• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Boards: General Discussion

Fire!

Smash Champion
NNID
Fire149
3DS FC
2809-9924-8928
You know though, Mario boards are already kind of known for their combo videos. We need to become known for making this **** happen in a grand finals match!

(Seriously though, I have heard, on several occasions, from people who do not play Mario that you haven't seen a true combo video until you've seen a Mario combo video.)
*Under Fire! 2 Coming Soon!

More like
-50% Cape/FLUDD Video
-50% Combo Video

but yea.

KhaosTy

Smash Rookie
dito ang kaibigan ko. pangalan siya si "Tim"

ginamit siya nang Ike, pero hindi galing.

Sorry my Tagalog is bad.
At sinusulat ako ng Tagalog kasi hindi intindihan siya. Ha Ha!

JUDGE

Smash Lord
Of course, Mario can also beat a few characters above him, and should definitely be higher than he is now.
yeah he should.......but when i think of it now.............hmmmm...
maybe it's better when he stay a low tier.......cuz then we mario mainers stay unpredictable ^^ i thik there are lots of players who don't study mario well when they are going to a tourney cuz they think he is week because of the tier list^^
so we mario mainers have a LITTLE advantage right^^ xD:chuckle::laugh:
*Under Fire! 2 Coming Soon!

More like
-50% Cape/FLUDD Video
-50% Combo Video

but yea.
oh wow^^
that's cool bro^^ can't wait^^:chuckle:

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
yeah he should.......but when i think of it now.............hmmmm...
maybe it's better when he stay a low tier.......cuz then we mario mainers stay unpredictable ^^ i thik there are lots of players who don't study mario well when they are going to a tourney cuz they think he is week because of the tier list^^
so we mario mainers have a LITTLE advantage right^^ xD:chuckle::laugh:

oh wow^^
that's cool bro^^ can't wait^^:chuckle:
What's the best Meta Knight player in Michigan doing in the Mario for - oh wait...

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
k wtf wheres the Q/A thread lol. I'll ask here anyways,

so I decided to jump to training mode (lolimissWiFi) to practice against Pit's arrows and powershield them (goal is like 10 consecutive powershielded arrows) And I can't really tell, so does anyone know like how much you need to powershield (in general) attacks? Does it like have to be a mili second before it comes towards you and you shield? O.o kthx

KirinBlaze

Smash Lord
NNID
KirinBlaze
k wtf wheres the Q/A thread lol. I'll ask here anyways,

so I decided to jump to training mode (lolimissWiFi) to practice against Pit's arrows and powershield them (goal is like 10 consecutive powershielded arrows) And I can't really tell, so does anyone know like how much you need to powershield (in general) attacks? Does it like have to be a mili second before it comes towards you and you shield? O.o kthx
Power Shielding is so ****ing stupid in this game. I don't even know the timing. If you just hold shield you power shield **** half the time anyway.

Kanzaki

Smash Champion
Same with teching =/

In Melee, I'd powershield most projectiles, and tech most moves, like Falco's dair... but in Brawl, it's just stupid =/

ThatGuy

Smash Master
In Melee, you only have 1 frame to powershield, so you better be spot on.

In Brawl, you have 5 frames to powershield, which translates to 1/12 of a second. Much more generous. Powershielding is a bit too easy to do in this game; I don't care if it nullifies projectiles or what not, but it's very frustrating trying to pressure an opponent who powershields a lot when using Mario.

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
Currently, I'm testing Cape Teleport Frame Data, Possible Followups, and all sorts of different things that could have an impact, including positioning on the stage, and how the opponent recovers.

I should be done in a few days or mabye a week, depending on if I have a person to help me test or not.

exdia_16

Smash Journeyman
Smashboards Name: Exdia_16
Birthday: August/30th/1989
Height and weight: 6'0" (290lbs)
Current location: Maryland, Silver Spring
Systems you own: N64, Gamecube, Wii, Gameboy, GBA, DS, PS1, PS2, PSP, and a computer.
Last couple of games you played aside from Brawl: Devil May Cry 3,Marvel Vs Capcom 2,Garou Mark Of The Wolfs,Street Fighter 3 III Strike,Second Impact.
Smash Rival: Boss,Kreva,Xenos,Lykos,K9,Slikvik,BMX,AND!,Wispy
Next big thing you are looking forward to: Getting my name known and finding the Perfect match.
What are you doing right now: Taking the Metaknight Challenge WHOO!

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Don't complain about the simplicity of teching and powershielding in Brawl (okay, maybe powershielding). Making something that's a simple button input harder only hinders a games competivity - L-canceling is a good idea, but having it as a button is stupid - it just makes it harder than it needs to be. It should be automatic, as many B+ players will tell you.

Not saying teching and powershielding should be automatic (definitely not), but keeping them hard is just silly. Adversely, it's far too easy to powershield in Brawl. It should be harder, but not kept at the single frame that Melee had.

In other words, keeping things hard when they could be easier (yet still be advanced) is just silly.

/gamedesign101

bobson

Smash Lord
Same with teching =/

In Melee, I'd powershield most projectiles, and tech most moves, like Falco's dair... but in Brawl, it's just stupid =/
Teching has a smaller frame window in Brawl than Melee, guy.

Fire!

Smash Champion
NNID
Fire149
3DS FC
2809-9924-8928
Recording Mario's OOS Options video

-UpSmash: Best used when opponent is behind you.
-SH Nair: Best used to create space.
-Jump Punch: Best used...?

Did I miss anything?

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Bair also works as a replacement for upsmash since it works the same too.

OOS jab works slightly the same as Nair, but mostly used for pokes/followsup.. you know the deal.. it has some good range too..

k. Another rant. I'm tired of losing to randoms and paying $10 to lose in winners and losers 1st round. Makes me sad and shameful >.> Moar tips guise?

Veggi

Smash Champion
Currently, I'm testing Cape Teleport Frame Data, Possible Followups, and all sorts of different things that could have an impact, including positioning on the stage, and how the opponent recovers.

I should be done in a few days or mabye a week, depending on if I have a person to help me test or not.
Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I want to learn the specifics on how to do this because I've only done it once on a Captain Falcon.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
lol were you the mario veggi that cape teleported my cf? XDD my cf still ***** xD

and skyler lol, you just ruined FL's chances of ****** in his first tourney when u locked his thread so mean </3

at least i hope he reads my post cus we posted at same time lol O_O

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
I edited my post telling him to read what you posted (I assume he will anyway). If he ***** at his first tourney that'll be awesome.

Veggi

Smash Champion
lol were you the mario veggi that cape teleported my cf? XDD my cf still ***** xD

and skyler lol, you just ruined FL's chances of ****** in his first tourney when u locked his thread so mean </3

at least i hope he reads my post cus we posted at same time lol O_O
No, it was a different CF. Although it makes me wonder who Cape Teleported you.

Fire!

Smash Champion
NNID
Fire149
3DS FC
2809-9924-8928
-UpSmash, Bair: Best used when opponent is behind you.
-SH Nair: Best used to create space.
-SH Dair, Jab, Shield Grab: Best used to combo

Not sure where SJP falls in except that its the most reliable, correct?

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
k l need more input from you guys cus I'm in my "wondering state" meaning l'm actually thinking for once lol.

K what's your personal CP against D3?
what's your input on against D3, castle siege v Deflino Plaza,

and what's your ban against D3.

k thnx guise.

k (lol), also does anyone know how to platform drop in your shield to a aerial basically = holding up shield input platform drop bair. And no, no shield drops pls, theres difference in terms of frames alright thanks. Straked already gave me his info because hes a sexy person irl kthx

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
Um, ban Yoshis or Smashville. It's easy for DDD to land a grab there. Or Battlefield. I'd go with Smashville or Battlefield. DDD is real good at Battlefield, but Mario gets platforms to avoid grabs. You'd think FD isn't as good because it's the only neutral without platforms, but you can camp with fireballs and play hit-and-run against DDD there, which is ideal.

In CS, you need to be really careful not to go on the floor in the middle transformation. Be gay at the edges on the last and first ones. Use platforms on the first one, but watch out for Utilt. I assume everyone knows how to Dair/Uair combo DDD? You can get his % up real fast from 0 if you start with a few Utilts.

At Delfino, you're lucky because it's tough for DDD to land a grab in some of those places. But for others, there are walkoff edges, so you're screwed if he gets a grab >.< Again, edges and platforms.

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
, but you can camp with fireballs and play hit-and-run against DDD there, which is ideal
But if you get grabbed you're pretty much screwed. BF is a better choice imo. Fireball camp him under or over the platforms, near the edge, that is a very good zone for Mario on that stage making it harder for DDD to approach. Even if he grabs you he has nowhere to chaingrab you.

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
True, which is why I think that your ban should be whichever stage you're least comfortable at. They've all got their advantages and disadvantages.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
But banning neutrals is dumb though lol. Isn't it? >_>
Only if they don't have a very clear advantage on any CP.

Like how you'd ban Japes against Jiggly and Falco, but in Mario dittoes, you ban any neutral you don't like.

Kanzaki

Smash Champion
Battlefield is my personal favourate stage :D

Yoshi's Island a close second, cause landing a wall jump -> fair is just sex.

Usually in tourney sets, I like to see who I'm facing first, and then I check out their friendlies/other tourney matches... If it looks like they one of those "FD ONLY LAWLZ", I ban FD :] Otherwise I ban according to their character.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Sometimes neutrals can be as bad as counterpicks.

For example, battlefield is marth's best stage period, even though it's a neutral, if I'm against a Marth, i'll ban it.

Melee marth was even worse, Yoshi's story basically guarenteed him a win.

Also, starters tend to have a lot more effect in a match, if an opponent is good on a starter, banning it means it can't appear on the first match AND they can't counterpick it.

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
How is banning neutrals dumb? I hate Yoshi's if I don't ban it and it gets picked during the first match I'm pretty much screwed

Bo X7 said:
There's a thing called stage striking. >.> Always stage strike Smashville and FD against DDD.
Stage striking is dumb...Heres what happens with me. I would strike Yoshi's and then one other stage the other guy doesn't strike and then...if I win they can still CP to yoshi's which is pretty much the only stage I hate....****ing diglet

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Depends on the opponent/character to me.

Whatever gives me any kind of advantage, whether personal preference or tactical decisions.

Top Bottom