• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Boards: General Discussion

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Let's get it Kirin! We countin on you!

Don't hate me if there's a stream and I'm rooting for both sides...

<3 me some Pink Fresh XD

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
Im pretty sure Kirin can beat him.

And Pink is lucky that I don't stay at the east coast =). The only low tier I lose to is falcon Ally.

JuxtaposeX

Smash Lord
Meh... Wii doesn't read GC games for more than 10-15 mins, but reads Wii games fine...
Anyone had this happen to them before and know how to fix?

<---- Wants to play Twilight Princess

SKidd

Smash Master
Meh... Wii doesn't read GC games for more than 10-15 mins, but reads Wii games fine...
Anyone had this happen to them before and know how to fix?

<---- Wants to play Twilight Princess
... You don't have a Gamecube?
Call Nintendo :confused:

P.S. How do I change the subtitle thing under my name? Condemned's is different >.<

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Hey guys, something occurred to me a long time ago. People don't use ENOUGH Fireballs against Ness and Lucas.

I'm dead serious. You want your Fireballs COMPLETELY stale against those two characters. So counterpick Castle Seige against these characters more lol.

I'll leave it to you guys to understand why. Unless you beg for the answer. =P

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
No, I don't want my fireballs completely stale, I'm going to use fireballs in the Lucas matchup strategically, and not spam them like a fool. Using more fireballs in an attempt to camp is just gonna give Lucas health TRUST ME, I KNOW THE PAIN OF LUCAS RECOVERING HEALTH!!!!!!! I KNOW!! 200%!!! MY FIREBALLS!!!

But seriously I'm not using more fireballs than I have to vs. Lucas, I don't really care how I use them vs. Ness, but I generally use them as I do against every character... well.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
XeroXen, that's why you want your fireballs STALE RIGHT FROM THE BEGINNING OF THE MATCH.

Camp his *** off until you know your fireballs are stale. His options for approaching past fireballs are really not that good, so go ahead with that in the beginning. Proceed with the match as normal after that.

Fireballs are meant to create openings, not to actually damage him, so the less reward he gets from absorbing a fireball, the better this tactic works.

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
A2, that's pointless if you can prevent him from absorbing the fireballs in the first place.

I knew what you were getting at, but I'd rather just prevent it as a whole. I'm not saying that fireballs still wouldn't be a great approach, I'm just saying that instead of getting them stale just use them strategically, to me every percent counts.

I mean, it's not hard to punish him as he falling from aerial lag with a fireball, and rush in with a grab/dair/spaced bair/reverse uair or something like that. I just can't stand when he absorbs too many fireballs. But mabye that's just me. I'm sure that camping and staling fireballs would prove effective if you're trying to lower the amount of damage he heals, but the best solution would be to prevent him from absorbing the fireballs at all. IMO, anyway.

Oh yeah, A2. I'm starting to see you as a much smarter guy than I used to, some of the stuff you used to say I would disregard (like stuff that didn't seem to make a big difference) but lately I've come to realize that some of that stuff is really great! (Using the leanback on Fsmash, for example. I started doing that a while ago and it's sexy) Although I still disagree with you on this regard.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
In theory, if you only use fireballs to punish ending lag, that would work just fine, but that's not the best way to be using fireballs. Lucas is supposed to counter the best way Mario can use fireballs as active space control tools, since trades with fireball absorbing and Mario doing an aerial are not usually favorable (he heals more damage than he takes in this situation normally). Using fireballs "intelligently" might not even work if he has the balls to just take a hit and still get a net gain of health.

And he WILL be looking to absorb fireballs since he can magnet cancel, which you can obviously bait, but still, he WILL be absorbing fireballs if you implement them, and chances are you need to implement them in this matchup.

Most of us limit ourselves too much from using fireballs because of this fact alone, so if you can make that a non-issue and STILL get your "free" followups, that will make the matchup a lot easier. Most of the damage Mario deals is through his aerials and Smashes, so getting less damage from random hits with fireballs isn't much to cry about, especially if the registered stale fireballs is increasing your overall damage output from your other attacks.

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
I still don't see your point. Mario has other options besides fireballing to beat Lucas's camping and approach, you don't even NEED to use them half the time. Spamming them mindlessly in the beggining to stale them isn't really going to change anything. I still hold strong that doing so would be absolutely pointless, and would only hurt you during the game, rather than help you. Actually, camping in itself would be a time-waster, since chances are he either shield the fireballs, absorb the fireballs (dumb idea at the beggining of the game anyway) or find a way around them. If they're not hitting, then they can't be staled. Not only that, but I'm not really a big fan of camping for the sake of camping in the first place. We have better options against Lucas, so there's no point.

To be honest, I'd much rather just walk up and up-b him. It sounds more fun and it actually works for some odd reason.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Well they do limit his options quite a bit, it's just we don't exploit that enough because we're scared to. =/

The thing I see about this matchup is that a lot of us probably are doing poorly at the matchup since he's punishing us for being too offensive (Mario at his fundamentals I believe is a very defensive character, as well as Lucas), and that's why I suggested my solution.

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
Offensive? I play completely different from Offensive, especially in this matchup. Fireballs aren't needed to play defensively, and I've already figured out that Mario's defensive game >>>>>>>>>>> Mario's offensive game, even though his offense is pretty solid, his defense is just too **** good.

Suspect

Smash Hero
*Allen Iverson Voice*

"This is Lucas we are talking about....not Metaknight....not Metaknight...Lucas"

Kanzaki

Smash Champion
Only spam fireballs against Lucas/Ness when they're at 0% to put pressure, other than that, use your fireballs smartly.

Staling your fireballs mean ****, all it means is they're just gonna absorb 0.05555554% less from before.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Lucas iirc recovers exactly 200% of the damage he would have taken from a projectile (Ness I think recovers 150%).

So every 1 less % you do means he recovers 2% less.

If you are doing only 3 damage per fireball, he's recovering 6 health, which is less damage than your Jab combo.

I think it's VERY worth getting your fireballs stale, since you're only using them to stun and limit his options. And for the record, he can absorb them on reaction and magnet cancel, which he WILL do if you use fireballs.

However if your fireballs are fresh, he's recovering about 10% per fireball, which is more damage than most of your throws, and more damage than your aerials which usually should be stale in most matches.

I think my solution is simpler and safer. And it's a reason to counterpick Castle Siege.

NNID
LilG912
Hey guys, something occurred to me a long time ago. People don't use ENOUGH Fireballs against Ness and Lucas.

I'm dead serious. You want your Fireballs COMPLETELY stale against those two characters. So counterpick Castle Seige against these characters more lol.

I'll leave it to you guys to understand why. Unless you beg for the answer. =P
A2ZOMG, lol I already know this, they all like "FEED MEH, FEED MEH", I like those matchups. Plus they want to pick FD all day so they can magnet cancel so bad to take advantage and try to win.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
^ same, but why castle siege ?

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=274988 (i went mario luigi) (look at them mks)

i got the nastiest all or nothing game 3 spike with mario on mk

but i still lose to mks fml.

vids laterzzz on kirinz wii i thinkzzzz

edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcN022DLqnA&playnext_from=TL&videos=uU2_yoyq_a0

i realize i have a ton of bad habits, and my mindset wasn't in synch with my tech skill, so they were alot of things i wanted to do, but some of my frustration got best of me. any help would be appreciated.

Top Bottom