• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Boards: General Discussion

Douhneill

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Douhneill
This is the thing about Luigi. He's the personification of "P2".

But here's the thing: Understand that although P2 ends up playing less than P1 in the same game, they are usually about equal skill regardless. This would logically mean that P2 has more raw untapped potential and skill than P1, though he never has the time to fully train himself or get any attention, since he's just P2.

This is Luigi's story. Luigi, although being portrayed in some stories as an easily scared, sometimes dumb, 'inferior' version of Mario, He is, and has been proven to be on multiple occasions, a formidable, courageous, and honourable hero; one who has surpassed Mario in multiple aspects (such as NOT being kidnapped by Bowser multiple times - 64 DS doesn't count), but will never receive the respect he deserves since, as P2, he doesn't spend enough time actually doing the heroing stuff.

Monkley6

Smash Journeyman
All this luigi talk reminds me of snake's codec taunts, or whatever they're called, on shadow moses island. Check out the one with luigi :)

mars16

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5429-8906-2115
Luigi is fake and gay
Your talking about Mario's younger Brother who is infact a better killer!

Luigi(Like Mario) Has his on princess to ****

Mario is cooler though... and is always first

Luigi's Backup and thats what makes Luigi Cool, in ways

condemned_soul

Smash Champion
I think luigi was made good where they put him. luigi imo is in marios background and that right there could relate to the fact that people could remember someone that shined over them at one point and made them seem like they were in the background(AKA most likely a big brother). when SSB64 came out, my older brother bought it and ended up being a mario main while i main luigi. I wonder how many of the luigi mains are little brothers or people who always want the underdogs to win in anything lol.

SKidd

Smash Master
I backup Snake, but use Luigi for counterpicks sometimes. I generally like to use Mario in Mario games...
P1 is where it's at

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Random things that I request all Mario mains to do:

-Implement U-tilt better. Punish airdodges and anti-air with it, don't just force it in combos.
-Make up your mind about killing with Up-smash or D-smash. Either is viable, but only if fresh.
-AutoJab more especially against spotdodges. Hold the A button when doing Jabs and learn to release after Jab 2 in order to Jab cancel. Furthermore learn to hit confirm it the way I have where you can react to when Jab2 sweetspots.
-Use D-air to punish airdodges instead of fishing for U-air juggles. Much more reliable and resets the situation.
-Jabs -> F-smash near the edge
-Know exactly when F-smash out of shield is viable. It's situational, but definitely very applicable (try it against ledge getup attacks).
-Fullhop U-air -> buffered D-air (no fastfall) autocanceling. This is a nifty vertical spacing trick that I keep in my pocket.
-U-air out of shield (something that even I don't do enough of, but trust me, it has a lot of potential).
-Use Cape as an aerial attack

Implement all those things into your current game, and I guarantee you'll become a lot better.

Calebyte

Smash Lord
I usually punish a lot with d-smash, so u-smash is probably my best option. However, I think d-smash could be a better option vs. heavies like Snake. You won't be killing Snake with u-smash until >160% (I think), but d-smash at the same percentage wold get him far off stage and provide some edge-guarding options. Thoughts?

I'm also not really comfortable using Cape as a psuedo-fair, because if it's whiffed or avoided, the ending lag can be punished pretty easily.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I usually punish a lot with d-smash, so u-smash is probably my best option. However, I think d-smash could be a better option vs. heavies like Snake. You won't be killing Snake with u-smash until >160% (I think), but d-smash at the same percentage wold get him far off stage and provide some edge-guarding options. Thoughts?

I'm also not really comfortable using Cape as a psuedo-fair, because if it's whiffed or avoided, the ending lag can be punished pretty easily.
D-smash as I recall actually kills Snake earlier due to the more horizontal knockback (he is heavier vertically). The main downside about D-smash is that there are fewer opportunities to charge it. I've tried a lot of ways to implement charging D-smash...and the thing is U-smash is ALWAYS better in those situations. And keep in mind, by charging U-smash you can kill Snake in the 130s.

Kills him more like around 150% if he DIs the hit. Not a huge difference. If his F-tilt is stale, you can D-smash him out of shield pretty easily though (when moves are fresh, they also do more shieldstun and pushback since the equation for knockback and shieldstun is directly related to damage dealt).

The thing about Cape that makes it useful as a F-air is the stalling properties and the disjoint. Like, I've found it particularly useful against Ness in particular, since it outranges his moves and avoids his grab very reliably.

SKidd

Smash Master
his name is Bo bo bo bo bo bo bo not box
even i know that silly ness main

Inferno3044

Smash Master
Just talking about the cape right now as an aerial. The only thing that makes it not as good is the fact that you stop moving when using it. It's a good mix up but that's about it.

Btw the term for gimping with the cape should be officially called pimp handing! All in favor?

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
His hero is ook. I 3 stocked him, avenging Boss because he 3 stocked boss a few months ago.. lol.

Call me box one more time and I'll tie you down to a chair and make you watch me gimp ness 100 times at kirk's next tourney!

SKidd

Smash Master
what if he calls you bawcks
and OMG ROB is under your name now :L
oh well I guess they can't all stay

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
what if he calls you bawcks
and OMG ROB is under your name now :L
oh well I guess they can't all stay
Yea I feel that Im not improving with mario anymore. My rob is better than my mario now. But don't let me stop you from gimping NESS. SWING DEM YELLOW BLANKETS.

Kanzaki

Smash Champion
Random things that I request all Mario mains to do:

-Don't suck.

Implement all those things into your current game, and I guarantee you'll become a lot better.

Dajayman

Banned via Administration
Ness not liking water is totally legit, who likes getting wet with their clothes on?
He doesn't mind the yellow blanket because it dries him off before reversing his momentum to his doom.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
His hero is ook. I 3 stocked him, avenging Boss because he 3 stocked boss a few months ago.. lol.

Call me box one more time and I'll tie you down to a chair and make you watch me gimp ness 100 times at kirk's next tourney!
I laughed because I think it'd be funny to watch this.

I fail as a Ness main for that. But he's still a good kid <3.

Top Bottom