• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Boards: General Discussion

vato_break

Smash Master
Imo learning another character it might teach you to think outside of the box, it might help you realize new options mario has by using the options of other characters in a similar fashion. Using another character might rid you of any bad habits you have which is a good thing!

JUDGE

Smash Lord
i actually love using fox, i have the feeling as if he is a kinda better version of mario
(but some MU arestill unplayable such as pika and sheik)

Jimmyfosho

Smash Hero
Being sarcastic and pointing out the obvious.
Squirtle is more like Melee Mario than Brawl Mario is.
squirtle is still sexy just like mario(Pt is my second main) .. & i think this is my first post in the general discussion so.. hi people im just a wifi mario main right now sadly but sometime in the future ill be going to offline tourneys.. one day when im not lazy.. lol so.. nice to meet you all? lol

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Me playing a secondary defeats the purpose of me still playing this game...

That purpose being repping Mario and placing well with him.

JuxtaposeX

Smash Lord
^ exactly how i feel Matador, cept I need to find tournies or something around here :/
I dont do so well on WiFi

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I admire your devotion to the character Matador.

I can't claim such devotion...my true nature is calculating and ruthless. I seek to surpass and destroy my opposition through whatever creative means occur to me. I can't just stick to one character for tournament, as it inhibits my creativity.

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
I love Mario but I hate losing to people over and over again.. lol

There's a handful of characters mario can not beat, that is what secondaries are for. Just saying, even the best Mario doesn't use him enough, lol.

KirinBlaze

Smash Lord
NNID
KirinBlaze
Seriously. There are just dumb match-ups Mario has and it doesn't matter how good you are with the character, you'll lose to those stupid match-ups more then you'll win them. Even against stupid people with minimal knowledge of the game or that character. That's annoying. There's no reason to limit your own potential because of your character.

I just stopped giving a ****. RandomKnight? Snake Ftilt up the ***. Enough of this having to work so hard against people who have no business beating you.

Matt07

Smash Master
I guess, depends how you look at it. Like I think "Why pick up a secondary, I have to learn every match-up again. When I could just practice getting better on match-ups that I have trouble with?"

Veggi

Smash Champion
Mario is my best character against MK so I just use him. I really feel like I can't do better with any other character other than maybe DK. However, against really good MK mains my DK fails me a lot.

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
I guess, depends how you look at it. Like I think "Why pick up a secondary, I have to learn every match-up again. When I could just practice getting better on match-ups that I have trouble with?"
Its worth it. Because you're not beating good mks with Mario. People shouldn't limit themselves, use a secondary who can handle Mario's bad match ups.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Yeah this is where I'm dumb, I don't actually use anyone who is able to deal with Metaknight...

Famous

Smash Champion
Lol, it's funny since most of our secondaries gets ***** by MK...I dropped G&W for a character thats beats NK quite handily...My roster now is Mario/Luigi/????

I use to go Mario 100% of the time during tournies...then it got to the point to where my opponent would just say "it's only Mario"...If I won I would just get gheyed by a ******** counterpick or try to be timed out..It's annoying as hell that you can't fight scrooging..

TheBlossomingLily

Stitchface King
NNID
BlossomingLily
3DS FC
1736-0702-8981
No way in hell I'm using a character that can't float, so I'm sticking with Peach, lol~

I've had some victories against
Meta Knight (and before you ask, WITHOUT lucky Bob-ombs or Beam Swords or Mr.Saturns or Stitchface turnips lol), but I had to study the match-up soooo much more than I thought I would have to. It's sad because I still see a lot of people who aren't adjusting/tilting their shields into angles so that Meta Knight's "Whorenado" (is that what people are calling it here?) won't shield-poke them. Or other people who aren't SDI-ing to be able to hit him out of it.

Now that I think about it,
Meta Knight must be the character I probably use N-Air on the most. XD

Marth players still **** me...
:(

Kanzaki

Smash Champion
I'm sorry Lucky Pikachu, your font hurts my eyes, so I didn't read what you said >.>

Anywho, I try to go all Mario, but my philosophy is, if they play gay, I'll just out gay them with Fox :]

A few months back in my first tourney after a long break, first round was against a Metaknight, he opened the match with a tornado, and just spammed nado and dsmash. It was so jewish, so second round I picked Fox and spammed lasers xD I ended up winning that match, I think I made him mad =/

Kanzaki

Smash Champion
Oh Bo, you have no idea how me and my friends are offline, and what we usually enter as for doubles xD

An example: Chuck Norris knows Jewjitsu >.>

Veggi

Smash Champion
When I use Peach against MK the stupidest stuff always happens. One time I pulled a bomb and shielded right before a tornado hit me, the tornado set off the bomb and killed him, winning me the match. Other times I just get bombs at lucky places and throw them at his tornado or landing shuttle loop or w/e.

One time I was about to lose and the MK SL'd my shield right next to the edge so I grabbed onto to the edge and won. Also, it was a close match on Smashville and I grabbed MK on the moving platform, then air released him into an unavoidable running up smash. I was so proud of myself. XD

Kind of unrelated, but there was a Snake that roll dodged a lot in a match where I plucked a bomb so I walked up to him and he roll dodged behind me. Let's just say...he died. XD

Suspect

Smash Hero
All my characters get ***** by marth, with the exception of diddy kong...in which i still hate that matchup

Marf is ****in annoying

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
I'm not limiting myself by just playing Mario, IT'S THE ONLY CHARACTER I CAN PLAY, or ever will be able to play. In fact, there's no reason to use any other character otherwise I'll just get bored of the game.

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
I play several characters that I could easily use as a secondary. But I don't. I have learned how to fight all of my bad match-ups with Sonic. If I feel it's ABSOLUTELY necessary to use someone other than Sonic, I'll go Luigi or Fox. But I'm hardheaded like Xero.

Douhneill

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Douhneill
Well, there's another part of picking up a secondary to use for certain matchups. For example, I might decide I want to play as fox or TL against someone just because it's more fun or gimmicky that way (campiest. matches. ever). Hell, it might not even be the right decision.
But that's not the point if you feel like you're in a slump. When you're feeling like you can't evolve in a particular situation, don't try to. Just do what you feel would be an interesting thing to do. Try out new characters, check out some hacks (if you're interested in that kind of thing), spend some time doing ******** stuff like 99 stock super sudden death on Bridge of eldin with only explosives on, whatever. Brawl is still a game before it is a sport, and if you lose that, there's no reason to continue.

At least, that's how it works for me. I've been playing Mario a lot more recently just 'cause now there's other people for me to face. I hope you can find out what works for you.

Top Bottom