• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Universe Mario Kart General Discussion - 200CC Announced | Second DLC Pack Coming in May!

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I never see any good players using Wii Wheel.
That can be hard to do when you have a lot of GameCube controller users. But when I used to do Wi-Fi races on Mario Kart Wii, I used the Wii Wheel more times than the GameCube controller; I even have the Gold Wheel.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Thanks for clearing that up. I think I might've done that strategy before, but I never called it anything.

But you must keep in mind that that video is for GameCube controller users. I use the Wii Wheel as my primary control scheme.

Brickbox

Smash Master
3DS FC
0344-9566-1729
It's super useful on n64 bc, it makes the mushroom gorge gap jump way easyer, it makes those little bumps before the bulldozers on toads factory less awkward.
It's just very situational and its not really that useful

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
That can be hard to do when you have a lot of GameCube controller users. But when I used to do Wi-Fi races on Mario Kart Wii, I used the Wii Wheel more times than the GameCube controller; I even have the Gold Wheel.
This is probably a dumb question, but it is the only thing about MKW that I have never known.

Can you do a wheelie with the GC controller? The other controllers use motion control for wheelie so I was wondering.

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
You simply press up on the D-Pad to perform a wheelie, you can also perform tricks this way.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
I only have one star rank in MK Wii >:
I have a 3 star rank but it is very hard to get due to items.

on mirror, items were such a problem that you basically have to keep trying to 3 star the grand prix until you get lucky and win. cause items can mess you up so bad.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I stopped at 2 stars on my Mario Kart Wii profile. Of course, I have been able to 3-star rank all the 50cc and 100cc cups.

Thino

Smash Master
When it comes to star ranks in MKW, the only items that ruin it during a GP seems to be items that cause you to fall off, hit the wall, go offroad or lose first place

It's still possible to get 3 stars while slipping on bananas or being slaughtered by blue shells

also dont go in the water on Shy Guy Beach or Peach Beach

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
I got 3 stars on 50 + 100 all in MK7. I got 3 done in 150. Next up: the rest :glare: Those wheels better be worth it.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I got 3 stars on 50 + 100 all in MK7. I got 3 done in 150. Next up: the rest :glare: Those wheels better be worth it.
Personally, I would avoid using the Gold Tires, since they were a jinx when I tried them out. Bad handling AND bad off-road are never really a good mix, but Z'zgashi has been able to use the Slick tires quite well.

On my end, if I'm looking for speed, I look up the Monster and Red Monster, since their high off-road counters their weak handling, and they are the second fastest wheels in the game.

On an additional note, off-road also seems to affect traction, since I've noticed that in Neo Bowser City, the Monster tires seem to have better traction than the Roller tires on the wet roads, but at least the Roller tires offer high handling to counter their off-road weakness; of course, the Roller's off-road is better than that of the Slick's.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
Well you are more aware of incoming items, thanks to the touch screen. Also, off-roading doesn't offer any penalties to your rank.
I also think that items Are just slightly not as worse.

For example, the blue shell wont launch you all the way up into the air when you get hit.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I also think that items Are just slightly not as worse.

For example, the blue shell wont launch you all the way up into the air when you get hit.
True, but Spiny Shells can still cause you to fall into an abyss if you're at the wrong place at the wrong time. Also, bananas are much stronger than they were in Mario Kart Wii.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
True, but Spiny Shells can still cause you to fall into an abyss if you're at the wrong place at the wrong time. Also, bananas are much stronger than they were in Mario Kart Wii.
I also think the vehicles have slightly better acceleration for the most part.

Ninja in Overalls

Smash Apprentice
irrelevant question, but does anyone know the status of online play via dolphin emulator? I would like to play double dash online but the only way I know of is with a gamecube and I only have a Wii:(

Thino

Smash Master
irrelevant question, but does anyone know the status of online play via dolphin emulator? I would like to play double dash online but the only way I know of is with a gamecube and I only have a Wii:(
Still unstable last I read about it, desync problems, gamecube has a lot more RAM and its hard to decypher which parts are useful to send between peers

that info is for Melee though, idk about Double Dash

BSP

Smash Legend
Just imagine 16 person Mario kart double dash O_o

I don't think we could handle it

BSP

Smash Legend
The "Agreed" switching (both had to press z at same time) annoyed me, but otherwise I was fine

And I was in love with slide attacks lol. Stealing stuff was just too good.

Ninja in Overalls

Smash Apprentice
I actually like one player controlling both better anyway, just seemed like more fun to me, needed more skillz that way anyway, although it is entirely possible my obsessive time trialing corrupted me...

Host Change

Smash Ace
NNID
HostChange
3DS FC
0147-1153-9132
Does it bother anybody that the Mario Kart games are not competitive due to the fact that there are too many random factors in the game? I used to not think of the game as such, but the fact that I've been going to tournaments for Brawl and playing other games competitively online makes it frustrating to play.

Yesterday, a friend wanted to race me and he plays a lot. So we do a 1v1 race and I wouldn't miss turns or mess up boosts, but if I did even once the only way I could still compete in the game was random factors that I had no control of. It's almost as if the game rolls the dice and decides who should win the game at higher levels...

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
One time in Mario Kart 7, I tried to be more patient with using the Spiny Shell. However, as soon as I reached the next set of item boxes, I had to use it so that I could reload. Basically, trying to plan when to use the stronger items can be tricky to do at times. At least the touch screen tells you what items to watch out for, unlike in Mario Kart Wii, where you pretty much have to use your strong items immediately; you have no warning that a Lightning item will be used in that game.

Segtendo

Smash Hero
NNID
Segtend0
3DS FC
2552-4940-9357
Heh.
Whenever I played Double Dash with my bro, and we played co-op GP, I'd always drive while he throws items. It works.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
Does it bother anybody that the Mario Kart games are not competitive due to the fact that there are too many random factors in the game? I used to not think of the game as such, but the fact that I've been going to tournaments for Brawl and playing other games competitively online makes it frustrating to play.

Yesterday, a friend wanted to race me and he plays a lot. So we do a 1v1 race and I wouldn't miss turns or mess up boosts, but if I did even once the only way I could still compete in the game was random factors that I had no control of. It's almost as if the game rolls the dice and decides who should win the game at higher levels...
Thats exactly why I hate MKW lol.

The Mario kart series pisses me off a lot for that fact.

Thino

Smash Master

I would compare high level Mario Kart play more to Rock Paper Scissors or Tic Tac Toe than dice roll, unless you focus only on driving skills

Item skill and knowledge, as in not only how to use them but also WHEN to get them and WHEN to use them, plays a pretty big part.

Their effect compared to pure driving skill depend on the Mario Kart you're playing.

UberMario

Smash Master
Does it bother anybody that the Mario Kart games are not competitive due to the fact that there are too many random factors in the game?
I have to disagree.

Mario Kart Double Dash and Mario Kart Wii can have items disabled offline, while Mario Kart 7 can do the same online. Mario Kart DS really depends on your playstyle. Top level, 4-way snaking in MKDS wifi is probably the most intense kind of racing you will see in the Mario Kart series, while playing normally is nearly as random as MKWii. Similarly, Mario Kart 64's item roulette is well balanced, though it will have a significant effect on gameplay.

Super Mario Kart's items rarely come into play against two, highly-skilled players (unless someone gets a red shell when another player misses the item slides entirely), while Mario Kart Super Circuit takes it one step further and makes it possible to outrun red shells and blue shells just by driving well. It's possible to go a whole race without being hit by anything if you can powerslide. (It's been a while since I've played MKSC multiplayer, I know that you can outrun shells in single-player, but I'm pretty sure you can in multiplayer, too.)

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The funny thing about Mario Kart 64 is that you can get Stars and Golden Mushrooms in 2nd place, which never happens with the later installments (unless player amounts are small).

Thino

Smash Master
It's still kinda weird, despite being a player that likes competitiveness, I would never turn items off in Mario Kart

They just feel like part of the game too much unlike Smash Bros items that I can turn off easily

BSP

Smash Legend
MKW's randomness shines when the players are close in skill imo

Mario kart without items? Go get a PS3 and play some realistic driver :p

Or, just go to time trials and compare times

Brickbox

Smash Master
3DS FC
0344-9566-1729
truth^
skill does shine and knowledge shines through in mkwii.
not so sure about mk7 yet.
its to new of a game.

Top Bottom