• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Boards: General Discussion

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
It was, it definitely was. Regardless of my seeding I can still say that it was probably the best tournament I've ever been to. I really enjoy free stuff all day. My only complaint is that we couldn't friendly whenever we wanted to.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I don't do frame research. I just read it in my spare time.

And I don't know what frame you can slide out of F-tilt. Doesn't matter much to me anyway. F-tilt is one of those moves that is safe unless your opponent is buffering dumb **** during shieldstun, in which case it's possible for them to shieldgrab your foot if you're close enough.

And Xero, you were sliding backwards with those F-tilts right? Yeah that F-tilt slide. Honestly the best use for it is gimmicky baiting. Jab sliding, I don't know a thing about (unless it was in fact the F-tilt slide), but I can't imagine my response is going to be much different.

But as I recall, if you use a nametag, the way you can TIME the F-tilt slide, watch your nametag and iirc it dips down and then comes back up. Like, right at the moment it is coming back up, that is when you can slide. I think someone else pointed out that it has to do with when Mario is drawing back his foot or something.

Veggi

Smash Champion
I'm going to take a guess that Mario has frames during his ftilt that let him slide back the same way Peach has frames in her dtilt that let her slide back when there is a move being buffered during her dtilt.

However, I feel like it should be easy to do if buffering is possible (whack spot dodge anyone?) Yet, it's not easy to do, which confuses me. : /

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
The thing is you can't actually buffer the tilt slide. It has to be timed precisely. And if I were to make a guess, getting a noticeable slide is probably a 1 frame window. An unbufferable 1 frame window, which is by far the hardest task to accomplish in a video game that runs at 60 frames per second, especially when the fluidity of controls in a game like Smash enables countless numbers of possibilities in which many of them may not be strictly desireable.

Mario's F-tilt is interruptable by any action after frame 24 (consistent with our frame data), but that is not how long the entire animation of F-tilt lasts. Beyond the IASA window, you have to account for the entire animation that occurs after frame 24, which includes the moment as Mario is bringing his foot backwards.

Not only is this extremely hard to do, the uses for it are ridiculously situational and gimmicky. The safety of ANY attack in this game, Mario's F-tilt included is questionable when going up against someone who has the guts to buffer random **** during shieldstun. Learning the F-tilt slide isn't going to stop people from buffering a shieldgrab or Snake's F-tilt to punish you.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Well holy **** Matt, you're right. I do have mod powers on this board. When did this happen? Also, sorry I'm so inactive recently. My comp died a while back and haven't gotten it fixed yet, so I only check a few threads on my GF's comp every now and again and on Wiinet.

Man, I missed MLG, and now I have to miss the Showdown since people keep quitting at work and I have to pick up the slack...

EDIT: Ahhh... got it, it's the new DL powers. Weird I don't have these in the Kirby room though, since I'm there more often.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I finished the first Viewtiful Joe on Ultra V rated.

Get at me dawg.

Not gonna lie...it was hard. It was like going through the game without getting hit once until I got a take 2.

Monkley6

Smash Journeyman
I finished the first Viewtiful Joe on Ultra V rated.

Get at me dawg.

Not gonna lie...it was hard. It was like going through the game without getting hit once until I got a take 2.
What the fuuuuu...!? I don't own it sooo I haven't even beaten it yet.. But it's definitely a kickass game. I'm on episode 5 i think? whichever one has all the bosses consecutively.

Hopefully I'll be seeing you in the next few months matador, once i get my license (hopefully soon). You're in the MD/VA area right?

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
What the fuuuuu...!? I don't own it sooo I haven't even beaten it yet.. But it's definitely a kickass game. I'm on episode 5 i think? whichever one has all the bosses consecutively.

Hopefully I'll be seeing you in the next few months matador, once i get my license (hopefully soon). You're in the MD/VA area right?
Omg, that stage is SOOOOO hard on Ultra V...Hulk Davidson (I think that's his name, it's been awhile :laugh:) pretty much 1HKO's you unless he hits you in Slow Motion. That's usually not a problem if you can gauge your VFX well, but then there's sometimes that fire on the ground that you have to Mach Speed out of or it'd take like 7 hearts from you. He'd sometimes sneak a hit in there too...lil *******. Took me forever to beat that stage.

...Man I loved that game. No GC or Wii anymore unfortunately so I can't play it.

Matador,
you play WiFi?
Nah, no Wii. I'm saving up for a new one now though. Should have one between now and next month.

SMG2 baby, lol.

Veggi

Smash Champion
Speaking of Wiis that don't work, mine stopped reading discs a couple of days ago si I tried giving it the N64 treatment and I got it to work for one play time and then it didn't work any time after that despite me blowing into it. Because blowing in it worked one time, it leads me to believe that the disc reader has dust in it or something. I'm wondering if I should find some way to clean out he Wii or send it in.

It's sad, but I don't actually know how I would send it in.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I think the first great Mario we have is going to be the one that can gimp really well.

Like, the first one to really utilize his tools offstage and is able to consistently gimp characters like Diddy and sometimes MK will be able to stand up against MLG contenders.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
That's probably my main letdown as a Mario user. I rarely ever achieve gimps, and rarely ever try to gimp. My focus when playing Mario is damage and KOs. Don't get me wrong, I know how to edgeguard. I just focus on dealing consistent safe damage when edgeguarding, and keeping my opponent offstage through resets.

The gimps I usually get are stagespiking people with Up-B when they mess up lol.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Exactly, it's the same thing with me.

We all know Mario has the tools to gimp reliably. I just don't think we do it enough or well enough.

At least, I know I don't.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
As for Cape, what I really expect Mario users to do with it is implement it more as an actual attack.

The fact it is disjointed really can't be ignored, especially when you realize that one of Mario's biggest problems is a lack of a solid forward approach. Spacing aerial Cape as a pseudo F-air is actually a pretty safe tactic if you know how to space it. Now if only it did more damage...

And then there's those developer intended shenanigans you get by making someone whiff by turning them around. Cape "combos" are pretty legit when used intelligently.

condemned_soul

Smash Champion
awww I would love to try that out one day. The only luigi main near me is Themann but hes in far far away land as we speak I think.

JUDGE

Smash Lord
muhahahaha izaw,one of the best links of the world, is confirmed for the tourney in berlin xDD

get at me guys^^

EDIT:
btw would you guys help me to analyse my opponents on the tourney?
i'm thinking of making a thread in which i post some vids of my opponents who i can possibly loose to and some vids of my mario
and i wanted to ask you guys,whether you could help me finding some strategys (weaknesses etc.)
my goal is to place at least in the top 30 or something^^

Veggi

Smash Champion
I need to send my Wii in for repair because it won't read discs. I don't know how to do that though. I'm on their page now. Does anyone have any experience with this that could help me?

Top Bottom