• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Universe Mario Kart General Discussion - 200CC Announced | Second DLC Pack Coming in May!

BSP

Smash Legend
Oh, knowledge too definitely, but when I say skill, I usually mean knowledge along with it. Both are pretty important and generally > items.

I guess knowing how to work the item system like Thino said is important as well. MKW is random at times, but there's certainly some skills in the madness

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
Oh, knowledge too definitely, but when I say skill, I usually mean knowledge along with it. Both are pretty important and generally > items.

I guess knowing how to work the item system like Thino said is important as well. MKW is random at times, but there's certainly some skills in the madness
I admit that mario kart definitely takes skill but I still feel like items are too random for the game to be played competitively.

Thino

Smash Master
I admit that mario kart definitely takes skill but I still feel like items are too random for the game to be played competitively.
depends, competitively probably yes, because at least for Mario Kart Wii the items are not as random as you seem to make them out to be.

With money on the line like Smash tournaments, prolly not.

I'd hate to lose $500 due to a blue shell.

Brickbox

Smash Master
3DS FC
0344-9566-1729
Oh gosh play mario kart for money would be the most terrible idea ever.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
depends, competitively probably yes, because at least for Mario Kart Wii the items are not as random as you seem to make them out to be.

With money on the line like Smash tournaments, prolly not.

I'd hate to lose $500 due to a blue shell.
I just always hated the items especially cause the acceleration sucked so it got annoying lol.

kinghippo99

Smash Lord
Which is an even worse idea, lol. I'd rather lose all my money having fun at a tournament.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I'll agree with you here

-$1000 to blue shell
This is pretty much why Mario Kart is not a game to do any gambling on. You could be one of the best racers, and yet items can make you finish dead last.

At least with Smash Bros., items can be turned off, but the stages have to be hazard-free.

Brickbox

Smash Master
3DS FC
0344-9566-1729
I dont want them to get rid of the blues, I just wish they didn't make you lose as much time.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Making Spiny Shells very rare would also help. Of course, there has to be a game changing item, since the 1st place racer tends to have a huge advantage with all the defensive items that he/she can get hold of.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
but isnt it less damaging or something in MK7 already? like not making you fly in the air anymore?
It works both ways. Sure you don't lose your item to the Spiny Shell now, but at the same time, it can cause you to flip into an abyss, and even off-road, which would be bad if your combo's off-road isn't strong enough.

Brickbox

Smash Master
3DS FC
0344-9566-1729
Lol its so fun to use egg one wood, play in the banana only community and only pick water stages xD
I completely dominated the guy who has the silver medal in the community xD

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I seem to find it more fun when I'm using the Egg 1 + Roller combo, probably because that's the closest that you'll get to imitating the original Egg 1 kart from Mario Kart DS.

Ironically, I never used the Egg 1 when I played Mario Kart DS, primarily due to its low items stat.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
So, whats the very best customizable vehicle u can have in MK7?

what are the parts you need

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
In terms of speed, I'd probably say Heavyweight + B Dasher + R.Monster/Slick would be the best. It really depends on what you're looking for though, cuz with that combo you're acceleration is going to be garbage, which isn't what you really want.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
In terms of speed, I'd probably say Heavyweight + B Dasher + R.Monster/Slick would be the best. It really depends on what you're looking for though, cuz with that combo you're acceleration is going to be garbage, which isn't what you really want.
I'll try this out, I usually go for something with high speed and bad acceleration anyway.

Brickbox

Smash Master
3DS FC
0344-9566-1729
That's a high risk, high reward combo.
People that use that only do good if the break away from the pack.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Each combo has its pros and cons. And while it is possible to get a combo with good speed and good acceleration, handling will often take a fall.

For one example...

Feather + Soda Jet + Monster + Paraglider

That combo would offer good speed and manageable acceleration, and its high off-road would offset its low handling. In terms of hidden stats, that combo's main downfall is when it's underwater.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
I think I'm the only person in the world (ok maybe not that extreme) who cannot play this game for longer than 10 minutes because my hands hurt.

Also; Spiny Shell sucks...seriously I don't know if I'm really unlucky or what, but I swear I get hit by people who get Spiny Shells in FOURTH place. Just seems sorta ridiculous.

Gatlin

Haha, definitely not. You may just have to experiment a bit to find a comfortable position though. When I first got the game I would have to take breaks in between races every now and then cuz it was just incredibly uncomfortable and after a while began to be painful. Now, I hold it really awkwardly but it allows me to play it easier and longer, so idc. lol

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
I've tried everything I can think of, and this is coming from the person who plays Kirby Tilt 'n' Tumble with the GCN game boy attachment and using a controller with my foot while I rotate the GCN.
I'm really not joking about that, I can't find my GBC lol

I'm just not comfortable with the 3DS I guess...maybe my hands are too small? :(

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I think I'm the only person in the world (ok maybe not that extreme) who cannot play this game for longer than 10 minutes because my hands hurt.

Also; Spiny Shell sucks...seriously I don't know if I'm really unlucky or what, but I swear I get hit by people who get Spiny Shells in FOURTH place. Just seems sorta ridiculous.
You think that's ridiculous, I've been Spiny Shell bait in several races. And the thing to keep in mind is that if your combo's acceleration is bad, you won't be able to recover quickly enough if you've managed to bait the Spiny Shell into attacking someone else.

Simply put, if you're trying to change the Spiny Shell's target, you better have the acceleration to back it up, or else you'll likely be in hotter water.

Brickbox

Smash Master
3DS FC
0344-9566-1729
my hands are pretty small and I dont find it that unconfortable.
Yink I want you as a 3ds friend ^.^ you should Vm your code :)

@thino
you talking about making sure you get a good item at the end?

Gatlin

How effective is sandbagging in MK7?
Compared to MKW, pretty horrible, imo.

The only stage I would ever consider sandbagging on is Kalimari Desert, cuz a golden can definitely take you up to 1st should the pack be moderately close together. Similar to Raceway on MKW.

Edit: Would also recommend it on Maka Wuhu in the beginning to cut through the grass on the first big turn.

Brickbox

Smash Master
3DS FC
0344-9566-1729
I sand bag everytime on rock rock, golden is so broken there.
and gatlin you need to learn how to do the GBA bowser castle glidercut shroomless. I beat you there in the tourney because you didnt do it :O

Gatlin

Yeah. Tbh I wasn't even thinking of it until I saw your DK fly over me and I was like "oh"

Thino

Smash Master
Compared to MKW, pretty horrible, imo.

The only stage I would ever consider sandbagging on is Kalimari Desert, cuz a golden can definitely take you up to 1st should the pack be moderately close together. Similar to Raceway on MKW.
What about item rules like in MKW where Lightning can appear only 30 seconds after the start of the race, and can be obtained again by a player only 25 seconds after being used, or only one POW, 2 Blue Shells, one TC one blooper etc.. at a given time. or which positions get roughly which items etc..

nobody figured them out yet huh?

Airgemini

Chansey
Safari Zone. Shiny, and holding a Lucky Egg.
3DS FC
2406-5625-4787
Yink - Try holding it so you use items with X . It makes it so much more comfortable. When I first started playing, my hands felt extremely uncomfortable. I had like cramps. Using the L button for items feels awkward to me.

Sandbagging is useless in MK7 besides Kalamari Desert.

Gatlin

@Thino:
I would honestly assume items follow the same time/limits that they had in MKW. I don't believe I've seen a shock or blue shell appear before the 30 second mark; but it is possible to acquire two shocks at one time. So I'm questionable about whether there is a time limit in between its use. As for blue shells, I've never seen two people have one each at the same time; but I have no idea on it's uses-per-certain-amount-of-time. I personally haven't seen someone get double blued within like 10 seconds, though.

I'm assuming shocks don't appear until there are at least 6 people in the race, seeing as there were 5 for the second half of the recent tourney and there wasn't a single shock.

I'm sure people have figured most if not all of it out, I just don't know of them yet.

Brickbox

Smash Master
3DS FC
0344-9566-1729
Ive been looking for a big item info dump, if anyone finds it PLZ PLZ PLZ share it.
And Ive seen blue shells as early as before the maku wuhu glitch. That's the only time I see them early.

Item rules are different though, no back to back blues in this game and nothing close to it.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Speaking of Maka Wuhu, while I was in the Real(life) Karts community, I tried to see if my game contains the Maka Wuhu glitch too. Needless to say, it didn't work, and I ended up taking the normal route afterwards.

I know that I said that I don't like to glitch, but I had to see for myself why a lot of people are using it. And the result is, I can't pull off the glitch at all, so I'm completely screwed on that track; just another reason for me to greatly despise Maka Wuhu now.

Just keep in mind that this was in a "Mushrooms only" community, and NOT in a Worldwide room.

Top Bottom