• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Boards: General Discussion

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
That last stock was SEEEEEEXY! My man Hippie spacing like a champ. I swear if I combined my Mario with yours, it'd be da bess...you made some really smart decisions there, and they seemed instinctively quick.

You already pointed out the main mistake I saw, which is one everyone makes. You had some openings that it looked like you were trying to capitalize on, but it didn't happen. You have great spacing and it looks like you're good on the match-up despite how the majority of it played out.

That spike was nice. Jo~P would be proud. And Lmao @ your tag.

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
Osht Hippy look at that sexy 13th placing. The MK matchup sucks though, in fact I want to vent about it somewhere so I'll interrupt this with MK ranting.

**** that punk *** ***** ***** *** character, I will shove my fist down his throat and rip out his ****ing stomache once I find some way to beat his **** ***. **** YOU METAKNIGHT.

Anyway, now that that's over with. Good ****! But I bet you (and Kirin too) would be able to place better! *insert another metaknight rant here*

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
The reason why Castle Seige is good against Ness and Lucas is because the 2nd transformation is a free opportunity to stale your fireballs. The inclines on the 1st and 3rd transformation have a few useful autocancel exploits for Mario to toy with as well.

Matt07

Smash Master
Hippie, good **** bringing it back. That f-air was sweet lol. Also does Mario's n-air beat out MK's SL? Watch at 2:26 O_o.

Famous

Smash Champion
No it doesn't, it the Fair was just timed well...there's a frame that leaves MK vunerable to an attack during SL. Me and Kadaj spiked MK's like that occasionally...It's kinda funny when your actually able to read a SL

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
It's surprising that it outright beat SL though...I can only ever trade with the initial hit.

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
MLG Columbus will probably be my last competitive tournament. After playing WiFi for a bit I realized there's absolutely no point for me to be trying to play this game competitively. I'm complete trash and can't even beat the simplest of strategies.

I'll probably still post around here, although less often until I eventually stop posting altogether.

Matt07

Smash Master
Xero, I know exactly how you feel. But no reason to quit over WiFi. You place good offline, and that's where it counts.

Edit: Lol like Hippie, I'm down to play friendlies, I have highspeed again so we won't lag...that much, hopefully.

JuxtaposeX

Smash Lord
Hey guys I did something pretty interesting with Mario today, but I can't figure out a way to repeat it...

I was hanging off the ledge of FD and I did something (don't remember exactly what, I think I dropped down), then I walljumped off the ledge and was able to fair towards the blast zone. I tried it again in training mode but couldn't do it, I would always snap onto the ledge instead of being able to walljump off it...

I'll go get pics right now so you could get a better idea of what I mean...

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
It's known, it's a technique where you walljump off a ledge instead of grabbing it. I forget its name though, but every character with a walljump can do it.

JuxtaposeX

Smash Lord
I forgot to ask; how do I do it?
I like that fairing at that range without making it blatantly obvious by running across the screen. Friends will ****bricks when they get gimped that way.

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
Well, on certain stages you can use the walljumping elements of the stage (BF, FD, YI, ect.) to Fair them. On other stages you'll have to do the instant walljump technique which I'm not even very good at doing, you'll probably have to look it up. Generally I just don't try to walljump on those stages anyway.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
In the next Smash game, I theorize that there will be a new technique that lets characters turn around while dropping from the ledge.

Like holy ****, I had a dream where I was visualizing Mario doing that and landing F-air spikes all day for edgeguards.

Yes I dream about video games a lot. I even have dreams where I'm beating top players in Smash or dreams where I actually am a Nintendo character.

JuxtaposeX

Smash Lord
I guess I accidentally did an 'instant walljump' since I didn't have to drop down low to walljump on FD and i still had my 2nd jump. I gotta learn that tech, its ganna make everyone wet themselves.

I don't plan to do it all the time anyways, rather go gimpy with fireballs and FLUDD, but its good to mix stuff up

Edit: @ A2, I visualize myself doing that too, except they survive the FAIR and then get OWNT by the 2nd FAIR. Yay for weak meteor smashes?

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
MLG Columbus will probably be my last competitive tournament. After playing WiFi for a bit I realized there's absolutely no point for me to be trying to play this game competitively. I'm complete trash and can't even beat the simplest of strategies.

I'll probably still post around here, although less often until I eventually stop posting altogether.
Don't quit cuz you lose, that's silly.

MY NEW HOMEPAGE IS THE MARIO XAT! I AM GOING TO BE ON THERE 24/7! WE AS MARIOS NEED TO GET MORE ACTIVE N STUFF! OUR MORALE IS LULZY RIGHT NOW.

Douhneill

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Douhneill
I guess I accidentally did an 'instant walljump' since I didn't have to drop down low to walljump on FD and i still had my 2nd jump. I gotta learn that tech, its ganna make everyone wet themselves.
It's really easy to do on stages like Yoshi's Island for obvious reasons, actually. And really fun when you catch someone off guard.

Edit: @ A2, I visualize myself doing that too, except they survive the FAIR and then get OWNT by the 2nd FAIR. Yay for weak meteor smashes?
Lol. Mario Spike FTL. Bbrawl Mario Spike FTW. Brawl- Mario Spike For Teh Lulz.

Kanzaki

Smash Champion
Would someone like to do doubles ladder with me on AiB? xD

I don't take wifi seriously, but I <3 doubles, and all that competition stuff ^^

I play next to my computer tooooo with a mic!! Even a web cam.. if you're into that kind of stuff >.>

KirinBlaze

Smash Lord
NNID
KirinBlaze
Xero, that's why I picked up Snake and Pit. You don't have to not use Mario.

I still play Mario/Link but when stupid things or people come around I don't hesitate to use Snake or someone gay to beat them. Once you get past the mindset of being a 'Good Mario Player' and get into the mindset of being a 'Good Player' the game becomes a lot more fun.

Play Mario in the match-ups you feel comfortable in and just pick someone else up to deal with the rest of the stupid things in this game. Playing different characters is sometimes the thing you need to take your game to the next level and become better as a player.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I bet if we all started off as Metaknights, then switched to Mario afterwards, we'd all be amazing...

moreso, I mean.

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
Xero, that's why I picked up Snake and Pit. You don't have to not use Mario.

I still play Mario/Link but when stupid things or people come around I don't hesitate to use Snake or someone gay to beat them. Once you get past the mindset of being a 'Good Mario Player' and get into the mindset of being a 'Good Player' the game becomes a lot more fun.

Play Mario in the match-ups you feel comfortable in and just pick someone else up to deal with the rest of the stupid things in this game. Playing different characters is sometimes the thing you need to take your game to the next level and become better as a player.
I've tried picking up other characters... and I've always been terrible with them. I literally CAN'T play anybody but Mario.

bleyva

Smash Ace
I've tried picking up other characters... and I've always been terrible with them. I literally CAN'T play anybody but Mario.
what about luigi? theyre practically brothers :3

not to mention top 8 potential at MLG

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
My Luigi is pretty good, although he's not as good as my Mario. Like I dunno, I get lazy when using Luigi, because a lot of his combos are easier to do than Mario's, since his general strategy favors rushdown more than Mario's. So I get sloppy and try to fish for kill moves hoping that my opponent will run into them.

But I can confidently say from experience, I really think Mario's defensive game is what makes him unique from Luigi. Mario's spacing game in general is safer and more effective, and he has more reliable ways of punishing approaches or stuffing them.

I've been considering switching my first main back to G&W, since I realized that I can actually win certain matchups pretty easily with him. And besides, when I do go to a tournament, I want to make a point that I know my characters better than anyone else and destroy good players with techniques that they have never seen. Just from watching other videos of most other G&W users, I just feel that I could do better than most of them.

I would still definitely use Mario in tournament, but not for my hardest matchups (except maybe the Ice Climbers lol).

TheBlossomingLily

Stitchface King
NNID
BlossomingLily
3DS FC
1736-0702-8981
It's sad how many people out there think that Luigi and Mario are about the same in Brawl when they're really not. Mario's cape and F.L.U.D.D are just too cool and unique, lol. And they have much more noticable differences than certain other characters...

...*cough*
Captain Falcon and Ganondorf *cough*

And going out of subject...HI
MARIO MAINS!!! I'm just a bored Peach main that got bored and wanted to see what kind of conversations happen in the Mario Social Discussion Thread. :3

Top Bottom