coach would have been better picks. The other newcomers are fine, if a little generic.

No way this game is still 90% luck compared to mkwii.
This game is fun but it doesn't take skill.
I've felt that it's quite the opposite. The tracks are a lot more demanding in MK7 than in MKWii, and the item chaos was toned down. MKWii's item balance was so bad that I didn't even bother trying to unlock everything out of frustration. Playing it online made the item balance even worse for me.

Brickbox

Smash Master
3DS FC
0344-9566-1729
Im saying at a High competitive level.

and why is mkwiis item balance so bad?

UberMario

Smash Master
why is mkwiis item balance so bad?
I can't tell you how many times I've been hit by 4-or-more items in a row, without being able to move, after being hit by a spiny or losing my defensive banana/green shell to a POW Block. That, and it's almost impossible to retain any item for more than half-of-a-lap if you're near the lead, which can be very aggravating if you lose a mushroom.I've played all of the home versions of Mario Kart, including Mario Kart 7, and I never found the items to be my undoing more than in Mario Kart Wii. (In comparison, I have beyond a 30:1 win-lose ratio in MKDS.) I haven't had any issues dealing with those in MK7. The ability to see when a spiny is deployed in Mario Kart 7 definitely helps, but I can easily tell that the items are a lot less imposing than in it's predecessor.

I'm also not the only one that feels that Mario Kart Wii's balance is ridiculous.

Brickbox

Smash Master
3DS FC
0344-9566-1729
Item combos happen in mk7 too.
So item combos is what's imbalances mkwii?
Look at tales and fire flowers?
And with coins involved and power items not giving speed boost(hardly at all) 3 hits from a fire flower can be worse than 3 hits from say red shells.

UberMario

Smash Master
Look at tales and fire flowers?
And with coins involved and power items not giving speed boost(hardly at all) 3 hits from a fire flower can be worse than 3 hits from say red shells.
The tanooki tails and fire flowers are pretty tame if you can tell who has them, and I'm not sure how taking a spin that is weaker than one caused by a banana is worse than coming to a standstill. I'd definitely rather be around someone that has a tanooki tail than triple green shells.

So item combos is what's imbalances mkwii?
Primarily, though the huge differences in character, kart and bike stats definitely don't help.

Brickbox

Smash Master
3DS FC
0344-9566-1729
I unno I guess I just get trolled more by mk7 items.

Maybe I'll figure out how to work them better.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I unno I guess I just get trolled more by mk7 items.

Maybe I'll figure out how to work them better.
Looking at the touch screen can also help deal with items and plan ahead better, in my opinion. MKWii doesn't give you that kind of luxury. I guess this is also why I like MKDS for the same reason I like 7.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
Looking at the touch screen can also help deal with items and plan ahead better, in my opinion. MKWii doesn't give you that kind of luxury. I guess this is also why I like MKDS for the same reason I like 7.
I'm glad they have a touch screen so we can see the items of players, otherwise items would probably be as unbalanced then items in MKW. I hope one day a Mario kart is made where items aren't as effective as they are now so it can be played more competitively.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Diddy Kong Racing had very good item balance that didn't break the game, but still a decent amount of versatility.

Item chaos is the point of Mario games though. To be honest it'd just be better if they gave the option of turning them off.

Also is MKWii still popular now that MK7 is out?

:phone:

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
Yeah definitely, I personally like MKWii more than MK7; and there is still plenty of activity for the game.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Diddy Kong Racing had very good item balance that didn't break the game, but still a decent amount of versatility.

At least in that game, you know what items you'll get when hitting balloons; Ex.: You'll always get missiles by hitting red balloons. In Mario Kart, all items that you'll get are random, unless you modify the items that are used.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
I have never played Diddy Kong racing but I have always wanted too.

Sounds more balanced than Mario Kart which is great lol.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
It's definitely better than MK64. Had better graphics, more balance, and had a legit 1 player mode that you could also play co-op.

I've been thinking of getting the DS version but I'm not sure it's worth it when I already have the original.

Are there tier lists for DKR or the MK series?

Inb4peoplesayingMK64isbetterthanDKR.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Thing is about handling in DKR is that good handling is actually bad in the hovercraft, which is why lightweights suck in it and Banjo is good in it.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Thing is about handling in DKR is that good handling is actually bad in the hovercraft, which is why lightweights suck in it and Banjo is good in it.

You're comparing a car to a hovercraft though, with the latter obviously lacking any wheels to steer properly.

Segtendo

Smash Hero
NNID
Segtend0
3DS FC
2552-4940-9357
DKR is an all-time favorite of mine @.@
I hate the DS remake though.

BSP

Smash Legend
I never got to play DKR with 4 people, so 64 is winning in that regard right now.

Most of DKR's tracks are pretty short too compared to 64.

DKR doesn't have the stupid rubber band AI like MK64.

I'd probably go with 64 because the shorter tracks in DKR kinda annoy me.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
DKR is an all-time favorite of mine @.@
I hate the DS remake though.
^ This. ♥

The item system was very balanced in that game, since you knew what you were getting, and there isn't a single item that was too powerful to make the game unfair. On top of that, it wasn't like MK7 where it's hard as hell to catch up in a race, since there are some shortcuts in certain tracks, and the speed balance also makes it easy for any character to catch up with another even on tracks without shortcuts, if they know how to drive well enough. Items can also be upgraded; a missile can become a homing missile, and a homing missile can become 10 regular missiles. So even though the items get better as they upgrade, it's still not to the point of being broken.

The music is also something that gives the game a lot of charm, and considering it was composed by David Wise, it definitely shows. My personal favorite being Star City/Spacedust Alley. Each track's memorable, and players shouldn't be surprised it they found themselves humming to the music.

I do agree with
BSP in that most of the tracks are rather short, with the only long ones being Spacedust Alley, Darkmoon Caverns, and Windmill Plains. Despite that, each track is well designed, which helps to make up for it. That, and there are four more tracks than MK64, so it does add up and helps to balance the issue somewhat.

Overall, Diddy Kong Racing on the N64 is just a well polished game with no real flaws. The graphics are top-notch, the music's fantastic, the characters are great, the tracks are great, and the gameplay is just so well balanced, and that's the main thing; it's balanced. Makes me want to relive my childhood again, playing DKR.

So 64 is better without nostalgia bias?
Oh, most definitely. The only thing the DS has over the 64 version are track creation, and more characters. Otherwise, the controls aren't as good on the D-pad, and they also - in my opinion - ruined the start-up boost at the beginning of races. Some of the altered music also hurts it, and Taj of all characters has a sub-par voice compared to the cool Hindu accent in the 64 version. The removal of Conker and Banjo, though not surprising, also hurts it. I actually mained both Conker and Banjo, and that was before the release of Banjo-Kazooie and Conker's Bad Fur Day, so yeah.

For what it is, it's still not a bad game. But given the choice between the two versions, I very much prefer the N64 by 100 miles.

Thino

Smash Master
more balance
^ This. ♥

The item system was very balanced in that game, since you knew what you were getting, and there isn't a single item that was too powerful to make the game unfair. On top of that, it wasn't like MK7 where it's hard as hell to catch up in a race, since there are some shortcuts in certain tracks, and the speed balance also makes it easy for any character to catch up with another even on tracks without shortcuts, if they know how to drive well enough. Items can also be upgraded; a missile can become a homing missile, and a homing missile can become 10 regular missiles. So even though the items get better as they upgrade, it's still not to the point of being broken.
I haven't played MK7 or DKRDS yet but.. you guys have never played against a good T.T. player that hogs all the blue balloons on DKR64 right?

if you're right behind a guy like this you're guaranteed to miss all the blue balloons yourself until you're at spawning distance with the balloons and trust me it takes much more than one homing missile aka 2 red balloons to finally catch up to someone like that considering that you will aim for red balloons and he increases the distance with more blue balloons

I can assure you, you will NOT catch up to a good Drumstick or T.T. that does this unless you use this characters as well and the player ahead does huge mistakes and doesn't take shortcut

TL;DR, no, the blue balloon is not balanced because on most track it comes as single or set of 2 which really really doesnt allow players that do not get it to catch up

the only thing that comes close in hard counter is the homing missile

don't get me wrong the game was really fun with friends, but on a competitive level, not balanced

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Yeah, but isn't T.T. usually banned? I was speaking with the assumption that T.T. isn't used, otherwise, T.T. wins obviously. The only thing faster than T.T. (plane) is Drumstick on a Plane. Otherwise, even with the blue balloons, it's still not as unbalanced as you make it out to be.

Thino

Smash Master
Yeah, but isn't T.T. usually banned? I was speaking with the assumption that T.T. isn't used, otherwise, T.T. wins obviously. The only thing faster than T.T. (plane) is Drumstick on a Plane. Otherwise, even with the blue balloons, it's still not as unbalanced as you make it out to be.
Banned? but from what? if there is a competition or a tournament maybe, I don't know about that.

I guess I should just try to record so you guys can see what I'm talking about, nostalgia goggles aside, the game has aged really well, the graphics are still top-notch for N64 era and the Adventure mode is still a blast to play and I still laugh at the way I can beat the Octopus boss in one try now when back when I was a kid this guy gave me nightmares

but the blue balloon thing is the real deal when playing against someone that is good too, on some tracks more than other, that's for sure.

BSP

Smash Legend
I haven't played DKR64 with others, so I don't know this which is why I'm asking.

Is Krunch viable?

Is there a tier list anywhere?

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Is Krunch viable?

Is there a tier list anywhere?
Krunch has too high a learning curve, and even then, Banjo is faster than Krunch (if you can believe that) and not as hard to use. Basically, Krunch has more risks than rewards, but if you want to use him through looks alone, then don't let his flaws stop you. If there is a tier list, I imagine T.T. being number 1 (assuming he isn't banned), with Drumstick being number 2 and Banjo being 3. Not entirely sure though.

BSP

Smash Legend
So the heavy people are the best? Interesting. I would have tried to get past their atrocious handling, but I found this dude named T.T.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
If it means anything, there's a tool-assisted run of DKR where the guy uses Banjo purely for speed. He didn't use Drumstick or T.T. seeing as he started a new game and thus didn't unlock them, so perhaps that's a good indicator of Banjo's speed?

Thino

Smash Master
Banjo is the fastest after T.T. and Drumstick that's for sure, whether Krunch beats him or not prolly depends on the track curve, for example Star City, I'm pretty sure Krunch would be really bad against Banjo on Star City

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Banjo is the fastest after T.T. and Drumstick that's for sure, whether Krunch beats him or not prolly depends on the track curve, for example Star City, I'm pretty sure Krunch would be really bad against Banjo on Star City
^ Pretty much this. That said, here's the video to said speedrun. At over two hours, make sure you have some popcorn or something:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWVetp00qmo&list=PL07C8A7BFC6DB6CEF&index=37&feature=plpp_video

Also, a little something for good measure. A non-tool-assisted run of MKWii using Daisy on the Mach Bike on all tracks. This one's a little over an hour long:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VUXcr_LTj8&list=PL07C8A7BFC6DB6CEF&index=6&feature=plpp_video

Thino

Smash Master
^ Pretty much this. That said, here's the video to said speedrun. At over two hours, make sure you have some popcorn or something:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWVetp00qmo&list=PL07C8A7BFC6DB6CEF&index=37&feature=plpp_video
This TAS justifies even better my use of Banjo in this Jungle Falls challenge

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1rvByEVJRA

I can use some of the tricks this TAS does to improve my time, thank you

edit: wow this TAS even uses the dinosaur's footprints to get airborne time to boost his A-tech, smart.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
This TAS justifies even better my use of Banjo in this Jungle Falls challenge

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1rvByEVJRA

I can use some of the tricks this TAS does to improve my time, thank you

edit: wow this TAS even uses the dinosaur's footprints to get airborne time to boost his A-tech, smart.
That's... really scary how you can play like that and without tool-assisting. O_____O

But yeah, I know what you mean. Sure, you have those few who hate TAS runs of games because they think it's cheating and all that nonsense, but my argument to that is it is there for entertainment purposes. Also, watching Super Metroid TAS runs has definitely helped me improve my time in rushing the game, among other TAS runs.

Top Bottom