• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Boards: General Discussion

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
It's not that Flame or Kirin really have any particular style...it's just that they do things right and what they do is really smart, never really random or gimmicky.

If you want to learn good tactics fast, that's why I suggested copying from them.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
Yeah, I'm more in vato/Kanzaki's camp. I can't really watch videos and pick up things in particular for my Mario. I may watch some things from a Mario who does well in a matchup that I don't, but even then, it doesn't set in until I start putting it into practice for my own style. There's a ton of trial and error that goes into my game.

At least you'll really know the MK matchup now, Hippie. <3

SKidd

Smash Master
When I picked up Mario, I watched DTM and later Get Caped, and i was like OMG DAT MUST BE ME so I tried all of the crazy spikes(cape is still win <3)and i got ****ed up even worse, then I started playin my own style, really careful, spacing with the fireballs, finding mistakes in my opponent's game, and I did waaaay better.

Don't copy Boss or Kirin or Flame or Vato or Box, find your own style and adapt.

Calebyte

Smash Lord
I think when you're first starting out, it's more important to learn the fundamentals of the game itself. There are a lot of aspects of the game that transcend character-specific stuff--things like spacing, decision-making, reading, baiting, and punishing. Once you have a solid grasp of those things, I would suggest in-depth exploration of Mario's specific metagame.

I also learn a lot by watching videos. There's no shame in emulating another player if his/her playstyle works well. I don't try to be like any one player, but it's good to experiment with what others are doing, find out what works for you, and move on from there.

condemned_soul

Smash Champion
F-air> U-tilt> long jump U-air> DAC (Dash Attack Cancel)> F-air> U-tilt> U-air> F-smash on captain falcon on Battlefield.

it was amazing because he couldnt do anything. Melee Mario FTW

Matt07

Smash Master
@Calebyte I do to, so bad, lots of Mario mains are going to that.

Switching mains does generally make you improve with your main before you come back. You learned the information you put into other characters, and use it with your main to make yourself improve. Not only the character, but as a player in general.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
@Calebyte I do to, so bad, lots of Mario mains are going to that.

Switching mains does generally make you improve with your main before you come back. You learned the information you put into other characters, and use it with your main to make yourself improve. Not only the character, but as a player in general.
This is very true.

I approve of this statement.

SKidd

Smash Master
Let's all switch to Ganon and see how we progress <3
and MK is for ***s ;_;

Fire!

Smash Champion
NNID
Fire149
3DS FC
2809-9924-8928
Yeah, at least we're doing better then some of the other boards I've seen.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Let's all switch to Ganon and see how we progress <3
and MK is for ***s ;_;
Well, to be fair, playing Ganon helps you learn to read, bait, and punish your opponents better, since, well, to be honest, he has jack-**** going for him (except SideB, but that helps with reading too and Uair), and you pretty much have to progress as a player to use him.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Guys, Evo 2010 was amazing.

If only more of you were there. I got a picture with Daigo. =)

And hippiedude, I'm back at home.

I got to play around with MvC3 there, and watching the grand finals was hella amazing. There was also a casual Brawl station, but not too many good players.

If you know Rina-chan, she was there and cosplayed as Juri (SSF4) and Athena (King of Fighters) during the event.

Top Bottom